Options

New PC advice: Sell me a mac..

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Cool, your results are similar to the other dual 2.5 ghz mac.

Anybody with a dual core pentium?
    pathfinder wrote:
    I run a Mac dual 2.5 Ghz with 4 GB Ram and did the radial blur in 40 seconds, so the Mac Quad is very fast.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    I don't know anyone (yet) w/ a dual-dual-core AMD setup. Although if my buddy gets the system he's looking at, I'll be sure and have him run this benchmark. He is also a CS (not CS2) user like myself. I've got a friend w/ a dual-core Athlon 3800+.. basically the exact same wintel system I've priced above, minus some memory. I'm trying to get him to run the benchmark for me too. He's accross the pond in Germany and seems to selectively respond to email somedays though..

As for Intel, yes there are dual-core Xeon procs supposedly available. Although w/ a quick look at NewEgg and MWave I can't find them anywhere, so I wonder if they are actually available to us commoners. Although Intel's new product nomenclature has me pretty confused anyway, so I could be looking right at them and just not realizing it. I have no idea what chipset/mobo you'd need to run this.

Chipset/mobo choices are aparently limited for both AMD and Intel multi-processor customers. In the AMD world aparently the only mobo maker worth a darn is Tyan. And the recommended boards all cost a pretty penny, require oversized cases and power supplies, and consume premium error correcting, registered memory. This is why the dual-core chips from both makers are so incredible. They effectively give you access to two processors at single processor component costs..
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Xeon's are aimed at the server crowd. I have an older Dell dual-Xeon 2.8 GHz system at work. But it runs linux... so no Photoshop test for me!

A Froogle search for "Xeon" and "Xeon motherboard" turns up several outlets... Tyan and SuperMicro seem to be the predominant MB makers.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Both AMD and Intel require you to buy their 'server' grade chips if you want a multi-processor workstation. Using Xeon's in high-end graphics workstations is reportedly very common. As I said, we have a bank of dual processor Opteron rigs at work for the rendering farm. Both of our graphic artists have dual processor Opteron based Boxx rigs under their desks as well. They scream.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Hijack!

Hijack!

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    No way, if we can get similar PC machines to run the test, and they wind up being slower than the macs, I would say that is pretty good reason to go mac, wouldn't you?

DavidTO wrote:
    Hijack!

Hijack!

"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    No way, if we can get similar PC machines to run the test, and they wind up being slower than the macs, I would say that is pretty good reason to go mac, wouldn't you?

Oh, OK....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    You're so transparent hehehehe
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, OK....
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Hijack all day long fishing for that kind of info. I'm actually going to hold off buying anything until I see or experience some more info on pshop performance on high end, modern wintels..

Turns out my German associate w/ the 3800+ X2 doesn't have pshop. (How on earth does he LIVE! headscratch.gif) He says it rocks his video editor though. (If that's your sort of thing!)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Not if the test is an artificial construct designed for one thing: to show off the Mac's speed at one kind of challenge.

More useful would be comparative times running typical Photoshop jobs. I don't use a max'd out radial blur very often. Ever, actually. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    How about a raw batch job? Or batch resize, sharpen, save on a set number of copies of the horse test photo?
    wxwax wrote:
    Not if the test is an artificial construct designed for one thing: to show off the Mac's speed at one kind of challenge.

More useful would be comparative times running typical Photoshop jobs. I don't use a max'd out radial blur very often. Ever, actually. naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    How about a raw batch job? Or batch resize, sharpen, save on a set number of copies of the horse test photo?
    That sounds like a more than fair test.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That sounds like a more than fair test.

I believe that part of the reason that the test is used is that it is a measure of processor performance independent of drive speed, etc. Your batch test would not isolate the processor as successfully.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I believe that part of the reason that the test is used is that it is a measure of processor performance independent of drive speed, etc. Your batch test would not isolate the processor as successfully.
    Sounds like a good reason. But if it's not a real world test, who cares? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Sounds like a good reason. But if it's not a real world test, who cares? ne_nau.gif

Of course it's a real world test. It's just a real world test of a specific component. It's not some arcane benchmark, but something that you would actually use your computer for. Maybe exaggerated, but something people do, nonetheless.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Of course it's a real world test. It's just a real world test of a specific component. It's not some arcane benchmark, but something that you would actually use your computer for. Maybe exaggerated, but something people do, nonetheless.
    Oh yeah? When's the last time you did a max'd out radial blur? And it is too arcane. blbl.gif

A relevant speed comparison would be for tasks that we usually use PS for. Anything else is pixel peeping masturbation designed to score points, not inform about practical effectiveness.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh yeah? When's the last time you did a max'd out radial blur? And it is too arcane. blbl.gif

A relevant speed comparison would be for tasks that we usually use PS for. Anything else is pixel peeping masturbation designed to score points, not inform about practical effectiveness.

Oh, yeah?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, yeah?
    :duel
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Windows is fugly. FUUUUGLLLY!

Now you might say that you don't care if it's pretty, but I'll tell you, it's poorly designed and it DOES affect it's usability.

