First-time buyer: new 30D vs D200

2»

Comments

• MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Imho
    saurora wrote:
    I am holding off purchasing not because of new cameras coming out or because of the Nikon vs Canon wars, but to try to learn to be a better photographer.....and not blame it all on the equipment.

I believe that if you are learning it without a DSLR, you are just making more difficult for you to un-learn.

My move from Leica rangefinder to Nikon DSLR is pretty big.

I think Nikon D70 or Canon 20D are pretty compact, compare to D200 or 5D respectively.
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I don't have time to read through this entire thread this morning, but I have thoughts of purchasing a DSLR in the not too far off future. I haven't tried any "on for size" yet. You know how it is, if you try it on, next thing you know you are buying it!!! I am holding off purchasing not because of new cameras coming out or because of the Nikon vs Canon wars, but to try to learn to be a better photographer.....and not blame it all on the equipment. However, I was wondering if one camera is particularly more comfortable for a woman's smaller hand?? I always shoot with available light. I shoot mostly people, landscape, street shots. Any thoughts, ladies??

The D50 is a great small dslr and has tons of great features...cheap and a great place to learn. They're in stock at most major retailers so easy to go and hold one.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • SPEEFLEXSPEEFLEX Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2006
    Follow up?
    Hi, so what camera did you go with? I'm in the exact same boat today and keep going back and forth between the two- I love the Nikon but because I'll be doing mostly sports photos in low light Im thinking about the 30D. The D200 has a sealed body for dust and that's major for me- The Canon autofocus seams lightning fast- so many question!!??

Let me know what you decised and why-

Thanks-SPEE

CSwinton wrote:
    I've been holding off on purchasing my first DSLR to see what PMA brought. Now that the D30 is announced, I find myself stuck between the 30D and the D200. I've always been a Canon user - EOS 10s for 10+ years, then moved to Powershot G2 and then G6. However, since I'm just entering the DSLR realm, I'm open to other options. This decision is more difficult due to the fact that I don't own much high-quality glass from either camp.
    So, if you were a first-time buyer looking to get one of these two cameras, what would you get (and why)?
    I'm quite familiar with Canon's line-up of lenses, how do the Nikkor offerings compare in price/quality?
    The "Nikon vs Canon Debate" thread has been helpful and entertaining through this process so far.
    How about prices of flash systems? I know many feel the Nikon i-TTL system is superior to Canon's E-TTL2, never having used the Nikon side I don't know if this is a significant issue. I already own a 420ex which I use with my G6.
    So, what comments/advice do you have to offer?
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    SPEEFLEX wrote:
    Hi, so what camera did you go with? I'm in the exact same boat today and keep going back and forth between the two- I love the Nikon but because I'll be doing mostly sports photos in low light Im thinking about the 30D. The D200 has a sealed body for dust and that's major for me- The Canon autofocus seams lightning fast- so many question!!??

Let me know what you decised and why-

Thanks-SPEE

I ended up with the 30D, although I'm certain I would have been happy either way. The Canon setup proved more cost effective since I already owned several lenses and a 420ex... I've since added more lenses and a 580ex ne_nau.gif. I have also used Canon since the EOS 10s (which I still have) - I admit there is some brand bias behind the decision. :D
    I also liked the low-light performance of the 30D, although frankly the difference between the two in real-life situations wouldn't be a deal breaker. I played with both of them and liked the feel of both of them. I've not been disappointed at all with my decision!

In the end, if I spent as much time taking pictures as I did deciding which camera/lens to buy, I'd have a lot more great photos... pick one and enjoy! I doubt you'd regret either decision.