Options

Smugmug has some shoes to fill

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    My sharpening is like a 10 step process, and its different for every photo. You apply the same standard sharpening to every photo? ...not ideal but I'll look into it.
    Never said it was ideal, said it was better than not doing anything at all. 95% of my photos are outdoor, natural light racing. They are all rather similar and respond nearly identically to sharpening.

Of course individually sharpening photos is better still, but not doing anything at all is hard to justify. You would be surprised, however, how much better even a batched sharpening pass can do.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    dkd wrote:
    Andy,

I read this entire thread about EM. I even went to their comparison page and was honestly WOW'd. I came back here to your post to get more information on "making it easy to leave smugmug". What are the details? For example: is there a prorated refund of the sign-up fee? You mentioned having a CD of all your images made if one leaves SM; what is the cost?, etc.

BTW, I'm not making any decisions; just gathering information. And, I must add this, SM has the very best customer service I've ever encountered.

Hi DKD wave.gif

Here is the info on Backup CDs / DVDs:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/backups

There is not a pro-rated refund of your subscription fee, the fee is paid in advance for one year at a time.

I hope this helps, and thanks for the kind words, I'll make sure the rest of the team sees them thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Bill,

This seems to contradict that statement ?
    Which is something I need to change in that blog. The more I look at EM and the demands of the day job, the less attractive their features become for my particular needs. Proof uploads won't save me any work, they will make work for me. Digital downloads are a big plus. But the site has no asethetic appeal from appearances.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Never said it was ideal, said it was better than not doing anything at all. 95% of my photos are outdoor, natural light racing. They are all rather similar and respond nearly identically to sharpening.

Of course individually sharpening photos is better still, but not doing anything at all is hard to justify. You would be surprised, however, how much better even a batched sharpening pass can do.

hhhmmm, maybe I can make a photoshop action to do my 10 step process on each photo...Or at least each TYPE of photo. I'll look into that tonight.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Wow I just read the whole thread and im not sure what to say. Certainly smugmug doesnt have everything we all want but hey read thier update blog and see how often they give us fresh content and features. People always get hung up on that grass is greener on the other side thing. But when you get over there you find that green grass is filled with just as many weeds as the side you left. I really didnt like this other place touting upload display only pics and then give us your original as a feature. I mean my philosophy is give your best from the start.

Anway just my .02 cents. :deadhorse
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Which is something I need to change in that blog. The more I look at EM and the demands of the day job, the less attractive their features become for my particular needs. Proof uploads won't save me any work, they will make work for me. Digital downloads are a big plus. But the site has no asethetic appeal from appearances.

Does this mean you are now staying with SM?

The proof upload process doesn't appeal to me as I want to upload once then move to the next project. I prefer to have my adjusted shots viewed by potential customers. Otherwise it would be like going into a store in which all the merchandise was dirty with a big sign "we'll clean when you buy". My "impulse buying gene" would certainly be turned down. This being said, I'm sure many people much more successful than myself, operate in that fashion.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:

The proof upload process doesn't appeal to me as I want to upload once then move to the next project. I prefer to have my adjusted shots viewed by potential customers. Otherwise it would be like going into a store in which all the merchandise was dirty with a big sign "we'll clean when you buy". My "impulse buying gene" would certainly be turned down. This being said, I'm sure many people much more successful than myself, operate in that fashion.

It is very hard to tell the difference between a Smugmug-medium sized 400x600 pixel .jpg thats been sharpened (for print) and one that hasn't. Smugmug also autosharpens these pictures anyway so there won't really be a difference in what the customer sees on the site.

