Options

Smugmug has some shoes to fill

Comments

• Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    I've asked their tech support that question.

Yes, you have to consider everything. Print cost, commission, even annual dues. I do not know how their s/h compares, I have not looked at that.

Thanks Bill. Please keep us updated if you hear regarding the auto crop and learn any info about the s/h costs or other significant issues.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    The thing that really struck me about their service that currently smugmug could do but hasn't is the insert that comes from ezprints with the prints. They add the photographers info. That obviously is something that ezprints does, and this is a feature many pros want. Why hasn't smugmug done this. This feature along with the email confirming the order (that has the photographers info) has me seriously considering their service. I will be doing their free trial soon over a week I have coming up that will be slow so I will have a lot of time to test out their site to its fullest.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Thanks Bill. Please keep us updated if you hear regarding the auto crop and learn any info about the s/h costs or other significant issues.
    To learn about shipping costs, just cruise over to my site and se for yourself what the shipping charges would be on what you think a typical order would be. mercphoto.exposuremanager.com. Looks like EM's s/h fees are a touch higher than SM. No word yet on auto-crop. I personally have solved that issue by only offering 3:2 ratio prints.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Gary, I took a look at your site, and found it a tad confusing...not sure that adding flash really helps, I don't see why I would need the option.

But really, take this in the best and most constructive manner: change your bio pic. You look like the saddest of sad-sacks. When you put up a photo of yourself that doesn't make YOU look good, I wonder if you could make my wedding look good.

Just my two cents.

My bio picture was taken by someone else, as far as can I take good pictures, I think my references speak for themselfs

Gary Harfield photographed our daughter's wedding on October 8, 2005, and we were so pleased with his work. During the event he was a quiet presence and in no way detracted or intruded on the ceremony or reception. The resulting photographs were not only beautiful but Gary captured the essence and beauty of the day as well as many special intimate moments. Gary is highly professional and artistic as well as warm and friendly and we are pleased to recommend him without reservation.
    Melodie & Hank Foster
    South Portland, Maine
    Gary,

Thank you so much for your outstanding service and support throughout the planning for our special day. The package we chose was not only affordable, but exceeded our expectations. The pictures are absolutely amazing! Everytime we show family and friends the album and DVD slideshow they are more than impressed. The pictures captured the emotions of our special day and will make us smile every time we look at them. Thanks again for everything that you did for us.

Scott & Becky Hanson
    Dear Gary,
    Thank you so much for all the beautiful wedding photographs. You were so professional and unobtrusive and we can’t tell you how much we appreciate all your work. Besides the fact that your prices were so reasonable considering the high quality of your work, we were so impressed with your professionalism. You captured so many special moments but were never intrusive. You managed to get so many beautiful shots that it was difficult to pick our favorites! When you were there, you stayed so behind the scenes (particularly during the ceremony) that it was like you were not there at all. We could not have been happier about the way our pictures came out. Thank you so very much!
    Elizabeth & James Levasseur

Hi Gary,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the wonderful job you did for my wedding. The pictures are beautiful. We had a great time and you catch very special moment. Please don't hestiate to use me as a reference.

Thanks
    Trisha and Joe Edwards

Hi Gary,
    I received your phone message yesterday and I just wanted to let you know that I did receive all of the CD's and we think you did a fabulous job. I especially liked the CD that you put to music and all of the songs you picked out were perfect. Whenever Darrin watches it, he cries...so that alone should tell you that you did a really good job. The pictures look really good too!! I have already taken some of the CD's down to Brooks and had some big 8x10's printed and they are hanging all over my house.
    Again, thank you for doing such a good job and giving me some photos to treasure forever.

Happy photoing!!

