Galleries Keep "unarranging"

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited June 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I keep arranging the galleries (ordering them by position) and the magic happens while I'm gone and they are unarranged...Yes I'm logged in...yes I'm saving...Yes it's set to position...HELP!!!

Comments

• mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I keep arranging the galleries (ordering them by position) and the magic happens while I'm gone and they are unarranged...Yes I'm logged in...yes I'm saving...Yes it's set to position...HELP!!!

I have the same problem with categories on my home page. It is very annoying.

I want my categories to appear in a certain order REGARDLESS of which category has been modified most recently. But everytime I mess with a gallery in one category it "magically" moves....
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I have the same problem with categories on my home page. It is very annoying.

I want my categories to appear in a certain order REGARDLESS of which category has been modified most recently. But everytime I mess with a gallery in one category it "magically" moves....
    Are my cats, sub cats and galleries "magically" rearranging due to me "working/messing" with the settings in them???? Gee I fee l dumb... I think...
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I also similar problems ...
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2006
    I've been seeing a number of similar comments recently. I'm trying to reproduce it myself. Can you give me any more information?

1 - Does it occur while you are arranging or do you arrange and return to find them in different positions?

2 - Which arrange tool are you using? (arrange mode, arrange photos, or arrange photos (expert))

3 - If you are using "arrange mode," which viewing style does this occur in?

4 - Can you describe what occurs? Does a single photo move to a different position or a different page?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    I've been seeing a number of similar comments recently. I'm trying to reproduce it myself. Can you give me any more information?

1 - Does it occur while you are arranging or do you arrange and return to find them in different positions?

2 - Which arrange tool are you using? (arrange mode, arrange photos, or arrange photos (expert))

4 - Can you describe what occurs? Does a single photo move to a different position or a different page?

For myself the biggest and easiest to reproduce problem is the categories on the home page.

I have home page set to category display and manual arrange.

If I add galleries to any other category, that category then takes the #1 position bumping all the others down the line.

Since most of my galleries are by TimeDate or Filename I personally don't notice the problem inside my galleries.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
    edited June 5, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:

I'm using the arrange mode, by position, in the catagory and subcategory pages. I arrange them, come back later and they are unarranged. But not back to the original position. Kinda 1/2 way between where they started and were I put them...
  • SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I'm using the arrange mode, by position, in the catagory and subcategory pages. I arrange them, come back later and they are unarranged. But not back to the original position. Kinda 1/2 way between where they started and were I put them...

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I've encountered this problem for some time now, mainly on my home page. This is what I've discovered. If I add a new gallery from my home page everything stays in apple pie order. If I add a gallery from any other page, my home page arrangement is skewed dramatically and I have to manually reorder the categories. ne_nau.gif
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    edited June 5, 2006
    SunGlo wrote:
    This is my first post so please be gentle.

I've encountered this problem for some time now, mainly on my home page. This is what I've discovered. If I add a new gallery from my home page everything stays in apple pie order. If I add a gallery from any other page, my home page arrangement is skewed dramatically and I have to manually reorder the categories. ne_nau.gif
    I've never encountered this issue in my cat and subcat pages until recently. I've also noticed that we SM'ers are talking amongst our selfs w/o getting anywhere....
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2006
    I've never encountered this issue in my cat and subcat pages until recently. I've also noticed that we SM'ers are talking amongst our selfs w/o getting anywhere....

I assure you, we are grateful for your help and are working to resolve the issue. Thanks!
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Anthony, you do know that Sheaf works for SmugMug, don't you? That's why he has that great big smuggy smile :D

We're all over this, it has high priority. Please be patient.
    edited June 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Anthony, you do know that Sheaf works for SmugMug, don't you? That's why he has that great big smuggy smile :D

We're all over this, it has high priority. Please be patient.

Honestly no I did not....Thanks for the info...
    edited June 5, 2006
    Honestly no I did not....Thanks for the info...

Here are the fifteen of us:

Onethumb
    Baldy
    Toni
    Ben
    Sheaf
    Wireless
    JT
    Andy
    JohnY
    Thando
    Jacob
    AnneM
    GrannyRobin
    Ham1
    Primetime

:D Hope this helps!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Maybe some help, I numbered the galleries 1 thru 20 in one
    sub-cat and came back the next day and it was resorted
    to 1, 3, 5, ..... 19, 2, 4, 6, .... 20. Odd showed first then even.
    Wierd.headscratch.gifhttp://atsmith.smugmug.com/Missouri_Parks
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • xtinaxtina Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2006
    Maybe this will help...

I had the same problem until I found out that there is a site wide gallery order. Basically, you have to go to your homepage, click on display galleries, order your galleries in the way you want them, then click on display categories to get your categories back. This was a reply from SmugMug help when my feature photos kept changing positions:

"There is a site wide gallery order. When you put your galleries into
    sub-categories, it doesn't really change the gallery order. But, when
    you click on the category, you will see the sub-category first and then
    the loose galleries. So, with Travel, "Spain" is a loose gallery and
    "Taj Mahal, Agra, India" is in a sub-category. Because Spain is not in
    a sub-category, it is shown after the sub-categories. But "Spain" is
    still ordered before your India Galleries. Smugmug always uses the
    featured photo for the first gallery in order in a category. To see the
    order, click on "display: galleries" on your homepage at the top right
    of the gallery section. Then click on "(arrange)" on the top left side
    of the gallery section. That will take you to a page where you will
    see all your galleries in their order. If you want, your India photo to
    be featured for the category, you will need to put that in a position
    before Spain. This site wide order, is also why it sometimes changes
    the order of other galleries in different categories."