There WILL be a difference in the print though!
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:

Its swinging that way but I'm still not committed one way or the other. Only been looking into EM for about two weeks now. The grass looks greener -- lower prices and commission, unlimited sub-categories, a nicer shopping cart, the ability to create and self-fulfill your own photo products, and DIGITAL DOWNLOADS from the shopping cart. The site looks amateurish though, and keywording is nowhere near as powerful as SM.
    The big reason for the proof uploading is to make event photographer's life easier. I took 1,600 photos at the last MX, and that probably wasn't enough. That takes over 32 hours to upload on cable modem. Proofs would take about 3.5 hours to upload. Huge difference that gets photos up faster for clients to browse and buy. You then upload the print-ready upon an order. Customer never knows the difference. Whether that work flow fits the demands of my day job is something I need to determine. But if I had no day job that is the way to do event photography.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    If only Smugmug had these (in order of preference):
    1. Package pricing/volume discounts (for one or multiple photos)
    2. digital downloads
    3. Customized Watermarking
    4. Discount coupons
    Bodley wrote:
    Is there any way for we customers to know if and where these items are on the radar?

Hello? Even the obligatory we're working on it would let us know your working toward these goals. Personally, I think they would be hard to implement, but I'm not a computer guru. I would like to think the Smugmuggers are working on the issues and making them the best they can be before delivery instead of just throwing out some half-baked solution to appease the squeaky wheel.

FWIW - Sorry guy's but I'm not planning on leaving. You'll just have to put up with me. The biggest reason is the family atmosphere and customer service which is second to none!!!!
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Hello? Even the obligatory we're working on it would let us know your working toward these goals. Personally, I think they would be hard to implement, but I'm not a computer guru. I would like to think the Smugmuggers are working on the issues and making them the best they can be before delivery instead of just throwing out some half-baked solution to appease the squeaky wheel.

FWIW - Sorry guy's but I'm not planning on leaving. You'll just have to put up with me. The biggest reason is the family atmosphere and customer service which is second to none!!!!

Hello Bodley,

A search on Dgrin would show that we've talked about these features many times. Yes, we know that you want these features. Yes, we'd like to have them. Digital downloads, custom watermarks, packages are all on our radar. We never say when a new feature will be available. I think you meant to say "they would not be hard to implement" and I can tell you that nothing is ever as easy as it seems.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    The big reason for the proof uploading is to make event photographer's life easier. I took 1,600 photos at the last MX, and that probably wasn't enough. That takes over 32 hours to upload on cable modem. Proofs would take about 3.5 hours to upload. Huge difference that gets photos up faster for clients to browse and buy. You then upload the print-ready upon an order. Customer never knows the difference. Whether that work flow fits the demands of my day job is something I need to determine. But if I had no day job that is the way to do event photography.

I shoot about 800-1000 shots a weekend myself and understand were your coming from. I try to batch process as much as possible. Not a good as individual but better than out of camera.

I think Baldy was brainstorming a solution to this about 8 months ago.

I would like to see something like this: when an order is placed the photog would be notified by email with the opportunity to submit a processed replacement photo. The order would be placed on hold for 24-48 hours. After which time the order would be filled - either with the replaced photo or as placed if the photog didn't respond with a change. The problem would be email reliability. Maybe placed on hold, with automated emails daily, until the photog responds. No response for 7 days and the order is rejected with an email back to the customer stating the photogs failure to respond. This fulfillment method would be an option selected by the photog in gallery customization "automatic" or "photog approved".

I know I rambling - just some thoughts.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    24 hours would work best I think :)

If I can create a good Photoshop Action system though, I might not need this functionality. Thanks for the idea guys ;)

Would still like Digital Downloads though!
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hello Bodley,

I think you meant to say "they would not be hard to implement" and I can tell you that nothing is ever as easy as it seems.
    No, to me they seem hard to implement in the best fashion. Again, I'm no guru, maybe their easy. I just want a well thought out solution not knee-jerk reaction.

Yes, I know that has been discussed in other threads - just felt like it needed to be said, about these items, here by an official Smugmugger to counteract some of the negative talk.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    No, to me they seem hard to implement in the best fashion. Again, I'm no guru, maybe their easy. I just want a well thought out solution not knee-jerk reaction.

Yes, I know that has been discussed in other threads - just felt like it needed to be said, about these items, here by an official Smugmugger to counteract some of the negative talk.

thumb.gif Gotcha - yeah things are always harder than they seem. Thanks, Bodley!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Apples and Oranges.

