Chal 70: Blk and white?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 30, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
84157463-L.jpg

Three photos, all taken yesterday 7/25/2006

Hey, you all, I swear to it, good gosh!

ginger

I made it up in color, was/is fine, I made this one, and I made it in a reddish duotone, but then I was looking at them in smugmug, and I thought the blk and white didn't look bad, and then I realized that "blk and white" were by definition, almost words that implied contrast.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Hi Ginger! Interesting take on the challenge. I, too, wondered about black and white as it was the very first thing that entered my mind. Yours is not only black and white, but shows contrast of light skin and dark skin, and more importantly, the difference in their expressions. I'm sure there are probably even more contrasts if I study it longer....I'll take another look! I like it alot!
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    hehe, this reminds me of the PSP advert which sony had to remove :)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 26, 2006
    I love the photo(s), but for (what's a butt for) the "contrast" challenge it's almost too cliche. I was waiting for this pic from the get go, though perhaps that's what people want.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    truth wrote:
    I love the photo(s), but for (what's a butt for) the "contrast" challenge it's almost too cliche. I was waiting for this pic from the get go, though perhaps that's what people want.

That is true it is a cliche, but I like all the different contrasts. The black and white, and the other black and white, the expressions, the genders, one is a boy which is a bit less apparent.

I just happened to take the photos yesterday. The one of the black girl is such a strong photo, without it, I would not have played...........but I knew I had taken the picture of the other little girl (she has red hair and freckles), totally different expressions...............so I just started playing, and I added the boy, for another contrast.

I have some others today. Since weather, rain and sun was mentioned, I went out and got it. Then I got the tide in and out..........that led to a boat high and dry and the same boat floating.

I did not do this on purpose, I mean I don't use models, I don't use pro lighting. I am a nature/bird/candid people portrait photographer type. If it is there I catch a landscape. I just kind of fell into this, because I happened to be there (I wanted some tomatoes for a sandwich, smile. I carry my camera everywhere).

But I am tired, and I still have to upload. I got some bird photos, too.

Whatever...............any advice is great, and thanks for all your comments.

ginger
    edited July 26, 2006
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great composite beautifully shot and executed and outside the confines of the contest i'd have nothing but praise for the image.
  • TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    This is really interesting. It certainly will get viewers thinking and looking for the "issues" brought out by this piece of art. I like it, the three portraits are sharp, full of energy and nicely done.

As for this challenge, there also are lots of contrasting items in the photo. One of the fun things about these dgrin challenges is that the theme can be (and usually is) interpreted very differently by most of us.

In terms of C&C, I think that the boy's eyelashes are appearing on the black girl's face (look at the bridge of her nose). Is there a way to blend them without this?
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    I like it, Ginger. It's beautifully composed and composited. Enter it!
    Chris
    edited July 27, 2006
    I shot this tonight, I was there a long time...................from when the afternoon storm started. At the time I left, the tide had come in, and this boat was floating. I hope to put a floating shot together with this shot tomorrow. It is 2 AM, and I also hope to eat something.......no dinner. I wonder how Andy does all that eating, plus all of his shooting during the "sweet light", smile.
    I might try something to remove the eye lashes, I might, might not, depending on the direction I go. I have an idea how I might do it, but I would have to do the whole photo over again, and it would be different.

With this, I hope to just put two photos together in one frame or something. I don't think it would work, in this case to do the collage. I like the photo a lot. Funny, I never know what I am going to find. I think that there is no point in going out and shoot 600 photos, get maybe 5 to 10. Could get more if I wanted to work them up. But I never expected this.

Low Tide After A Storm:

84261476-L.jpg
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    It's a nice image Ginger and I think it works for the challenge. I agree with the previous comment regarding the boy's eyelashes. I think you should be able to erase those in the layering. thumb.gif

Erich
    edited July 27, 2006
    Like this?
    84270237-L.jpg

7/26/2006

I think this is the best one to enter. Someone else can do a good variation on the blk/white theme, but I think I lucked out on the stranded boat. Am going to go eat something.

g
    edited July 27, 2006
    Love the boats Ginger. Great stuff. I actually feel the low tide boat alone presents contrast quite strongly in a more subtle way then the b / w which to me is the 50lb sledgehammer. Not sure subtle works here though so take it with a grain of salt.
  • JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    The boat at high tide is a great photo and brings back memories and dreams. But, I don't think it adds anything significant to the low tide photo. I believe the low tide photo works, for me, by itself. But I'm a boater and can see the contrast in the earth bound boat.

Now, that said, I prefer the photo of the children over either of the boat photos.

