Mass "Make 2nd copy" utility

Comments

• liggittliggitt Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Liggitt - I am having trouble too. Both on a PC and a Mac. I have the newest version, the .....359 version on both machines. It tries to copy and sometimes works actually. But usually it gives me an error message, and when I look at the galleries it has no copied anything to the destination gallery but has made a copy of the photos and deposited them in the source gallery! This has been happening during the last few days, I had no issues with your great software before this! Cheers - Al.

SmugMug changed their site recently, which is what is causing the issue with the Gallery Copier. I'm working on resolving the problem, and will post when I have it working again.
    edited November 17, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    SmugMug changed their site recently, which is what is causing the issue with the Gallery Copier. I'm working on resolving the problem, and will post when I have it working again.
    Well, after a lot of reworking, the Gallery Copier works again. You will need to update your copy to the latest version by clicking "Check for updates" when you first start. It should update itself to version 1.1.0.200811170214. If you have version 1.0.X, you will need to download the latest installer here: http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools

There are a couple new requirements for using the Gallery Copier. First, the source gallery must allow external linking and displaying of original images during the copy operation. Second, source images cannot be marked hidden while the copy operation is occurring.

As a side note, thumbnail zoom settings cannot be duplicated for the copied images, since that information is not made available through the SmugMug API.

The good news is that copy operations run faster than they used to, and should be much more stable in the future.
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    You will need to update your copy to the latest version by clicking "Check for updates" when you first start. It should update itself to version 1.1.0.200811170214. If you have version 1.0.X, you will need to download the latest installer here: http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools
    I went to the link for the updated installer... do I just click "Try it Now"?
    edited November 17, 2008
    I went to the link for the updated installer... do I just click "Try it Now"?

Yes, click on the link for your OS under the Try It Now! header.
  • fieldguidesfieldguides Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Well, after a lot of reworking, the Gallery Copier works again. You will need to update your copy to the latest version by clicking "Check for updates" when you first start. It should update itself to version 1.1.0.200811170214. If you have version 1.0.X, you will need to download the latest installer here: http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools

There are a couple new requirements for using the Gallery Copier. First, the source gallery must allow external linking and displaying of original images during the copy operation. Second, source images cannot be marked hidden while the copy operation is occurring.

As a side note, thumbnail zoom settings cannot be duplicated for the copied images, since that information is not made available through the SmugMug API.

The good news is that copy operations run faster than they used to, and should be much more stable in the future.
    Liggitt,

Thanks for this, it seems to be working well and very fast. Thanks for getting on this so quickly. I am also glad to see that it wasn't my machine, or my connection...essentially that I wasn't going crazy that this weirdness was happening while copying photos last week. Cheers!
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    liggitt wrote:
    Yes, click on the link for your OS under the Try It Now! header.

got it!
  • vicarious1vicarious1 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    ME also error message
    Hello.
    I have a SUPER URGENT gallerie to copy that must be accessed by 300 different artists without delay!

I have purchased today, at the invite of SMUGMUG your software .
    After installing when I wanted to move the gallerie I needed to move I got a message to set gallerie to display originals and allow external linking.
    THAT WAS DONE! I have set my gallerie correctly and had the setting checked by SMUGMUG help staff checked.
    But the message persists!!
    I have cleared the cache in Firefox AND IE (that I only use for mulitple upload to Smugmug.)
    Than I closed both and restarted and still get the same message.

I presume your software is sort of a fixed IP Ftp client so there should be no need to have any Browser running.

So what is my solution ????? NOW not in X days I am in hurry!

As I had it installed on my LAPTOP as my partner was busy working on our PC. Before complaining further I thought I try to reinstall it on my PC and the registration DID NOT WORK.
    Don't tell me that your software is like MS and that I have to buy a different licence for a second PC from the same IP address...
    Really FRUSTRATED to a max!
    Also I feel at least when buying any software when I get the confiramtion
    on expexts an e-mail address or a help button to get a hold of the seller.
    I had to write and wait for reply again to Smugmug to get a link to this Forum.

Regards
    Vicarious
    Liggitt - I am having trouble too. Both on a PC and a Mac. I have the newest version, the .....359 version on both machines. It tries to copy and sometimes works actually. But usually it gives me an error message, and when I look at the galleries it has no copied anything to the destination gallery but has made a copy of the photos and deposited them in the source gallery! This has been happening during the last few days, I had no issues with your great software before this! Cheers - Al.
    Since there is Light there is Beauty.
    edited February 8, 2009
    Hi vicarious1, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly.
    After installing when I wanted to move the gallerie I needed to move I got a message to set gallerie to display originals and allow external linking.

