Options

Canon's new 30D

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 23, 2006 in Cameras
First off I must say I'm very dissapointed in Canon, they seemed to have dropped the ball against the Nikon D200. I think alot of people feel this way, we were looking for atleast a 10mp body. Guess I'll move on to 1-series body.

Canon EOS 30D features
- 8.19 megapixels CMOS image sensor
- 2.5-inch LCD display
- 0.15 second start up time
- ISO 100-1600
- Picture Style menu
- Increased burst depth
- More durable shutter
- Automatic long exposure noise reduction
- Three ambient metering modes: Evaluative, Center-Weighted and 9% Partial
- Improved power management - up to 9999 frames per folder

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-7891-8214

Sample images seen here.
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos30d/sample/index.html

Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022113canonefs1755f28g.asp

Canon 85L 1.2 II
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022112canonef85f12l.asp

Comments

• Options
    chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    As a D200/Nikon guy I'd say that looks like a nice body...it's only missing a few things that the D200 has...8 vs 10MP isn't that big of a deal. Also, it's $300 cheaper...my guess is it's less noisy at higher iso's, likely not by much but less. If 8 vs. 10MP is the only reason you're passing on a 30D and you're already invested in Canon glass then I'd think twice but that's just my 2 cents. The most disapointing thing to me would be that burst/buffer rate...very low compared to the D200.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Phh! The difference from 8->10 MP isn't worth loosing sleep over. The camera looks exactly as expected: a refresh of the 20D, not an 'upgrade'. Seems to me that Canon is finally settling into having distinct and well defined tiers. I expect replacement models to look less and less appealing to those that own the cameras being replaced from here on out. Instead the camera should appeal to Rebel owners or film holdouts.

And speaking as a Rebel owner, this camera DOES appeal! It just made my wish list..
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    i'm a little annoyed that i recently bought a 20d and could've had a 30d only a couple months later, but honestly the difference between the two is so small. i would've loved that 2.5" lcd (it's absolutely gorgeous!) and probably could've used the 1/3-step iso increments, but i'll live.

oh yeah, and the 17-55mm f2.8 sounds incredible.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    With the first number changing in the designation, I would have expected a very large change in the camera, just like from the 10D to the 20D. Seems to me this is just a 20Dn, if you want to keep with Canon's nomenclature for the other tiny updated cameras. Holy cow Canon, who names your cameras!?

I was going to whine about the updated 85mm lens (I have the first edition) but after seeing the price, mine may very well increase in value.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Pretty dissapointing...
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    i'm a little annoyed that i recently bought a 20d and could've had a 30d only a couple months later, but honestly the difference between the two is so small. i would've loved that 2.5" lcd (it's absolutely gorgeous!) and probably could've used the 1/3-step iso increments, but i'll live.

Hey, it just means you can offload your 20D to someone like me now ^_^
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Pretty dissapointing...

I agree, but *shhh*. I want all the 20D owners to offload their units into the market so the supply will be high, and prices low mwink.gif

AMAZING 30D! EVERYONEGOBUYONENOW! clap.gif You won't regret it! thumb.gif
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    binghott wrote:

Better news than the 30D IMO. clap.gif

I'll be looking forward to reviews and images on this one!:cool
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    I'm very dissapointed in Canon ..... Guess I'll move on to 1-series body.
    That's astute product positioning and marketing, as I see it!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Better news than the 30D IMO. clap.gif

I'll be looking forward to reviews and images on this one!:cool

I agree. This means good things for my theatre & dance photography.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Hey, it just means you can offload your 20D to someone like me now ^_^

Who wants that antiquated jalopy now?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    luckyrwe wrote:
    ME, ME, pick ME wave.gif
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    no new FF?:cry
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    luckyrwe wrote:

Me!
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    all i can say is this better have the ISO quality of a 5D, if it does the next camera i'll pick up is this and then a 10-22 for my WA craving.:D

if it doesn't its back to the drawing board/saving for lenses till canon makes a nice, high ISO, consumer camera.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 21, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Pretty dissapointing...

15524779-Ti.gif All this hoopla over a face-lifted 20D? I'm dissappointed. Then again, since it is just a tweaked 20D, I can dedicate any additional funds to new lenses....Laughing.gif

ISO value shown in the VF when you change it, but then it dissappears headscratch.gif That sorta sux. Spot metering would be nice to have though rolleyes1.gif The 2.5 LCD doesn't float my boat. I am soooo far-sighted, I'd need a 12 inch monitor to be able to see my pics during review :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Spot metering, ISO in 3rds, ISO in the VF, larger RAW buffer and 2,5" LCD, I must say, I'm intrigued... If I can get a good price for my own 20D I may even consider upgrading :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Yeah, but...
    Spot metering, ISO in 3rds, ISO in the VF, larger RAW buffer and 2,5" LCD, I must say, I'm intrigued... If I can get a good price for my own 20D I may even consider upgrading :D

With Canon bodies roaming on ebay at about $1K, this means at least $400 for the upgrade.... I like all the features you've mentioned, I'm just not certain about the update price..

At the moment I'm inclined to save more for the better glass, since I can see it can definitely bring more bang for the buck, and does not depreciate as quickly as the body..

However, if somebody would like to get my 20D body (purchased brand new in August 2005, under 10K actuations, honed like a baby) for $1,100 - I'm all ears..mwink.gif (once 30D is out, that is:-)

Cheers!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    As a slight note, the ISO isn't in the viewfinder full-time, but only when you hold the ISO button to change it. Still a fantastic improvement!