EM is a pro solution built on a pro template.
    SM is a photo sharing solution, read amateur, that offers a pro option, but that option is built upon an amateur template.

Smug Mug started as and still is a photo sharing site and if they want to go as an all round pro solution, I think they need to reinvent and gear it towards that and keep it separate or they can stay with an intermediate solution like they have now. It's a very good service, but for a full pro service, I think it lacks, but again I don't see that as their initial business statement, nor do I see that as their main promotion for their service.

I think complaining that Smug Mug doesn't meet your professional needs is like complaing that Red Lobster doesn't offer enough steak or chicken dishes on their menu.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    Apples and Oranges.

EM is a pro solution built on a pro template.
    SM is a photo sharing solution, read amateur, that offers a pro option, but that option is built upon an amateur template.

Smug Mug started as and still is a photo sharing site and if they want to go as an all round pro solution, I think they need to reinvent and gear it towards that and keep it separate or can they can stay with an intermediate solution like they have now. It's a very good service, but for a full pro service, I think it lacks, but again I don't see that as their initial business statement, nor do I see that as their main promotion for their service.

I think complaining that Smug Mug doesn't meet your professional needs is like complaing that Red Lobster doesn't offer enough steak or chicken dishes on their menu.

Hey Official Smugmuggers, just what is Smugmug's Business Plan - long/short term goal? Is the plan to orient toward event/pro shooters?
    Greg
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Hey Official Smugmuggers, just what is Smugmug's Business Plan - long/short term goal? Is the plan to orient toward event/pro shooters?
    Hi Bodley, thanks for posting.

Plan to orient toward pros? I think that many, many thousands already think we are deal.gif Can we do more? Yes. Will we? Most assuredly. Will we say by what date which feature will come out? No.

We're committed to our Pros - I think that that is evidenced by SmugMug bringing me on board as House Pro, among other duties. We have a Pro offering, with full-service and support, that I would stack up against anyone out there. Our lab and our methods there are finely tuned to give great results. A pro's customer can email at 7am, complaining about prints that were "too dark" (they were underexposed) and by 720am I had new prints off to the lab. Prints the customer will be thrilled with, at no charge to the pro or the client. We Guarantee complete Satisfaction, and perform color corrections and reprints, for any reason, at no charge and with speed, tact, and aplomb, on a daily basis. As a working pro, doing lots of jobs, this is a huge benefit. We're servicing many thousands of pros right now - and their tens of thousands of customers - with quality products and nearly 365days a year service.

Oriented to Pros? We're there, man.

Are we missing some features? Sure we are. I have an Exposure Manager account. And a DotPhoto account. And a Shutterfly account. And PhotoReflect. And ... and.. and. Everyone's got something different. I'll tell you what though -- except for a few features like package pricing, and digital downloads, none of those features make the pro any more money - and more importantly are not substitues for good shooting techniques, good marketing, good salesmanship, good post-processing, good workflow, and good pro-customer service (e.g. a "thank you card.").

We intend to expand our pro features, and products offered, as I've been describing for a long time here on Dgrin. We have a substantial number of professional subscribers, and that number continues to grow on a daily basis.
    I'd like to grow that even more. That will happen, if we can keep up the level of service we're offering, as well as innovate, and also offer some of these new features. I plan on working to make all of these happen.

Thanks again for posting, and for listening!
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    In all the requests that I have seen people ask about, you and smugmug always seem to say the following."Can we do more? Yes. Will we? Most assuredly. Will we say by what date which feature will come out? No."

With that being said, instead of hiding behind that statement. Why does smugmug not just give us a little more feedback on exactly what they want to implement at least what ideas are currently on the table or what is currently being worked on.
    In all fairness to Smugmug, it is not uncommon for a business to keep future features close to the vest until its time to release. This is not unusual. You might not like it, but from the business standpoint there are very good reasons to do this.
    Also You said, "except for a few features like package pricing, and digital downloads, none of those features make the pro any more money". How do you get by making that statement? Where is the proof that this will not allow the photographer to make more money?
    One, Andy said those particular things can make more money, its the other things that he questions. Given how long he's been a pro I'm willing to believe his statement.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    In all fairness to Smugmug, it is not uncommon for a business to keep future features close to the vest until its time to release. This is not unusual. You might not like it, but from the business standpoint there are very good reasons to do this.