Here's the evidence, screenshots of the yet to be released Vista (just a not so random few):

image005.jpg

Ugh. I don't have an iSync conflict window, but I'll tell you it's much more understandable. Pretty, too.

image034.jpg

and last, but not least:

outlookitemsharing_1.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    So, you're saying you prefer Apple?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    So, you're saying you prefer Apple?

Listen, Mr. Facetious, you already know the answer to that.

The request was made to sell him a Mac. I'm busy selling. So SHADDUP!

Bubba, ignore this man. He's just causing trouble.

And check out some of the wonderfulness that is Mac OS X Tiger:

Expose.

Spotlight.

Automator.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Well this might put a spring in your step. I have zero intention of "upgrading" to vista. I am going to stick with XP until I can get a working 16bit RAW converter on linux and a DVD slideshow creator.

But that is probably best left to another thread hehehe
    DavidTO wrote:
    Listen, Mr. Facetious, you already know the answer to that.

The request was made to sell him a Mac. I'm busy selling. So SHADDUP!

Bubba, ignore this man. He's just causing trouble.

And check out some of the wonderfulness that is Mac OS X Tiger:

Expose.

Spotlight.

Automator.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Windows is fugly. FUUUUGLLLY!

Fugly is as fugly does.

David, yer beating a dead horse here. Waxy, Shay, and these other guys are just not as enlightened as we are. It's okay. Really.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Fugly is as fugly does.

David, yer beating a dead horse here. Waxy, Shay, and these other guys are just not as enlightened as we are. It's okay. Really.

Bubba ain't dead yet!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    The latest PC Magazine has a favorable writeup of the 2.5 GHz G5 Quad. In it, they note a couple of benchmark results:

Photoshop CS2 Test Suite
    G5 Quad: 57 seconds
    Dell XPS 600: 1 minutes 3 seconds

Despite the small difference here, they note that this is significant and would add up over a week of work.

Cinebench Rendering Test
    G5 Quad: 1104
    Dell XPS 600: 667

The Dell system is only single processor, dual-core though... The price of the G5 Quad as tested: $7023. No price given for the Dell... My guess would be ~$4000.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    The latest PC Magazine has a favorable writeup of the 2.5 GHz G5 Quad. In it, they note a couple of benchmark results:

Photoshop CS2 Test Suite
    G5 Quad: 57 seconds
    Dell XPS 600: 1 minutes 3 seconds

Despite the small difference here, they note that this is significant and would add up over a week of work.

Cinebench Rendering Test
    G5 Quad: 1104
    Dell XPS 600: 667

The Dell system is only single processor, dual-core though... The price of the G5 Quad as tested: $7023. No price given for the Dell... My guess would be ~$4000.

How on earth do you get to $7023? I mean, did they throw a 30" display on that? There's no way that the G5 could get that high, without a bunch of add-ons that are meaningless for the test....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    How on earth do you get to $7023? I mean, did they throw a 30" display on that? There's no way that the G5 could get that high, without a bunch of add-ons that are meaningless for the test....

Type: Media, Business, Workstation
    Processor Family: Apple G5
    Installed RAM: 4096 MB
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1024 GB
    RAID: No
    Graphics Card: nVidia Quadro FX 4500
    Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
    Monitor Type: LCD Widescreen
    Monitor Size: 30 inches
    Notes: $9522; $7023 without monitor

Type: Gaming, Media
    Processor Family: Intel 8 Series (Pentium EE)
    Installed RAM: 1024 MB
    Hard Drive Capacity: 660 GB
    RAID: Yes
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX SLI
    Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
    Secondary Optical Drive: DVD-ROM
    Monitor Type: LCD Widescreen
    Monitor Size: 24 inches
    Notes: $5499 direct; $4699 without monitor

Gene
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    I don't know where they're pricing it, but from apple.com, that configuration is $6524.

Plus, a terabyte of hard disk space is meaningless in the comparison, and the 600gb drive you're comparing it to. With a 500gb drive installed the total is $5949.

That's with buying the RAM from apple, which one should never do, anyway.

Yeah, it still ends up being more, but like I said before, Windows is fugly and stupid. Case closed. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    You getting your virus definitions all primed up and ready? Second MAC virus reported you know. And I bet there are a bunch of zero day exploits hanging out there just waiting :-)

It's funny hearing the mac people talk about it. Instead of admitting that mac is vulnerable to virus like any high tech device, they start making excuses why this is not a big threat, all you have to do is turn off xyz, blah blah blah (sounds like some windows users hehehe). Embrace viruses, they exist, thinking you are immune is just asking for trouble.

The next two to three years should be interesting as I foresee some mac viruses that are going to nuke a lot of computers just like windows. Mac users will lose a lot of their naivety as they deal with security issues they have not had to worry about until now.

p.s. By the way, I'm not just blowing smoke here. I have been running my pc's without virus checking for a long time. They provide a false sense of security too as far as I am concerned. Assuming an OS is not secure, learned from using an unsecure OS, has helped me out a lot to remain virus free.

p.s.s I rambled on far more than intended. You may whack me to the ground when ready mwink.gif

DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, it still ends up being more, but like I said before, Windows is fugly and stupid. Case closed. :D