taken 10/21/04
10259360-M.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Snappy, I really like that first one. The angle of the bridge is nice. The boats wake and the bird add a nice touch as well. Its a user, but I think you got better for us! Do you have access to this location again? I wan't to see where that bridge is coming from. A little wider perhaps?

The last two dont really do much for me. The clouds are nice, but there's not enough to it for me. Perhaps wider. Maybe you could even try a vertical camera position to isolate Mt. Miguel. Dunno, just throwing out whatever comes to mind.

Nice nice!
    Marshall

*edit* btw I really like the colors on #1
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Wow!! the First one is great!!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Snappy, I really like that first one. The angle of the bridge is nice. The boats wake and the bird add a nice touch as well. Its a user, but I think you got better for us! Do you have access to this location again? I wan't to see where that bridge is coming from. A little wider perhaps?

The last two dont really do much for me. The clouds are nice, but there's not enough to it for me. Perhaps wider. Maybe you could even try a vertical camera position to isolate Mt. Miguel. Dunno, just throwing out whatever comes to mind.

Nice nice!
    Marshall
    *edit* btw I really like the colors on #1

Sorry, I can't get back there for a while. It's in San Francisco and I'm in San Diego. I really could not get any more of the bridge on the right side of the image. There was another pier with buildings on it on my right. There was no access to that pier for me or I would have gone there. But I did try a crop. I want to show the shadows of the tall buildings in the water, so I cropped the sky and the left side. I think that brings the bridge a little closer. What do you think?

10261380-M.jpg
    SF/Oakland Bay Bridge and Treasure Island from Port of San Francisco
    Taken 10/10/04
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Lovely first shot, Snapster. Me, I would try cropping out a bit of the water, which would bring the bridge closer to the lower third of the image. I wouldn't touch the sky, it's really interesting.

Something like this, maybe?

10263705-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    I like the first one best of he three. Great perspective. I think a crop along the lines of what sid posted does alot for the composition of the photo and would try something like this. Works alot better for me. Great shot though.thumb.gif
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    I've been reading the posts re the time shots are taken for the challenges. As I lost my vote on 22 I thought I'd point out that 24 runs from monday, October 18th at 12:00:01 a.m. nyc time, through monday, November 1st at noon nyc time.

So if your right that your bridge shot was taken on 10/10/2004...................:cry

Sry.....

But wxwax is right about cropping off the water....

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 24, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    I've been reading the posts re the time shots are taken for the challenges. As I lost my vote on 22 I thought I'd point out that 24 runs from monday, October 18th at 12:00:01 a.m. nyc time, through monday, November 1st at noon nyc time.

So if your right that your bridge shot was taken on 10/10/2004...................:cry

Sry.....

But wxwax is right about cropping off the water....

Bod.

Actually because of concerns about leaf fallage, Andy said he would accept images from October 10 and after for the landscape challenge. 1drink.gif

You can see the thread for yourself here ...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=30648&postcount=1
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    10263705-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

I like this crop quite a bit!

I love that city. I wanted to live there out of college a few years back but I could NOT find a job so I couldn't afford it. But if you need an assistant and have a cheap room for rent... <smirk>

Thanks for sharind Snappy. :)
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lovely first shot, Snapster. Me, I would try cropping out a bit of the water, which would bring the bridge closer to the lower third of the image. I wouldn't touch the sky, it's really interesting.

Something like this, maybe?

Thanks Sid,
    I guess I was too caught up in shadows of the buildings in the foreground. They are really not as interesting as the sky, as you say. I had thought of cropping right at the tail of the boat wake myself. It makes a nice lead in line for the image. So I took your advice. Thanks.
    10311604-M.jpg
    Taken 10/10/04 at 4:45pm
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    San Diego Cityscape
    This is a picture of the San Diego Skyline taken from Coronado Island yesterday just as the sun was setting. There is some sunlight glinting off the buildings, but not very much. Comments?

10313969-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    It looks really good, Snappy. I thought the bird was bothering me the other day, but I was turned upside down, it must have been the water, smile, as I love the bird now.

If it were my photo, I would take see if a little burning with the thing set on 7 or so would delineate the water line from the city. That is such an unusual pretty color there, I think it is an asset in that it really is pretty and might be blurring the line between land and water.

As I said, I would only check it out with the opacity set at 7, I just did something with it set at 7, that is why I say that. I had it at 11 and it was too dark which is amazing to me.

It is a lovely picture as are the others. The others remind me of that other one you entered once. I like them especially the last one. But they aren't a bridge, bird, city, etc. Smile.

