What DLSR should I buy?

2»

Comments

• Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Changing ISO on a 30D:
    press one button, turn dial on the back to select ISO.
    There is no ritual involved, only non-Canon users whine about this being a ritual (and some canon users would like a dedicated ISO button, there is a dedicated ISO button though, only it controls 2 functions by means of both dials on the body).

For me the Canon 30D (the same as the 20D in use) is very ergonomical.
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    30D ergonomics comments
    Changing ISO on a 30D:
    press one button, turn dial on the back to select ISO.
    There is no ritual involved, only non-Canon users whine about this being a ritual (and some canon users would like a dedicated ISO button, there is a dedicated ISO button though, only it controls 2 functions by means of both dials on the body).

Yea, this seems like much ado about nothing, although I much preferred the ISO adjustment button on the back, as on the 300D, because I didn't have to look at it to hit it.

The ISO adjustment problem I'm having is that on the 300D the ISO is adjusted by the dial by the shutter release, whereas on the 30D it's on the dial on the back. Because of my long use of the 300D I am constantly changing the shooting mode by mistake. Doh!

I don't get the comfort issue, the shutter release dial seems to work well enough to me in either the vertical arrangement by Canon or the horizontal by Nikon. I'm split on whether I like Nikon's second dial at the top rear or Canon's reuse of the large dial on the back for secondary functions, each has their strong and weak points.

The ergonomic issue that drives me nuts with the 30D is that the shooting mode determines which dial operates aperture. Sometimes it's the top dial (Av mode), sometimes it's the rear dial (manual mode). I would like it to be the same all the time, otherwise I get it wrong when I switch modes. This is something that would be easier if Nikon's dial system were used, too.

Another thing I'd like to see is greater button reprogrammability. The "print" button is completely worthless. There are probably a worldwide set of two people who have ever used it on a 30D. I can think of a number of functions I would prefer to bind to that (like, say, ISO adjustment since that button is really easy to hit). Again Nikon beats Canon handily here.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Anyone else have any ergonomic issues?
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    I did try my brother's D70S but found it a bit unweildy. What I don't like about the Nikon's is that they only go to 200 ISO. I want something that goes to 100.

My D200 goes to 100ISO and has a dedicated ISO button FYI....

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Boy are we spoiled now! Remember when you had to open the back of the camera & change the film to change ISO? :) I personally like Canon's ergonomics overall & can get my 20D set where I need it very quickly. It could use some fine-tuning of course, though Canon's engineers don't seem to be listening; I cannot recall a single "I want a direct print button" posting ever in any of the several photo fora I hang out at, but there have been innumerable "I want a direct ISO button" and "I want a direct MLU button" threads.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Boy are we spoiled now! Remember when you had to open the back of the camera & change the film to change ISO? :)

Hah, you make a good point but then again with film I had like 4EVs of lattitude versus less than 2 with digital; I didn't need to change as often. And I could push process a stop or two if I really had to. Digital's relatively narrow dynamic range makes ISO selection a lot more critical.
    I cannot recall a single "I want a direct print button" posting ever in any of the several photo fora I hang out at, but there have been innumerable "I want a direct ISO button" and "I want a direct MLU button" threads.

Yea. Double yea. They must have let marketing put that in there. Marketing is full of people who can't even tie their shoes so they love stuff like Direct Print Buttons.

jim
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    My D200 goes to 100ISO and has a dedicated ISO button FYI....

That's good to know. Will have to check the prices out. Thanks
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    HURRAH!! Finally I found a DSLR I liked!
    Today I'm very happy. I'm now the proud owner of an Olympus E500!! I got a fantastic deal with 2 kit lenses (14-55mm & 40-150mm for £600 with a huge kit bag thrown in as well. The camera feels light in my hand, fits my hand well, has the ap dial that I like etc.

I'm just waiting for the battery to hurry up & charge so that I can go & play with my new toy!!! :Dclap.gifDclap.gifDclap.gif.

I just want to thank everyone for their help & advice.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    The E-500 is a very nice starting point.

I'll just quote what I wrote in one of the first replies.... And now start shooting and sharing. I can't wait, another E-system user aboard. clap.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there