One, Andy said those particular things can make more money, its the other things that he questions. Given how long he's been a pro I'm willing to believe his statement.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Nice baby picture, congrats.

Mine will be six on the 22nd
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Nice baby picture, congrats.

Mine will be six on the 22nd

Thanks! We're pretty excited!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Andy,

I don't want to sound like an azz but you sound like a politician, you say what you think people want to hear, but it’s far from the truth.
    I don't appreciate being called a liar, Gary. Find it, be specific, and call me on it, otherwise, change your tone, and be civil here. We don't tolerate abuse of any kind here on Dgrin, or at SmugMug. Period. Are we clear?

In all the requests that I have seen people ask about, you and smugmug always seem to say the following."Can we do more? Yes. Will we? Most assuredly. Will we say by what date which feature will come out? No."

With that being said, instead of hiding behind that statement. Why does smugmug not just give us a little more feedback on exactly what they want to implement at least what ideas are currently on the table or what is currently being worked on. What I want to know is what is currently on their table, and how will it help me. Instead of hearing we want to add more but we don't know how or when or if it will ever happen.
    Gary, let me be clear on this: "their table" is my table, too. We're all owners here, it's all our business and we all have a vested interest in making this succeeed.

Also You said, "except for a few features like package pricing, and digital downloads, none of those features make the pro any more money"

How do you get by making that statement? Where is the proof that this will not allow the photographer to make more money?

I don't care that you think it will not allow me to make more money, there are a lot of smugmugers who want to see this kind of stuff added, and that is what its all about pleasing the customer. I know it should make sence for smugmug to do it before wasting time and money, but the bottom line in all that I wrote is.
    Gary, we are a business, and everything we do gets prioritized based on many factors, one of which is input from customers here on Dgrin. There are many other things we do, which most of our customers aren't aware of, such as customer surveys, market research, focus group surveys, and individual one-on-one meetings with top selling pros, and representative pros from all segments of our pro base.

My point on features, is that it's not just features that make a good pro his money. Yes, certain feaures will make money for the pro - and others will make his life easier so that's important, too. And there are features that a pro *thinks* he wants but isn't sure how or if he'll use them. Tough balancing act, eh?

GIVE US SOME INSIDE INFO THAT WILL ALLOW US TO MAKE AN INFORMED DESSION ON WHAT WE CAN REALLY EXPECT FROM SMUGMUG, NOT THE FACT THAT THEY WANT TO ADD STUFF BUT WHAT IS ON THERE PLATE.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THEN WORDS, DONT JUST SAY IT.

DO IT.

I'm still a happy user of this service, I just don't like the hidden agenda.
    Gary, please do not shout at me. That is poor nettiquete, and also not tolerated here on Dgrin. Would you shout at me if we were sitting across the conference room table? I don't think so. Watch it.

We have said numerous times that we don't pre-announce anything. And we're not alone in this, Gary. Many great companies operate in the same manner. We have a good track record on innovation and improvements, and I intend to do all I can to help make that a great record.

I look forward to continuing this debate with you, Gary, though only if you can do so in a civil and courteous manner.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    I did not call you a liar, Its my opion on how I read your message.

I also was not shouting at you, I was tryting to make a point by using caps.

I put a lot of thought into what I wrote sorry if I came accross in thewrong tone.

Your points are right on, but as I read your answers to peoples posts.I still get your answer as a run around to not giving us any ideas on when any of our ideas would be even placed on the lets get it working for our coustomers.

Your right about Smugmug having a good track record on innovation and improvements, but again I don't see where your professional answers are the ones that people are looking for.

I will re ask the question, in a form I normally see.

Will Smugmug offer digital downloads, its a simple answer yes or no. And if its yes, the next question would be is there any idea when it would be working.

