Options

guitar people?

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in The Big Picture
just kinda curious to see how many people play guitar on here and what they're playing. bass counts too:thumb

i have an oldie Truetone not quite sure what it is...:dunno but its got that classic oldie style and tone. heres a couple pics. #1 #2 #3

and i have a Washburn T-14 bass except is wood stained body.

went to the guitar shop today and played with a few and i'm in love. so now i'm thinking of getting an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe :lust

any suggestions?

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I do we get together every Tuesday night and play
    Shot with 707 I'm on the right playing guitar and harp

13509759-L.jpg

This is my favorite guitar has no wood all graphite ti really sounds good made in Hawaii

11568907-L.jpg

Me trying to be creativene_nau.gif

2986940-L.jpg

Fred
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Daniel,

I play for fun. I'm pretty much, a "Metal Head" ylsuper.gif. So my gear reflects my need.

This pic is not supposed to be artful, just the only pic I currently have of my guitar.

It is a Schecter C1-Artist (left handed, strung right handedheadscratch.gif) with Seymore Duncan "USA" pickups. Along with it, I own a Line-6 Spider-II 2x10 combo, and a Line-6 POD-xt effects board. You'll note by the dust, that I don't get to play, as much as I'd like to.

Take care...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    R Johns wrote:
    I play for fun. I'm pretty much, a "Metal Head" ylsuper.gif.

yeah, i like listening to metal and playing it occassionally. but when i'm just sitting down or by a campfire playing a song i prefer the tone and style of an acoustic ear.gif

plus, i'm torn between a 17-40 and the Ovation.:cry
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I think I have something wrong with me, cause I'm 38, and every time I pic up a guitar, all I want to do is ROCK! :cool

I thought for sure, by now, I'd own an acoustic...ne_nau.gif
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    i play some metallica, AC/DC, and Rammstein on my friend's Gibson electric.mwink.gif

pssst... know anyone who could use a bass and a 35watt bass amp? i'm selling my Washburn to help fund the Ovation.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I had a handful of axes...but only have 2 left. Couple of Strats (American Standards) One is Lake Placid blue with rosewood neck. The other is the traditional black with maple neck. Have not played in a good long while. Use to play lots of blues (Chicago/Texas style) and 60's rock. I have been toying with the idea of selling both guitars for some new LONG GLASS. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    I have been toying with the idea of selling both guitars for some new LONG GLASS. :D

nod.gif i hear ya.... i love the fact of knowing that i could easily sell both and buy a 30D, and some sweet L glass... but i don't think i could bring myself to do it... i think i just found a good deal on a 20D and 17-40 though.mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I hate to part with them...but I don't play them enough. Someone should enjoy them. I have 3 nephews (2 nieces) that I should probably save them for. They could start a band. I really would like that Canon 300mm f/2.8 and/or 500mm f/4. :): I use to have a few Yamaha acoustics..back "in the day" when they actually made kick butt acousics. None of this green wood go out of tune in 5 minute garbage I've seen lately. I want a 64' purple strat with maple neck. Had a buddy that had one.....
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    I want a 64' purple strat with maple neck.

ylsuper.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I have a Martin Sigma DM-1STCE which is sadly sitting on the same chair as you see in this attached photo. I think it has been sitting there neglected since I joined this forum. I had just purchased a Crate CA30D amp at the same time. Can't say that I play, because I don't. Just a guitar player wannabe. I think I have a better chance at photography, but I don't plan to sell the guitar. I vote for the glass, Daniel. :D

59271532-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I have a Martin Sigma DM-1STCE which is sadly sitting on the same chair as you see in this attached photo. I think it has been sitting there neglected since I joined this forum. I had just purchased a Crate CA30D amp at the same time.

i have that same issue of shutterbug lying on my computer desk. right next to PHOTOgraphic and Popular Photo. lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I love that cover shot...great wedding photography. I had it, until recently when my dog got pissed at me for ignoring her begging for food and decided to rip it into itty bitty pieces!!! :uhoh
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I had it, until recently when my dog got pissed at me for ignoring her begging for food and decided to rip it into itty bitty pieces!!! :uhoh

lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 9, 2006
    dan'lb-

started off in mandolin about five years ago--added a fiddle-- then bought a 1917 gibson f4--have another cheapo mandolin and fiddle and then got an electric fiddle--
    got into guitars and have an electric, two round necked dobros, an acoustic and two classicals-
    electronic piano (and regular piano upstairs) and electronic drumset-

and all I do when I'm not working 50-60 hours per week is take pictures and work on ps and stay on this forum-

oh well--ocd for you-

george
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    picked this up a couple weeks ago, and have been extremely happy with it. I go through phases... guitar.... camera.... guitar.... camera....

right now I'm in a guitar phase.

