Options

Oklahoma City

2»

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    [quote=Justiceiro...A good memorial lets a place speak for itself. I think that when you feel what you feel at this place, it is the place speaking, and not the monument. A good monument calls attention to this, and then steps out of the way to let your reflect...[/quote]

I agree with you.
    I have seen the monstruosity and think that it is a very poor ideia indeed.
    Regards.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    I agree with you.
    I have seen the monstruosity and think that it is a very poor ideia indeed.
    Regards.
    thumb.gif

Aint art crazy!

I think thats really nice!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    My sister and brother-in-law live in OK City, having moved there recently. On my last trip we went to the memorial. I'll agree that memorials and art can be very strange objects at times. Sometimes I think artists get too abstract or too fancy or too whatever, as if they are simply showing off how bizarre they can get, rather than focus at the task at hand, but maybe that is the practical engineer in me talking.

I did find the chairs easy symbolism to understand and it struck me rather quickly. These symbolize people who are no longer here, with smaller chairs for children. Chairs that will not be sat in any longer by their owner. Perhaps chairs were a suitable symbol to use, seeing as how the site was an office where people sit and work by day. That is how I saw it, at least. Part of the memorial also uses the foundation of the building, or what is left of it. Parts of the foundation are still standing, their exposed ripped edges showing the trauma of destruction, which is powerful. The reflecting pool and the two anchoring arches I did not understand until I read the plaque however.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Aint art crazy!

I think thats really nice!

It doesn't look too bad in the drawings, but at the actual site there is a huge 2 story dirt mound that all of this will be built upon. Worse than that, it is built at the best spot in the park to view the WTC site. It used to be a quiet, unadorned, and peaceful little campo or flat green. Now you can't see anyhting because this thing is going to be in the way, and instead of an expanse of green before the river, you can watch the skyline only from about 15 feet of sidewalk.

I ma reminded of what Carlos V said when he viewed the catholic nave built within the old Alhambra,

""You have built what you or others might have built anywhere, but you have destroyed something unique in the world.""
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    ... Sometimes I think artists get too abstract or too fancy or too whatever, as if they are simply showing off how bizarre they can get, rather than focus at the task at hand, but maybe that is the practical engineer in me talking.

I did find the chairs easy symbolism to understand and it struck me rather quickly. These symbolize people who are no longer here, with smaller chairs for children. Chairs that will not be sat in any longer by their owner. Perhaps chairs were a suitable symbol to use, seeing as how the site was an office where people sit and work by day. That is how I saw it, at least. Part of the memorial also uses the foundation of the building, or what is left of it. Parts of the foundation are still standing, their exposed ripped edges showing the trauma of destruction, which is powerful. The reflecting pool and the two anchoring arches I did not understand until I read the plaque however.

One of the most plain-speaking, straight-forward, no-inerpetation required and strongest memorial I have seen in the world ... is the Iwo Jima flag rising memorial.

Maybe I am not artistic enough ... but why not have people instead of chairs? Why must we have symbols which require interpetation when the real thing is much more powerful ... for me my heart would beat quicker ... or ... completely stop if I saw bronze children perpetually at play ... frozen in time ... a plaque identifying each person at the base ... instead of chairs.

Look at the Iwo Jima memorial ... it immediately says war, courage, honor, country, duty, Marines, ... four of the six flag raisers died at Iwo, what would that memorial say if there were chairs depicted instead of our honored dead? Okay... that is an extreme example ... but I hope you get my intent ... and for those that died in a terrorist attack in OK City ... they also deserve a memorial, in my opinion, more meaningful than chairs.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 31, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    but maybe that is the practical engineer in me talking.

that is exactily what i wanted to say .. i think this is what the designer had in mind as well.. and the people closest to the tragity Family and suvivors chose this design as there memorial.. not for us to question..
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    and the people closest to the tragity Family and suvivors chose this design as there memorial.. not for us to question..

