a humble recommendation

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Wildlife
Hi y'all,

I've been shooting wildlife for a while down here in Florida. When I started my pictures for lack of a better term sucked. Here's my first ever egret shot taken with my ole 717 in 2003.

16659868.jpg

Has one photographer blown out more egrets in any single shot? I don't think so.

Well I worked hard and stuck to it and a while later I was getting shots like this.

33559794.jpg

A bit better but its still pretty sucky. Finally in late 2004 I took my money from my 70-200mm fund and instead of getting more equipment I got some knowledge and I took a workshop with Ron Reznick. Here's a shot from that workshop.

37165731.jpg

If you can check out what workshops are available with a pro and I think it will improve your photography more than some new gear.

If you can't afford a workshop I would check out http://www.sureshotsystem.com/

My guru, Ron Reznick has a series of 5 DVDs for around $100 that appear to cover the stuff he covered in his workshop and a bit more. If you click on the image on the bottom left there's a Quicktime trailer for the set.

I'm not sure exactly when the DVD's will be on sale (it should be soon) but I intend to get my order in ASAP.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Excellent advice.

And it sure helps for someone such as you to make a recommendation.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    thanks a lot for your wonderful advice ! Now I'm quite embarrassed that I did buy some new gear recently :uhoh ;
    but seeing your blown out egret picture gives me lots of hope :) , I don't have pictures of as many blown egrets, but replace all of them with snow geese and I've many such :) shiny, white, glistening birds ne_nau.gif ! Already, I think dgrin and smugmug communities has improved me a little, but I'll promptly place my Reznick order :D ! thanks a lot, again !
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif Made me think of the STF days. Someone would surely accuse you of having a ve$ted interest instead of seeing the sincere desire for others to have the same rewarding experience that you had.

I will check this DVD set out.

Thanks, Harry. :D
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Hey Harry !!
    Did you go over to my galleries and borrow a couple of my FZ20 shots, from days gone by :wow :cry rolleyes1.gif :lol4

Excellent advise Boss and one I can attest to.
    I'm on my third reading of book, DVD on order as well.
    I have had the lucky pleasure of shooting with Ron and let me tell ya an hour with this guy and you walk away a better shooter. His teachings can do nothing but improve your phototgraphy!! thumb.gif
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    DVDs

Pretty WHITE lens

DVDs

Pretty WHITE lens

PRETTY WHITE LENS!!!

That was pretty easy. eek7.gif:D

Now the difficult question. Which PRETTY WHITE LENS

300m f/2.8

400mm f/5.6

400mm f/2.8

500mm f/4

Harry....how 'bout floating me a loan? ne_nau.gifumph.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    just curious as to what prompted that...........don't suppose I will know. I hope my response re the terns didn't. I sure pray that it was not about me.

I am a sensitive soul and, well, the babies do look the same this year as last. I have shot them, though, just not as frequently. I mean the egret, heron and whatever babies. i have not posted as many.

On top of all else, the closer tree is gone this year. Also, I have gone other places. As some know my camera is in for repairs right now. I use Bill's when I can.........he has been out of town with it since Monday. I shot Monday to prepare for the dry period. I may have it tomorrow then I will have it Sun and hopefully Monday.

My camera, thanks to some generous souls, beyond the call......etc. My camera is back in the shop and should be fixed and here in 7-10 days. Without those generous people I would not be having a camera. Yes, I can go to the site and read. I will, I like to read.

But this is something I am not sure is addressed as often: conditions are different in different places. No matter how many teachers I have, the conditions here are not going to change. All any of us can do at any level is the best we can with what we have, IMO. No amt of seminars will change what we have. What we do with it.....hopefully. But here in SC, for instance, there is lots of water. And I have yet to hear of a seminar that will teach us to walk on water to reach birds beyond the scope of whatever equipment we happen to own.

In fact I shot ospreys last weekend. Even I can see a photograph that sucked because the reach just wasn't there. The telescope outside of the marina picked them up nice and clear. It was cool watching. But no amt of teaching would have fixed that reach. I still do have the photos in case one is worth it. Only one parent was on the nest. To Bill's complaining surprise we sat and watched those birds, parent and three babies, for at least two hours. (Waiting for the other parent to arrive, or the one there to leave, BIF) Finally, they closed the marina for the evening and we had to leave. Bill was gleeful, I complained all the way to the car.