You might need to restart the gallery copier for it to recognize the gallery settings have changed. If that doesn't work, make sure you have these settings in the source gallery (and be sure to click "Save" when changing those settings in your SmugMug control panel):
    External links: Yes
    Largest size: Original
    I presume your software is sort of a fixed IP Ftp client so there should be no need to have any Browser running.

Right, there's no need for a browser to be open.
    Before complaining further I thought I try to reinstall it on my PC and the registration DID NOT WORK. Don't tell me that your software is like MS and that I have to buy a different licence for a second PC from the same IP address...

There's absolutely no restriction like that at all... you must have entered a different email address or copied the license key incorrectly. Double-check the email you got with the registration key.
    Really FRUSTRATED to a max! Also I feel at least when buying any software when I get the confiramtion on expexts an e-mail address or a help button to get a hold of the seller. I had to write and wait for reply again to Smugmug to get a link to this Forum.

Again, I'm sorry you're having these issues. You can reply to this forum thread, or send me a private message, or send an email to the same address you sent the paypal payment to - I check all of those and respond as quickly as I can.
  • SpazzmodicusSpazzmodicus Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2009
    I installed and registered. Had the same problem: something to the effect of "enable show original size" and "enable external linking". Both are easy enough to do in "Customize Gallery". Worked like a charm afterwords on my Macbook Pro and OSX10.5.

You can always customize the duplicated gallery after the transfer if you don't want "external links" or "original Pic size".
  • uglaruglar Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2009
    "An Error Occurred while copying"

waste of $10.
    edited May 6, 2009
    uglar wrote:
    "An Error Occurred while copying"

waste of $10.
    Hi uglar, sorry to see you're having problems with the copier. Errors like that occasionally happen when SmugMug itself is having issues. Looking through the forums here, here, and here, it looks like people have been having a lot of network issues with SmugMug over the last day, especially with third-party uploaders. One suggestion they had was to check your upload log for errors.

Also, can you send me the log file so I can figure out what's going wrong? Just email it to the same address you sent the Paypal registration fee to.

If you're on Windows, it should be located here:
    C:\Program Files\SmugTools\Gallery Copier\workspace\.metadata\.log

Thanks,
    Jordan
  • MarkFreedmanMarkFreedman Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Fantastic utility -- exactly what I needed! I just registered. Thanks!

= Mark
  • oceanboyoceanboy Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Doesn't copy AVIs
    It seems to copy AVIs, but they end up as only the poster frame. Help!
    edited November 19, 2009
    oceanboy wrote:
    It seems to copy AVIs, but they end up as only the poster frame. Help!

Hmmm... the copier hasn't been tested with videos... the API's it calls only copy images that I know of. When it was developed, smugmug didn't have support for videos. Does smugmug support making a second copy of a video in another gallery? If not, then the gallery copier won't be able to either.
  • like-picslike-pics Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    Problem copying files from gallery
    liggitt wrote:
    Hi uglar, sorry to see you're having problems with the copier. Errors like that occasionally happen when SmugMug itself is having issues. Looking through the forums here, here, and here, it looks like people have been having a lot of network issues with SmugMug over the last day, especially with third-party uploaders. One suggestion they had was to check your upload log for errors.

Also, can you send me the log file so I can figure out what's going wrong? Just email it to the same address you sent the Paypal registration fee to.

If you're on Windows, it should be located here:
    C:\Program Files\SmugTools\Gallery Copier\workspace\.metadata\.log

Thanks,
    Jordan
    I just downloaded this today and am using the trial version to make sure it works before buying it. I'm getting the same error as the person above. I originally got the error that I had to change my gallery to allow external links and original size. I did that and refreshed the gallery and that message went away but then I get the error about uploading. I even quit and came back in but still get the error about an error uploading. I notice in the forum in this thread you talk about a log in the Windows version to try to check the error. Can you tell me where the log is on a Mac? Any other suggestions? I could really use this utility and would happily pay you the $10 for it if I can get it to work.
    edited November 27, 2009
    like-pics wrote:
    Can you tell me where the log is on a Mac? Any other suggestions?

I have seen output from the copier app show up in the Console helper application (Applications > Utilities > Console, "All Messages" view). You might check there to see if there are more details about the upload error. I don't actually know where the .log file goes on a Mac, or if it is even generated by the framework the copier uses.

