Comments

• mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    I'm still down (ruama.com) and still can't reach joker.com
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    mbrady wrote:
    I'm still down (ruama.com) and still can't reach joker.com

Yeah, I'm down AGAIN. Stoking up the fire. Come on Guru's - Little Help/advise or thoughts about what's happening?

FWIW, my internet connection is at top speed today.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    edited March 23, 2006
    I checked my StatCounter stuff and it looks like it was working again at some point last night, but not now.
  • tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    If anyone speaks German, perhaps try calling joker.com's parent company:

http://nrw.net/kontakt.php

Just a thoughtne_nau.gif
  • BassAnglerBassAngler Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Still no issues here. I have checked multiple times and my www.kenspics.com has worked flawlessly.

Maybe they have a problem on a computer different than where my domain sits? Clueless when it comes to this....ne_nau.gif
    edited March 23, 2006
    I just found this on Joker's site under news:

Joker.com currently experiences massive distributed denial of service attacks against nameservers.
    This affects DNS resolution of Joker.com itself, and also domains which make use of Joker.com nameservers.
    We are very sorry for this issue, but we are working hard for a permanent solution.
    Thank you for your understanding,

Your Team of Joker.com
    edited March 23, 2006
    BassAngler wrote:
    I just found this on Joker's site under news:

That's somewhat comforting. At least we know Joker didn't close up shop or something like that, and also that the outages aren't technically their fault (although maybe they need some of the smugmug team to give them some pointers on fighting back!).
    I've also noticed that my site is back again, but until the DoS attack is dealt with completely, I imagine that it could be flaky still.

This should also be a reminder to be sure that your PCs have all the latest security updates and virus scanner updates installed, otherwise your PC could actually be taking part in the attack on Joker.com.
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    This is related to the Joker problem. Just tried to change my guest password & got this error message about my hostname:

host.jpg

Someone wanna clue me in on what the heck is going on???
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    This is related to the Joker problem. Just tried to change my guest password & got this error message about my hostname:

Someone wanna clue me in on what the heck is going on???

It means we can't find or resolve your customhostname.
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It means we can't find or resolve your customhostname.

I think he wants to know what has caused the problem. Does it mean you can't find the Joker host sight?

Just what does it all mean AAAARRRGGGGG!
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    edited March 23, 2006
    I can hear the Joker laughing now. *Insert from the original Batman movie when Joker falls off the building in the end & has that laughing sound box in his jacket pocket*
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Well, FWIW, my site is back up and linking back to Smugmug again. Lets hope this was an isolated incident.

Andy, thanks for going to bat for us little people thumb.gif It was much appreciated especially to a newb like me who is still learning the dgrin ropes (as it were)
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited March 23, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I think he wants to know what has caused the problem. Does it mean you can't find the Joker host sight?

Just what does it all mean AAAARRRGGGGG!
    We'll give that message if we can't resolve the hostname. And since Joker was down due to the DDOS attack, well, we couldn't resolve the name.
    edited March 24, 2006
    Aaargh! My site is down again. Lets hope they can get this issue resolved asap, since I was hoping to launch the site within a few days (begs the internet gods for mercy)
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Aaargh! My site is down again. Lets hope they can get this issue resolved asap, since I was hoping to launch the site within a few days (begs the internet gods for mercy)
    I'm with joker also and have been having problems for the last three days! I did a photo shoot yesterday and the client needs to be able to see them...
    HELP!!! I sent a support email to Joker yesterday morning and still no reply!!! How do I switch to another domain? Any suggestions would be helpful
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
    edited March 24, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    How do I switch to another domain? Any suggestions would be helpful
    I think you just find another domain & do a transfer using your new service provider. Pretty sure it can take a couple days to get smoothed out though.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    I'm with joker also and have been having problems for the last three days! I did a photo shoot yesterday and the client needs to be able to see them...
    HELP!!! I sent a support email to Joker yesterday morning and still no reply!!! How do I switch to another domain? Any suggestions would be helpful

You could of course give your username.smugmug.com address to the client.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You could of course give your username.smugmug.com address to the client.
    I didn't even think of that--THANKS!thumb.gif
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
    edited March 25, 2006
    Nooooo! Still down, day four here. I've got a feeling this issue has overwhelmed Joker.com, but even that being said, for an outage to last for this long? I'm trying very hard not to become further agitated, but at this point, I might have to make other options available soon. Can anyone recommend a newbie like me on what to do in case this continues beyond the next 24 hours?
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Nooooo! Still down, day four here. I've got a feeling this issue has overwhelmed Joker.com, but even that being said, for an outage to last for this long? I'm trying very hard not to become further agitated, but at this point, I might have to make other options available soon. Can anyone recommend a newbie like me on what to do in case this continues beyond the next 24 hours?

Realistically you're probably not going to be able to transfer the domain away with Joker.com out of it. The question is then do you want to rough it out, or add another domain?

But Smugmug only supports a single C-NAME record, so you'd have to do something ugly like A-NAMEs.

I would point out that it was working for over half of yesterday, and that the DNS people are not alone in having DDOS problems. Smugmug went flaky a little while ago under the same problems.

In my case it was 2 hours after I posted 160 photos for a client group. I simply sent them a direct link to the site, which uses a different DNS architecture. If it continues I'll probably register the UK version of my domain and point it through an A-NAME redirect and track any IP changes myself.

If you really need to change you could consider moving DNS providers, but I'm not sure how many of them would do better under the circumstances.

The likes of Register.com probably would based on the major companies that I know use them, but they are an infuriatingly annoying company to work with (I have a domain with them as well)

I would give it a week if you can. DDOS attackers tend to get bored fairly quickly. If this was an accidental outage then your reaction would be exactly correct, run screaming to someone else, but under malicious attack it's more reasonable. Also note that the outage pattern matches what I would expect for a DDOS attack, so they're probably not lying.

Luke
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    I'm not all tha tech savvy...what's DDOS. Did hackers screw w/ the internet again?
    edited March 25, 2006
    It's finally affected my site. I have been dead in the water since yesterday sometime.

:cry
    edited March 25, 2006
    I'm not all tha tech savvy...what's DDOS. Did hackers screw w/ the internet again?

Denial Of Service Attack:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddos_attack
    edited March 25, 2006
    Once again the following is posted at Jokers site.
    Joker.com currently experiences massive distributed denial of service attacks against nameservers.
    This affects DNS resolution of Joker.com itself, and also domains which make use of Joker.com nameservers.
    We are very sorry for this issue, but we are working hard for a permanent solution.
    Thank you for your understanding,

Your Team of Joker.com
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    That Joker.com is even able to get such a message out is good, many times with a DDOS that is not possible. DDOS are very nasty and hard to get under control. I woud cut Joker some slack on this, it can happen to anyone, Microsoft got hit a few years back, Gibson Research got nailed, and that guy (gibson) is tough. While ISPs and Domain hosts try and set their routers/equipment up to stop DDOS, hackers are always finding other ways around the 'fixes'.

I would not want to be in Joker.com's shoes right now, they are really scrambling I'm sure. So while it is very frustrating for all of you, what they are going though is much worse.

For my personal web use I keep two sets of DNS server numbers on hand, that way if one batch is taken out I plug in a different address. That won't help in this case but will help if your route (DNS) goes down.

Just some thoughts.
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Yeah, I'm down AGAIN. Stoking up the fire. Come on Guru's - Little Help/advise or thoughts about what's happening?

FWIW, my internet connection is at top speed today.

I've been down for almost 24 hours and it just came up in the last 10 minutes. Give it a try. Maybe they're all working.

Leeclap.gif