Options

Prints and Smugmug branding...

Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've looked and I couldn't find anything on this. I have a personal website on SM (www.naynlou.smugmug.com). I recently ordered a number of prints for family and friends and was suprised to see how heavily Smugmug was marketed on all of the envelopes and packaging.

This concerns me slightly because this year, I will be offering my wedding clients the option of buying prints from my business site : www.steadfastdesigns.com

When they order prints via the web site, I'd rather they received generic packaging as opposed to packaging screaming the Smugmug name. Or preferably my business name on the packaging.

Is there any way to control this part of the process? This would be a great option for Pro account users. Or do I have to explain to my clients that I use a 3rd party vendor for prints (lame) ?

Also, when I submitted my order, the prints were completely jumbled. I added them to my cart in date order but the prints were completely out of order when I received them. What can be doe about this? I certainly don't want my clients to receive a group of scrambled images that they have to sort through.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    If it were me Id have the prints delivered to myself, check them over put in order and repackage in my own branded stuff and post/deliver to customer.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    If it were me Id have the prints delivered to myself, check them over put in order and repackage in my own branded stuff and post/deliver to customer.

In my wedding packages, they do receive prints from me (that I get done thru a lab). And I do a personal handoff. But for family or friends who order, they get the Smugmug branded prints. For a "pro", to me this seems a little cheesy. I wish there was an option in my control panel that says "Set print packing to : Generic or Smugmug."

Yeah I know, this option is probably a pipe dream. But it would certainly be nice Pro account users. Or even better, print the name of your account or web address on the packaging. Or maybe include a print insert with your account info so customers have it.

I can dream can't I??? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    In my wedding packages, they do receive prints from me (that I get done thru a lab). And I do a personal handoff. But for family or friends who order, they get the Smugmug branded prints. For a "pro", to me this seems a little cheesy. I wish there was an option in my control panel that says "Set print packing to : Generic or Smugmug."

Yeah I know, this option is probably a pipe dream. But it would certainly be nice Pro account users. Or even better, print the name of your account or web address on the packaging. Or maybe include a print insert with your account info so customers have it.

I can dream can't I??? rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the suggestions, Lou.
    FWIW, there's no "screaming branding" IMO. Yes, it says smugmug on the envelope and smugmug on the back of the prints. And there's a card in the envelope that says, email help@smugmug.com if they have any problems, questions, or concerns.

We're looking at ways of allowing backprinting which could include your name.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I have been here for about a year now and this seems to come up every now and again. I dont much mind but im sure those selling a ton of prints do. I like the idea of shipping to you then repackaging......though that could get pricey......
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    my two cents
    When I was married two years ago, the photog had the prints sent from White House, or something like that. To be honest, that was the last thing on my mind when they arrived-- I wanted to see what the prints looked like, not who printed them! But... I get where you're coming from.

And just an idea that's worked for me to really impress a client. Have the smugmug prints delivered to you, brand 'em with your own brand, and then hand deliver them with a line like this, "Do these look alright? I strive for quality and want to make sure you're happy." Yeah, it costs you more but I guarantee the customers will love it. And happy customers recommend you to others and also hire you again.

Of course, if the customers aren't in your town, this advice is worthless.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    How about including a pro print with every pro website order?
    Since I've joined pro branding comes up alot but still there's been no way provided to allow this. What bothers me is that customers have absolutly no contact info included in orders other than how to reach smugmug. I'd really like a pro option to include a custom designed print with every single order coming from my website. Photographers could design the print (simalar to a business card in whatever size they wanted), upload and then each and every time something is ordered from that pro photographers website the custom print would be included with the order. (Such as smugmugs postcard goes into every order only included with pro account websites would be the option to also include the pros custom print also along with smugmugs).
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Since I've joined pro branding comes up alot but still there's been no way provided to allow this. What bothers me is that customers have absolutly no contact info included in orders other than how to reach smugmug. I'd really like a pro option to include a custom designed print with every single order coming from my website. Photographers could design the print (simalar to a business card in whatever size they wanted), upload and then each and every time something is ordered from that pro photographers website the custom print would be included with the order. (Such as smugmugs postcard goes into every order only included with pro account websites would be the option to also include the pros custom print also along with smugmugs).

very good idea!
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    I'd really like a pro option to include a custom designed print with every single order coming from my website. Photographers could design the print (simalar to a business card in whatever size they wanted), upload and then each and every time something is ordered from that pro photographers website the custom print would be included with the order. (Such as smugmugs postcard goes into every order only included with pro account websites would be the option to also include the pros custom print also along with smugmugs).