Again sorry for coming accross rude, I was just trying to make a point, was not lookign for a battle.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I also was not shouting at you, I was tryting to make a point by using caps.

All Caps is considered shouting online. Don't believe me, believe Bill. Writing text online is actually quite similar to talking. A point that is close to your heart should be made by putting extra care to the words you use, not by saying your words louder or typing in all caps. If nothing else, it makes that part harder to understand or read, so it's counter productive for many.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Again sorry for coming accross rude, I was just trying to make a point, was not lookign for a battle.

Gary, you said I speak "far from the truth," and from where I come from, that's calling me a liar, and that you continue to defend it, amazes me. Not typing in caps and raising the size of fonts is just good nettiquete. Doing it is against the rules civil debate here, and will not be tolerated. It *is* most certainly shouting, universally known on the internet. And now you know.

Gary, we want to offer digital downloads. There are no promises on if or when. I'm not telling you, or anyone, anything different than I've said in the past, for the reasons I've stated. I don't know how much more clear I can be on this, Gary.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 16, 2006
    I will re ask the question, in a form I normally see.

Will Smugmug offer digital downloads, its a simple answer yes or no. And if its yes, the next question would be is there any idea when it would be working.

Gary, i'm having a hard time understanding why you fail to get the message after Andy has explained it time and time again.

Their policy is not to announce planned features. period.

Imagine for a second if Google would have announced it's plans for gMail ahead of time....it would have given the other online mail providers time to upgrade their services to be able to match features. As it stands the other providers are still trying to catch up in some ways. A big plus for google that would have been negated by a prior announcement.

Maybe a better example for you would be that there is a certain type of photography that you have figured out a new technique for. There may be the possibility of you making money with that technique because your photos turn out that much better because of it. Are you going to announce to everyone what your technique is? No you're not because you dont want to lose that competitive advantage.

I'm sorry you cant seem to comprehend this but i'm pretty sure no amount of badgering will change the collective minds of SM management.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gary, you said I speak "far from the truth," and from where I come from, that's calling me a liar, and that you continue to defend it, amazes me. Not typing in caps and raising the size of fonts is just good nettiquete. Doing it is against the rules civil debate here, and will not be tolerated. It *is* most certainly shouting, universally known on the internet. And now you know.

Gary, we want to offer digital downloads. There are no promises on if or when. I'm not telling you, or anyone, anything different than I've said in the past, for the reasons I've stated. I don't know how much more clear I can be on this, Gary.

Andy, thats my point I was trying to make.

You said "We want to, but we may or may not."

Thats like me saying I want to make 60,000 a year in wedding photography, that is a true statement, but i may or may not.

bigwebguy

The other guy, ie EM has done it already.........so in one area SM is behind.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Andy, thats my point I was trying to make.

You said "We want to, but we may or may not."

Gary - end of pissing match. I'm not going to respond on this part again. I guess you didn't attend the class on reading between the lines!

Have a good day.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gary - end of pissing match. I'm not going to respond on this part again. I guess you didn't attend the class on reading between the lines!

Have a good day.

I read the lines months ago.

Smugmug takes all our ideas, one at a time, puts it to thought, and maybe or maynot will put it to use.

We the end user won't know any thing till the end product has been added.

done
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I read the lines months ago.

Smugmug takes all our ideas, one at a time, puts it to thought, and maybe or maynot will put it to use.

We the end user won't know any thing till the end product has been added.

done

Sounds like a business process used by all businesses.

Think how ugly it would get if they said they were going to add a feature and then couldn't get it to work properly because of an unexpected glitch. They will be stuck listening to people scream at them (in all caps, of course) for the failure.

The telling of what you will do or add feature wise is for hype only. I've seen so many products saying they will include features and then upon release not have them.

I think your driving this into the ground because you're not hearing the answer you want. Smug Mug is a good business that stands behind their product and I've been very happy using them and with their improvements in the last year. Would I like more? Yes, but what I have is well worth the money I pay for it. The mere fact that they have such terrific support for their product and offer a money back guarantee for prints is something I don't see elsewhere.