Mass "Make 2nd copy" utility

Comments

• brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    liggitt, I tried this tool tonight. Bought it awhile back... it made the 2nd copy. But then moved both copies to the target gallery...ne_nau.gif
  • liggittliggitt Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    liggitt, I tried this tool tonight. Bought it awhile back... it made the 2nd copy. But then moved both copies to the target gallery...ne_nau.gif
    Hey there... sorry to hear it's not working for you. Do you remember if you clicked "Copy images >>" or "Move images >>" in the program? "Copy" makes a copy in the target gallery. "Move" moves the image from the source gallery to the target gallery. If you clicked "Copy", then clicked "Move", then both the original and the copy would show up in the target gallery...

If that doesn't resolve the issue, let me know, and I'll investigate further.

Thanks,
    Jordan
    edited August 27, 2007
    I never hit the move button. I selected my source and target. Then hit copy... the progam made the copy and moved the copy and the original to the target gallery...:cry
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Just stumbled across the thread. I've wanted this tool for a while now, woohoo! clap.gif I'll be giving it a try soon.
    edited August 29, 2007
    liggitt wrote:
    Hey there... sorry to hear it's not working for you. Do you remember if you clicked "Copy images >>" or "Move images >>" in the program? "Copy" makes a copy in the target gallery. "Move" moves the image from the source gallery to the target gallery. If you clicked "Copy", then clicked "Move", then both the original and the copy would show up in the target gallery...

If that doesn't resolve the issue, let me know, and I'll investigate further.

Thanks,
    Jordan
    funny thing is that some of the pics, the 1st 10 or so, were copied and both the original and the copy got moved. The other 100 pics copied but stayed put...(both the copy and the original).
  • ojeffojeff Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Well, thanks to bygates and another friend with a Mac, I now have versions for OS X available for download. If anyone has any problems or issues with these (or the Windows version, for that matter), please reply to this thread and let me know.

http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools

I am really interested in this tool. I have downloaded it and installed the trial version. I have some problems with it. I can list the files of the "source" gallery but when I select the target Gallery the program starts for one or two seconds and then stops with the following message "Could not connect to Smugmug. Please try again, or restart and log in again." I tried several times with different galleries, restarted the program (and even the computer). That didn't help. I hope you can help me because the program seems nice and would be very useful for me.

Jerome
    edited January 12, 2008
    ojeff wrote:
    when I select the target Gallery the program starts for one or two seconds and then stops with the following message "Could not connect to Smugmug. Please try again, or restart and log in again."

This might be related to the issue discussed here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=392141&postcount=18

If updating your version of Java doesn't work, let me know, and I'll see what else I can come up with.
    edited January 13, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    This might be related to the issue discussed here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=392141&postcount=18

If updating your version of Java doesn't work, let me know, and I'll see what else I can come up with.

I AM TOTALLY UNHAPPY WITH THE SOFT ! Seemed to work with the trial version (after I updated Java) and I bought the soft. But after my first copy it is a complete mess in my galleries. The photos have been copied twice both in the source and in the target galleries. Even worst : My first photos have disappeared from my source gallerie. Unbeleivable how a productivity tool can make you lose so much time and assets !
    edited January 13, 2008
    It is even worst than I thought. I LOST MORE THAN 40 PHOTOS FROM MY SOURCE GALLERY.

Jerome
    edited January 13, 2008
    ojeff wrote:
    I AM TOTALLY UNHAPPY WITH THE SOFT ! Seemed to work with the trial version (after I updated Java) and I bought the soft. But after my first copy it is a complete mess in my galleries. The photos have been copied twice both in the source and in the target galleries. Even worst : My first photos have disappeared from my source gallerie. Unbeleivable how a productivity tool can make you lose so much time and assets !

I'm sorry it is not working for you. I am on my way out the door, but I will work on this early afternoon when I get home. Just to make sure, you did click "Copy" rather than "Move", correct?
    edited January 14, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    I'm sorry it is not working for you. I am on my way out the door, but I will work on this early afternoon when I get home. Just to make sure, you did click "Copy" rather than "Move", correct?