I saw you were on. I have been on somewhere all day, too tired to do anything else. Just now I found some photos I took that afternoon that I had forgotten about. I love them. So I have the one I have promised not to touch and the other two...........both of which come from a favorite place of mine. I can believe I forgot the fisherman as I had others of him that I played with. But I can't believe I didn't at least try to get the field of weeds and wildflowers with the house and the sea. I couldn't get down real close to the flowers without losing the ocean all together, I guess I just did so much that day............

I am exhausted, so is the computer, I can tell, but it is holding up much better. And tomorrow we get more memory installed.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Snappy, I think Sid hit the nail on the head with that crop. It's really got my attention now. We have a chellenger!

I really also like the SD skyline. I'm kinda torn, but I think I would still stick with the bridge w/ crop.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    i like what i'm seeing here in this thread ...
    i don't get to comment on all the challenge possible entries ... it's great to see the spirit of community going on here.

clap.gif to all of you for helping, keep it up! deal.gif
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is a picture of the San Diego Skyline taken from Coronado Island yesterday just as the sun was setting. There is some sunlight glinting off the buildings, but not very much. Comments?
    Nice skyline! I like the color that the setting sun gives to the surfaces of the buildings. The color seems to jump out at you.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I like the skyline except for the crane. Easy fix if you want.

I played golf several years ago, I think at Coronado Island, but I don't remember this skyline! Cities change fast ...

Good shot,
    Brad
    snapapple wrote:
    10313969-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    digismile wrote:

I played golf several years ago, I think at Coronado Island, but I don't remember this skyline! Cities change fast ...

Good shot,
    Brad

There are a lot of new buildings downtown. This is not the classic view of it though. This is kind of from the south end. The most distinctive buildings are hidden. The convention center is on the right but the lights are too bright. They blow out and ruin the picture. You know, I may take a stab at destroying that crane.:D Thanks for the ideas.
    Here's another possibility.This is the Coronado bridge. Which is on the very south end of downtown.
    10319573-M.jpg
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    the San Diego Syline is my fav. yet lovely sense of expansiveness that a land or city scape brings to mind.

Great detail and colors, deffinately gives one the sense of an evening event.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    digismile wrote:

Good shot,
    Brad
    Why does everyone want to get rid of the "cranes"? Seems like there is one in every cityscape. I never see it until someone mentions that we need to get rid of the crane.

Now out on a boat with the crane the subject, that is different, smile.

Snappy, I guess you need to clone that crane out of there post haste.

For some reason I find this crane thing funny. Never noticed them before. Probably weren't there with crane removal being the first thing done to a city.

ginger

Snappy, I like that photo, too. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Why does everyone want to get rid of the "cranes"? Seems like there is one in every cityscape. I never see it until someone mentions that we need to get rid of the crane.

Now out on a boat with the crane the subject, that is different, smile.

Snappy, I guess you need to clone that crane out of there post haste.

For some reason I find this crane thing funny. Never noticed them before. Probably weren't there with crane removal being the first thing done to a city.

ginger

Snappy, I like that photo, too. clap.gif

It is funny about that crane. I saw it there, but it never bothered me at all until someone pointed it out. I guess I'm just used to cranes. Like I said, most of those buildings are new. You should see the north end of town, so many new condo building going up! One day I counted 12 cranes just from where I was sitting in my car. rolleyes1.gif Actually, this one is down so low that it looks quite natural, kind of like a flag pole or something similar, just an addition to the roofline. mwink.gif

Guess no one liked the Coronado Bridge? That bridge is hard to photograph from the ground. It's so long! And it curves too. I guess it's not a bad photo, just not the best of the bunch. It's hard to beat San Francisco for skylines and bridges.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    [QUOTE=snapapple
    Guess no one liked the Coronado Bridge? That bridge is hard to photograph from the ground. It's so long! And it curves too. I guess it's not a bad photo, just not the best of the bunch. It's hard to beat San Francisco for skylines and bridges.[/QUOTE]

I liked the bridge, couldn't decide, then started focusing on that horrendous crane sticking out like you said, a flag pole in a large city.rolleyes1.gif

I loved the colors in the bridge, and it is different. I just could not decide.

g (I liked the composition, too. On the right, I think I was not sure about the bridge not going all the way across. Wonder why andy returned the fish eye lens, I would love one. He could have given it to you, too. With these bridges, we need wide, lol. Can't always be shootin' cranes.:D )
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    [QUOTE=snapapple
    Guess no one liked the Coronado Bridge? That bridge is hard to photograph from the ground. It's so long! And it curves too. I guess it's not a bad photo, just not the best of the bunch. It's hard to beat San Francisco for skylines and bridges.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I liked the bridge, couldn't decide, then started focusing on that horrendous crane sticking out like you said, a flag pole in a large city.rolleyes1.gif

I loved the colors in the bridge, and it is different. I just could not decide.

g (I liked the composition, too. On the right, I think I was not sure about the bridge not going all the way across. Wonder why andy returned the fish eye lens, I would love one. He could have given it to you, too. With these bridges, we need wide, lol. Can't always be shootin' cranes.:D )

