2»

Comments

• kerrykerry Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Amazing IRs very good job
    I also would love to hear to how you processed these

Fred
    thanks, fred! processing steps to follow below...
    edited July 12, 2006
    Beautifull.
    thumb.gif
    thank you, antonio! :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    Gorgeous series iloveyou.gif .
    Unreal clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    thank you for the kind words! :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    clap.gifclap.gif Fantastic loved them
    glad you liked them, awais! :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    way cool clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Love those shots. Now I have to tell my wife I want to mod my D100 to an IR camera. :uhoh
    thanks, harry! hopefully your wife will understand! mwink.gif
    edited July 12, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Those are absolutely incredilble!!!! Nice compositions...I love #2 and #6 is wild! They are all great! clap.gif
    thank you very much! :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Wow, very impressive pictures. My favorites are 1 , 3, and 5.

Okay, I have no idea about IR. Do you convert a camera to do IR and if so is that all it will do? Or do some cameras have it as a function?

Please clue me in.
    thanks! :): i had my rebel XT converted to full-time IR, so that's all it does now (no regrets). some of the sony cams have a nightshot mode that you can use with an infrared filter to do similar things. i've used the F707, F717 & F828 with good results.
    edited July 12, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    i have not like any of the ir shots i have seen until now --wow these are reallly good thumb.gifclap.gif thanks
    thank you very much! i'm glad to hear you liked them. :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Outstanding work!

Nice job.
    thank you very much! :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    These are stunning pictures. I love #1. I know nothing about IR. Are these regular pics that were PP into IR, or were they shot like this with a special lens/setting on the camera? clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
    thank you very much! :): these were taken with a Rebel XT that's been modified to record only IR/near IR wavelengths, then a trick or two in PP to make them pretty. see below for all the info...
    edited July 12, 2006
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!thumb.gif

I'm a HUGE IR fan - I take 'em as much as I can...but I'm still saving up for the Maxmax conversion on my F717...the appliances keep needing attention from that thingy in my back pocket...

Thanks for posting those beauties!

Mike
    thanks, mike! :):
    edited July 12, 2006
    Ok........finally to the good stuff!
    Thanks again to everybody! I hope I didn't miss anyone there, if I did my apologies. thumb.gif Now, on to how these were done...

You should have seen by now that I used a MaxMax converted Rebel XT ( http://www.maxmax.com/aXNiteCanonRebel.htm ). They also do Nikon & others. This is the 2nd conversion I've had from them & they're great. Quality work & very fast shipping.

I usually shoot in P or AV & let the camera figure out the exposure (it's got a brain built for that, so why not!). ISO 100, -1 EV. Always in RAW. After download to the PC, the first steps are in Canon's DPP 2.1.1.4...mainly to add a bit of sharpening, maybe adjust exposure a tad...but that's it. I don't mess with the colors in RAW at all. "Tools>Transfer to Photoshop" in DPP opens a TIFF for editing in Photoshop. Resize for target (these were for the web, so I went with 900x600). Then, run David Burren's PS Action (found at the bottom of this page, after lots of good IR info: http://burren.cx/photo/ir_cameras.html ). The action uses adjustment layers, so the original image is still there under all the adjustment layers as the background layer. I then use Noise Ninja on the background layer to get rid of any weird color noise which shows up after the Auto Levels in the action runs (which NN clears up nicely) and let NN apply a bit of USM. Then flatten the image & make any minor levels adjustments to the final image if necessary.

That's it.

Takes longer to explain that it does to actually go thru the steps & it may sound much more complicated than it actually is. Once you do it a few times, it's no big deal. Hope this answers some questions! 1drink.gif

kerry
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Wow and So Dramatic Too
    kerry wrote:
    Just got back from looking around the Moab, Utah area. Wow is it cool there! Here are a few of my fav IR pics from the trip. Hopefully they're not too big...
    Taken with MaxMax converted Rebel XT + 10-22mm or 24-105mm.

Enjoy!

Hi there Kerry....... gosh you've dont a great job with this lot nod.gif
    I like the colour tones you've applied.

Cause you do realize your not helping those who are trying really hard to resist from getting an IR converstion done to the Cameras rolleyes1.gif

I love this series...... well done clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Thanks for posting your workflow, kerry. thumb.gif Now I'm really tempted to get my sony converted.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 14, 2006
    mouth wide open......
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif man those are amazing .. i don't think words can do those justice...
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I concur that these are great IR shots. Desert scenes do well, don't they!
    However, I notice they're still not immune to a bit of noise probelm, as in the third one.