It is a powerful image with a multitude of layers to it. From the "sledgehammer" effect of the B&W to the subtle differences in the eyes, body language, and so much more.

I look for images that draw me in and give me more to ponder. This one does an excellent job of doing that. You have taken a cliche and made it a multilayered masterpiece.

Thank You
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
    edited July 27, 2006
    oh, me, oh my!

well, two weeks, or a bit less to perfect the blk white. Too tired today. Would like to go back and shoot. Missed skimmers, missed and osprey. Just would like to go out, but my eyes feel like all the dirt I was sitting in is in my eyes.

I love the boat shot, just love it!

But the blk/white, well, the blk one is a great shot, for me...........oh, me, oh my!

But those eyelashes, and the thought of starting over............I follow Kirby in those collages, and I have to redo and redo. I agree, it is right after adding a shot, I should be able to delete eyelashes or other problems.

ginger

(I don't know that, or would chance, that the one at low tide would stand alone as contrast.)

I have a weather shot to work up for fun. But will wait til I am awake.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    I love the photo of the children, Ginger. The picture of the young girl in the foreground is just wonderful. I respond to it emotionally. I think that compositionally it is a better piece of art that the boat pictures - which are, of course, lovely.

Glad to see you back with the challenges. I think I will stay out a bit longer myself.

Virginia

Email
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Ginger great shots. The multilayer shot is great but for me I prefer the boat in a stand alone shot.

This may start another small riot here on smugmug (if so I'll make a new thread) but here is why I think so:

Though your multilayer image is very powerfull and will inspire conversation and thought- to me, it is now digital art and no longer a photograph. Digital images/art are prevelant on this site but to me the challenge should be about capturing the challenge theme in one shot and not creating it.

I am not taking anything away from the image, in fact I love it. This is just my personal views in seperating photography from art just like I seperate film from digital.

I may get ridiculed for this for being fairly new and not a professional but as an artist I keep each art in its perspective place.

Love them both but prefer the boat.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited July 27, 2006
    Aaron plus others who like the low tide boat shot, alone. How does it show contrast standing alone?

Everything that was suggested had the "opposite" incorporated.

Please, convince me. I love that shot.

I do see the merits in the blk/white shot. I don't need to be convinced there, but I do need to understand how the "low tide" shot can stand on its own.

I have a weather shot, in the same vein, to work up.................just for fun. Did half of it for the daily photo. But not right now.

Anyway, if anyone gets a chance, those who think the one boat shot should stand alone, please tell me why and how.

Also, just my thoughts on photography vs art. I don't have a problem with photography crossing the line. I still think it is photography. But that is just my opinion, those who feel differently, they will feel differently, and I will feel as I do, and that is not relevant here (whether we agree, I mean. It is which is the better entry). And if people are turned off because of the collage fact, well, that is one argument re not entering the shot.

ginger
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Low Tide After A Storm:

84261476-L.jpg[/quote]

Ginger here is what I like as far as this picture and "contrast".

Contrast of a boat without water

Contrast of color and detail of the boat vs blandness of setting and background

The picture makes me ask, where is this? Where are the people? Why is this the only boat? The boat looks like it is capable of sailing yet looks as though it was dropped at a dried up lake. You would epect to see more water in the background with other boats still foating or a town or village- yet there isn't.

This of course is my preference of the two. However, I believe if you want to win the challenge the collage is the better bet. I would vote for this, but I believe the masses will vote for the collage.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited July 27, 2006
    thanks, aaron!

ginger (maybe I could hang the boat in here, it has a surreal quality to me. I took it, because many people are posting "single" tree shots, this reminded me at the time of the "single" tree. It doesn't now.)

It just seems surreal, for all the reasons you mentioned. Strange, this is a city harbor! And as you mentioned................. there is nobody. It was low tide, and we had just had a big storm.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Ginger, the shot of the boat in low tide is bee-u-tiful. I say print it and frame it.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    edited July 27, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Ginger, the shot of the boat in low tide is bee-u-tiful. I say print it and frame it.

That is one problem: IMO, if I were to win, and we all know I won't........someone will come along with something wonderful..........or lots of folks will, but, .....if I were to win, the boat shot looks more "professional" or more "winners gallery", IMO. And that includes even the one with two photos. The black and white one is cool, I will work on it, just probably not today. And I can see then how I think it looks.

