Options

The Digital Download Thread (Tips, Questions)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    It appears that the 50c isn't just a minimum price for DD images; it's a "minimum to Smugmug" price. Setting the prices to 50c each gives all 50c to Smugmug instead of the normal split. Is that correct?
  • Options
    SegfaultSegfault Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    It appears that the 50c isn't just a minimum price for DD images; it's a "minimum to Smugmug" price. Setting the prices to 50c each gives all 50c to Smugmug instead of the normal split. Is that correct?

Correct. With the new pricing scheme you will make more money selling a 4x6 for $4.99 than you will a DD for $4.99.

The reason indicated in another thread was that the cost of processing an order was such that SM needed to get at least $0.50 out of it just to break even. Fair enough,. But making it part of the price list change and not accounting for multiple DD's per order leaves a bit of a bad feeling since the entire thing was not communicated very well (hence questions like "is this a minimum but we still get 85% or a unit cost and we only make cash on the amount over $0.50").

And then there is the lack of an attempt to explain how processing an order with two DD's in it now cost 2x as much, and one with three 3x as much (they already get the 15% to cover the additional transaction fees, etc). With physical prints we understand, but downloads?
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Blah. This totally screws up the way we were using DDs for a non-profit on Smugmug. Now I have to figure out a new way.

And we still don't have proof delay on DDs.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Make an event. Let them heart their faves. The price a download gallery in the hearted (client fave) gallery.
    Can't do that with unlisted galleries. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Can't do that with unlisted galleries. ne_nau.gif
    Events don't have to be public. You can unlist or password protect an event all the same. For additional information on the event marketing feature, take a look here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/83125-market-events---and-allow-your-customers-to-mark-their-favorites

If you have further questions on events, I'd suggest you email us on the HelpDesk.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Hmmm...things have changed since I looked at the events feature when it was introduced a few years ago. Time to go study up on it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    I see how this can be done using events. Boy, things have changed with that feature! I think there's a couple of way I may be able to use it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2012
    I've searched the thread, but didn't see anything on this. Is it possible for the customer to crop images similar to print sales?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    I've searched the thread, but didn't see anything on this. Is it possible for the customer to crop images similar to print sales?

Trivial to find out just by pricing a photo for a download, logging out or using a 2nd browser, and trying it - but the answer is no, there's no cropping Samir.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Trivial to find out just by pricing a photo for a download, logging out or using a 2nd browser, and trying it - but the answer is no, there's no cropping Samir.
    I thought about that after I posted, and then the phone rang before I could even try it. rolleyes1.gif But thank you for the answer Andy. thumb.gif