Excellent update!

2»

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    I thought I'd be a hero and track this down, but perhaps I misunderstood JT's post. With all the code removed from my CSS section, my buttons look great, just like yours. Add back the code to add some text to the footer of certainly galleries (Boston Ballet requires a disclaimer in return for access and posting), then it looks wrong again. This is only code like:
    /* removes the BalletDisclaimer from all pages */
    #BalletDisclaimer {
    display: none;
    }

/* shows the made-w-mac on a specific page */
    .gallery_1324138 #BalletDisclaimer {
    display: block ;
    }

Is JT saying that ANY code at all disables the new stuff somehow, or that SM just can't track down every problem with customization and the new code?

Andy wrote:
    So, your post proves JT right naughty.gifhttp://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35376

The way it looks, native, is the way it is on my site, http://andydemo.smugmug.com and the -O file I linked above :D

wave.gif How've you been, Rutt?

EDIT: bowdown.gif thanks for showing Teh Bikini shot again clap.gif
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:

Is JT saying that ANY code at all disables the new stuff somehow, or that SM just can't track down every problem with customization and the new code?

Yes and Yes.

You can copy puresmugblack to your customization, and adjust as needed, if you like.
    edited June 3, 2006
    I really don't understand this answer. i understand the SM can't track down every issue. I want to do it myself in this case. So my specific question is this: Is there a something specific in puresmugwhite that detects the existence of custom CSS (explicitly). Is it different than puresmugwhite? Given a few good clues, I can probably figure this out and share my results which might help some others.
    Andy wrote:
    Yes and Yes.

You can copy puresmugblack to your customization, and adjust as needed, if you like.
    If not now, when?
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    ... I was hoping for a fix for the horrible "Make 2nd Copy" bug, but I can still reproduce. Any update on the status of this that you guys can share? Thanks.

Don't know of this bug, I don't think... ?

Don
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I really don't understand this answer. i understand the SM can't track down every issue. I want to do it myself in this case. So my specific question is this: Is there a something specific in puresmugwhite that detects the existence of custom CSS (explicitly). Is it different than puresmugwhite? Given a few good clues, I can probably figure this out and share my results which might help some others.

Just a hunch, but it's possible that puresmugwhite cascades from puresmugblack. Have you tried both together?

Don
    edited June 3, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Don't know of this bug, I don't think... ?

Don

Well, that's frustrating, since I've reported it more than once and have been assured more than once that you did know. Anyway Mike Lane has reported in here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=279863&highlight=copy#post279863

I think this may only happen in some galleries. One of mine where I have consistently been able to reproduce is: http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/1242703
    If not now, when?
    edited June 3, 2006
    Thanks for the clue, Don! Including both in order of white, then black worked. And now I have the hotness and the ballet disclaimers both!
    onethumb wrote:
    Just a hunch, but it's possible that puresmugwhite cascades from puresmugblack. Have you tried both together?

Don
    If not now, when?
    edited June 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Well, that's frustrating, since I've reported it more than once and have been assured more than once that you did know.

It's been in our bugtracker. I (re) forwarded it to Don, Rutt. Stay tuned.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's been in our bugtracker. I (re) forwarded it to Don, Rutt. Stay tuned.

I think Don was just under the impression from the thread title that it was something related to this release.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 3, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    :nah

why is it a lee love in?
    ne_nau.gif not sure what you mean by that...i was just referencing something in the code that i thought you would find amusing.
    Pedal faster
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    new hotness
    Andy wrote:
    add this reference to your head tag section

<link href="/include/css/pureSmugBlack.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" id="pureSmugBlack" />

Okay, I'm not totally understanding this. I tried this code out, and I really like the new look/hotness, but as warned, it did change a couple of things that I won't be able to fix without help. So I just removed the code, no problem there.

But... if I want the new look/hotness, should I start a new thread in customization to help me fix the changes it makes that I don't want? I know this seems like an obvious question, but I'm just not clear if a) the new hotness + customization is supported by smugmug, and b) if the knowledge/resources to combine new hotness + customization are available.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Okay, I'm not totally understanding this. I tried this code out, and I really like the new look/hotness, but as warned, it did change a couple of things that I won't be able to fix without help. So I just removed the code, no problem there.

But... if I want the new look/hotness, should I start a new thread in customization to help me fix the changes it makes that I don't want? I know this seems like an obvious question, but I'm just not clear if a) the new hotness + customization is supported by smugmug, and b) if the knowledge/resources to combine new hotness + customization are available.