Yeah my lens is not wide enough for these bridges. Darn! I shot most of these at full wide on my camera. That's an equivalent of 35 mm. Best I could do. I need to get back at the beginning of that bridge somehow and take it from the end going into the middle of the image. Unfortunately, it was getting too dark and I did not have time to get back to the car and drive down there before it got too dark.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    San Diego Cityscape
    This is my favorite cityscape of San Diego. I liked it just as it came out of the camera except for the bright lights on the Convention Center. The city is always talking about how they want everyone to put those yellow lights and direct them down to lessen the "light polution" and then they go and put these huge white lights on their own Convention Center. I was afraid it was a lost cause, but I developed it twice; one light and one dark, then layered the two. I think it works pretty well. What do you think?

This is the original as it came from the camera.
    10368888-M.jpg

This is the final version.
    10374107-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    I don't know.

ginger

Great except for those city lights. We have those things, too. They are on sometimes when I come over the bridges. I never thought about how they would photograph. There oughta be a law!

I really don't know.

I was out shooting, just kept going ............ with Bill, he stayed with me. I did not do a good job of a sunset, was not in the right place. Then of course it got dark, no tripod. AAAAGGGHHHHH I never in a million years would have guessed we would end up shooting at all to say the least of at night.

We had his van, work van, I can't keep my tripod in there. I just pick up my camera case with my purse anymore, but I didn't think I could talk him into more than a few minutes................. and we just got home. Sunset is 6:30.
    We were at breach inlet. Dolphin, couldn't catch the darn mammal, love seeing them, though.

ginger (I really don't know. Seems like there should be a bandaid we could put over stuff like that. Bright light areas, I mean.) headscratch.gif
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    I like this one better, the lights are not as intense ... great shit clap.gif

10371669-M.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is my favorite cityscape of San Diego. I liked it just as it came out of the camera except for the bright lights on the Convention Center. The city is always talking about how they want everyone to put those yellow lights and direct them down to lessen the "light polution" and then they go and put these huge white lights on their own Convention Center. I was afraid it was a lost cause, but I developed it twice; one light and one dark, then layered the two. I think it works pretty well. What do you think?

This is the original as it came from the camera.

This is the final version.
    10374107-S.jpg

I really like this shot snap.. I guess you have to tone the lights down a smidge but I think it's very dramatic indeed... looking forward to seeing it full size...clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    10368888-S.jpg
    Snap,

Would it be possible for you to reshoot this??? If so, make sure to bring a tripod, take one shot exposed normally, and imediately take another shot underexposed by about 2 stops. Then you could use Photoshop (or paintshop, etc...) to combine the two images. You would use the normal exposure for most of the image but then you could use the underexposued version to get rid of the overwhelming lights.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    10374107-S.jpg

I really like this shot snap.. I guess you have to tone the lights down a smidge but I think it's very dramatic indeed... looking forward to seeing it full size...clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks lynn,
    The lights are my problem. I've already layered a dark and a light version to get this. I don't know what else to do. Maybe Andy can help. It's my favorite shot, but those lights just kill it.:cry
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    Cityscapes
    These are the best so far.
    The Bay Bridge
    10378902-M.jpg

San Diego Skyline
    10377186-M.jpg

San Diego Skyline with Convention Center
    10374107-M.jpg

Can anyone help me with how to dim those lights. I shot this in RAW. I developed two versions and layered them, but this is the best I could do. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Snap,

Would it be possible for you to reshoot this??? If so, make sure to bring a tripod, take one shot exposed normally, and imediately take another shot underexposed by about 2 stops. Then you could use Photoshop (or paintshop, etc...) to combine the two images. You would use the normal exposure for most of the image but then you could use the underexposued version to get rid of the overwhelming lights.

Thanks Cletus,
    I could try to go over there tomorrow evening. It looked miserable out tonight so I didn't go. It drizzled off and on all day and was very grey, but then there was a great sunset. Who knew? I have to leave early to get there by sunset.
    It's supposed to rain tomorrow. Have to wait and see. Is it OK to touch the camera to change the setting to an underexposure? I'm assuming if everything is screwed down tight on the tripod, it won't move. I didn't realize I had to actually shoot it stopped down 2 stops. I exposed my RAW image twice, with one darker. But, I see that didn't do it. I'll try to do this again if I can get over there on a clear evening. Thanks loads for the tip. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    These are the best so far.
    The Bay Bridge

San Diego Skyline

San Diego Skyline with Convention Center

Can anyone help me with how to dim those lights. I shot this in RAW. I developed two versions and layered them, but this is the best I could do. Any suggestions?
    snappy this is a beautiful shot....
    10377186-M.jpg