Amy Lahaye

Hi Gary.
    I really like all the albums. They came out great. I am happy
    with everything. Also, I meant to tell you I had reviewed the video with music. I think that is really nice. It was fun to view. Thanks so much,

Christa and Tim

Dear Gary:
    On behalf of Jen and myself, we wanted to thank you for the fantastic job shooting the photos for our wedding. Your package was very compressive as you shot every aspect of the ceremony and reception. We appreciated your input and suggestions on what picture/poses to shoot. You have a great personality; it shows that you really love what you do. We were also impressed by your equipment and how well the picture came out.
    Again, thank you, for everything. We wouldn't hesitate for a moment to contact you again for a special function or refer you to a friend.
    Sincerely,
    Rich & Jen Violette

Dear Gary,
    We wanted to write to thank you for the wonderful job you did at our wedding. The pictures were simply beautiful! We sent quite a few to our wedding guests and they really seemed to enjoy them. The album you put together is exactly what we wanted to remember of our special day. Again, a sincere thank you for all your efforts!
    Cheryl & John Sheehan
    Gary,
    We would like to give a big thanks to you and all your hard work. You captured the most precious moments on our wedding day and they will be treasured for a lifetime. You were always there making sure each and every moment was recorded and remembered but always making sure you were doing what made us happy. It was so helpful for us and all our family to be able to view all the pictures on your website and the CD for us to keep along with our album. You will definitely be a reference from me to any future brides I may come across. You will always be remembered.
    Thanks again,
    Christopher and Alexis Harrington

To Whom It May Concern:
    On February 21 2004 Gary was the wedding the photographer at my wedding. I must say that I was very Impressed with the presentation and the manner in witch he performed his duties. Gary showed up early and scoped out the church and was very attentive to every detail and made sure that all the requests that were made were granted. After the ceremony he then went to the hall and did an excellent job taking the family photos and the bridal party photos. He was very professional and made sure every detail was adhered to. With this closing I would highly recommended Expose The Moment for any photo opportunity. Not only was the service good but the finished product was even better then we had expected and the value of the package was remarkable. Thank you for your time and all of your services.
    Daniel Spiridis

Dear Gary,
    The photos are beautiful. Thank you for your hard work on them. We'll treasure them.
    Thanks ! Kate and Joe Leblanc
    Hi Gary-
    I just wanted to thank you again for being the photographer at my wedding. I couldn't be happier with the pictures! You really did capture the moment and everyone has commented on how wonderful the pictures turned out! Thanks to you, I will always be able to look back and remember my wedding day. I will definitely recommend you to anyone that is looking for a photographer! Thanks again Gary!
    Michelle Howland Contreras

Dear Gary,
    I would like to take a minute and say thank you very much for making our wedding a beautiful memory by way of photographs. The pictures were so crisp and brilliant in color. Thank you for taking so many. It makes it nice to look back and see all of our guests, the table setting, the cake, garter belt scene, tossing of bouquet, etc...We would happily pass on the word of our wonderful photographer (you) and show all photographs with pride.
    Again, thank you.
    ~Kerry and Dean Tran
    Dear Gary:
    I would like to thank you for making our wedding day much more memorable then we ever anticipated. The photographs you took captured the moments of our wedding perfectly. Especially the pictures of our daughter they will always be cherished by everyone in both our families. You can clearly see what a wonderful time all of our guests had. Thank you again Gary and we wish you plenty of success in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Betsey Rodrigues

Dear Gary,
    I just wanted to say thank you for the beautiful wedding pictures. You did an excellent job capturing my wedding moments. I also want to thank you for all of your cooperation, especially when things changed at the last minute. Your services went beyond the call of duty. I would recommend you to anyone, and will use your services again when needed. Thank you so much for your time and effort and excellent skill for photography.
    Melissa Margeson

Hello Gary
    Can’t thank you enough for the splendid job of photographing my wedding. I was quite pleased with all the pictures. You did a wonderful job in capturing the events I requested and much more. Several people have commented on the excellence of these pictures. I would definitely recommend you to family and friends and should I ever need a photographer again, you’ll be the first I call. I would be very proud to have you display any of these pictures in your web site. Again, thanks so much.
    From a very satisfied customer,
    Susan (Morrell) O’Brien
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Uh, wow. Not sure that was required but, there you go.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Uh, wow. Not sure that was required but, there you go.