Hope this helps.
    Tina
    edited June 6, 2006
    Yesterday I was at http://fotosna.smugmug.com and I uploaded a photo.
    It did not go to the right place.
    Then, I went to the gallery tools updated it and everything was correct then.

Let me tell you a tip from whom does not know about computers:
    The program or whatever is not recognizing the new inputs and places them another way. eek7.gif
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Me too. It seems that is re-arranges themselves at random. I just fixed them all up yesterday and one of my galleries has already re-arranged itself. What is going on? Is this a quirk in the new updates? eek7.gif
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    I login today to my smugmug account and again, my galleries seems to have re-arranged themselves again. headscratch.gif What is going on? I didn't change anything in 2 days. ne_nau.gif

SmugMug Gods ... please fix this. Thanks.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • razerrazer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Just to let you guys know i also encoutered this problem the other day. Rearraged some galleries, came back a day or so later and they had moved.
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    I need somone to volunteer their site for me to test arrange to see what happens :)

Let me clarify: I don't need just anyone's site - I can create as many of those as I want ;) I need someone who has had problems with galleries staying arranged.
    razer wrote:
    Just to let you guys know i also encoutered this problem the other day. Rearraged some galleries, came back a day or so later and they had moved.
    edited June 8, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    I need somone to volunteer their site for me to test arrange to see what happens :)
    As I have a few pictures in this site I volunteer.
    Do what you want.
    for the benefit of everyone.
    http://fotosnanet.smugmug.com

edited June 8, 2006
    As I have a few pictures in this site I volunteer.
    Do what you want.
    for the benefit of everyone.

Obrigado, Antonio! bowdown.gif
    edited June 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Obrigado, Antonio! bowdown.gif
    Faça favor.
    Obrigado.
    thumb.gif
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    happens here too
    http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/gallery/catrenumber.mg

I cant rearrange the galleries, they return to their previous position no matter what I do
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited June 8, 2006
    Rearrange the galleries or rearrange the cats? Cause I just checked and i was able to move your events category to position #2
    Simon King wrote:
    http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/gallery/catrenumber.mg

I cant rearrange the galleries, they return to their previous position no matter what I do
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Rearrange the galleries or rearrange the cats? Cause I just checked and i was able to move your events category to position #2

AH that was you was it? Had me baffledrolleyes1.gif

ON the home page

The things that show there - are they cats or galleries - I thought they were galleries but you are probably right that's the categories!

OK so that was what I was tring to re arrange, but wwhen I do it it doesn't work
    Just tried putting 'events' back to its original position and it doesn't change it's still in position #2

(what I was trying to do was #1 Landscapes, #2 Streetscenes, #3 Travel, #4 People, #5 events,#6 art,#7 professional,#8 other)

UPDATE:
    just tried it again and the changed order still won't hold, just reverts to what it was
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    I re-arranged this gallery again last night for maybe the 5th time. I renamed
    all the galleries starting with a number and were arranged 01-02-03-04-05 ...
    20. Now they are again 01-03-05 ... -19, 02-04-06-08 ... -20. Seems like a
    pattern to me. Odd first then even.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/Missouri_Parks

These sub-cats and galleries within each always keep changing. They were
    originally sorted by date decending. OK at the moment, resorted last night.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/Birds

Good luck in figuring this out. Many of my other galleries, including private,
    and sub-cats also re-arrange.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited June 8, 2006
    Feel free to go to
    www.antoniocorreia.com
    and copy the photos you wish to
    if that is of any use...
    Please don't do anything to
    www.antoniocorreia.com.
    thumb.gif
    edited June 8, 2006
    I'm silly.
    It's
    http://fotosna.smugmug.com
    and not as mentioned !!!
    Sorry.
    edited June 8, 2006
    Sounds like you have some other issues going on, what browser are you using? Any javascript errors appearing?
    Simon King wrote:
    AH that was you was it? Had me baffledrolleyes1.gif

ON the home page

The things that show there - are they cats or galleries - I thought they were galleries but you are probably right that's the categories!

OK so that was what I was tring to re arrange, but wwhen I do it it doesn't work
    Just tried putting 'events' back to its original position and it doesn't change it's still in position #2

(what I was trying to do was #1 Landscapes, #2 Streetscenes, #3 Travel, #4 People, #5 events,#6 art,#7 professional,#8 other)

UPDATE:
    just tried it again and the changed order still won't hold, just reverts to what it was
    edited June 8, 2006
    Ok, so I just rearranged them in proper order and saved - all good.

I created a new gallery - it went to the end of the list, perfect.

Addded a photo to it - checked, all still in order.

Added a new photo to another gallery - checked, everything still in order.

Deleted what I added one at a time and rechecked, all still in order.

Not sure what is going on - but if someone could come up with a fail safe way of recreating that would be cool.
    Allen wrote:
    I re-arranged this gallery again last night for maybe the 5th time. I renamed
    all the galleries starting with a number and were arranged 01-02-03-04-05 ...
    20. Now they are again 01-03-05 ... -19, 02-04-06-08 ... -20. Seems like a
    pattern to me. Odd first then even.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/Missouri_Parks

These sub-cats and galleries within each always keep changing. They were
    originally sorted by date decending. OK at the moment, resorted last night.
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/Birds

Good luck in figuring this out. Many of my other galleries, including private,
    and sub-cats also re-arrange.
    Al