First-time buyer: new 30D vs D200

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited October 8, 2006 in Cameras
I've been holding off on purchasing my first DSLR to see what PMA brought. Now that the D30 is announced, I find myself stuck between the 30D and the D200. I've always been a Canon user - EOS 10s for 10+ years, then moved to Powershot G2 and then G6. However, since I'm just entering the DSLR realm, I'm open to other options. This decision is more difficult due to the fact that I don't own much high-quality glass from either camp.
So, if you were a first-time buyer looking to get one of these two cameras, what would you get (and why)?
I'm quite familiar with Canon's line-up of lenses, how do the Nikkor offerings compare in price/quality?
The "Nikon vs Canon Debate" thread has been helpful and entertaining through this process so far.
How about prices of flash systems? I know many feel the Nikon i-TTL system is superior to Canon's E-TTL2, never having used the Nikon side I don't know if this is a significant issue. I already own a 420ex which I use with my G6.
So, what comments/advice do you have to offer?

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    What type of photos are you planning on taking? What is your budget (total budget, body, lens, flash)?

I think both Canon and Nikon make good systems. I think it is easier to find better prices on used Canon equipment (because there is more out there), but that is my personal opinion.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    And the naming confusion begins!
    I think you mean the Canon 30D, not the 3MP Canon D30 announced in May of '00 and long-since discontinued! thumb.gif
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    What type of photos are you planning on taking? What is your budget (total budget, body, lens, flash)?

Besides snapshots of friends/family, I do a lot of macro photography. I also do a fair amount of nature, and landscape shooting but would also like to do more night photography (long exposures). I don't do much sports photography at the moment.
    As for total budget, well, that's flexible. I'd like to stay under $2500 to start for everything, but I'll likely just keep buying additions as I can afford them. I was planning on starting with a solid mid-range zoom lens + a good macro to start and would expand from there. As for the flash, well, if I go with Canon I may stick with the 420ex for the time being - I'd need a new flash if I went for the Nikon.
    edited February 21, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    I think you mean the Canon 30D, not the 3MP Canon D30 announced in May of '00 and long-since discontinued! thumb.gif

Indeed! I was just thinking how silly that naming was.. ooops.. title fixed.
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:
    I've been holding off on purchasing my first DSLR to see what PMA brought. Now that the D30 is announced, I find myself stuck between the D30 and the D200. I've always been a Canon user - EOS 10s for 10+ years, then moved to Powershot G2 and then G6. However, since I'm just entering the DSLR realm, I'm open to other options. This decision is more difficult due to the fact that I don't own much high-quality glass from either camp.
    So, if you were a first-time buyer looking to get one of these two cameras, what would you get (and why)?
    I'm quite familiar with Canon's line-up of lenses, how do the Nikkor offerings compare in price/quality?
    The "Nikon vs Canon Debate" thread has been helpful and entertaining through this process so far.
    How about prices of flash systems? I know many feel the Nikon i-TTL system is superior to Canon's E-TTL2, never having used the Nikon side I don't know if this is a significant issue. I already own a 420ex which I use with my G6.
    So, what comments/advice do you have to offer?

In general, don't wait for the next camera to come. As soon as the 30D is out, Nikon probably has another one in the pipeline and rumours will be flying. Are you going to wait again....? Only if you know the 30D will be out any moment, it may be good to wait.

More important is which gear you want to buy into (i.e. mostly lenses). Canon or Nikkor? I think both companies make great products. You can not really go wrong with either product-lines.

I have no experience with Canon flash system, but it seems that most people agree Nikon's iTTL is superior. But i have the feeling that the lens-selection of Canon is a little larger.

I chose the Nikon 'camp'. Why? When i got interested in DSLR, the D70 was out and the Rebel 300D (not the 350 yet) and 20D. The Rebel just felt too flimsy for me, the D70 was better to hold and the operation felt easier. The 20D was just out of my budget... I might have gone with the 20D if i could have spent a little more money at that time... but i'm not sure about that :D.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited February 21, 2006
    As it has been repeated many times on this forum, I would recommend holding both/all of the bodies in your hand and seeing what feels better and more natural.

I have never touched either of the two you are asking about, but I would recommend my 20D to anyone. It is truly a remarkable camera.

As for flash, I am very, very happy with the Canon TTL system. Works great with my 550EX. But as you said, you already have the 420EX (which does save you a couple of bucks if you go Canon).