Yea ok a little to much info I know I know, but I had to defend myself as a professional photgrapher.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Yea ok a little to much info I know I know, but I had to defend myself as a professional photgrapher.

No, you don't. Your work speaks to that. DavidTO was giving you some darn good feedback, valuable feedback that you can't buy for any amount of money: honest & sincere, and with only the desire to be helpful. You've no need to be defensive.

I happen to agree 1000% percent with DavidTO - EVERY image on your website counts - and if I'm a first time visitor to your site, and I'm not engaged by your bio photo, then I may not stick around and peruse the rest of your site.

You can take it, or not take it, that's up to you - but there's no need to get defensive about it.

It's marketing 101 thumb.gif

Hope this helps, Gary!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2006
    He said "I wonder if you could make my wedding look good."

That is why I felt I needed to defend myself.

Andy wrote:
    No, you don't. Your work speaks to that. DavidTO was giving you some darn good feedback, valuable feedback that you can't buy for any amount of money: honest & sincere, and with only the desire to be helpful. You've no need to be defensive.

I happen to agree 1000% percent with DavidTO - EVERY image on your website counts - and if I'm a first time visitor to your site, and I'm not engaged by your bio photo, then I may not stick around and peruse the rest of your site.

You can take it, or not take it, that's up to you - but there's no need to get defensive about it.

It's marketing 101 thumb.gif

Hope this helps, Gary!
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    He said "I wonder if you could make my wedding look good."

That is why I felt I needed to defend myself.

I was speaking from the perspective a prospective client. Everything on your site is a reflection of you and your critical eye, your talent and your taste.

I really didn't mean to attack you in a way to make you defensive, but to offer you straight-shootin' feedback.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    /sigh

After seeing the difference post process sharpening can make, *even on a small 4x6 print*, I kinda feel like I'm short changing the customer by staying here.

Unless I sharpen every file (would take too long), or ask them to send me an E-mail of the picture they want BEFORE they purchase it, so I can post process and re-upload (cumbersome and not really realistic)...it doesn't look like my customers will be receiving the best Post Processed pictures I can provide...

Smugmug obviously runs a better SITE then ExposureManager, but they are seriously lacking features on the PRO side...and honestly, it doesn't look like they are ever going to implement the features we want. :cry
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    After seeing the difference post process sharpening can make, *even on a small 4x6 print*, I kinda feel like I'm short changing the customer by staying here.
    Apply a "standard" sharpening via batch. Saves a bunch of work, makes a big impact. Nothing will be "optimized", but will be significantly better than straight from the camera. I do this to all my karting, MX photos.
    Smugmug obviously runs a better SITE then ExposureManager, but they are seriously lacking features on the PRO side
    Agreed my Smugmug site definitely has a nicer look-and-feel than my Exposure Manager site, and that has a large impact on customer perception. Its hard to let go of that. As per lacking of pro features, I'd be happy if SM simply adds digital downloads.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    /sigh

Unless I sharpen every file (would take too long), or ask them to send me an E-mail of the picture they want BEFORE they purchase it, so I can post process and re-upload (cumbersome and not really realistic)...it doesn't look like my customers will be receiving the best Post Processed pictures I can provide...

Smugmug obviously runs a better SITE then ExposureManager, but they are seriously lacking features on the PRO side...and honestly, it doesn't look like they are ever going to implement the features we want. :cry

so if i'm reading you correctly, you're saying that you dont do ANY post processing now? just straight from the camera to smugmug?

if that's the case, then in my opinion you're short changing your customer right there. I would guess that 90% of the people out there have no idea how much you can improve a photo in post. By not showing them the highest quality (or at least higher than straight out of camera) photo you're really not giving them an honest impression of what the final print COULD look like, and that has the potential to effect which and how many prints the customer purchases.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2006
    I have just had a bit of a look under the hood at ExposureManager...:puke

is this guy for real ? client-side validation of password and credit card numbers ? eek7.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    ..and honestly, it doesn't look like they are ever going to implement the features we want. :cry

Sigh rolleyes1.gif Yep, we're in the business of falling behind other companies, not listening to our customers, and providing lousy customer service and crummy products rolleyes1.gif.

