a humble recommendation

Comments

• Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Hello all...
    Harryb wrote:
    Remember they are in California. As soon as I get confirmation I will post it in this thread and PM the folks who expressed an interest in it.

It looks like they are taking orders now... :D

Thanks,

Lee
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Hello all...

It looks like they are taking orders now... :D

Thanks,

Lee

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Just placed my order at the introductory price of $69.99
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Just placed my order at the introductory price of $69.99

Ditto thumb.gif

I don't shoot wildlife or landscapes but I'm hoping to learn somthing anyway. :D
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    edited June 16, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Now that my eyes have stopped burning from that first shotblbl.gif . Thanks for the info Harry. I have to say the most I have learned was from just being around top notch photographers such as yourself, Mike Mac, and Andreas just to name a few, from Merritt Island. When someone shows you something or explains it in person is a hundred times better than reading every forum entry on the subject. I think I may eventually pick up these DVD's but for the short term I will be signing up for a local Nature Photography Workshop through Calumet Photo (scroll down to near the bottom and they list different events at the store). I think $150 is well worth it, not only to learn something new but to hopefully meet others that share the same passion.

Hey Nick,

That egret shot should come with a health warning like a pack of cigarettes. :eek1

Many of the shooters at Merritt III had taken Ron's workshop before (i.e -myself, Frank, Mike Mac, Harris). A lot of the knowledge passed on originated with Ron R.

Congrats on signing-up for the workshop. I try to do at least one a year. Dollar for dollar they will improve one's photography more than any other purchase.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 16, 2006
    raian wrote:
    Gotta love that first shot, harry!

I really don't think it's all about the gear anyway. I honestly LOVE to go outside and take pictures. I love hiking and looking for things to shoot with my camera. I get a deep satisfaction from the adventure itself, whether or not I get any great pictures from it.

I'll be the first to admit I am NOT technically minded. But I am artistic and look at photography that way. It is a creative expression that is unique to each of us.

Its never really about the gear, its about the pictures and the satisfaction and enjoyment we get from the process. Some folks have encouraged me to sell some of my pics but every time I look into its a lot like the 'W' word. It would take a lot of the fun out of it for me. I just enjoy taking and processing pictures.

When I took Ron's workshop it was a real turning point because he helped me to get the most out of my limited abilities and it gave me room to grow my skills.
    Harry
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I just ordered my set of DVDs.....with such high recommendations, how could I not??? I'm a visual kind of gal, so I'm hoping to get more out these than all the books I never seem to finish! :D
    edited June 16, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I just order my set of DVDs.....with such high recommendations, how could I not??? I'm a visual kind of gal, so I'm hoping to get more out these than all the books I never seem to finish! :D

clap.gif I think that you will not regret this purchase. Ron's workshop was such an incredible experience. Its impossible to tell you how much I learned from it and his e-book. Ron's section on composition alone was worth the $ I spent for the workshop.

Please let me know how you make out with the DVDs after you get them.
    Harry
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I will let you know my thoughts on them when they get here, Harry. I have been wanting to buy some instructional DVD's but didn't know which ones to get. Having such high recommendations from you makes me feel very good about purchasing them. Nice they had a $20 off deal going right now as well!! Helped to cover the cost of mailing anyway!
    edited June 17, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    I have posted my feelings about this dvd and Ron's first book .Harry got very tired of me bugging him so he gave me the heads up about Ron [thank you Harry] I took a 3 day class with Ron[the dvd is way less than what I paid] and everything Harry said about him is true .You will not find a better way to spend $100 for this you will get a wealth $$$$ of info and you well get the experience Ron has spent years getting too the point he has gotten or you can just take years of making mistakes and learn on your own :Drolleyes1.gif this will be the best buck for training you ever spent thumb.gif

Couldn't have said it better Jeff.

You can see what other folks are saying about Ron and his DVD's on other forums
    here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=18788682

and here
    http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=77324
    Harry
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I will let you know my thoughts on them when they get here, Harry. I have been wanting to buy some instructional DVD's but didn't know which ones to get. Having such high recommendations from you makes me feel very good about purchasing them. Nice they had a $20 off deal going right now as well!! Helped to cover the cost of mailing anyway!
    I called the number on the page the other day. Got a return call yesterday, from Ron, telling me that they were in the process of getting the last script debugged and that the site should be on-line by the middle of the afternoon (yesterday). I finally got around to getting on-line this morning and ordered the discs. I also got the $20 off:):. Just like you, I have lots of books that I never seem to get around to finishing. Sure hope I learn something from these discs!
    edited June 17, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Ditto thumb.gif

I don't shoot wildlife or landscapes but I hoping to learn somthing anyway. :D

Good move. thumb.gif Ron is does not shoot wildlife exclusively and his workshops and DVDs are not geared specifically to wildlife shooting.
    Harry
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    Let me also participating in motivating other photographers to order those DVD's by saying: I order them too! clap.gif

I'm very positive that the DVD's are the support I was looking for to squeeze the max out of my equipment.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
    edited June 19, 2006
    Let me also participating in motivating other photographers to order those DVD's by saying: I order them too! clap.gif

I'm very positive that the DVD's are the support I was looking for to squeeze the max out of my equipment.