Keep us posted on what you decide.
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Best advice you can get is to go try them...good luck with that one tho. :) By the time the 30 hits the D200 should be better stocked. Once you've tried them you'll likely get a good idea as to which feels better in your hands. I shoot Nikon and I can't stand Canon ergonomics and find their bodies under the 1D cheap feeling...many Canon guys feel the opposite. The most important thing is how they feel to you...just like buying a car...
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    pick up a used 20D, they'll be on the market now... a 17-55 f/2.8 IS when its released, and a 70-200 2.8 ISthumb.gif that should be somwehere near you limits, you'll get a great camera cheap, a fantastic zoom, and what looks to be a fantastic zoom
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited February 21, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    pick up a used 20D, they'll be on the market now... a 17-55 f/2.8 IS when its released, and a 70-200 2.8 ISthumb.gif that should be somwehere near you limits, you'll get a great camera cheap, a fantastic zoom, and what looks to be a fantastic zoom

Nicely put Daniel! Spend for the good glass! For the type of shooting you say you'll be doing any newer body should give you the features you are looking for. Go for the glass!

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    As an Oly E-300 owner, awaiting any word from Oly about a new camera in the same range as the 30D and D200, and if there isn't one announced or it doesn't stack up to the competition, I would go with the 30Dthumb.gif

It's a little cheaper, better high ISO (something that I wish I had now) finally has spot metering and some other nice updates to the 20D.

But for me the biggest thing is that Canon has some lenses that I want that Nikon does not. I need IS/VR. I take way too many shots that are soft do to camera shake (I have an annoying tendency to jab the shutter release when in a hurry)

I like that the 17-55 has IS and I like the 24-105 (would be a tough choice between these 2)

What I don't care for is the white lenses. I would much rather have them black to match the camera and so you don't stick out so much.

But for me the deciding factor would be the IS lenses that Canon has at the shorter focal lenghts. The 70-200 range is a wash, unless Canon releases an IS version of the 70-200F4 at about $800-$900, then another reason for me to go Canon.

All the while anxiously waiting for the Panasonic/Leica OIS lenses and upgraded E camera. I'd hate to give up the dust shaker, I love itiloveyou.gif

Gene
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

He wants to spend $2500. The 17-55 will go for around $950-$1000 and the 70-200 sells for around $1650. Nice lenses but he won't have a camera to put them on.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited February 21, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    He wants to spend $2500. The 17-55 will go for around $950-$1000 and the 70-200 sells for around $1650. Nice lenses but he won't have a camera to put them on.
    Yes, but if someone wants to give me a nice 70-200 I'll take it. :D
    I've appreciated the responses so far. I had the chance to play with a D200 in a local shop last week and thought it handled very nicely - build quality is excellent. I've used the 20D quite a lot (father-in-law owns it) and am comfortable with the build/design. I'll admit I think the D200 is more robust, but both seem well built.
    Given that they'll both do the job (as would a used 20D for that matter I suppose), I'm leaning towards the 30D since I could save some $ - its cheaper and I wouldn't have to buy a flash. I could use the difference towards some better/more glass.
    If I did go with the Canon, the next choice would be whether to go with the new 17-55 or the 24-105... Both are same weight/size but you gain an extra stop with the former and zoom with the latter (& FF compatability).
    I'll have to go play with the Nikon again though I think...

Oh, and Andy, that's a fabulous thread - great shots from both of you. Keep the debate going, it's entertaining!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Family stuff, outdoor photography, macro photography, night photography? Not really interested in high-speed sports / wildlife?

Nikon.

Get your feet wet with a D50 or a used D70, (both about $550) trust me on this one- they're more than enough to get used to, what with RAW capture and fully-manual control. The 6 vs 8 vs 10 megapixel and 3 vs 5 FPS etc. debates don't ammount to much, the core has to do with learning DSLR workflow and learning a system. It took me 2 years to master my D70, and now as much as I'd love to have a D200 I don't really need one as much as I need $2000 worth of lenses. So, this may be very much objected to by the others but I say start with a D50 and spend the rest of your cash on: (Assuming you already have a nice tripod etc.)

~ The Nikon or Tokina 12-24 f/4 DX,
    ~ The Nikon 18-200 DX VR,
    ~ And the new micro-Nikkor 105 f/2.8 AFS VR.

That should set you back about $2500 if you go with the Tokina super-wide zoom, and it would be all the lenses you can possibly handle for at least a decade, barring any sudden passion for anything fast-action / super-telephoto. And you can upgrade to a D200 a few years down the road when its $500 cheaper or however much. I'm sure they'll have a $100 or $150 rebate for it within a year at the latest, and the price should drop about that much as well within a few years...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Last December, I was a first timer to DSLR.. and
    I am not a pro by any stretch of imagination. From time to time my photographs do come out very good. 5 years ago, I was lucky enough to have some funds to purchase a Leica M6 TTL along with 35mm/f2.0 I am sure you know how “simple” the M6 TTL is compare to any today’s DSLR.

The types of photographs I take and “love” are those “available light photography”. My M6 amazes me because of how accurate the exposure meter is. All I adjust is aperture and focus after I set my shutter speed. All I do is turning the aperture ring until I see the little red dot in the viewfinder. Now you know how “basic” my skills (or lack there of) are.

By the way, I bought the D200 with 17-55mm/f2.8 DX lens back in last December. I traded in my Summmicron for the lens and I bought the body on eBay for $1,850.

I only shoot in RAW.

Simply put; I am NOT satisfy with the pictures I have been taken. What happened to the contrast that I always see in my Leica? My reason is the metering is off, compare to the Leica.

Then there is the on-board flash on D200 that is useless; you can see the shadow of the lens body in the pictures. Excuse my language; what the f@#* is this?

Skin tone; I am not able to adjust it using the Photoshop or the Nikon Editor.

Of course I am reading more to learn more. I believe that the post-processing of the RAW is HUGE part of photography, just like the processing film. Then again, why do I feel that D200 needs a lot more post-processing?

I believe that I am getting more than what I bargain for…

I can sell you my D200 with the lens for $2500. If it doesn’t sell, I am trading in for Elmarit 28mm and wait for Leica Digital-M.

P.S. Andy and Harry are professionals, their photographs will confuse you.
    edited February 23, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I am not a pro by any stretch of imagination. From time to time my photographs do come out very good. 5 years ago, I was lucky enough to have some funds to purchase a Leica M6 TTL along with 35mm/f2.0 I am sure you know how “simple” the M6 TTL is compare to any today’s DSLR.

The types of photographs I take and “love” are those “available light photography”. My M6 amazes me because of how accurate the exposure meter is. All I adjust is aperture and focus after I set my shutter speed. All I do is turning the aperture ring until I see the little red dot in the viewfinder. Now you know how “basic” my skills (or lack there of) are.

By the way, I bought the D200 with 17-55mm/f2.8 DX lens back in last December. I traded in my Summmicron for the lens and I bought the body on eBay for $1,850.

I only shoot in RAW.

Simply put; I am NOT satisfy with the pictures I have been taken. What happened to the contrast that I always see in my Leica? My reason is the metering is off, compare to the Leica.

Then there is the on-board flash on D200 that is useless; you can see the shadow of the lens body in the pictures. Excuse my language; what the f@#* is this?

Of course I am reading more to learn more. I believe that the post-processing of the RAW is HUGE part of photography, just like the processing film. Then again, why do I feel that D200 needs a lot more post-processing?

I can sell you my D200 with the lens for $2500. If it doesn’t sell, I am trading in for Elmarit 28mm and wait for Leica Digital-M.

Sorry to hear about your problems getting adjusted to the D200. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination BTW.

I have seen folks get outstanding shots with Canon and Nikon bodies. I have gotten some pretty good shots from my Nikon bodies and lots of crappy shots with them too. Invariably when I get crappy shots the reason for that was myself and not the camera.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Mark, I shoot available light almost exclusively (except studio work), and the key for me is using a 1.4 aperature lens. The 17-55 2.8 is a great lens, but 2.8 is too slow for indoor available light. Set your iso to 800, get a 50 1.4 lens and learn to focus exactly on the closest eye of your subject. You'll have a few blurry pics at first, but you'll get the hang of it.

In deciding between systems it all comes down to the lens. Canon has some fantastic lenses as does Nikon and a few are unique and are worth thinking about:

Want to shoot available light interiors? Canon makes a 24 1.4 L lens that would be a perfect indoor PJ style lens on a 1.6 body. That lens is almost enough to make me want to switch. Nikon's 28 1.4 is a PJ standard, but is nearly $600 more. A Canon 30D and 24L would run about $2500, while the D200 and 28 1.4 would run nearly $3400. Canon also gives you about 1 extra stop of usable iso range.

Want to shoot fisheye action shots? Nikon makes a 10.5 fisheye for the APC format. I would love to use this lens for some cool motorcycle shots.

Want to shoot motorsports? Canon's 300 f4 L lens has image stabilization. Nikon has a great 300 f4, but no VR.

Want to shoot news? Nikon's 17-55 2.8 has the range and rugged build necessary. Canon has a new 17-55 2.8 IS that seems like it would be perfect for wedding PJ.

