edited March 19, 2006
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
  • robert mccanerobert mccane Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    orright great:):
  • ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    idon't understand why you are having such a focus problem? and i'm not being too sarcastic, i hope, when i say that - perhaps - it's because i shoot nikon?

it can't be. however, i have skiers and boarders hurtling towards me and my silly D70 - in all light conditions - usually with a 2.8 lens and set to servo or continuous and focus is the least of my problems. timing, with only 3 shots per second, is more key. sometimes i prefer a single shot to guarantee i get THEE moment. with my F5? - no problem - if i can afford the film, i'm gonna get the shot, put the hammer down!!1

maybe, if your action enters the frame from the side, it's because you aren't setting your focus field to the one closest to where your action enters the frame?

are you opened up so far that your depth of field is too thin?

are you prefocusing to the spot where you know you will first see your action - then, when the action enters the frame are you moving with it, while holding your shutter button down halfway - giving your camera time to hook the action?

am i too annoying?

i'm a technical moron, so i should give it up........good luck!

gotta admire you for getting so close to your action!

i don't know why, but getting close to skiers and boarders doesn't seem as intimidating as spokes and steel. plus - i get snow all over my stuff (especially when i forget to shut my backpack all the way), and climbing chalk dust does tend to get all over my gear, but that outback dirt looks really nasty.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Too large an ap was indeed the problem...shot hundreds today a lot lot faster & in worse conditions ...sat on f4.5 to f5 & nailed almost every shot. Thanks guys.
    I can't wait to see the new shots, Gus. The first batch were exciting enough.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I can't wait to see the new shots, Gus. The first batch were exciting enough.

Yeah, show us the money!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    [Too large an ap was indeed the problem...shot hundreds today a lot lot faster & in worse conditions ...sat on f4.5 to f5 & nailed almost every shot. Thanks guys./QUOTE]

DOH! guess i missed this final post.

where are the pics?