Have you gone through this problem ? I confirm that I made a "copy" but anyway if I had done a "move" I should have an empty source gallerie. That is not the case, I have :
    a target gallery with ecah photo twice
    a source gallery with 40 photos missing (out of 120)
    a source gallery with remaining 80 photos twice
    edited January 14, 2008
    ojeff wrote:
    Have you gone through this problem?

I was able to work on this yesterday afternoon. Take a look at the private message I sent you.
    edited February 21, 2008
    Can I ask for one more thing? You've got everything to filter/sort/select on in there, except one thing: keywords.

Just made an update to use a more efficient gallery query. I went ahead and added the keywords field to sort/search/filter on.

Also, you'll need to update if you have any new galleries that use the new SmugMug security features.
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    I emailed you, but, I wanted to post it on here too.. I bought the software in order to make mass 2nd copies of my Little League photos to aid organization. However, there are multiple teams with the same name in different divisions. I organize based on Categories and subcategories to divide into the appropriate Leagues; and there are multiple GALLERIES with the same name (i.e. there are three Padres teams.. One in T-Ball, one in AAA League, and the other in Major League). SmugTools only displays ONE Padres gallery, and it's impossible to know WHICH Padres gallery it's showing as it doesn't show the category/subcategory.

This is a definate bug and needs to be fixed.

Thanks,

David
    edited February 28, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I emailed you, but, I wanted to post it on here too.. I bought the software in order to make mass 2nd copies of my Little League photos to aid organization. However, there are multiple teams with the same name in different divisions. I organize based on Categories and subcategories to divide into the appropriate Leagues; and there are multiple GALLERIES with the same name (i.e. there are three Padres teams.. One in T-Ball, one in AAA League, and the other in Major League). SmugTools only displays ONE Padres gallery, and it's impossible to know WHICH Padres gallery it's showing as it doesn't show the category/subcategory.

This is a definate bug and needs to be fixed.

Thanks,

David

Good catch... I hadn't thought of that... I'll try to get an update out tonight to fix that.
    edited February 29, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Good catch... I hadn't thought of that... I'll try to get an update out tonight to fix that.

An update is online. When the gallery copier first starts, click "Check for updates". The update should download and install itself.

Galleries now are shown as "Category > Subcategory > Gallery name (#gallery number)". The number is there in case you have two identically named and categorized galleries.
    edited February 29, 2008
    Works great! Thanks so much for the VERY FAST fix! :) Well worth the money!
  • FIGHT ONFIGHT ON Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Works great! Thanks so much for the VERY FAST fix! :) Well worth the money!
    Hello. I am new to SmugMug and am trying to use the gallery copier but fail for some reason.
    I have been working with steve and others and they suggested I post here.
    Please help me if you can. I have a Mac notebook. This is one of my emails to SmugMug.
    Thanks again for responding.
    I had cliked the Mac OS X 10.4 upon your first suggestion email. I cliked it again and the same events occur. If you could stick with me for this I am certain I will not bother you folks again. Please allow me to tell you what I do and what happens so I can figure out what I may be doing wrong.
    When I clik the Mac 0S X 10.4 under the "Try it now!" section a small window appears. It is titled " Opening SmugTools Gallery Copier.tar". In the window it states the following. " You have chosen to open Smug Tools Gallery Copier.tar which is a Unix Tape ARchive from http:// www.liggitt.net What should Firefox do with this file?" Below that are three options. "Open with Stuffit Expander (default) , Save to Disk and Do this automatically for files like this from now on."
    And at the bottom of this window is Cancel and OK. Already selected is Open with Stuffit Expander (default). When I clik ok another window appears titled Downloads. In that windowis the Smugmug Tools Gallery Copier.tar with two choices to the right of it, Open and Remove. When I clik Open a new window appears titled Downloads. In that window are files titled SmugTools Gallery from one to five.( because I have tried it five times lol.) What do I do from here or have I gone the wrong way.
    Please help me.
    Thank you.
    edited May 23, 2008
    Save the file to disk (your desktop would probably be the easiest place). Once it is downloaded, you should be able to double-click it to open it and run the copier.
    edited May 23, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Save the file to disk (your desktop would probably be the easiest place). Once it is downloaded, you should be able to double-click it to open it and run the copier.

