Smugmug running really slow today??

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    "Photo not found" problem on existing galleries
    Still slow this Tuesday morning and in one of my galleries, one of the images says "Photo not found".

Thats wierd why is that box there headscratch.gif

other than that still taking forever to load images
    I just saw "photo not found" on several of my thumbnails. When the page loaded, 3 thumbnails displayed as an image that said "photo not found". When I opened a gallery and paged through it, an occasionally thumb in the smugmug style would still show as "photo not found". The problem is intermittent. Sometimes when I returned to the same gallery, the thumb that used to show "photo not found", fixes itself. FYI, these are images that were uploaded Friday night, so this is a problem on an existing gallery, not something uploaded during the Monday problem time.

I captured some screen shots of the "photo not found" in my galleries and I've uploaded them so I can link them here, but they are not showing up in my gallery yet (still some upload slowness, I guess).

EDIT: Here are the screen shots:

72357765-M.jpg
    72357822-M.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 30, 2006
    Same problem here
    kc7dji wrote:
    I'm getting some timeout issues and occasional "photo not found" will show up where my image should be. Is there some maintenance going on? It's 8:35 CST on May 30th. Thanks Scott

I'm seeing the same thing this morning and reported it here with screen shots:
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I just saw "photo not found" on several of my thumbnails. When the page loaded, 3 thumbnails displayed as an image that said "photo not found". When I opened a gallery and paged through it, an occasionally thumb in the smugmug style would still show as "photo not found". The problem is intermittent. Sometimes when I returned to the same gallery, the thumb that used to show "photo not found", fixes itself. FYI, these are images that were uploaded Friday night, so this is a problem on an existing gallery, not something uploaded during the Monday problem time.

I captured some screen shots of the "photo not found" in my galleries and I've uploaded them so I can link them here, but they are not showing up in my gallery yet (still some upload slowness, I guess).

EDIT: Here are the screen shots:

Thanks J ohn - you're not alone, but do not fear as we are working to get everything back to normal as quickly as possible.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    I uploaded about 35 pictures last night, 5/29 at around 8 or 9pm PDT. No problems whatsoever.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    I uploaded a whole heap of internet ready (read small c.a. 150kb) files last night and expected them to be there this morning and half of them are missing.

I've also been uploading full size JPGs over the last 4+ hours and so far only 158 have gone up, whic is slower than usual..

Plus all my galleries are in a mess today.. All the orders are screwed up. There is definitely something not quite right..
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Everything is sooooo slowwww. :cry Customer said her computer was locking up but I think she is experiencing the delay.

Any trouble reported with items dropping from the shopping carts? Come on guys/gals this is crunch time (end of season) for me.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • straehlestraehle Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Custom Pro Pricing
    Yesterday and today, I tried to set the Custom Pro Pricing on my latest gallery. Each time I received a message from IE that it couldn't find the requested page and was I typing in the right address. Since I was clicking on a preset address, I knew that couln't be the case. I tried a different gallery with the same effect. Then I received a message "Temporary Service Interruption". Hopefully the pricing will come back when the service does.
    straehle@smugmug.com
    Gallery: http://straehle.smugmug.com
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 17-40 f:/4 L
    Canon EF 24 - 105 f:/4 LIS
    Canon EF 70-200 F:/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 24-70 F:2.8L
    Sigma 80 - 400 f:/4/5.6 OS
    Sigma 105 f:/2.8 macro
    edited May 30, 2006
    How long for temporary service interruption "down page"?
    Both my Smugmug sites report a "down page" that says there's a temporary service interruption at Smugmug.

Any idea how long this will be?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    No, we don't have an idea. Onethumb took it down for repairs, and he hopes to have it done as soon as possible. Both he and Wireless are working to make this as brief an interruption as possible.

Thanks in advance for your patience while we work through it.
  • graphicknightgraphicknight Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2006
    This is what I am not getting (Detroit area).

156545112_57260f4d3a.jpg
  • ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No, we don't have an idea. Onethumb took it down for repairs, and he hopes to have it done as soon as possible. Both he and Wireless are working to make this as brief an interruption as possible.

Dang what timing. I have a client whos looking to pick out there prints.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 30, 2006
    Hard to post when you need an update from us most because we have all hands who can fix the problem fixing the problem.

Hardware malfunctions all the time and usually we're able to adjust without service interruptions, but this one is more difficult. We're doing everything in our power to get things back to normal as quickly as possible.

And we're terribly sorry about the problems it's causing everyone.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I really really REALLY need to deliver some images in an hour.