Want to shoot bugs? Nikon's new 105 VR is the first 1:1 macro with VR image stabilization. You won't need a tripod as you chase those little guys.

If I were you, I'd spend a lot of time at dpreview and here looking at the samples from different lens. If you find something unique you can buy into that system and even if that unique lens isn't in your budget right now, you can add it later.
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:
    I've used the 20D quite a lot (father-in-law owns it) and am comfortable with the build/design.

Canon - If the relationsionship with the father-in-law is good enough ya'll could pool lenses, flashes, etc.. Also have extra flash (if he has a 580/550ex) for some wireless ETTL resulting in more creative family shots.

Just think of the b'day and christmas gifts you could get the father-in-law for your use. thumb.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    JimM wrote:

I think both Canon and Nikon make good systems. I think it is easier to find better prices on used Canon equipment (because there is more out there), but that is my personal opinion.
    Actually I find the opposite to be true. Alot of that is only because Nikon hasn't made a move in the past that wholesale abandoned the mount.

Personally I'd buy a D200. That's only because I find Canon ergonomics to be abysmal. Many would say the opposite though.

My advice is to go somewhere that has both types of bodies in stock and just handle the cameras. Let that decide. I know people will say research the lens lineup but in current made lenses I find solutions for my needs in both camps. The Nikon flash system may be better but personally I detest flash so I wouldn't even factor that in the equation. In the end I would let ergonomics decide.

I don't know what the specific differences are between the D200 and the 30D. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying over them though. Bodies are disposable. Lenses (as long as Canon doesn't abandon it's loyal base again) are long term investments. The feel of the layout for you is what you'll have to live with. That changes little between bodies within specific systems.
    edited February 23, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:

I only shoot in RAW.

Don't give up. You'd be suprised what you've gained once you unlearn some of your film shooting habits. If the metering is off then it's only a technique issue. Can you be more specific about how you are metering some common scenes? I'm going thru all of this with a friend of mine right now that has been shooting film since the 70's and really needs to unlearn some bad habits he's gained (for digital) as a result. As far as metering being off compared to the Leica, the metering should be different. Your shooting something that needs to be exposed for highlight detail and within a range of slide film not print.
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Are you serious? Have you noticed how big physically big the lens you are using is? If it's an issue then sell the 17-55 and just buy a compact prime. Or you could get an inexpensive shoe mount flash.
    MarkM6 wrote:

If you are processing NEF's in NC then you are wasting time IMO. If skin tone is your thing then give RAW Shooter Essentials a try. You'll still need to learn more about how to adjust a curve, how to expose with your DSLR, how to adjust white balance, ect.
    MarkM6 wrote:

Processing is a huge part of film or digital. With film you just give it up to whoever processes for you. With digital you take control and gain alot in the process. It's not an easy road but the rewards are worth it in the end.
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page31.asp
    "From a design, build, features and performance point of view this camera really creates its own niche, it would be a pity to label it as 'semi-pro' because in use you soon realize that it's a professional camera. Which brings us to the competition, from a build/features point of view it's clearly ahead of the Canon EOS 20D/30D and in my opinion a step above the EOS 5D, a baby D2X."
    :cool thumb.gif
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
    edited February 23, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Invariably when I get crappy shots the reason for that was myself and not the camera.

That believe is very strong in me as well.iloveyou.gif

I read (many times so far) the link where you and Andy posted the best pictures in making the points. You backed off when Andy pulled out the picture (in Broadway show) taken without the flash. Your reply was a photo taken with a flash.

I do believe that one of the Leica's strongest points is those low light photos. May be I should look at Canon....headscratch.gif

I am going to take this opportunity to put you and your Nikon on the spot; can you please show us your finest examples of available light photograhy? But no trick shots such as those multiple exposures shots.:D
    edited February 23, 2006
    Help me...
    Can you be more specific about how you are metering some common scenes?

Okay... what I do with Leica is, I point the camera to a spot that, in my opinion, is the middle between the brightest point and darkest point that I want to be appear in my final photo. Then adjust the camers until the meter shows it is okay.

I tried the same thing with my D200 with spot and centerweight meterings... butne_nau.gif

Are you serious? Have you noticed how big physically big the lens you are using is?

:gun2 Yes! Yes, it is a big lens and the filter size is 77mm diameter! And I wasn't using the hood that came with it.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Just read through the review of the Nikon D200 at dpreview.com. Seems like a nice camera. So does the Canon 20d/30d,etc.

My summation, if you are genetically inclined to use Nikon stuff, you'll go with the nikon D200 and be fine.

If you are genetically inclined towards Canon cameras, then you should be very well served by the Canon 20d/30d.