Is the pace of pro features as fast as we'd like it to be? No. Rome wasn't built in a day, so to speak. and five months ago, SmugMug had me as a customer and unpaid adviosor.

I don't believe there's anything we've in our track record that would make any reasonable person believe that we aren't going to continue to innovate and add new features on the pro side of the business.

Features don't fill your print sales coffer. Yes, they make life easier, but they don't fill the coffer all by themselves. Go out make a phone call, get that extra job :D
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Yep, we're in the business of falling behind other companies, not listening to our customers, and providing lousy customer service and crummy products rolleyes1.gif.

Andy

I quote

01-05-2005, 03:09 AM #1 presscamera vbmenu_register("postmenu_46658", true);
    Big grins

Selling Digital Downloads

Its been over one year for the above request, thats the point hes making.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Selling Digital Downloads
    Its been over one year for the above request, thats the point hes making.

Right Gary - but actually - it wasn't - while we all have big shoulders here at SmugMug, we won't stand up to untruths - and we do have a track record of implementing features that our customers want and ask for - and my point, as I've said before, we want to do this. We hope to do it. And many other pro features, too. In the meantime, we even foster and offer up various workarounds.

I'm truly sorry that you're not happy with the pace of innovation. One of the reasons I'm here is to try and do something about that thumb.gif

I wish you continued great success, wherever, Gary. BTW, how did you make out with my friend Jerry that I recommended to you for website work?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    wow eek7.gif Exposure Manager has been around like forever...

check out the comment dates here
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Apply a "standard" sharpening via batch. Saves a bunch of work, makes a big impact. Nothing will be "optimized", but will be significantly better than straight from the camera. I do this to all my karting, MX photos.

My sharpening is like a 10 step process, and its different for every photo. You apply the same standard sharpening to every photo? ...not ideal but I'll look into it.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    If only Smugmug had these (in order of preference):
    1. Package pricing/volume discounts (for one or multiple photos)
    2. digital downloads
    3. Customized Watermarking
    4. Discount coupons

Is there any way for we customers to know if and where these items are on the radar?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    /sigh

I'm lost - Why would you be short changing customers by staying with Smugmug based on sharpening? Does EM process the shots in-house?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    I haven't switched from SM to EM yet, nor have I decided whether I will or not either. Both sites have their strengths.

Hey Bill,

This seems to contradict that statement ?

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    /sigh

Dodge, As House Pro it's my job to help you with these issues in your workflow. What, exactly, are you experiencing with regard to sharpening issues on your 4x6 prints? Could you give me some representative links so I can look at the original files? Can you refererence me an order number so I can see what was done at the lab? Can you please tell me what your workflow is after shooting - what, if any, post processing you do? If you do not sharping or post-processing, could you tell me what camera you shoot with, and what your standard in-camera parms are?

I'm anxious to hear the answers to these questions so I can help you get the best results for you and for your customers.

I can also help you, teach you, some very simple batch routines that many high-volume event pros use, so that after the shoot, they get the photos all done, and then they're off to the next job. The shots from the prior job are all batched and done by the computer deal.gif

All the best,
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Right Gary - but actually - it wasn't - while we all have big shoulders here at SmugMug, we won't stand up to untruths - and we do have a track record of implementing features that our customers want and ask for - and my point, as I've said before, we want to do this. We hope to do it. And many other pro features, too. In the meantime, we even foster and offer up various workarounds.

I'm truly sorry that you're not happy with the pace of innovation. One of the reasons I'm here is to try and do something about that thumb.gif

I wish you continued great success, wherever, Gary. BTW, how did you make out with my friend Jerry that I recommended to you for website work?