Dick.

From what I've seen on other sites there's a lot of interest in these DVDs. I'm glad you were finally able to get yours ordered and I would love to hear from you after you had a chance to view them.
    Harry
    edited June 19, 2006
    Hi Harry,

Do you have any idea of when the first of these will be delivered? I was just wondering on what kind of delivery date is expected?ne_nau.gif

Mine is an international order so I expect it will take longer...

Thanks,

Lee

P.S. Thanks again for the heads up on this one... :)
    edited June 19, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Hi Harry,

Do you have any idea of when the first of these will be delivered? I was just wondering on what kind of delivery date is expected?ne_nau.gif

Mine is an international order so I expect it will take longer...

Thanks,

Lee

P.S. Thanks again for the heads up on this one... :)

My understanding is that shipping will take from one to two weeks. If I hear anything different I will let y'all know.
    Harry
    edited June 19, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    My understanding is that shipping will take from one to two weeks. If I hear anything different I will let y'all know.

Thanks Harry! thumb.gif

Lee
    edited June 20, 2006
    Big disappointment :cry My mailperson delivered a box with DVDs and I got all excited but alas the package contained seasons 6 & 7 of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. Back to waiting.
    Harry
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Big disappointment :cry My mailperson delivered a box with DVDs and I got all excited but alas the package contained seasons 6 & 7 of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. Back to waiting.

OMG!!! :yikes :puke
    edited June 20, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    OMG!!! :yikes :puke

You got a problem with Buffy dude? :rambo
    Harry
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    You got a problem with Buffy dude? :rambo

:harry I thought those were birds. They must be bats! :uhoh
    edited June 20, 2006
    Now I'm in a real quandary, my Reznick DVDs have arrived. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Buffy or Reznick ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif What to do? :confused

I guess Buffy we will have to wait a bit.

Seriously, I just viewed the first 18 minutes of Ron's Concepts DVD and its like being back in his training again. Real good stuff so far.
    Harry
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    ok the DVD's will now start shipping .I live very close to Ron so I drove over and said hand it over1drink.gif he said no umph.gif go away eek7.gif I said this is a gun :uhoh he said come in thumb.gif the hold up on the dvds was --the printer did the color wrong on cover [this did no go over well with Ron] the printer after Ron drove and helped set up the printer did get it right and now shipping has or will start asap .in the little timeI have had to look at it I see the class that I paid many $$$ for this will be a great learning tool as well as reference Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Thanks for the reccomendation. I had seen these on his site a while back and decided to wait until I heard more, so I ordered mine today. I remember read his tips a number of years ago on www.steves-digicams.com and was amazed at his talent.

One question, was the second picture taken with the same camera/lens as the first one?
    edited June 23, 2006
    Initial impressions

My set arrived a couple of days ago and I have viewed the first two discs (Concepts and Disk One). So far I am very impressed. Ron takes you from the shooting basics (composition, exposure, white balance) through shot processing and post processing. His explanation of the histogram is the best I've seen to date. The piece on composition is extremely helpful.

One thing I particularly liked is that Ron will talk about a concept, then demonstrate it on a PC screen and then show footage about the concept in a field setting. Very effective.

A lot of the stuff he covers here he covered in his workshop but now I can see it when I'm fresh and not after I've been running all day shooting. Its great to be able to go back and replay a bit where you haven't grasped what was covered.
    Harry
    edited June 23, 2006
    BTW, Congrats to a certain Dgrinner who earned themselves a credit on the DVD. clap.gif
    Harry
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Ron called me today and I am sorry for posting so late but just got home .As I said before the printing of the cover [dvd box] is to dark and not color matched --well lots of you have been after the shippers --when is it shipping ect ect --so they shipped but a lot of the bad covers.The dvds are great and have no problem [I have mine and it is just like the class only better, as I scratch my head I can just hit rewind ]ok back to the covers no good solution to this so Ron has placed the cover on the web site you can if you chose print it and replace it .i hope this is ok I took mine in a paper bag just to get my hands on it But the cover does not look great --the dvds are.Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Now I'm in a real quandary, my Reznick DVDs have arrived. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I ordered mine the first day so they should be here anytime.

Which carrier do they use for delivery, USPS,UPS,FED-EX etc......
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    thanks for the recommendation!
    My set is ordered and on the way!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 26, 2006
    I just ordered the dvds-

hard to pass up a recommendation made by someone who takes such excellent photos and has shown responsibility and discretion as a moderator here (as they all do--except maybe for the wp patrol) (just kidding, davidto)-

having never gone to a live seminar, this method is definitely one way to learn-

but, I have to say, I have learned tons from everyone here on the forum-

and I also have to mention better photo; their courses are excellent, but, like here, only as good as the effort you put into it-

thanks
    george
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I ordered mine the first day so they should be here anytime.

Which carrier do they use for delivery, USPS,UPS,FED-EX etc......
    I also ordered mine the first day the site was operational. According to the e-mail I got, they are shipping via UPS and should arrive on Wednesday (28 Jun). I can't waitclap.gifclap.gif