Raindrop flower refractions

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited September 3, 2006 in Holy Macro
Some shots of flowers through raindrops on grass blades. The flower was placed about 2cms behind the drops so the OOF background is the flower itself- the shots are focus stacked.
Brian V.

Click on pics for larger size

225447796_41d5f5fa5d.jpg

Mini panorama

225447805_d4541dff08.jpg

225456262_600994571e.jpg

225456263_2d25010dcc.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    You know, Brian, every time I look at your stuff I get the feeling that I just ought to sell my photgraphy gear and spend more time playing guitar. rolleyes1.gif

Great work, as usual. I prefer the first two for their simplicity. clap.gifclap

Regards,
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Some shots of flowers through raindrops on grass blades. The flower was placed about 2cms behind the drops so the OOF background is the flower itself- the shots are focus stacked.
    Brian V.

Click on pics for larger size
    Mini panorama

Just when I thought you could amaze me no more Brian :wow
    Fantastic clap.gif Brilliant clap.gif gosh those are Amazing Brian :D
    Love the reflections in all of them ...... thanks for sharing your amazing Macro Photography with us ..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    i am amazed and wordless as usual
    wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    No Joke
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    You know, Brian, every time I look at your stuff I get the feeling that I just ought to sell my photgraphy gear and spend more time playing guitar. rolleyes1.gif

Great work, as usual. I prefer the first two for their simplicity. clap.gifclap

Regards,

I think I'll go sit at the piano for a spell. Magnificent work. What talent. Thanks...makes me try harder thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    OMG - that is so f'ing cool!

incredible, great work!

Adrienne
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Absolutely beautiful! Commercial quality. The first one is delicious, great idea, wonderful execution, love the colors. bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    amazing
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 27, 2006
    :jawdrop:wowclap.gifclap

I can't even begin to come up with the right words!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Thanks for the compliments all , very much appreciated :):):)
    Nice thing about these is once you get the hang of them they are very easy to do but you do need to be shooting around 2:1 magnification. If you get the placement of the flower behind the drops correct often you don't even need to focus stack.
    Still trying to figure out a way of getting a fish inside one of the drops :)

Brian V.
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    the 1st two are perfect!

the others get a bit busy. the first ones are sublime in their simplicity.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
    edited August 28, 2006
    athos wrote:
    the 1st two are perfect!

the others get a bit busy. the first ones are sublime in their simplicity.
    Thanks Athos :)
    I tend to agree about the last two shots but took them more to show how the shot had been setup, but many people on Flickr seemed to like them more than the simple shots ne_nau.gif
    Brian V.
  • DeadlockDeadlock Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Fantastic work
    The first couple are beautiful in their simplicity with the latter showing how complex it can become.
    Fascinating.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Excellent work as always! What equipment do you use? I have never done any macro work although I would love to get into it. Sigma has plans on bringing out the APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM lens in OLY 4/3 mount. I was considering buying it when it comes out. I might end up getting their 105mm F2.8 instead and save $200, any thoughts on these lenses?
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    eek7.gif Wow those are amazing-- very well done! I could look at them forever!
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Thanks Athos :)
    I tend to agree about the last two shots but took them more to show how the shot had been setup, but many people on Flickr seemed to like them more than the simple shots ne_nau.gif
    Brian V.

:D

ahh that makes plenty of sense. and it definitely explains the method in a very beautiful way.

im gonna have to give it a shot now. iloveyou.gif
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Really amazing and beautiful
    edited August 28, 2006
    douglas wrote:
    Excellent work as always! What equipment do you use? I have never done any macro work although I would love to get into it. Sigma has plans on bringing out the APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM lens in OLY 4/3 mount. I was considering buying it when it comes out. I might end up getting their 105mm F2.8 instead and save $200, any thoughts on these lenses?

WRT lenses- I'd actually go for the 105mm EX and get a set of Kenko ext tubes as well. I think the longer macro lenses are actually harder to use than those around 100mm and you won't notice any difference optically- all the macro lenses by the major manufacturers are extremely sharp.
    I was actually using an MPE-65 (the king of macro lenses) but you really need to start off with the lens type you suggest to get used to macrophotography. THe MPE-65 cannot be used for anything other than macro- minimum magnifiction is 1:1 (max focus distance is 4") and it goes up to 5:1 with no additions.
    For drop pics like the above you need really to be working around 1.5:1 to 2:1 minimum which you would be able to achieve with a full set of ext tubes on a 105mm EX.
    Brian V.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    WRT lenses- I'd actually go for the 105mm EX and get a set of Kenko ext tubes as well. I think the longer macro lenses are actually harder to use than those around 100mm and you won't notice any difference optically- all the macro lenses by the major manufacturers are extremely sharp.
    I was actually using an MPE-65 (the king of macro lenses) but you really need to start off with the lens type you suggest to get used to macrophotography. THe MPE-65 cannot be used for anything other than macro- minimum magnifiction is 1:1 (max focus distance is 4") and it goes up to 5:1 with no additions.
    For drop pics like the above you need really to be working around 1.5:1 to 2:1 minimum which you would be able to achieve with a full set of ext tubes on a 105mm EX.
    Brian V.

Good to know, thank you!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    thumb.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited August 29, 2006
    Still trying to figure out a way of getting a fish inside one of the drops :)

Brian V.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited August 29, 2006
    T
    I was actually using an MPE-65 (the king of macro lenses)

Here's a very interesting write-up on using the Canon MPE-65 macro lens.
    Sid.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    WOW!!! Brian just keeps raising that bar for the rest of the forum every week!!!! Fantastic shots, Brian! thumb.gif
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I can't add much to what has been said but just wowy zowy!clap.gifclapiloveyou.gif Especially the first one.
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
    edited August 30, 2006
    Thanks again for the comments all :):)
    wxwax- think my MPE-65 shots are better than the ones in that article- the lighting is particularly nasty mwink.gif
    Brian V.
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Great images.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I'm envious!
    I have yet to figure out how to get an image in a drop -- I liked all the photos, especially seeing the large flower and the tiny reflection. I need to experiment some!
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I'm speechless. First class photography. clap.gif
    edited August 31, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I have yet to figure out how to get an image in a drop -- I liked all the photos, especially seeing the large flower and the tiny reflection. I need to experiment some!
    You do need to be taking shots at high magnification- around 2:1 with the flower only about 1" behind the drop- the drop just acts as a wide angle lens.
    Brian V.
    edited August 31, 2006
    boogie wrote:
    I'm speechless. First class photography. clap.gif
    Thanks boogie- these really are very easy to do once you get the hang of them :)
    Brian V.