*** Ineligible Ch. 64 - "Contextual Portraits" ***

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 15, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is a a side-kick for a primary thread: Dgrin Challenge 64 - "Contextual Portraits", designed to bring the ideas and the inspiration for the primary challenge participants.

All the rules pertinent for the primary thread are applied, with the exception of the following:
  • shots displayed do not have to fall into the primary challenge time frame, i.e. you can use your old ones:-)
  • no voting will be taking place, hence no prizes or awards can be expected
  • one person can post not just 1, but up to 3 images on the subject
Please post your inspirational work in this thread as a reply to this post.
As with the primary challenge itself, please do not comment/critique the submissions here, we want to keep this thread for submissions only. If you feel the need to comment - please start a separate thread.
Thanks - and let's rock this joint! :thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Rebecca
    She was an usher in a local upscale restaurant:

8495896-L.jpg
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    As long as the swan is dying, this is Lorna Feijoo rehearing this role at the Boston Ballet studio a couple of weeks ago.

65399644-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited May 8, 2006
    *** Ch. 64 -- Ineligible Chatter ***
    Here is a place to post comments to go with the Ineligible Thread.

I'll kick it off. Great redhead Nik. Now I know why you were so hellbent to do this!
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Let's keep one thread going. Ya'll will have to pay attention and quote properly, like this:

Nik, I think she's lovely and so's the portrait, but it's not a portrait in context. At the reservation stand, holding a bunch of menus, arm out showing the way, etc. She could be anywhere and anybody.
    8495896-Ti.jpg

Rutt, the dancer's lovely - but where's the context? How about, "at the bar," or "in makeup"? It's not in context. Oh and John - fix that vigging deal.gif
    65399644-Ti.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    He works in Jewlary shop

50305230-L.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Is this contextual? (taken some time ago)

46295995-L.jpg
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    She was an usher in a local upscale restaurant:

8495896-L.jpg

What a beauty but how is it a contextual portrait?

Bear
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Talking for Tips
    68252463-L.jpg
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Hannah's Art.

Her mom helped with the title work and blocking, the rest was the kid's.

27294018.jpg

Kate, with her head in the clouds.

46868971.jpg

Even though you can't see his face.

The Welder.

34684099.jpg

I don't take many people pics so this is about the best I can do.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Let's keep one thread going. Ya'll will have to pay attention and quote properly, like this:

Nik, I think she's lovely and so's the portrait, but it's not a portrait in context. At the reservation stand, holding a bunch of menus, arm out showing the way, etc. She could be anywhere and anybody.
    8495896-Ti.jpg

Rutt, the dancer's lovely - but where's the context? How about, "at the bar," or "in makeup"? It's not in context. Oh and John - fix that vigging deal.gif
    65399644-Ti.jpg

Can we have a separate comments thread too?
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    Can we have a separate comments thread too?

give an inch rolleyes1.gif
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 8, 2006
    edited May 8, 2006
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    8495896-Ti.jpg
    How do I know she's an usher or that she works in a hotel?

65399644-Ti.jpg
    What andy said!

46295995-Ti.jpg68252463-Ti.jpg
    We need something, (some context) some props, some background to tell us who they are, what the're doing etc...

Davev, excellent stuff, took me a second to see the 2nd one but I guess that fits, the last one is spot on thumb.gif

23145261-Ti.jpg
    This fits, but I'd like to see some iron/gym/muscles in the bg rather than relying on logos

17104700-Ti.jpg
    Again this fits, but I'm left asking, what's he up to?
    edited May 9, 2006
    I'll dig out some more examples later, if that's any help.

here's another great example from andy: Thanks thumb.gif

The Haberdasher
    5766045-L.jpg
    Andy your guy in the bread shop is spot on too!
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I think this works.

67009032-M.jpg
  • Action ShooterAction Shooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    New Guy Entry
    thumb.gif
    edited May 9, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    8495896-Ti.jpg
    How do I know she's an usher or that she works in a hotel?

65399644-Ti.jpg
    What andy said!

46295995-Ti.jpg68252463-Ti.jpg
    We need something, (some context) some props, some background to tell us who they are, what the're doing etc...

Davev, excellent stuff, took me a second to see the 2nd one but I guess that fits, the last one is spot on thumb.gif

23145261-Ti.jpg
    This fits, but I'd like to see some iron/gym/muscles in the bg rather than relying on logos

17104700-Ti.jpg
    Again this fits, but I'm left asking, what's he up to?

OK, I think we're being a little strict here. Somewhere along the line David suggested that Nik have a little fun.... I agree.

here are your "rules" from the Contextual thread:

Ok, so we've done portraits before, so I thought I'd add something extra! I want to see a portrait but I want the photograph to tell me something about the subject other than what they look like. That "something" could be their hobby, career, passion, lifestyle, belief, duty, skill, habit, background etc, etc....
    Oh, and one more rule deal.gif the subject must be HUMAN!

What part of my Ironworkers shot doesn't tell you what they do, regardless of the background? And why does my clown have to be "up to" anything?

You site Andy's haberdasher as a fitting entry? Why? It's a portrait of a man in front of a store window. It's a very good portrait but it tells us nothing about the man but for Andy's original description of the shot. He could otherwise simply be a pedestrian. Now if he had a tape measure hanging 'round his neck...

The only "perfect" entry so far is Andy's dentist!

So let's have some fun here! Soapbox down. :D
    edited May 9, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Somewhere along the line David suggested that Nik have a little fun.... I agree.

Ok, so we've done portraits before, so I thought I'd add something extra! I want to see a portrait but I want the photograph to tell me something about the subject other than what they look like. That "something" could be their hobby, career, passion, lifestyle, belief, duty, skill, habit, background etc, etc....

What part of my Ironworkers shot doesn't tell you what they do, regardless of the background? And why does my clown have to be "up to" anything?

You site Andy's haberdasher as a fitting entry? Why? It's a portrait of a man in front of a store window. It's a very good portrait but it tells us nothing about the man but for Andy's original description of the shot. He could otherwise simply be a pedestrian. Now if he had a tape measure hanging 'round his neck...

I'm all for fun Angelo!
    It's just my opinion, take it or leave it, it's up to you ne_nau.gif
    edited May 9, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    I'm all for fun Angelo!
    It's just my opinion, take it or leave it, it's up to you ne_nau.gif

Of course, I understand you sharing your opinions of the shots, but since you'll be co-judging the "eligible" thread I think your opinions carry more weight and I just wanted to open the door to clarity.

Oh, and I edited the thread. After re-reading it I realized my words were ill-used. I didn't mean to sound so critical of you personally. My apologies.
    edited May 9, 2006
    Yuri's shot:
    the dirty rough hand and nails, the clothes & the rusty metal plate all add context and tell me he is a manual labourer at his workplace. Probably on tea break!

The dentist:
    his white coat and equipment obviously tell you he's a dentist but it's his actions and the fact that the shot taken from the patients perspective that place him at the chair, with a patient, and make this an exceptional shot.

The Haberdasher:
    Fantastic portrait! Well, it works for me. ne_nau.gif
    I believe from the picture that's his shop, to me he just looks like a New York shop keeper so the bg is enough. I accept it may not be the best example but I had the link to hand and wanted to offer some guidance.

As I said, both of your shots "fit" and they're both very good, but, IMO, they need another level of context. I think you need more than clothing or make up to make it a strong contender in a contextual portraits challenge.
    edited May 9, 2006
    At the barre
    OK, I hear Andy's point about the portrait of Lorna, so I rushed right out and shot this one (actually just dug around in my pile of ineligible shots.)

62449045-L.jpg
    Tai Jimenez at the Boston Ballet Studios
    Canon 5D / 70-200mm f/2.8L @ 153mm
    1/400 @ f/3.2
    ISO 1000
    If not now, when?
  • ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Ineligible
    This is a shot from Williamsburg, VA, a few weeks back. I love historical stuff!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    "Grass in your hair!" & "Payback"
    See this thread is working! Since I can't really participate in the challenge, I'll post my try here! :): Well these were taken a few days ago.

This is what happens when siblings get rowdy: :P

"Grass in your hair!"

DSC06547.jpg

"Payback"

DSC06551.jpg

**forgot that my gallery had these photos as hidden :P thats why it wouldnt show up before
    edited May 9, 2006
    Okay other photos were sort of like this, like the first one, the red head lady. I dont understand how this photo is contextual and the other not. is it just because this one came out looking and processed better? I mean, its like theyre both face shots, they both dont tell us what they do for a living, how is this one more contextual than the others? ne_nau.gif
    gubbs wrote:
    I'll dig out some more examples later, if that's any help.

here's another great example from andy: Thanks thumb.gif

The Haberdasher
    5766045-L.jpg
    Andy your guy in the bread shop is spot on too!
    edited May 9, 2006
    exactly what i meant :):
    Angelo wrote:
    OK, I think we're being a little strict here. Somewhere along the line David suggested that Nik have a little fun.... I agree.

edited May 10, 2006
    I decided I need to show one that definitely wasn't ballet!

56060184-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited May 10, 2006
    I think Lindsay's Willimansburg shot is just about perfect. Great composition. Great context. Maybe lighten up the face a touch.
    If not now, when?
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    I'll try this again. Any comments or suggestions.
    edited May 10, 2006
    Davev, those last two, head in the clouds and the welder are to die for. I don't know if the welder is really a portrait. If the head in the clouds shot were eligible and it were up to me, I'd close the contest right now and declare it the winner.
    If not now, when?