The Digital Download Thread (Tips, Questions)

AndyAndy BicameralNew YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
edited January 23, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
SmugMug Help - Sell Digital Downloads

Product Description Page

View the licenses here

Ask any questions here!

Gotcha: you can't order your own digital download, when logged in. (You own the file, we'll not charge you for it )... so to see it in the shopping cart, you must be LOGGED OUT or better yet, have two browsers, we LOVE Firefox free at www.mozilla.com

Info: Metadata (© info, IPTC Caption, Description, etc) will reamin intact on your files.

IPTC Data update... here are the fields that, if filled in by YOU, will remain intact in your files:
Description Data: Document title, author, author title, description, description writer, keywords, copyright notice.
(Missing: copyright info URL, copyright status)

IPTC Contact: Creator, Creator's Job Title
(missing: Address, City, State, Postal Code, Country, Phones, Emails, Website)

IPTC Content: Headline, Description, Keywords, Description Writer
(missing: IPTC Subject Code)

IPTC Image: Date Created, City, State, Country
(missing: Intellectual Genres, IPTC Scene, Location, ISO Country Code)

IPTC Status: Title, Job Identifier, Instructions, Provider, Source, Copyright Notice
(missing: Rights Usage Terms)
«134567

Comments

  • videooppvideoopp Big grins Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Great stuff!

    Is it possible to customize the licensing info?
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    Great stuff!

    Is it possible to customize the licensing info?
    At the moment, no.
    What specifics to you have in mind? ear.gif
  • videooppvideoopp Big grins Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    At the moment, no.
    What specifics to you have in mind? ear.gif

    Well, I have a lot of international images from developing countries, that because no model releases were obtained, would not be suitable for commercial advertising purposes, but would have many uses for educational, editorial, and illistrative purposes.

    I just tried it and nothing changed in the shopping cart. Is that something where I have to be logged out to see?
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    Well, I have a lot of international images from developing countries, that because no model releases were obtained, would not be suitable for commercial advertising purposes, but would have many uses for educational, editorial, and illistrative purposes.

    I just tried it and nothing changed in the shopping cart. Is that something where I have to be logged out to see?

    yes, you must be logged out - we can't be charging you for your own digital download now, can we? lol3.gif
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    Well, I have a lot of international images from developing countries, that because no model releases were obtained, would not be suitable for commercial advertising purposes, but would have many uses for educational, editorial, and illistrative purposes.

    The personal license, with additional language in your gallery description, specifically allowing editorial use? We'll consider an editorial use license, too. Thanks.
  • TristanPTristanP Major grins Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    What are the exact pixel dimensions of the 1 and 4 MP downloads?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

    Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • pecheneypecheney Big grins Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    SmugMug | Digital Downloads
    Holy COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    We now have digital downloads??????? When did this happen? This is amazing...

    I am pumped. I get bothered so much about this that it is starting to hurt me in business. I was getting asked by friends and associates EVERY day "can i get this photo?" I was saying yes, yes, and lately NO, cause it took SO long o unlock a gallery, tell them how to download it and then relock the gallery. Other option was to go into a stack of 500 cds and dvds, find the correct event's media, load it onto my machine, email it to the client/friend, and then delete them again... amazing. I am soooooooooo excited... just folks bugging about MySpace photos alone... goiod grief. SmugMug is my hero again and again. If SmugMug was a chick I would propose. Seriously.

    One issue I MIGHT foresee, but will live with is the fact that I charge $25-300 per jpeg depending on usage and image. I would like to be able to mark all images on my smugmug site (which is 104,700 images!) at a certain digital download price. And then be able to go in and mark others individually. Reson being is that I am selling soem images ALSO as fine art. If i sell a fine art photo for $500, and then digital download is set for $100, then I can ripped. BUT if I could set that one image to $400 for a DD then i would fee better. Big companies DO pay good $$ for simple JPEGS. The ease of use and UI taht SM just created is DEFINITELY going to help my business. I am blasting an email letting the world know!!!!!!!

    Thanks, SmugMug!

    PEC
  • onethumbonethumb SmugMug CEO & Chief Geek Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    pecheney wrote:
    One issue I MIGHT foresee, but will live with is the fact that I charge $25-300 per jpeg depending on usage and image. I would like to be able to mark all images on my smugmug site (which is 104,700 images!) at a certain digital download price. And then be able to go in and mark others individually. Reson being is that I am selling soem images ALSO as fine art. If i sell a fine art photo for $500, and then digital download is set for $100, then I can ripped. BUT if I could set that one image to $400 for a DD then i would fee better. Big companies DO pay good $$ for simple JPEGS. The ease of use and UI taht SM just created is DEFINITELY going to help my business. I am blasting an email letting the world know!!!!!!!