That reach I had was a 400 w a 1 1/4 Canon extender.

I just hope that was not in response to me............I don't know why, but I just hope it wasn't.

ginger

(just, smile, for instance, we do not have any white pelicans.....once I saw one and I posted it here.) Nor do we have that many egrets, in the open, in any one place that I know of. I have watched you grow from the beginning, Harry. You are a very good photographer of birds, IMO. Better now than then. You have gone to the seminar (s), you have also bought equipment. I assume you did not buy that equipment just to enrich Nikon......or whoever.

I would like to say to anyone who likes what I shoot, some of it, I could teach you, some of it would require the kind of reach I have.

I know my equipment helps me, otherwise I would not have bought it.

Darn, I try so hard, and I shoot in so many different fields (areas: landscapes, people, nature, etc). The last day, Monday, this week with Bill's camera, it was a choice of where to go and what to shoot. I finally decided on Boone Hall plantation because I hadn't shot butterflys for awhile. And frankly, I was too tired to want to walk to the rookery at Magnolia. If I had had my camera, I would have been back there a couple of weeks ago for some baby red winged black birds. Not having any camera, except the Canon Elph (point and shoot), well, I just could not do as well. NOt without a camera.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    just curious as to what prompted that...........don't suppose I will know. I hope my response re the terns didn't. I sure pray that it was not about me.

I am a sensitive soul and, well, the babies do look the same this year as last. I have shot them, though, just not as frequently. I mean the egret, heron and whatever babies. i have not posted as many.

On top of all else, the closer tree is gone this year. Also, I have gone other places. As some know my camera is in for repairs right now. I use Bill's when I can.........he has been out of town with it since Monday. I shot Monday to prepare for the dry period. I may have it tomorrow then I will have it Sun and hopefully Monday.

My camera, thanks to some generous souls, beyond the call......etc. My camera is back in the shop and should be fixed and here in 7-10 days. Without those generous people I would not be having a camera. Yes, I can go to the site and read. I will, I like to read.

But this is something I am not sure is addressed as often: conditions are different in different places. No matter how many teachers I have, the conditions here are not going to change. All any of us can do at any level is the best we can with what we have, IMO. No amt of seminars will change what we have. What we do with it.....hopefully. But here in SC, for instance, there is lots of water. And I have yet to hear of a seminar that will teach us to walk on water to reach birds beyond the scope of whatever equipment we happen to own.

In fact I shot ospreys last weekend. Even I can see a photograph that sucked because the reach just wasn't there. The telescope outside of the marina picked them up nice and clear. It was cool watching. But no amt of teaching would have fixed that reach. I still do have the photos in case one is worth it. Only one parent was on the nest. To Bill's complaining surprise we sat and watched those birds, parent and three babies, for at least two hours. (Waiting for the other parent to arrive, or the one there to leave, BIF) Finally, they closed the marina for the evening and we had to leave. Bill was gleeful, I complained all the way to the car.

That reach I had was a 400 w a 1 1/4 Canon extender.

I just hope that was not in response to me............I don't know why, but I just hope it wasn't.

ginger

(just, smile, for instance, we do not have any white pelicans.....once I saw one and I posted it here.)

Ginger, with all due respect but what the hell are you talking about? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif .

I am merely recommending to folks that they might want to take a workshop or if they would prefer order Ron's DVD set. This recommendation comes from my experience with workshops and with Ron. That's the whole simple story.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 15, 2006
    Harry, it is nice to recommend a DVD and any learning experience is good, IMO. However, I wish they would caption their DVDs. Perhaps I am doing him a disservice in assuming that the DVD is not captioned........I will check that out.

But that is an important consideration.

g
    edited June 15, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Harry, it is nice to recommend a DVD and any learning experience is good, IMO. However, I wish they would caption their DVDs. Perhaps I am doing him a disservice in assuming that the DVD is not captioned........I will check that out.

