• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I know just what the OP needs...
    to go with his whine!

swiss.jpg

Hey wait....I should have entered that in the challenge umph.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    The challenges are fun. They make me use my camera in some new way I probably wouldn't try on my own. I've learned a ton doing them and seeing how others approach them.

It's fun. It's subjective. You can't get nuts about it. Complaining about the judging is like yelling at the referree at a youth soccer game: it misses the point of the game, and it's bad manners.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    the only thing this thread shows is poor us ---more time complaining about the same thing --Angelo you are a bad boy umph.gif picking the wrong pictures -how in the he-- did you do that headscratch.gif winning is just not what it's cracked up to be ----just remember that old saying ne_nau.gif if they can't take a joke
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    well, he had to "pore" it out of the pot :):)

You know, I was seriously taking the humorous "pour us" approach to the porous challenge before I happened upon the shot I ended up entering......:Drolleyes1.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Rally you're lucky the moderators here are very fair. They could have easily flamed your name or have you banned or even have your post deleted as if it didnt exist, but they are kind enough to keep the subject open. I can name some other forums where this would have probably ended with a quick flame and kick/ban, but I wont call names. rolleyes1.gif

However you have to understand that there are rules imposed on the site and you just have to respect them. Not everyone wins. You just have to deal with it right?
    I'm sorry but it my opinion qualifies for a Ban/delete, than maybe it's good that i don't come here too often rolleyes1.gif I don't think anyone with some brains would want to turn this forum to big pack of photography friends that pet themselves and their pictures without any critique.
    And certainly, i'm not aware of any rules that say you cannot ciritique something/someone and express your point of view. If that's the case I'll be more than happy to leave this forum.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I'm sorry but it my opinion qualifies for a Ban/delete, than maybe it's good that i don't come here too often rolleyes1.gif I don't think anyone with some brains would want to turn this forum to big pack of photography friends that pet themselves and their pictures without any critique.
    And certainly, i'm not aware of any rules that say you cannot ciritique something/someone and express your point of view. If that's the case I'll be more than happy to leave this forum.

Hi Rally, we do NOT ban or moderate for this type of post, as you can clearly see. In fact, we welcome the discussion! mr peas was referring to OTHER places on the internet, not Dgrin.

ALL opinions are welcome, and encouraged, as is civil, well thought out debate.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Didnt I just say that they dont ban people here for expressing their opininions and you should be thankful they kept your 'protest' reply open on my previous post..unlike other places? ne_nau.gif

I think the people who run this place do encourage critique and expressing one's views but under the challenge area, its their choice who to pick the top 10, not yours and not mine. But you should be entitled to your opinion and the people here allowed you to voice it. You should at least be appreciative for that.

Now if you think you can pick out better images, you should participate in the next one, blow the judges and other dgrinners out of their mind and win! That way you can help picking out the winners for the next round. deal.gifphotomwink.gif
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I thought of posting the Dodger's infield ... but they weren't in town at the time.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    I thought of posting the Dodger's infield ... but they weren't in town at the time.

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:

That is funny! Even I "get" that one!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Wow. You go away for a few days...

Anyway, some of the challenges can be pretty abstract. Look at "Peace," for example, or "Movie Titles" or "Song Titles." How do you decide whether or not a particular entry fits those challenges? It's all a matter of interpretation. Frankly this is also true for most of the other challenges.

If a particular finalist doesn't seem to fit the challenge criteria as well as some of the others (in my interpretation, of course), I just don't vote for it.
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    sure, here you go. But again, i'm not the judge rolleyes1.gif
    63484725-L.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=11844&stc=1&d=1144524322

Everything is clearly visible here, you don't have to figure out if it rally is porous or not, simple, nice and well done.
    I'd just like to point out that he liked my picture... clap.gif Or at least thought it was 'selectable'. Thanks RM....

(But I disagree - and prefer Angelo's selection)
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters