Night Shots

2»

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2004
    ta mate...gotta love that f1.8. It was so dark i could hardly see the fox's
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2004
    Seamaiden, I'm wondering if by zooming, the auto white balance decided to change? Nice shots.

greaper, nice shot of the buildings and water. Something's wrong with me - I am compelled to shoot buildings, even when the light's no good and the shots are a waste of time.

2893147-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2004
    Hum, you can reduce some of that chromanoise easily by turning to LAB color mode and giving a gaussian blur to channels A and B without touching the luminance. You can go back to RGB later. Here's an example using half of your pic:
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Seamaiden, I'm wondering if by zooming, the auto white balance decided to change? Nice shots.

greaper, nice shot of the buildings and water. Something's wrong with me - I am compelled to shoot buildings, even when the light's no good and the shots are a waste of time.

Because, architecture speaks to you.

As for the night shots, you must be right about that. This is what I'm getting to like about this stuff, the unexpected results.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 16, 2004
    Here's a shot I took at dusk. I see the noise, but haven't had the noive to mess about with it more than a serious cropping and reduction for posting (here and on my home sites). I'm still researching The Gimp, there are so many tools, but maybe not being at all familiar with any photo-messing proggies is leaving me at a disadvantage. ne_nau.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 16, 2004
    And the previous shot (I have this thing about saving best for last).
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 16, 2004
    sea maiden are these taken on auto ?
    edited March 16, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Hum, you can reduce some of that chromanoise easily by turning to LAB color mode and giving a gaussian blur to channels A and B without touching the luminance. You can go back to RGB later. Here's an example using half of your pic:
    eek7.gif thanks mate....a little too advanced for me...i cant even see what you did.
    edited March 16, 2004
    Semi-auto settings. I'm pretty bad at taking notes, or even remembering to take notes. This is why I can never truly duplicate anything I cook - I look in the cupboard/kitchen/planting area and see what we have. I get what looks good, may or may not use it.
    IIRC, I messed about with the white balance and saturation, and the Oly C-740 has a nighttime auto setting, which I think I used. ne_nau.gif

Btw, I can see the difference in what zero did, on the bottom half of the piccie I can clearly see halftones/dots that are in color (I see magenta and cyan, a wee bit o' yellow). The top half they're removed/manipulated so it appears to be that they're almost all b&w, or at least that the screen size of the dots isn't so large. (Sorry for the terminology, I don't think it matches, but I view it with a paste-up artist's eye/training.)

Oh yes! That first link you gave me is exceedingly helpful. Many thanks to that which is Humungus.. bowdown.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 17, 2004
    Mad curry cooker myself, i should have been an indian...no 2 are ever the same.

Does your camera have BKT (bracket function) on it any where ? This is a function that takes up to 5 photos of the same shot at different settings...its how i am teaching myself...i look at the best shot for that light & try to remember it. If not then over come by sheer volume....take lots of shots at different settings, its free after all.

Now i can also see 00's findings...it was 5.30am when i 1st looked & now its 4.30 pm so things are a little clearer.
    edited March 17, 2004
    'nuther half-hour they'll be blurry again. 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    'nuther half-hour they'll be blurry again. 1drink.gif
    already there mate....thumb.gif
    edited March 17, 2004
    Hic... is it that tea again?
    Sid.
    edited March 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hic... is it that tea again?
    What ? you blokes dont drink tea ?

The ingredients that give kava kava its kick are kawain, dihydrokawain, methysticin, dihydromethysticin, yangonin, and dihydroyangonin.

and quite legal i might add
    edited March 17, 2004
    :yikes

Traditional kava use at frequent high doses causes a reversible dermatological condition known as kava dermopathy (Dentali, 1997). Kava dermopathy is an acquired reversible ichthyosis or scaly skin eruption. It arises after prolonged and excessive kava consumption and appears as a generalized, shiny, scaly skin resembling a cracked porcelain glaze (Norton, 1998). Kava dermopathy is believed to be related to interference with cholesterol metabolism (Ruze, 1990; Dentali, 1997).

Heavy consumption of kava has been reported to lead to adverse health effects in some Australian Aborigines (Cawte, 1986, 1988). Mathews and coworkers (1988) conducted a pilot health survey of 39 kava users and 34 non-users in an Aboriginal community. Twenty respondents were very heavy users of kava (mean consumption 440 g/week), 15 were heavy users (310 g/week) and 4 were occasional users (100 g/week). The study found that in addition to causing acute intoxication, sedation and relaxation, a rash, and weight loss in long-term users, kava may also cause liver and renal dysfunction, hematological abnormalities, and possibly pulmonary hypertension. The conclusion that kava affects the liver was based on the markedly-elevated plasma levels of g -glutamyl transferase observed in kava users. At the time of this study, some Aborigines were consuming levels of kava that were up to 100-times higher than those usually consumed in traditional kava societies (Cawte, 1988).
    Sid.
    edited March 17, 2004
    No worries...just like booze/smokes...everything in moderation. Some native fijians/aboriginals drink the stuff 12 hours a day 7 days a week so there are bound to be a health probs at that rate. There are massive booze probs here with aboriginal communities...they are trying to get them on to kava in one case. You will never see anyone getting violent with kava.
    edited March 17, 2004
    Isn't that interesting? Alcohol is a major problem for the native populations in the lower 48, and Alaska, as well.
    Sid.
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2004
    Night Shots
    http://mainfragger.smugmug.com/gallery/95450/4/3356115
    http://mainfragger.smugmug.com/gallery/95450/4/3356116

These are two different night shots taken from the back lot of a business in an industrial complex at night. To human eyes, the building's back lighting extends to about 10-15 feet off of the back wall of the building.

MainFragger