But that is an important consideration.

g

Ginger,

The first 3 DVD's are captioned "Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3'. The fourth is captioned "Concept Disc" and the 5th "Digital Darkroom" and each has a different picture on it. Volume 1 is an introduction to Ron's system, Volume 2 covers composition and exposure, and Volume 3 covers digital workflow.
    Harry
  • davespicsdavespics Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Thanks Harry...It is good to see that there are options out there. I have been eyeing a couple of classes at Betterphoto.com but for $300-$400 I have wondered how much you can get out of email correspondance. I'll check out the DVD's as an option...

Problem is that this will probably not prevent me from getting the 105 Macro and 12-24 Nikon Lenses I have been drooling over...
    edited June 15, 2006
    vandana wrote:
    thanks a lot for your wonderful advice ! Now I'm quite embarrassed that I did buy some new gear recently :uhoh ;
    but seeing your blown out egret picture gives me lots of hope :) , I don't have pictures of as many blown egrets, but replace all of them with snow geese and I've many such :) shiny, white, glistening birds ne_nau.gif ! Already, I think dgrin and smugmug communities has improved me a little, but I'll promptly place my Reznick order :D ! thanks a lot, again !

Every time I look at the blown out egrets shot I shudder with dismay. Apprantly Ron's site isn't taking orders yet but I'll be checking it daily. I also hope to review it after I get my set.
    Harry
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    It's not always about you...
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar...
    etc...
    etc... mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    .....hopefully. But here in SC, for instance, there is lots of water. And I have yet to hear of a seminar that will teach us to walk on water to reach birds beyond the scope of whatever equipment we happen to own.

Have you thought about taking photos from a kayak, or small boat. I recently shot some photos in the Newport Backbay from my kayak. Although
    I was not happy with the photos I was able to get very close to birds that are usually quite skittish. :):
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
    edited June 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Ginger,

The first 3 DVD's are captioned "Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3'. The fourth is captioned "Concept Disc" and the 5th "Digital Darkroom" and each has a different picture on it. Volume 1 is an introduction to Ron's system, Volume 2 covers composition and exposure, and Volume 3 covers digital workflow.

Harry, I just went to his site and I could not find out. But do you mean that the DVDs are captioned for the hearing impaired?

Sorry about the rant. It was unusual timing.

ginger
    edited June 15, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited June 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Ginger,

Sid.
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Is there a braille version for the visually impaired? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited June 15, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Harry, I just went to his site and I could not find out. But do you mean that the DVDs are captioned for the hearing impaired?

Sorry about the rant. It was unusual timing.

ginger
    Ginger, send them an e-mail. There's an address at the very bottom of their front page, the page Harry linked to.

Or, if your hearing's up to it, give them a call, there's also a telephone number.

And than you for the rant and Harry's misunderstanding of your question, best laugh I've had all day. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    edited June 15, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Made me think of the STF days. Someone would surely accuse you of having a ve$ted interest instead of seeing the sincere desire for others to have the same rewarding experience that you had.

I will check this DVD set out.

Thanks, Harry. :D

That's why I rarely post on STF anymore. rolleyes1.gif

The set is definitely worth checking out.
    Harry
    edited June 15, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    Hey Harry !!
    Did you go over to my galleries and borrow a couple of my FZ20 shots, from days gone by :wow :cry rolleyes1.gif :lol4

Excellent advise Boss and one I can attest to.
    I'm on my third reading of book, DVD on order as well.
    I have had the lucky pleasure of shooting with Ron and let me tell ya an hour with this guy and you walk away a better shooter. His teachings can do nothing but improve your phototgraphy!! thumb.gif

I saw your FZ20 shots an dthey looked pretty good to me. Ron is one of the most knowledgeable photographers I have ever met. He's a joy to shoot with. The man is a walking light meter. He will call out the Kelvin settings and EV adjustments everytime there's a slight change in the light.
    Harry
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Ginger,

I think Ginger meant sub-titled, so she has a better chance of understanding the content.

I've tried to order the DVDs from their web-site. The site is broken (i think). I've tried to e-mail them and the e-mail bounced - non-deliverable.

I just called them and am waiting for a return call.