I am going to have to strenuously disagree with that statement. Public space belongs to the public, and if there are any interest groups that can claim priority in deciding its disposition, it has to be based on an organic community connection, rather than on feelings. I think we are oversesitive about people's feelings in this country.

I'm not sure how "public" the space in OKC is, or how central to public use- but I know the spaces that are the prime bones of contention in NYC are highly public and subject to much public use. The "9/11 families" have frankly gotten out of control; most of them aren't even residents of the lower west side- yet they expect to be defered to by the residents of that neighborhood when decisions are made that critically effect the neighborhood.

Likewise with the LSP memorial in New Jersey. I don't care if someone in Long Island likes the design or not, it's in my "front yard" so I ought to be consulted, if anyone is.

Monuments shouldn't be built by committee regardless, even if the commitee is made up of victims. Art by committee is crap art. Always. that's my problem with this monument. Its hodge-podge. I
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I am going to have to strenuously disagree with that statement. Public space belongs to the public, and if there are any interest groups that can claim priority in deciding its disposition, it has to be based on an organic community connection, rather than on feelings. I think we are oversesitive about people's feelings in this country.

I'm not sure how "public" the space in OKC is, or how central to public use- but I know the spaces that are the prime bones of contention in NYC are highly public and subject to much public use. The "9/11 families" have frankly gotten out of control; most of them aren't even residents of the lower west side- yet they expect to be defered to by the residents of that neighborhood when decisions are made that critically effect the neighborhood.

Likewise with the LSP memorial in New Jersey. I don't care if someone in Long Island likes the design or not, it's in my "front yard" so I ought to be consulted, if anyone is.

Monuments shouldn't be built by committee regardless, even if the commitee is made up of victims. Art by committee is crap art. Always. that's my problem with this monument. Its hodge-podge. I

headscratch.gif :bigbs not evan worth starting...
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    headscratch.gif :bigbs not evan worth starting...

Then you shouldn't have started it.

not for us to question..
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    ... Art by committee is crap art. Always. that's my problem with this monument. Its hodge-podge. I

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I... Public space belongs to the public, and if there are any interest groups that can claim priority in deciding its disposition, it has to be based on an organic community connection, rather than on feelings.
    Monuments shouldn't be built by committee regardless, even if the commitee is made up of victims. Art by committee is crap art...

clap.gifagree. That's what democracy is all about !
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 1, 2006
    wow, after a month's rest this thread has resurfaced and not a word about my photos by the new posters. headscratch.gif

Hi guys. Remember me? My thread; my photos. umph.gif

:D
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    wow, after a month's rest this thread has resurfaced and not a word about my photos by the new posters. headscratch.gif

Hi guys. Remember me? My thread; my photos. umph.gif

:D

Angelo,
    Yes you are right. I' m sorry. :):
    It's the enthusiasm you know !...
    have a nice week end. :):
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2006
    Sorry about the hijacked thread .. it hard not responding to less than accurate info.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2006
    Sorry about the hijacked thread .. it hard not responding to less than accurate info.

Facts are accurate or innacurate. Opinions can only be agreed or disagreed with. What we are discussing is a difference of opinion in regards to the suitability of certaint modes of expression of public art. As we are all engaged in an aesthetic pursuit here (photography), I think its an appropriate forum to have such a discussion in, hopefully without name calling.

Angelo, I think you can count yourself lucky that your photographs have created such responses. It means your photos are speaking to things that people find important.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2006
    I will leave and no longer stir the pot... because my emotions are to involved to discuss art..because i feel most oklahomans much like myself would be offended at someone calling the OKC Memorial site . just a piece of public art...

Angelo you know how i feel about your pix .. i most of the same ones on my site .. offers still there if you get to OK. look me up ...
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    I appreciate the fact that you are emotionally involved, allensphoto. But I would never call a piece of public art, of this type, "just" public art. Public art is, in a real sense, the highest expression of a culture and expresses its deepest concerns, goals and emotional losses.

I'm emotionally involved in public art issues as well, such as the 9/11 memorial in Liberty State Park near my home. That's why I think its important that its porperly done.