I went through this, and I dunno if this'll help, but the code I had to enter to remove things looked like this. These may not be the things you want to remove, but may get you on the right track?
    removed CSS

/*remove some puresmug elements*/
    .boxBottom { 
    background-image: none !important;
     border: none !important;
    }
    #photos { 
    background-image: none !important;
     border: none !important;
    }
    #comment {border-top:4px ridge #D5B790 !important; margin-top:50px; padding:10px; background:#000;}
    .albumNav {border:solid #faebd7 !important; border-width:1px 0 !important;}
    #caption_bottom {border: none !important;}
    .journal_entry {background-image: none !important;}
    .boxTop {border:solid #faebd7 !important; border-width:1px 0 !important;}

Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif not sure what you mean by that...i was just referencing something in the code that i thought you would find amusing.
    :jawdrop
    lol3.gif That is a lot of !important tags. But I don't get it, so we're not allowed to change the look of the buttons anymore or something? Putting that last in the source would (as you certainly know) prevent any changes. ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited June 3, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol3.gif That is a lot of !important tags. But I don't get it, so we're not allowed to change the look of the buttons anymore or something? Putting that last in the source would (as you certainly know) prevent any changes. ne_nau.gif
    yeah...i just made the buttons, JT is the code man. I'm sure they have a plan, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see how they incorporate this with customizations down the road.
    Pedal faster
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    But one question: the keywords page has no customization at all. Web Dev doesn't even show the tab for it. Is that the way it has to be? No banner, no navbar, no nothing.

http://davidrosenthal.smugmug.com/keyword/

Did this get answered here or elsewhere and I missed it? I've looked, honest!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Just want to add my congratulations to the kids who worked hard on the upgrade.

The new look is a huge improvement. thumb.gif

The pages really look splendid, set-off the images very nicely. I really like the gradient.

Nice job, folks, very nice indeed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    DavidTo wrote:
    But one question: the keywords page has no customization at all. Web Dev doesn't even show the tab for it. Is that the way it has to be? No banner, no navbar, no nothing.

http://davidrosenthal.smugmug.com/keyword/
    Thanks for bringing this up again - I completely missed David's post. Reporeted over here in the bugreport section.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I'll add my thanks here (saw a couple of other related htreads too). Very nice updates & the header hack doesn't b0rk up my customizations. thumb.gif All good changes & the gallery customization page is so much nicer (my first "huh? what's going on here? cool!" moment).

I do notice, however that all the pretty buttons go away once you look into a shopping cart. Is this in the works, or am I just being lame? ne_nau.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2006
    I'll add my thanks here (saw a couple of other related htreads too). Very nice updates & the header hack doesn't b0rk up my customizations. thumb.gif All good changes & the gallery customization page is so much nicer (my first "huh? what's going on here? cool!" moment).

I do notice, however that all the pretty buttons go away once you look into a shopping cart. Is this in the works, or am I just being lame? ne_nau.gif

In the works. It turned out to be a massive project just to do the pages we did. So we still have photo tools and the cart to get done, among others.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I am lost on this too - what is so amusing? ne_nau.gif
    bigwebguy wrote:
    edited June 5, 2006
    Actually - it does not prevent you from overriding anything. If you cascade your changes after mine and use !important - then it will work.

I took the easy way out and added !important to almost everything to ensure it worked right. Most of them will be removed (except the extra code that appears when you are using a browser that forces aqua form widgets)
    Mike Lane wrote:
    edited June 5, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    (except the extra code that appears when you are using a browser that forces aqua form widgets)

dirty, dirty safari...

(and camino)

edited June 5, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    dirty, dirty safari...

(and camino)

also ran in to problems with Opera too - so opera will NOT be showing the cool new buttons (I can't find a nice clean way of removing the existing name for the submit button). IE, Safari and FF I used a combo of padding, changing the height, 0px transparent fonts - but Opera does not like any of those. So back to default buttons for them :)

I updated Safari's code so that if you are running the latest version of webkit though, you will see the buttons ;)
    edited June 5, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    also ran in to problems with Opera too - so opera will NOT be showing the cool new buttons (I can't find a nice clean way of removing the existing name for the submit button). IE, Safari and FF I used a combo of padding, changing the height, 0px transparent fonts - but Opera does not like any of those. So back to default buttons for them :)

I updated Safari's code so that if you are running the latest version of webkit though, you will see the buttons ;)

I'm a mac n00b... Got a linky to the webkit?

edited June 5, 2006
    Here is the blog (lots of good stuff coming to Safari - styleable text inputs!!!
    http://webkit.opendarwin.org/blog/

And this program will download and give you the latest build of safari (webkit) each night:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27294

Seriously - I know safari gets a lot of grief, but they support some neat things. Multiple backgrounds for a single class or ID would be totally awesome if IE or FF supported them too.
    Mike Lane wrote:
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    {JT} wrote:

Does this explain why Camino's buttons are blank?

EDIT: In Safari I see the button for add photos, but the other buttons are Safari specials...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 5, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    mike, webkit is the rendering engine for safari/konqueror just like gecko is for firefox/camino
    Pedal faster
    edited June 5, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    It's being addressed, hang in there guys :D