Please get them whatever they need to be smart and fast.
    (Coffee? Cookies? Compliments?...)

thanks!
    Trish
  • graphicknightgraphicknight Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2006
    Cool. Thanks for the update! Good luck, guys!
    Baldy wrote:
    Hard to post when you need an update from us most because we have all hands who can fix the problem fixing the problem.

Hardware malfunctions all the time and usually we're able to adjust without service interruptions, but this one is more difficult. We're doing everything in our power to get things back to normal as quickly as possible.

And we're terribly sorry about the problems it's causing everyone.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    good job! clap.gif

where do i send the cookies? thumb.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 30, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    good job! clap.gif

where do i send the cookies? thumb.gif
    We're not through it yet. You may have noticed that keywords no longer appear on people's homepages. Our engineers think that a massive number of keyword hits may have been causing the problem, so keywords have been temporarily removed from homepages. Sorry!
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Site is up again, but running awfully slow. Looks like everythings still not up.
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    not so fast I was just working on mine and its down again
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited May 30, 2006
    well I just deleted my cookies and cache in my browser no it seems to be working a little better. hopefully it will be up to full speed soon.

thanks guysclap.gif
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    not so fast I was just working on mine and its down again
    I would recommend that everyone stops further work until the problems are resolved.

I would like SM to put a similar statement on their website as well.

But until then perhaps a sticky "Announcements and General Support Info Thread" thread in this forum would be useful to post official SM information (e.g. only SM staff allowed to post) ...
    or a
    sticky Maintenance thread...

oh wait there are threads but no SM info.... rolleyes1.gif

Best wishes guys I know the "joys" :bash of trying to bring production servers back under pressure and I don't envy you. Remember to document what you did and a have a debriefing after the crisis to prevent it from happening again.

Perhaps its time for redundant hardware AND software AND database AND internet connections to avoid this happening in the future?
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I would recommend that everyone stops further work until the problems are resolved.

I would like SM to put a similar statement on their website as well.

But until then perhaps a sticky "Announcements and General Support Info Thread" thread in this forum would be useful to post official SM information (e.g. only SM staff allowed to post) ...
    or a
    sticky Maintenance thread...

oh wait there are threads but no SM info.... rolleyes1.gif

Best wishes guys I know the "joys" :bash of trying to bring production servers back under pressure and I don't envy you. Remember to document what you did and a have a debriefing after the crisis to prevent it from happening again.

Perhaps its time for redundant hardware AND software AND database AND internet connections to avoid this happening in the future?

We're back in action, I believe. I'm busy making sure we're back, so I'll keep it brief. :)

(BTW, we do have redundant hardware AND software AND database AND networking. This was (and still is, we're working around it manually) a huge bug in our database vendor's software.)

Sorry for the outage ... I can promise you that I've experienced an order of magnitude more anguish over this than you have, though I know that's no consolation.

Don
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    We're back in action, I believe. I'm busy making sure we're back, so I'll keep it brief. :)

(BTW, we do have redundant hardware AND software AND database AND networking. This was (and still is, we're working around it manually) a huge bug in our database vendor's software.)

Sorry for the outage ... I can promise you that I've experienced an order of magnitude more anguish over this than you have, though I know that's no consolation.

Don

I was just chuckling and thought I would share ... we've had redundant hardware, software, database, and networking for awhile. What's most recent for us is redundant humans. :)

Don
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    I was just chuckling and thought I would share ... we've had redundant hardware, software, database, and networking for awhile. What's most recent for us is redundant humans. :)

Hehe, Chuckles.... :):

Nice one, though quite serious at the same time as being amusing...
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    onethumb wrote:

Don

Yeah, those redundant humans are expensive but necessary to keep around. Good thing you guys control the company. Most places remove redundant humans whenever possible.

What DBMS are you running?

-- Mike
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • jcbjcb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2006
    This was (and still is, we're working around it manually) a huge bug in our database vendor's software.)
    I work in support for the largest DB vendor (see my email domain) so please let me know if you are using our stuff. If so, I can get you immediate service ... including preventative steps for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed this weekend.

JCB
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I don't. Isn't it nice we aren't all the samelol3.gif ?
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks, my first laugh of the day. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Things still seem pretty slow to me, though uploading seems to have improved.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • joffunjoffun Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Things still seem pretty slow to me, though uploading seems to have improved.

I am finding the same here - it all seems to work fine, but just very slowly
    edited May 31, 2006
    hmmm my site is running fast like nothing ever happened

no problems here at all
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    hmmm my site is running fast like nothing ever happened

no problems here at all

Response time seems normal. Had one file error on an upload, but it worked OK when I tried again. Looks like stats are not being updated very often, if at all.