I just ran some tests copying images in my galleries, and am not seeing any systemic issues. If you find more details in the Console, let me know, and I'll try to figure out what's going on.
    edited November 28, 2009
    Error message
    liggitt wrote:
    I have seen output from the copier app show up in the Console helper application (Applications > Utilities > Console, "All Messages" view). You might check there to see if there are more details about the upload error. I don't actually know where the .log file goes on a Mac, or if it is even generated by the framework the copier uses.

I just ran some tests copying images in my galleries, and am not seeing any systemic issues. If you find more details in the Console, let me know, and I'll try to figure out what's going on.

I looked in the console log after I run it and it does write to there. It's really long but it looks like the pertinent information (or at least what appears pertinent to someone who doesn't have a clue) is (with time date stamps and user information removed):

~/SmugTools Gallery Copier Folder/Gallery Copier.app/Contents/MacOS/Gallery Copier[25878] Unrecognized Java VM option ignored: -Xdock:icon=../Resources/stcopier.icns
    ~/SmugTools Gallery Copier Folder/Gallery Copier.app/Contents/MacOS/Gallery Copier[25878] Unrecognized Java VM option ignored: -XstartOnFirstThread
    ReportCrash[25884] Formulating crash report for process aslmanager[25883]
    com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager[25883]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault
    ReportCrash[25884] Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/aslmanager_2009-11-27-220313_XYZ.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0
    ReportCrash[25884] Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/aslmanager_2009-11-27-220313_XYZ.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0
    ~/SmugTools Gallery Copier Folder/Gallery Copier.app/Contents/MacOS/Gallery Copier[25878] CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    ~/SmugTools Gallery Copier Folder/Gallery Copier.app/Contents/MacOS/Gallery Copier[25878] CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] !SESSION 2009-11-27 22:03:14.254
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] eclipse.buildId=unknown
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] java.version=1.5.0_20
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] java.vendor=Apple Inc.
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] Framework arguments: -keyring ~/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws carbon -arch x86 -keyring ~/.eclipse_keyring -consoleLog -showlocation
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] !ENTRY net.liggitt.tools.smugmug.copier 4 0 2009-11-27 22:04:13.621
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] !MESSAGE Error copying 723115322
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] !STACK 0
    [0x0-0x472472].org.eclipse.eclipse[25878] org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException: invalid data (wrong bytes received 2351062, expecting 0)

If you want more information or want the crash logs (which seems to be a misnomer since it didn't actually crash) let me know.

Any help would be really appreciated since a utility like this would be extremely useful to me if I can get it to work.
    edited November 28, 2009
    like-pics: it looks like one of the photos (723115322) is not being copied correctly. Did any copy operations succeed, or was that the first one that was attempted?

The copier works by instructing SmugMug to create a new image in the destination gallery, using the URL of the original image as the source. That means SmugMug is copying the image from their own server to their own server, taking your computer out of the middle, so the operation is not limited by your bandwidth. It also means that when there is an upload error, something is preventing the file from being downloaded successfully.

If you can find that particular image and the URL for the "original" size image, here are some things to check:
    1) Can you download that image by opening a new browser (one that is not logged in to your SmugMug account) and going directly to that URL?
    2) Is the image marked as "private" in SmugMug?
    3) Are there any more details in your SmugMug upload log?
    edited November 28, 2009
    private galleries
    Pl
    liggitt wrote:
    like-pics: it looks like one of the photos (723115322) is not being copied correctly. Did any copy operations succeed, or was that the first one that was attempted?

The copier works by instructing SmugMug to create a new image in the destination gallery, using the URL of the original image as the source. That means SmugMug is copying the image from their own server to their own server, taking your computer out of the middle, so the operation is not limited by your bandwidth. It also means that when there is an upload error, something is preventing the file from being downloaded successfully.

If you can find that particular image and the URL for the "original" size image, here are some things to check:
    1) Can you download that image by opening a new browser (one that is not logged in to your SmugMug account) and going directly to that URL?
    2) Is the image marked as "private" in SmugMug?
    3) Are there any more details in your SmugMug upload log?

I don't think there is a problem in the upload of the original because I can see it when I go into that gallery. It gives me this error no matter which picture or gallery I choose. However , all of my galleries are unlisted and have a password. Does that mean this won't work? I was assuming that since it was asking for my smugmug id and password that wouldn't be an issue since it was doing this as me.

Please let me know whether or not if it will work in this configuration.

Thanks for so much for your help on this.
    edited November 28, 2009
    like-pics: I just set up an unlisted, password protected test gallery, and was able to copy images from it without any issues.

When I turned on the "Hide owner" option in my test gallery, I started seeing errors. Do you have that setting enabled in your gallery? If so, can you turn that option off long enough to do the copy?