Thank you liggitt. It appears that I have several of those on my desktop from previous attempts. I am not sure how to continue from here though. I double cliked the SmugTools Gallery Copier.tar thingy which has a zipper on it and it created a folder SmugTools Gallery Copier (2). How do I continue from here?
    Thank you for your help.
    FIGHT ON
    edited May 23, 2008
    FIGHT ON wrote:
    Thank you liggitt. It appears that I have several of those on my desktop from previous attempts. I am not sure how to continue from here though. I double cliked the SmugTools Gallery Copier.tar thingy which has a zipper on it and it created a folder SmugTools Gallery Copier (2). How do I continue from here?
    Thank you for your help.
    FIGHT ON

Go into that folder and double-click on "Gallery Copier" (or "Gallery Copier.app")
    edited May 23, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Go into that folder and double-click on "Gallery Copier" (or "Gallery Copier.app")
    OK! I am making progress. I messed around with it and finally figured out that I had to pay the 10$ first and enter the key and email. I paid. and entered the email address and key and it seemed that I was on my way. Now it asks for my smugmug user name and password. I entered those and keep getting an error window stating invalid user name and password. Tried several times and no dice. What could I be doing wrong? I verified my user name and password by logging out and logging in to smugmug. Thanks again for your help.
    FIGHT ON
    edited May 23, 2008
    FIGHT ON wrote:
    OK! I am making progress. I messed around with it and finally figured out that I had to pay the 10$ first and enter the key and email. I paid. and entered the email address and key and it seemed that I was on my way. Now it asks for my smugmug user name and password. I entered those and keep getting an error window stating invalid user name and password. Tried several times and no dice. What could I be doing wrong? I verified my user name and password by logging out and logging in to smugmug. Thanks again for your help.
    FIGHT ON

Check your private messages
    edited May 23, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Check your private messages
    I am not able to see your private message as a pop up blocker blocked it.
    This is getting crazy.rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 23, 2008
    FIGHT ON wrote:
    I am not able to see your private message as a pop up blocker blocked it.
    This is getting crazy.rolleyes1.gif
    Click here: http://dgrin.com/private.php to check your private messages.

David
    edited May 24, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Click here: http://dgrin.com/private.php to check your private messages.

David

Thanks David.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    I recently needed to make duplicate galleries so I could customize the crop sizes and allowable print sizes for images. I had already tagged and ordered my main galleries exactly the way I wanted them (and with over 600 photos, this took a while). There was no way I could find to preserve those tags and gallery order, other than a manual "Make 2nd copy, move to gallery" process. Being lazy (and a programmer), I decided to write a tool to do this for me.

I've seen enough posts asking about making copies of galleries that I thought I would post this, in case it would be useful to anyone else.

Right now, it is Windows only, but I might consider working on a Mac version if enough people were interested in it.

You can get it here: http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools

Has this thing expired? I consistently get an error when I try it with just two photos, or even one. If I can get it to funx I find the ten buck fee: worth it!

thanks, tom

ps: Windows Xp, Mozilla FF~Latest Java~
    tom wise
    edited November 11, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    Has this thing expired? I consistently get an error when I try it with just two photos, or even one.

hey there... looks like SmugMug just changed the copy function... try updating your version of the copier by clicking "Check for updates" when you first start the program. It should update itself to v1.1.0.200811080359.

If you have version 1.0.X, you will need to download and install the latest version from http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools, then update that to the latest version.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    hey there... looks like SmugMug just changed the copy function... try updating your version of the copier by clicking "Check for updates" when you first start the program. It should update itself to v1.1.0.200811080359.

If you have version 1.0.X, you will need to download and install the latest version from http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools, then update that to the latest version.

Thanks, ever so much! Also thanks for the utility~ I'll give it another try when I get home tonight or tomorrow night~~cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • fieldguidesfieldguides Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2008
    liggitt wrote:

Liggitt - I am having trouble too. Both on a PC and a Mac. I have the newest version, the .....359 version on both machines. It tries to copy and sometimes works actually. But usually it gives me an error message, and when I look at the galleries it has no copied anything to the destination gallery but has made a copy of the photos and deposited them in the source gallery! This has been happening during the last few days, I had no issues with your great software before this! Cheers - Al.