Lightbox causes Firefox to crash...

2»

Comments

• DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    I have isolated the problem and hopefully a fix will be out shortly - tell Andy to get testing! :D

Thanks JT! Now THATS what I'm talkin about! :D
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Have you tried the other Linux browsers? Just curious if the other Linux browsers (besides Firefox) crash with this...

No sorry, I didn't. Only the most recent version of Mozilla. I was at work and only checked because people at work were complaining the site was crashing their browsers when they went to look at my vacation pictures. Was glad that the useLightBox option existed because it was the only recourse I had. Of course the crash-o-rama started just after I had emailed the vacation link around... Sigh. Why is it everyone always has to try and re-invent the wheel?

Ken
    edited February 15, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    I have isolated the problem and hopefully a fix will be out shortly - tell Andy to get testing! :D

Sweet JT! Thanks for the response! I'll give it another try whenever the new fix is out. OneThumbs response caught me a bit off guard, glad you guys found something to fix. Man, I can't imagine the torture of developing and testing something like this...

Thanks again,

Ken
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    kwalsh wrote:
    Don you are *OUT OF LINE*. Learn to read. That's mozilla 1.7.12, the most recent version of Mozilla available in Linux. And guess what, it crashes mozilla 1.7.12 on Windows 2000 as well, not just Linux. I just tried it on my home machine. And guess what, lots of people don't use pathetic little FireFox. We use browsers like Mozilla that actually let the user configure something. I surf *everywhere* on the web and Mozilla *never* crashes. Maybe it displays something poorly formatted once in a blue moon but I've never seen it hard crash until today.

If your plan is to call every *compliant* browser on the market that hard crashes with your fancy little applet *obscure* then you're headed down a path I don't want to join you guys on.

It is inoperable, period. Fix it or yank it. I yanked it from my site (thanks for the option by the way) but there are others that don't have that option.

Ken

I'm sorry, I must have come off wrong.

It's like this:

- I have a limited amount of developers and time.
    - I also have a limited amount of testers and time.
    - I have three browsers, which combined account for >99% of the people using my company's product.

I'm sure Mozilla is nice (though I see next to no movement on it), but I'm also sure Opera is nice, and OmniWeb might still be nice for all I know. I don't support them because I'd have to jack up my prices to do so. If I did that, I'd be screwing the 99%+ who don't use non-standard browsers.

(I use the term "non-standard" in this context to refer to the market, not the W3C compliance. IE6 is obviously poorly compliant but just as obviously the de-facto standard).

I'm sorry if I came off wrong - but I have to prioritize my work and that of my employees.

I'm glad this has turned out to be a simple fix - I want to support obscure browsers if we can do so without incurring large extra costs. But there's no way we had the time, resources, or money to thoroughly test every browser known to man for this release. Without you or someone else mentioning it, we'd never have known.

Don
    edited February 17, 2006
    Hey, I know you guys are doing a thousand things at once over there, but I just wanted to check if you'd actually got the version up with the code patch or if you are still testing and tweaking. At the moment it still appears to crash Mozilla.

Thanks!

Ken
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    kwalsh wrote:
    At the moment it still appears to crash Mozilla.

Thanks!

Ken

We're still working on it Ken, thanks in advance for your patience.
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We're still working on it Ken, thanks in advance for your patience.

Thanks for the update Andy. Just wanted to check it wasn't a different bug or something. Good luck with all your changes and testing!

Ken
    edited February 17, 2006
    kwalsh wrote:
    Thanks for the update Andy. Just wanted to check it wasn't a different bug or something. Good luck with all your changes and testing!

Ken

It's important to us to try and make this work, Ken. 930pm Fri Night here in NY - I've been testing on our usual browsers and - guess what? ear.gif Mozilla mwink.gif

This doesn't change what Don said yesterday about our supported browsers, but I just wanted you to know.
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's important to us to try and make this work, Ken. 930pm Fri Night here in NY - I've been testing on our usual browsers and - guess what? ear.gif Mozilla mwink.gif

This doesn't change what Don said yesterday about our supported browsers, but I just wanted you to know.
    You guys are major cool :D. And I understand exactly where Don is coming from. You can't test every browser and if a browser is broke that's its problem (unless it's written by some big inept company in the northwest rolleyes1.gif).

Oh, and even if I'm not the biggest fan of LightBox, kudos on all your other recent improvements! Hopefully getting beaten about the head and shoulders every time you guys try to improve things won't discourage you too much.

Ken
    edited February 17, 2006
    kwalsh wrote:
    You guys are major cool :D. And I understand exactly where Don is coming from. You can't test every browser and if a browser is broke that's its problem (unless it's written by some big inept company in the northwest rolleyes1.gif).

Oh, and even if I'm not the biggest fan of LightBox, kudos on all your other recent improvements! Hopefully getting beaten about the head and shoulders every time you guys try to improve things won't discourage you too much.

Ken

A Hard Skull is pretty much a job requirement here lol3.gif Seriously, we really want you guys to tell it to us straight like you have been!
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Nevermind, appearance must = CUSTOM ;)
  • jawsjaws Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    I hope you guys are in the process of upgrading it as we speak and thats why this is happening now (never used to happen)...

Its crashing Firefox and I've tried multiple galleries and pictures.

frelow.smugmug.com if it matters...

I'm not using lightbox but when I click on a photo in my gallery to enlarge it Fierfox comes up with a fault report and closes the browser and wants to send an error report, this has only happened recently it was ok before.ne_nau.gif
    any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    John
    edited February 18, 2006
    jaws wrote:
    I'm not using lightbox but when I click on a photo in my gallery to enlarge it Fierfox comes up with a fault report and closes the browser and wants to send an error report, this has only happened recently it was ok before.ne_nau.gif
    any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    John

oops should have read the other posts apparently its a Firefox issue (i have 1.07)rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 18, 2006
    edited February 18, 2006
    I downloaded Firefox 1.5 and its all fine now.
    Cheers,
    John