One lesser-known thing is the ability to begin a new long-exposure shot while the camera is performing NR on the previous exposure. If you've ever shot at 30+ seconds and had NR on, (NR doubles exposure time) you know how boring it can be to sit and wait for your camera to finish the NR... This feature coupled with the "count up timer" for bulb makes the 30D a really sweet camera for night exposures that climb up into the minutes instead of seconds...

However the silly "direct print" button and no direct MLU button (MLU I'm sure is still buried at custom function menu #12...) are what definitely decide that I'll be buying a secondhand 20D if I ever get a Canon for low-light photography. That and the 17-55 EF-S IS, if it's "sharp as L", is just WAY too tempting to have. Compared to my D70 that's "stuck" at ISO 1600 and f/3.5 with no stabilization, that's something like a possible 5 stops better shutter speed. WOW...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    canon5d2back6fj.jpg

*drool*
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Say what?.....
    DanielB wrote:
    till canon makes a nice, high ISO, consumer camera.

Daniel, what planet are you onheadscratch.gif

Canon has been making "nice, high ISO, consumer" cameras for several years...

Meanwhile...

Funny how all the disappointment seems to boil down to the cameras name ne_nau.gif

I don't care what they call it, it's a very well spec'd cam for $1400! And they did it without burning current 20D owners like me :D

I'm quite content to sit this round out with my 20D and my 1D. I'll wait until they can put out a 1D MkII type camera for $2000 or so, then I'll jump.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    Canon has been making "nice, high ISO, consumer" cameras for several years...

i'm thinkin like 5D ISO 3200 type of stuff...mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    Daniel,
    DanielB wrote:

Are you sure you don't live with Andy?

Maybe you really are Andy posting under an assumed name ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    Are you sure you don't live with Andy?

Maybe you really are Andy posting under an assumed name ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif

i just love night shots, low light, landscapes, and FF. and 5D does all of that :cool
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

20D performs great at ISO 3200...
    49101810-L.jpg
    No post processing! EXIF
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    All this hoopla over a face-lifted 20D? I'm dissappointed.
    I guess I understand the disapointment over the hoopla.. but I can't understand disapointment in the Canon lineup or this camera. Quite frankly I'm surprised Canon (or any other manufacturer) can even keep this 18 month model refresh rate up at all!

That said, does anyone see value in that 'direct print' button? Is this really something anyone sees a demand for in a dSLR?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    The other day I was wondering to myself if they would make a higher quality EF-S mount lens and here it is. My only question about it is why the IS? I always thought IS was used mainly for longer lenses since they are harder to hand hold without getting camera shake. As far as I know the shortest lens before this was the 28-135 IS. Do you think the IS is worth the extra money for such a lens?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 21, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    I guess I understand the disapointment over the hoopla.. but I can't understand disapointment in the Canon lineup or this camera. Quite frankly I'm surprised Canon (or any other manufacturer) can even keep this 18 month model refresh rate up at all!

That said, does anyone see value in that 'direct print' button? Is this really something anyone sees a demand for in a dSLR?

No on "Direct Print". Printing with no post processing? Nevah.......Laughing.gif

I hear ya about not being dissappointed. It's just that this camera has caused a huge stir on other forums and kind of doesn't live up to the hype. I mean I heard: 1.3X multiplier, weather-sealed, 10mpxl, DigicIII, better high ISO performance, ISO in the VF all of the time rolleyes1.gif , better burst processing and spot metering. Well we got the last 2 anyway....Laughing.gif

I am more relieved than anything. I really can't afford a new camera now and I thank Canon for not tempting me further rolleyes1.gif Now if I could just get that 500mm F4L out of my head....Laughing.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2006
    Now THAT'S the spirit...
    Steve thumb.gif

I guess I just don't get some of the hand wringing I see going on around the web ne_nau.gif

Canon actually perfected the 20D and people are pissed? What's up with that? Put out ANOTHER killer camera for $200 LESS and people are pissed?

Yikes :uhoh !

Does anyone *really* believe that the D200 is *that much* better that they need to jump ship? That's pretty shallow in my opinion. I've read the specs and just don't see any *real* advantages of the D200 over the 30D-I mean that in ALL honesty. Weather sealed? With an open lensmount? Better build? According to Nikon fans maybe, but I've come to really love and appreciate the ergos and the build of my Canons. And the three Nikons I've handled (D100, D70, D50) honestly left me unimpressed. I mean I was *waiting* to be knocked off my feet and....I....just....wasn't, not in the least.

The Canon 20D and now the 30D (I'm sure), will be the great cameras they are, that much is certain.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Is
    gluwater wrote:
    The other day I was wondering to myself if they would make a higher quality EF-S mount lens and here it is. My only question about it is why the IS? I always thought IS was used mainly for longer lenses since they are harder to hand hold without getting camera shake. As far as I know the shortest lens before this was the 28-135 IS. Do you think the IS is worth the extra money for such a lens?

Nick,

EF-S 17-85 IS USM is, I believe, a predecessor for this new 17-55 baby. And what a nice predecessor it is. It's definitely my workaround lens.thumb.gif

Speaking of IS on a relatively mid range lens.. Well, when it comes to low light IS still gets you 2-3 extra stops, if not in terms of aperture, then in terms of shutter. Lately I was shooting 1/10s.. 1/15s and almost never get a hand-induced blur. So don't think of IS just as a compensation for long tele (where otherwise it's the only alternative to the good sturdy tripod), it's also a nice compensation for the handheld low light shots...

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"