This is a great idea!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Cindy wrote:

I third that. Awesome idea. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Cindy wrote:

Great idea this is a must!!!!
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    Cindy wrote:

Fantastic idea Cindy! Andy and crew, please take note of this. "Pros" really do want these features!
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    by the time i am ready to go pro there should be all these cool features enabled :D:Drolleyes1.gif
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Additional perspective
    To Cindy and others that have replied,

If the person ordering prints is only ordering from your galleries, I think this is a fine idea.

If I place an order that includes prints from each of your galleries will I also receive an identification print from each of you? How will I know which of my ordered prints is associated with each of your business cards?

I'm not trying to discredit your idea. I think think there are at least a couple of different types of customers out there. One type is a customer of a single photographer, another type is a general print buyer and a customer of smugmug in the whole.

Not sure what the answer may be, but backprinting with the photographer's ID in addition to smugmug's service information sounds like a good start.

See you later, gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 19, 2006
    Maybe the gang can chime in and tell us the order of magnatude... How many people buy from one photographer at a time and how many are print buyers?

My prints are segregated in the envelope by size and sometimes by paper type. The printer could easily seperate them by photog.

georges wrote:
    To Cindy and others that have replied,

If the person ordering prints is only ordering from your galleries, I think this is a fine idea.

If I place an order that includes prints from each of your galleries will I also receive an identification print from each of you? How will I know which of my ordered prints is associated with each of your business cards?
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    The printer could easily seperate them by photog.

Not true.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Maybe the gang can chime in and tell us the order of magnatude... How many people buy from one photographer at a time and how many are print buyers?

Not so many ...
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 19, 2006
    Ok, maybe not easily. But it could be done. The backprinting would help even if the photos could not be segregated. That way if taken to Wal-mart for copies, we might have some protection.

Not Many? Of what? headscratch.gif I take it that there are more customers who buy from one photographer. If that is the case then segregating would be only of value to a few.

Either way, something is needed and we know you guys will do what is right. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Not so many ...

Not so many what Andy? (buyers from one site per order or several sites per order).
    Sorry but I'm not a mind reader :D

From what I've gathered reading other photographers posts here at dgrin it seems most sales are generated via events, etc. when the buyer has personal interest in the prints... which if that's true than surely most all orders are generated from single sites??? ne_nau.gif

Unless I'm hugly mistaken I think most pros are customizing their sites to reflect their own branding without external links to other smugmug sites. I would think custom pro prints would serve to enhance the pro customization process.

When looking at my stats the only people who ever leave my site to visit other smugmug sites are those generated from dgrin or those who actually have their own smugmug sites. A few times customers specifically looking for their photos on my site have been directed to other sites via search... but they eventually make it to my site or call me for a link.
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Not so many what Andy? (buyers from one site per order or several sites per order).

From what I've gathered reading other photographers posts here at dgrin it seems most sales are generated via events, etc. when the buyer has personal interest in the prints... which if that's true than surely most all orders are generated from single sites??? ne_nau.gif

Unless I'm hugly mistaken I think most pros are customizing their sites to reflect their own branding without external links to other smugmug sites. I would think custom pro prints would serve to enhance the pro customization process.

When looking at my stats the only people who ever leave my site to visit other smugmug sites are those generated from dgrin or those who actually have their own smugmug sites. A few times customers specifically looking for their photos on my site have been directed to other sites via search... but they eventually make it to my site or call me for a link.

Cindy
    Great Idea!
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    I quoted the part of Doc's message I was referring to. Not so many buy from multiple pros at the same time. But the inverse of "not so many" is gettng larger each day, as we have more and more buyers on the site :D
    not true for all pro sales, no
    I've had the idea of this in my pro feature list, we're listening!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    cool
    Andy wrote:

Keep that list nearby and keep on pushin' this feature, Andy. It would be a nice touch to be able to customize pro print ordering, as many others have pointed out. Thanks for listening (reading?).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    the inverse of "not so many" is gettng larger each day, as we have more and more buyers on the site :D

thumb.gif I would LOVE it if people would just browse by and buy some prints :D that would be super fabulous... but then again most of my photography is geared towards a specific audiance (or just practice and playing around stuff). however... with that said & the ever increasing potential for people to just browse by and buy... I think that's even more reason that something should be included with the orders showing where the prints came from (site specific). If more and more people are buying from muliple users than more and more people need to be able to locate where it was they purchased the prints. Who knows maybe just someday I'll have a print great enough to hang in some really rich dudes house and people will ask him "Wow... where'd you get that print? I'd really like to buy one too" I'd really like it if his answer didn't have to be one such as: "Oh just browsing smugmug I happened across this site and found it... can't recall the web site but I know it's at smugmug somewhere" :uhoh

I wouldn't mind abit if smugmugs card had some info stating something to the effect that 'smugmug is the pro lab/printer and that the photos ordered & enclosed came from one or more photographers websites who've signed on with you to fullfill print orders. Please see any possible enclosed Photographer(s) business cards for contact info, blah, blah, blah. I know this wouldn't be the right way to word it but you get the jest of it I'm sure.

BTW: I'm not saying I don't want backprinting. I still very much want backprinting, etc also... just trying to generate some additional ideas for these needs.

Thanks so much for listening Andy and the entire smugmug crew.
    You'll are the greatest and I know you'll come through. :):
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    I agree that it would be nice if when people buy "fine art" prints from us pros with intent to display, that there would be some way to credit the photographer. That way they can also remember the name of the amazing artist's work who they are displaying!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    MikMik Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2007
    Need branding in the packaging for Pro accounts
    I just received my first order to myself to test what a customer would see.
    The prints are pretty lovely.
    However, though the packaging may not "scream" SmugMug, that is all that it does say. There is no reference what so ever on the packaging or anything internal to it to my site! That is extremely disappointing. And while the back printing has come about since this thread started, quite frankly it isn't much. It was so faint it could hardly be read.

Just because some customers order from multiple sources on SmugMug does not mean it can not be done. Include a print with thumbnails and the "business card" of the Pro from each source. I don't even mind paying for this, but its a gotta have!
    Cindy wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2007
    Mik wrote:
    I just received my first order to myself to test what a customer would see.
    The prints are pretty lovely.
    However, though the packaging may not "scream" SmugMug, that is all that it does say. There is no reference what so ever on the packaging or anything internal to it to my site! That is extremely disappointing. And while the back printing has come about since this thread started, quite frankly it isn't much. It was so faint it could hardly be read.

Just because some customers order from multiple sources on SmugMug does not mean it can not be done. Include a print with thumbnails and the "business card" of the Pro from each source. I don't even mind paying for this, but its a gotta have!
    I love the idea of a Thank You print. Hope we can make it happen deal.gif
  • Options
    KDunlapKDunlap Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Is the Smugmug logo part of the backprinting?
    Andy wrote:

Those of you who have used the printing service since the backprinting has been available- does the backprinting look better now? I heard in another forum somewhere that the smugmug logo appears on the back of the prints as well- is that in fact true or not? If it is true, is there a way to turn that off, or alter it? I have no idea- I've just joined so I haven't been able to test the printing for myself.

Kristi
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    KDunlap wrote:
    Those of you who have used the printing service since the backprinting has been available- does the backprinting look better now? I heard in another forum somewhere that the smugmug logo appears on the back of the prints as well- is that in fact true or not? If it is true, is there a way to turn that off, or alter it? I have no idea- I've just joined so I haven't been able to test the printing for myself.

Kristi
    No there is no logo of ours on the backprinting, no logo on Backprinting at all.

There is a Kodak watermark on the back of the paper.

What forum did you here this on, got a link by any chance?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    KDunlapKDunlap Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    No there is no logo of ours on the backprinting, no logo on Backprinting at all.

There is a Kodak watermark on the back of the paper.

What forum did you here this on, got a link by any chance?
    Thanks!

I saw it here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28405&highlight=backprinting+logo

I realize that's an old forum, but when I did other searches I couldn't find a confirmation that that was either still happening or not happening anymore.

Thanks!
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:

How about a bump for this (year and a half old) idea. :D

I wouldn't even mind eating the $0.19 to get the extra 4x6 included in the package.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    How about a bump for this (year and a half old) idea. :D

I wouldn't even mind eating the $0.19 to get the extra 4x6 included in the package.
    I love it, still. THanks for the bump.