A lot of the stuff is just too theoretical for my consumption. :uhoh
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
    edited February 23, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:

Okay... what I do with Leica is, I point the camera to a spot that, in my opinion, is the middle between the brightest point and darkest point that I want to be appear in my final photo. Then adjust the camers until the meter shows it is okay.

I tried the same thing with my D200 with spot and centerweight meterings... butne_nau.gif
    If it's a high contrast scene then try spot metering the highlights with +.7 EC. You'd be amazed how much shadow detail is in a NEF file and can be retrieved in post.
    MarkM6 wrote:

:gun2 Yes! Yes, it is a big lens and the filter size is 77mm diameter! And I wasn't using the hood that came with it.
    It's just a fact of life that with a lens of that size the built in flash will cause a shadow from the lens. I don't think a SLR, DSLR, or RF exists that can escape this with a lens that physically big, even without the enormouns hood on it. If you shop around you can find really inexpensive shoe mount flashes that will eliminate the issue though.:):
    edited February 24, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    That believe is very strong in me as well.iloveyou.gif

I read (many times so far) the link where you and Andy posted the best pictures in making the points. You backed off when Andy pulled out the picture (in Broadway show) taken without the flash. Your reply was a photo taken with a flash.

I do believe that one of the Leica's strongest points is those low light photos. May be I should look at Canon....headscratch.gif

I am going to take this opportunity to put you and your Nikon on the spot; can you please show us your finest examples of available light photograhy? But no trick shots such as those multiple exposures shots.:D

Hey Mark,

Right now I'm tied up with the 500mm shoot-off. Almost all of my shots are with available light as I rarely shoot with a flash.

The issue Andy raised was high ISO shooting. I don't do high ISO shooting because I had never had the need for it. I always shoot in the lowest ISO possible. Right now I shoot almost exclusively wildlife shots. When I shoot low light shots I use a tripod and the lowest possible ISO.

You can go to my smugmug site and see all my Nikon pics. They speak for themselves.

You can go to the Nikon Cafe site and see images from Nikon shooters in all kinds of light including high ISO shoots. You can also see some fine results gotten with the D200. You can also go to other sites and see similiarly fine results from Canon, Pentax, Konica-Minolta, Fuji, and Olympus shooters.

If someone can not get good results with any of these cameras I would have to say its not a failure of the equipment to perform but a failure of the user to use the equipment properly.
    Harry
    edited February 27, 2006
    I found an example...
    Harryb wrote:
    Almost all of my shots are with available light as I rarely shoot with a flash.

The issue Andy raised was high ISO shooting. I don't do high ISO shooting because I had never had the need for it.

I should have made myself more clear when I ask for the "available light photography". The following are the pictures I found on PBase under Canon 5D; the kind of photographs that I love. Happens to be that both are ISO 1600 shot...
    55693929.IMG_6535.jpg

52641167._MG_0434.JPG
    edited February 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I should have made myself more clear when I ask for the "available light photography". The following are the pictures I found on PBase under Canon 5D; the kind of photographs that I love. Happens to be that both are ISO 1600 shot...
    55693929.IMG_6535.jpg

52641167._MG_0434.JPG
    I've seen much better examples of 1600ISO from with both the Canon 5D and the various Nikon bodies. Go over to DPReview and you'll find plenty of discussion along those lines.
    edited February 27, 2006
    I've seen much better examples of 1600ISO from with both the Canon 5D and the various Nikon bodies. Go over to DPReview and you'll find plenty of discussion along those lines.

I do not like the DPReview’s "discussions". It reminds me of the fist fighting “politicians” that we often see on the news.

I looked through the Nikon D200 page on the PBase as well and did not find a good example. I have nothing against Nikon. This D200 is way over my top; it is way too much time-consuming to fine tune the RAW into the contrast that I prefer.

So far I have tried; the “Expose to the right” technique and the L,a,b adjustments of contrast; so far without that much improvement.ne_nau.gif

headscratch.gif Question: Does the Rangefinder allow lower ISO than SLR for given lighting condition because of the shorter light path?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    I don't have time to read through this entire thread this morning, but I have thoughts of purchasing a DSLR in the not too far off future. I haven't tried any "on for size" yet. You know how it is, if you try it on, next thing you know you are buying it!!! I am holding off purchasing not because of new cameras coming out or because of the Nikon vs Canon wars, but to try to learn to be a better photographer.....and not blame it all on the equipment. However, I was wondering if one camera is particularly more comfortable for a woman's smaller hand?? I always shoot with available light. I shoot mostly people, landscape, street shots. Any thoughts, ladies??