It's a Gretsch Duo Jet, Cadillac Green, reissue of a rare 1957 model, and it sounds awesome through my Orange AD30.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 9, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

any suggestions?

Daniel
    Buying a guitar is similar to buying a camera in that the "right" instrument is the one that sounds and feels right to you. Figure out what your budget is then try lots of them. Be sure to look at used models. At the lower end, you can save lots of money that way and at the high end you find that the best guitars are old ones.

I have been playing for (gasp) over 40 years and have gone through a number of acoustic and electric guitars. Right now, I have a Spanish classical guitar and a Martin M-38, which is a gem. Since I took up photography I play a lot less than I used to. But the Martin will last a lifetime and I don't feel any need to replace it.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Buying a guitar is similar to buying a camera in that the "right" instrument is the one that sounds and feels right to you. Figure out what your budget is then try lots of them. Be sure to look at used models. At the lower end, you can save lots of money that way and at the high end you find that the best guitars are old ones.

I have been playing for (gasp) over 40 years and have gone through a number of acoustic and electric guitars. Right now, I have a Spanish classical guitar and a Martin M-38, which is a gem. Since I took up photography I play a lot less than I used to. But the Martin will last a lifetime and I don't feel any need to replace it.

Cheers,

nod.gif i just went back up there and fell in love with a Martin DMiloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    camping, guitars and teenage passion just totally rock

43351050-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    AHHHH i just went to the guitar store again and played a Martin DM and an Ovation Elite 6778LX

martin= 749 +tax, impeccable tone, but its a dreadnought and not particularly my style of guitar.

Ovation= 1059 +tax, great tone, feels great on my leg, and is the style i love.....

but i don't have 1059 dollars.:cry

i'm gonna go back up there tomorrow, play the martin and play a couple other ovations and maybe a couple fenders to see which ones i like best....
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    6 & 12 string
    I do.. But my style is mostly "urban romance" (XIX century Russia), which sounds pretty alien to an average american ear...ne_nau.gif

28620147-M.jpg

However, I play some Beatles and blues, too:-):D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    However, I play some Beatles and blues, too:-):D

i love Blackbird.iloveyou.gif one of my fav. acoustic parts.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    jmandomanjmandoman Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    Guitars and Things
    Started as a drummer doing Beatles type stuff in the late 60's. Fell in with an odd bunch of guys playing bluegrass, celtic, and some original acoustic. We stayed together for 27 years. The last 4 years has been in another strange group playing celtic, maritime, folkie stuff.

Current line-up: '72 Guild D-35, '99 Taylor 810CE, '98 Stelling mandolin, Alvarez 5-string banjo, '60's era round neck Dobro, bouzouki, 2 old no-name fiddles, '95 Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and a '62 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

I've taken pix of my stringed friends and they seem to appreciate it. At least they sit still without fidgeting during the shoot. Not sure what my camera gear thinks about the music.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 10, 2006
    Don't do it...
    Only kidding. I have an Ovation. Not that I play it well but I like it.
    Have you tried a Seagull?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited April 10, 2006
    Always wanted a Martin D-18 (or a 28, or 35, or 45 lol3.gif).
    I just checked their web pages. Yikes! They're a lot more cash nowadays than in their 1978 catalogue. Only $550 back then. eek7.gif

Now only if I didn't have that nasty carpal tunnel thing... :cry

EDIT: D-45 Celtic Knot Limited Edition $35,000 :wow :yikes
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    D-45 Celtic Knot Limited Edition $35,000 :wow :yikes

that... is an amazing looking guitar... check out those fret-markers.iloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    that... is an amazing looking guitar... check out those fret-markers.iloveyou.gif

Yes, that's the "Celtic Knot" pearl inlay. Way cool, but not $26,000 premium over the stock D45 cool.rolleyes1.gif Perhaps I'll find one used on eBay. lol3.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I've got a Tak and an Ovation. I play for catharsis alone. I play to no crowd! I have no name! (that was a weak Oh Brother Where Art Thou? reference)

I can't recall ever taking a picture of either of my guitars... it's on the to-do list. But first I must learn Free Bird, ha-ha-ha.

cool thread Dan.

peace,
    Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    I play to no crowd! I have no name! (that was a weak Oh Brother Where Art Thou? reference)

lol3.gif
    I've got a Tak and an Ovation.

whatcha think of that ovation rich?
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Only kidding. I have an Ovation. Not that I play it well but I like it.
    Have you tried a Seagull?

Ian

what ovation ya got?

nope... haven't tried a seagull yet... i'm pretty much sold on either an Ovation, a Martin, or a 17-40 :uhoh its such a tough choice! ahhhh
    Daniel Bauer