    If I'm understanding you correctly, you can already do this. Just set Portfolio pricing to $300 and then go set gallery and/or image pricing separately to any price you like.

    We'll choose whichever is most specific.

    Don
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae SmugMug BizDev|Educator Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Once again, thanks so much for this feature.

    Any hints or guidelines to what realistic prices might be??? Especially wrt commercial use of originals?

    cheers

    ann
  • xtnomadxtnomad Stick Your Neck Out Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    DD Pricing ?
    Love the new features, just have to learn the set up. I went in to pro pricing and set the DD price. In the help section it said we could set prices for all DD. After setting the prices I logged off and checked them in the shopping cart and I only see two prices, 1- low-res. 1- orig. . does the orignal take place of the Hi-Res. ? ne_nau.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    Love the new features, just have to learn the set up. I went in to pro pricing and set the DD price. In the help section it said we could set prices for all DD. After setting the prices I logged off and checked them in the shopping cart and I only see two prices, 1- low-res. 1- orig. . does the orignal take place of the Hi-Res. ? ne_nau.gif
    Photo and gallery link, please? ear.gif
  • xtnomadxtnomad Stick Your Neck Out Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    http://www.rtm-ltd.smugmug.com/gallery/1649565

    Not just one photo or gallery but all photos and gallerys. Thank you.
    xtnomad :wink
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    http://www.rtm-ltd.smugmug.com/gallery/1649565

    Not just one photo or gallery but all photos and gallerys. Thank you.

    This file: http://www.rtm-ltd.smugmug.com/gallery/1649565/1/80842463/Large is 3.8megapixels. So, it's not large enough to be a 4Mpix high res file. So, you are getting the 1Mpix screen (low res) and then an Original size file (3.8megapixels). If you upload files that are larger than 4Megapixels in dimension, you'll get three sizes: 1Mpix, 4Mpix, and Original. Make sense?
  • xtnomadxtnomad Stick Your Neck Out Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    That makes sence. I can stop pulling my hair out! I am ready to go! Thank You. Rod.:uhoh
    xtnomad :wink
  • dbddbd Fool on the hill Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Previewing downsizing sharpening
    Is the some way we can view examples of the 1 MPix and 4 MPix files created for downloading from originals?

    When the printer resizes to match printer characteristics we have to trust that an appropriate amout of sharpening will be performed by the printer after resizing. When SM evaluated printers you effectively evaluated this with test prints.

    How can pro users evaluate the processing of the reduced size download files without logging out and paying for a download?

    Dale B. Dalrymple
    dbdimages.smugmug.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • videooppvideoopp Big grins Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Thanks so much for the download option! There is just one thing that I think may be a little confusing, and that is the two different license agreements, personal and commercial, being only represented by a "P" and a "C". I guess that we can all post a note of explanation somewhere on our site that explains this, but for the casual visiter, I wish that this was a little clearer somehow.

    But, I have to say, I'm loving it!clap.gif Way to go Smugmug!
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    What are the exact pixel dimensions of the 1 and 4 MP downloads?
    Well, we'll keep the aspect ratio of your original file. So I can't give you exact dimensions. The 1000x1000 could be one example. 4000x1000 could be another. K?
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    dbd wrote:
    Is the some way we can view examples of the 1 MPix and 4 MPix files created for downloading from originals?

    When the printer resizes to match printer characteristics we have to trust that an appropriate amout of sharpening will be performed by the printer after resizing. When SM evaluated printers you effectively evaluated this with test prints.

    How can pro users evaluate the processing of the reduced size download files without logging out and paying for a download?

    Dale B. Dalrymple
    dbdimages.smugmug.com

    It's a great question. To tell the truth, I don't know the recipe at all (if there even is one!). I'll bring it up with Don today. But maybe this example will help. These are 100% crops from the different resolutions. Remember, Originals wouldn't be touched at all, no matter what. This original file of mine has not been sharpened at all.

    EDIT: We are not compressing the 1Mpix or 4Mpix files at all. As to sharpening - same recipe as our display images:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

    Here's what the original file looks like:
    84905089-L-0.jpg

    Here's a crop from the Original (so it's untouched):

    85091740-L-0.jpg

    Here's a crop from the 4Mpix Hi Res Download
    85091724-L-0.jpg

    Here's a crop from the 1Mpix Screen Download
    85091731-L-0.jpg
  • johnojohno Seek first the Kingdom... Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Thanks Smugmug... thumb.gif

    peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa



    Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L



    blog
    johno's gallery
  • BodleyBodley Full Contact Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Any way we can name the Low-Res downloads something less demeaning? Maybe STD-Res or Basic-Res?
    Yeah I know, gripe-gripe-gripe. You couldn't please some people if you were handing out gold bars.