But the boat shot, I could see it in a magazine easy!

ginger
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    IMO they are all great shots/concepts.

i think the two boat pics work best together, except they are too different in dimension since i guess you shot one in portrait and one in landscape.

also, if you tweaked out those boat shops, i think they could really stand out even more. they tell a great story all around, i just feel they could use more pop - starting with levels.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
    edited July 27, 2006
    84426874-L.jpg

84426875-L.jpg
    edited July 28, 2006
    84447114-L.jpg

Charleston Harbor, SC
    edited July 28, 2006
    athos wrote:
    IMO they are all great shots/concepts.

i think the two boat pics work best together, except they are too different in dimension since i guess you shot one in portrait and one in landscape.

also, if you tweaked out those boat shops, i think they could really stand out even more. they tell a great story all around, i just feel they could use more pop - starting with levels.

What do you mean by "boat shops"? I used levels on the photo, gave it a lot of pop. There is no accounting for that photo, I have an idea how I did it, but it makes no sense...................not when I look at the other photos at the same time. There was some water there, it was just low, and the boat was close to a sand bar.

I did use a filter, a gradient filter, but that is not the whole story, as I have tried to recreat the effect on other shots...................no go. Only that one. I have two others from the same angle, one of the boat on the left, one on the right, and I don't remember the third. Probably I could work them up the same, but only those...........it was the angle. Surreal!

I don't think I shot the other photos from the same angle, and I can't go back and reshoot, I am sure the boat was taken off at high tide. I think the one that is vertical, the sunset, I think it was shot in horizontal. I have been too busy to look. I had to use it, as the verticals were not shot right with the sunset, but none of them have the same proportions. I tried to make sure that the height of the water was the same.

I also redid the black and white ones.

But what do you mean by removing the "boat shops"?

ginger, thanks for commenting.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Aaron plus others who like the low tide boat shot, alone. How does it show contrast standing alone?

Everything that was suggested had the "opposite" incorporated.

Please, convince me. I love that shot.

ginger

Ginger, I also see a contrast in the very flat horizontal line of the horizon and the tall vertical line of the mast. We usually think of boats as being water vessels, floating at sea or in a river, but here we see it earthbound. I think the photo can stand by itself, if that is your question. I'm afraid I like them all, the children, the two boats and now this boat by itself.!!! Big help I am, huh? The image of the children is really, really powerful. I think it would stand a good chance of winning the challenge. The boat is more to my liking, and I imagine yours. It is a very saleable print one might find in a gallery. They are both very good. Go with your heart!
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What do you mean by "boat shops"? I used levels on the photo, gave it a lot of pop. There is no accounting for that photo, I have an idea how I did it, but it makes no sense...................not when I look at the other photos at the same time. There was some water there, it was just low, and the boat was close to a sand bar.

I did use a filter, a gradient filter, but that is not the whole story, as I have tried to recreat the effect on other shots...................no go. Only that one. I have two others from the same angle, one of the boat on the left, one on the right, and I don't remember the third. Probably I could work them up the same, but only those...........it was the angle. Surreal!

I don't think I shot the other photos from the same angle, and I can't go back and reshoot, I am sure the boat was taken off at high tide. I think the one that is vertical, the sunset, I think it was shot in horizontal. I have been too busy to look. I had to use it, as the verticals were not shot right with the sunset, but none of them have the same proportions. I tried to make sure that the height of the water was the same.

I also redid the black and white ones.

But what do you mean by removing the "boat shops"?

ginger, thanks for commenting.

that was a typo, i meant 'shots' :D

in my opinion they were great, i just felt they could use some more processing, they felt a touch flat. but that is just my taste. no accounting for taste :)
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Ginger,
    I want to sugest you post the pictures and EXIF with each of them, you composed the photo herewith.
    Likewise (can I say such a word here, hope so) everybody could see you are telling the truth and your photo could not be put away.
    OK ?
    Regards.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Ginger!

I love the boat on dry land. To me, that just says exactly what this challenge should say - no extra explanation is necassary. Plus, the drama of the composition makes it all that much stronger.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
    edited July 28, 2006
    Ginger,
    I want to sugest you post the pictures and EXIF with each of them, you composed the photo herewith.
    Likewise (can I say such a word here, hope so) everybody could see you are telling the truth and your photo could not be put away.
    OK ?
    Regards.
    thumb.gif

Annoyed big time!!!!

read the rules.

you don't know me and I don't know you,

but I am not insulting you!

I feel insulted!

ginger
    edited July 28, 2006
    Please you all, on the boat photo, which one do you like better?

84543951-L.jpg

84543947-L.jpg

There was a suggestion that the boats might need more pop. So, the top boat is the original two boat photos together, and the bottom photo is the
    "popped" version.

I would appreciate the feedback on that.

ginger