Jerry is doing some work for me, but Im still waiting for a test page from him
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Jerry is doing some work for me, but Im still waiting for a test page from him

OH Good. I'm glad that it' workng out, I didn't see any news of this. Good to hear!
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I can also help you, teach you, some very simple batch routines that many high-volume event pros use, so that after the shoot, they get the photos all done, and then they're off to the next job. The shots from the prior job are all batched and done by the computer deal.gif
    ear.gifoh yeah?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I'm lost - Why would you be short changing customers by staying with Smugmug based on sharpening? Does EM process the shots in-house?

The difference I'm talking about isn't with the lab. With EM you have the option to upload a "Display Only" picture. Then when an order is made, EM sends you an E-mail with the filename or whatever, asking you to upload the original. This way you can post process only the pictures that are ordered mwink.gif
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    The difference I'm talking about isn't with the lab. With EM you have the option to upload a "Display Only" picture. Then when an order is made, EM sends you an E-mail with the filename or whatever, asking you to upload the original. This way you can post process only the pictures that are ordered mwink.gif

One of the neat things about Smugmug that I like is that I can upload all my originals. Makes for a nice backup. If my original wasn't on Smugmug and something happened to my computer at home and I wasn't able to upload the original, well, that would be bad. Even though I have several levels of backup at home. I'm just saying ...

Also, my question would be, what if you happen to be out of town for a few days when EM emails you asking for the original? Seems there might be quite a delay getting those photos off to the customer that way. Maybe not ne_nau.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Dodge, As House Pro it's my job to help you with these issues in your workflow. What, exactly, are you experiencing with regard to sharpening issues on your 4x6 prints? Could you give me some representative links so I can look at the original files? Can you refererence me an order number so I can see what was done at the lab? Can you please tell me what your workflow is after shooting - what, if any, post processing you do? If you do not sharping or post-processing, could you tell me what camera you shoot with, and what your standard in-camera parms are?

I'm anxious to hear the answers to these questions so I can help you get the best results for you and for your customers.

All the best,
    I'm sorry for the confusion Andy. I'm not complaining about any prints I've ordered from Smugmug. I compared a lab print that was done straight from camera to one that I sharpened in Photoshop (a long process, not your normal 1-pass USM sharpening!).

I guess I could batch them all with a 1-pass USM sharpen, but it definitely won't be as good! I can upload the 2 pictures I tested with, if you think that'll help.

As for my workflow, I'm still working that out lol. I've only done a few events and I haven't worked out a plan yet. I recently bought Noise Ninja and I'm using the Canon Rebel XT. I'll find a link to the sharpening I'm doing and post that if you'd like.

Edit: I'll post more in alittle bit - Got some work to do first!
  • Options
    dkddkd Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dodge, this is a free site, and as long as folks comply with the rules, they can post anything they like. Including what they like about our competitors.

We actually make it quite easy to leave SmugMug - because we believe that we should be delivering value, service - and if we're not, why we don't want you to be a victim of "lock in."

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2005/07/06/vendor-lock-in-sucks-making-it-easy-to-leave-smugmug/

Andy,

I read this entire thread about EM. I even went to their comparison page and was honestly WOW'd. I came back here to your post to get more information on "making it easy to leave smugmug". What are the details? For example: is there a prorated refund of the sign-up fee? You mentioned having a CD of all your images made if one leaves SM; what is the cost?, etc.

BTW, I'm not making any decisions; just gathering information. And, I must add this, SM has the very best customer service I've ever encountered.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    One of the neat things about Smugmug that I like is that I can upload all my originals. Makes for a nice backup. If my original wasn't on Smugmug and something happened to my computer at home and I wasn't able to upload the original, well, that would be bad. Even though I have several levels of backup at home. I'm just saying ...

Also, my question would be, what if you happen to be out of town for a few days when EM emails you asking for the original? Seems there might be quite a delay getting those photos off to the customer that way. Maybe not ne_nau.gif

Its an option, you can upload all of your originals if you want to.