It looks like SmugMug is returning the wrong URL for images when this setting is turned on. I'll report the bug to them as well.
    edited November 28, 2009
    like-pics: I figured it out! The problem could either have been due to the "Hide owner" setting on your gallery, or usage of a custom domain name. In either case, I think I found a way to get the correct url for the original image to copy.

I've posted an update for the copier. Restart and click "Check for updates". It should update itself to version 1.1.0.200911282345.

Once that is installed, try again and let me know if it resolved your problem.

Thanks for your patience and feedback.
    edited November 29, 2009
    liggitt wrote:
    like-pics: I figured it out! The problem could either have been due to the "Hide owner" setting on your gallery, or usage of a custom domain name. In either case, I think I found a way to get the correct url for the original image to copy.

I've posted an update for the copier. Restart and click "Check for updates". It should update itself to version 1.1.0.200911282345.

Once that is installed, try again and let me know if it resolved your problem.

Thanks for your patience and feedback.
    Yeah!! My galleries are mostly set as "hide owner" so that is what the problem was. Before I got your message about the update I temporarily changed one of them to not be "hide owner" and it worked.

I also tested the updated version (with my gallery set back to have the hide owner version on) and that worked also. Yeah!!! Thank you so much for being so responsive. You will be seeing my $10 shortly!!

Having said that ... is this the wrong time to ask for a future new feature? ; ) This might be a smugmug thing and not anything you can fix but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. ; ) I have many, many different small galleries. I have them in categories and subcategories. The problem is that in the gallery list in your copy utility it is just one big, long, flat list instead of being hierarchical. It's organized by categories and sub-categories but it is still a flat list. Is there a way to make it cascading ... meaning in the drop down you first only show just a list of the categories (and any uncategorized galleries), then when you select a category, it shows the sub-categories (and any uncategorized galleries under that category), and then under the sub-category it shows the galleries. That way you don't have to scroll through the whole flat list to get to the gallery you want. It's not a huge problem, just something that would make it easier to use but obviously not necessary.

Thanks again for fixing the problem so this utility. It is now very usable for me. This utility is going to save me so much time.
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    What is the link for the latest version of this?

Thanks
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
    edited December 19, 2009
    What is the link for the latest version of this?

Thanks
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

The download is here: http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools/copier/

Once you install it, run the program and click the "Check for updates" button. It will do a small download to get the latest fixes and updates.
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    liggitt wrote:
    The download is here: http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools/copier/

Once you install it, run the program and click the "Check for updates" button. It will do a small download to get the latest fixes and updates.

Thankk you! Can you send me a snail mail address? I don't have any $$ in my PayPal account so will need to mail it.

Thanks!
  • Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    liggitt wrote: »

I just tried your app. I did the 5 image demo and it worked but all of my image filenames show as "unknown".

See here: http://photos.lifesharephoto.com/Events-2011/M5-Celebration/M5-Celebration-Vendor-Gallery/16977212_693TL5

I'm running Win XP currently here at work. I have Vista at home. Any ideas why it did that?
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    I just tried your app. I did the 5 image demo and it worked but all of my image filenames show as "unknown".

See here: http://photos.lifesharephoto.com/Events-2011/M5-Celebration/M5-Celebration-Vendor-Gallery/16977212_693TL5

I'm running Win XP currently here at work. I have Vista at home. Any ideas why it did that?
    Try checking your captions. I bet 'unknown' was put in for the captions for some reason and it's showing those instead of the filenames. You should be able to clear the captions out pretty quickly too. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited May 13, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Try checking your captions. I bet 'unknown' was put in for the captions for some reason and it's showing those instead of the filenames. You should be able to clear the captions out pretty quickly too. thumb.gif

The captions are empty, in both the original and copied galleries for the photos. So that's not it. The unknown is the file name the copies were given. Any other ideas? I direct messaged the developer... no response yet. It's been 2 days. ne_nau.gif Not impressed. Oh well.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2011
    The captions are empty, in both the original and copied galleries for the photos. So that's not it. The unknown is the file name the copies were given. Any other ideas? I direct messaged the developer... no response yet. It's been 2 days. ne_nau.gif Not impressed. Oh well.
    We ran across this in some of the early testing of smugftp as well. It's a pretty easy fix if the developer can get to it. Otherwise, I guess you'll just have to upload twice. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited May 13, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    We ran across this in some of the early testing of smugftp as well. It's a pretty easy fix if the developer can get to it. Otherwise, I guess you'll just have to upload twice. ne_nau.gif

I would so love to ftp my files up to SmugMug. :D Someday hopefully. Thanks for trying to help.