As you can see, I'm trying to follow-up on your advice. What do you know that I don't? Help?

Thanks
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Now that my eyes have stopped burning from that first shotblbl.gif . Thanks for the info Harry. I have to say the most I have learned was from just being around top notch photographers such as yourself, Mike Mac, and Andreas just to name a few, from Merritt Island. When someone shows you something or explains it in person is a hundred times better than reading every forum entry on the subject. I think I may eventually pick up these DVD's but for the short term I will be signing up for a local Nature Photography Workshop through Calumet Photo (scroll down to near the bottom and they list different events at the store). I think $150 is well worth it, not only to learn something new but to hopefully meet others that share the same passion.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited June 15, 2006
    DVDs

Pretty WHITE lens

DVDs

Pretty WHITE lens

PRETTY WHITE LENS!!!

That was pretty easy. eek7.gif:D

Now the difficult question. Which PRETTY WHITE LENS

300m f/2.8

400mm f/5.6

400mm f/2.8

500mm f/4

Harry....how 'bout floating me a loan? ne_nau.gifumph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Sorry mike no loan. I don't think you could handle the weekly vig. rolleyes1.gif
    Heck man, with the price of those lenses the $100 for the DVD's wouldn't make any difference. Get the DVDs and when you can get the $ for the glass you will be all set to go.
    Harry
    edited June 15, 2006
    davespics wrote:
    Thanks Harry...It is good to see that there are options out there. I have been eyeing a couple of classes at Betterphoto.com but for $300-$400 I have wondered how much you can get out of email correspondance. I'll check out the DVD's as an option...

Problem is that this will probably not prevent me from getting the 105 Macro and 12-24 Nikon Lenses I have been drooling over...

I think there's value to almost all the options. My first choice would be a workshop with a pro. If that couldn't be done I would go for the DVDs. I like having the ability to stop them and repeat sections.

I have my eyes on both of those lenses myself.
    Harry
    edited June 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

11doh.gif :confused
    Harry
    edited June 15, 2006
    I think Ginger meant sub-titled, so she has a better chance of understanding the content.

I've tried to order the DVDs from their web-site. The site is broken (i think). I've tried to e-mail them and the e-mail bounced - non-deliverable.

I just called them and am waiting for a return call.

As you can see, I'm trying to follow-up on your advice. What do you know that I don't? Help?

Thanks

Hey Scott,

I just got this e-mail from them:

"Dear Harry:

The website should be ready to take orders tomorrow afternoon. We are presently running some tests, and intend to run additional tests tomorrow morning and if everything is functional then we will go live.

Once the site is live I will let you know."

Remember they are in California. As soon as I get confirmation I will post it in this thread and PM the folks who expressed an interest in it.
    Harry
  • raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Gotta love that first shot, harry!

I really don't think it's all about the gear anyway. I honestly LOVE to go outside and take pictures. I love hiking and looking for things to shoot with my camera. I get a deep satisfaction from the adventure itself, whether or not I get any great pictures from it.

I'll be the first to admit I am NOT technically minded. But I am artistic and look at photography that way. It is a creative expression that is unique to each of us.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I have posted my feelings about this dvd and Ron's first book .Harry got very tired of me bugging him so he gave me the heads up about Ron [thank you Harry] I took a 3 day class with Ron[the dvd is way less than what I paid] and everything Harry said about him is true .You will not find a better way to spend $100 for this you will get a wealth $$$$ of info and you well get the experience Ron has spent years getting too the point he has gotten or you can just take years of making mistakes and learn on your own :Drolleyes1.gif this will be the best buck for training you ever spent thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    no sub titles --so head set and volume rolleyes1.gif or a picture is worth a 1000 words thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Scott,

I just got this e-mail from them:

"Dear Harry:

The website should be ready to take orders tomorrow afternoon. We are presently running some tests, and intend to run additional tests tomorrow morning and if everything is functional then we will go live.

Once the site is live I will let you know."

Remember they are in California. As soon as I get confirmation I will post it in this thread and PM the folks who expressed an interest in it.
    Thanks for the follow-up. I'll try the site later tonight and see what happens.