    Do love the enhancements. thumb.gif EM - Who needs ya baby mwink.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Any way we can name the Low-Res downloads something less demeaning? Maybe STD-Res or Basic-Res?
    Yeah I know, gripe-gripe-gripe. You couldn't please some people if you were handing out gold bars.

    Do love the enhancements. thumb.gif EM - Who needs ya baby mwink.gif
    For now, Bod, you can make up your own promo page and put it on your site, and call them what you like. We'll consider your request, though - after this thing gets baked for a while :D
  • wetsandswetsands Big grins Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    I also would like to know the image size ( in pixels... ie 600x400) that the "1 MP" low rez and the "4 MP" high rez files refer to.

    I guess what i really what to know is ...if a client wants a 600 x 400 digital file for a web site what would be the best way to prepare it high rez vs low rez.

    If the client isn't sure about the size what would be the best way for them to decide and then purchase it (240 vs 400 vs 600 pixel length)... as I usually sharpen for output what would be the best way to prepare the file in the previously mentioned scenerio?
  • DnaDna Evil Baby Grinner Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    For 3:2 ratio (DLSRs)
    1Mp : 1350 x 800
    4Mp : 2475 x 1650
    (using 1Mp as 1,000,000 pixels)

    For 4:3 ratio (P&S)
    1Mp : 1200 x 900
    4Mp : 2320 x 1740
    (using 1Mp as 1,000,000 pixels)

    Your mileage may vary ...

    Dna
  • wetsandswetsands Big grins Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    so my client wants 600 x 400 sized images for the web. I want to provide the finished web images at that size and available for digital purchase and download. How can I do that on the pro digital download service???
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 SmugMug Support Hero Registered Users Posts: 4,555 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    wetsands wrote:
    so my client wants 600 x 400 sized images for the web. I want to provide the finished web images at that size and available for digital purchase and download. How can I do that on the pro digital download service???
    As you currently can't choose your own size for offering digital downloads the only possibility is to resize the picture to the desired size you want to offer and then upload e.g. the 600 x 400 image. Now you can set a price for the original picture and the client should get it in your desired size when buying the original.

    Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • wetsandswetsands Big grins Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    sooo... my client bought 12 different images for various size prints..so I have a gallery w/ full size files (d2x) (available for print sales)....

    I guess then I would have to make a second gallery w/ the 600 x 400 size of the same images then for web ?
    thanks btw sebastian!
  • JeffroJeffro I'd rather be shooting... Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    wetsands wrote:
    sooo... my client bought 12 different images for various size prints..so I have a gallery w/ full size files (d2x) (available for print sales)....

    I guess then I would have to make a second gallery w/ the 600 x 400 size of the same images then for web ?
    thanks btw sebastian!

    Not really, you could just offer the digital downloads on request, at which time you would resize the photo, or photo's requested to the size you want to offer. No extra work until there is a sale, or at least one requested. I have thought about the same thing, but haven't quite decided if I want to offer digital downloads, but I am leaning that way. If I do it, I will probably offer a resized one with my logo on the lower left of it. I am tinkering with a digital download gallery with a sampe image, and the instructions on how one can order digital downloads. It's not going to be "instant gratification" but I'm not quite sure I understand the 1mpx or 4mpx options yet, can't really wrap my mind around it yet.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • wetsandswetsands Big grins Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    ^but how would you "offer" the the client the ability to purchase and download a web file. I don't want to sell them a "1 MP" image for the web for several reasons..
    1. the file is still large enough to make descent prints from
    2. I don't want them to screw up on the downsizing of the image to their desired size (ie from the 1mp 1350 x 800 to a 600 x 400) and have it look like crap..after all that will end up reflecting on me (plus i want them to be " a happy customer"..

    I hope the Folks here at the mug read this and begin offering web download options as well!!

    Anyway, I did set up 2 additional galleries with web images (400 x 266 & 600 x 400) but I can't get it to work..
    I zero'ed out all of the price slots except for the digital download slot but so far have been unable to get it to work... so Andy (or any other admin is out there HELP!).
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    wetsands wrote:
    so Andy (or any other admin is out there HELP!).
    Leave me gallery links here and I'll be on it in the morning first thing.

    Thanks!
  • wetsandswetsands Big grins Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2006
Sign In or Register to comment.