Uploading Problem

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited October 2, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a jpg file measuring 3600 pixels x 1320 pixels (total 4.75 megapixels) at 240 dpi saved in sRGB colorspace. I am able to upload the file to my smugmug account, but the log shows "File had errors and could not be processed." I have tried this several times. This error message does not give me any ideas or clues as to why it could not be processed. :dunno

What do I need to do to get the file to be processed by smugmug? Have I made some critical error in sizing, colorspace, etc.?

Thanks,
David
http://darphotos.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    RogersDA wrote:
    I have a jpg file measuring 3600 pixels x 1320 pixels (total 4.75 megapixels) at 240 dpi saved in sRGB colorspace. I am able to upload the file to my smugmug account, but the log shows "File had errors and could not be processed." I have tried this several times. This error message does not give me any ideas or clues as to why it could not be processed. ne_nau.gif

What do I need to do to get the file to be processed by smugmug? Have I made some critical error in sizing, colorspace, etc.?

Thanks,
    David
    http://darphotos.smugmug.com
    Hi David,

If it is a jpg, and falls within the limits (48 megapixels in file size, and 16megabytes), it should upload just fine. Are you certain of the dimensions, megabytes, and file type?

Andy
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Here is the file properties data. It is 2.456 Mb, too.
    edited September 3, 2006
    RogersDA wrote:
    Here is the file properties data. It is 2.456 Mb, too.
    Shouldn't be a problem. Now, what uploader are you using, what browser, version? Are you able to successfully upload other files? ear.gif
    edited September 3, 2006
    --->It now appears that I can't upload to that one gallery. i just tried with some different files and they, too, have the same error. No other gallery appears to have this problem.<---

-->I can move it to the correct gallery, too.<--

-> Update to below....I can upload to a different gallery<-
    Now, what uploader are you using
    Universal Drag & Drop. I browse for the image and select "upload". As an aside - the preview window in the browse screen does show a thumbnail of the image.
    What browser, version
    FireFox 1.5.0.6
    Are you able to successfully upload other files?
    Yes.

I have also tried resizing the problem image in PS2 before saving as a jpg. Each time I get the same error message in the log.

Thanks for the help, Andy.
    edited September 4, 2006
    RogersDA wrote:
    --->It now appears that I can't upload to that one gallery. i just tried with some different files and they, too, have the same error. No other gallery appears to have this problem.<---
    OK we're getting somewhere now. Please give me the gallery link, thanks.
    edited September 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK we're getting somewhere now. Please give me the gallery link, thanks.

That would be: http://darphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/1783426
    edited September 4, 2006
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, we were able to upload to your gallery - have you tried again? Let me know if it's still a problem, thanks!
    edited September 4, 2006
    Checked the log and noticed that, of the three files uploaded by smugmug, one failed. Since your attempts I now appear to have uploaded 2 test files sucessfully to this gallery.

Hhhmm......no full moon outside so there must be some other reason....ne_nau.gif

Oh well..if its working now then I shall press on.

Thanks for the assist, Andy (and everyone else at smugmug that helped).
    edited September 4, 2006
    RogersDA wrote:
    Checked the log and noticed that, of the three files uploaded by smugmug, one failed. Since your attempts I now appear to have uploaded 2 test files sucessfully to this gallery.

Hhhmm......no full moon outside so there must be some other reason....ne_nau.gif

Oh well..if its working now then I shall press on.

Thanks for the assist, Andy (and everyone else at smugmug that helped).
    Yeah, indeed I failed once then succeeded. Let's chalk it up to a fluke, eh? Sorry for the trouble, and do please write to us or holler here, if there's a similar situation again. Thanks!
    edited September 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, indeed I failed once then succeeded. Let's chalk it up to a fluke, eh? Sorry for the trouble, and do please write to us or holler here, if there's a similar situation again. Thanks!
    Andy et al.:

Different Gallery - Same Problem. Used the Universal Drag & Drop. I browse for the image and select "upload". From my upload log:

IMG_1498.jpg 95476983 Error 2006-09-15 09:06:39 0s n/a File had errors and could not be processed.

IMG_1498.jpg 95476784 Error 2006-09-15 09:04:46 9s n/a File had errors and could not be processed.

IMG_1498.jpg 95476043 Error 2006-09-15 09:00:44 0s n/a File had errors and could not be processed.

Confirmed that image is 1200 x 1680 (240 ppi) sRGB.

It would be nice if the error message was a bit more descriptive. ne_nau.gif

Right now I have no idea if its me, my image, or smugmug.
    RogersDA wrote:
    Right now I have no idea if its me, my image, or smugmug.

Can you try one more time right now? ear.gif
    Andy wrote:
    Can you try one more time right now? ear.gif

We have no change. Same error message two more times.
    RogersDA wrote:
    We have no change. Same error message two more times.
    Ugh - okay I will dig deeper. Can I have the gallery link please?
    Andy wrote:
    Ugh - okay I will dig deeper. Can I have the gallery link please?
    Sent an email message - gallery is password-protected.
    RogersDA wrote:
    Sent an email message - gallery is password-protected.
    Got it. FYI, I don't need passwords naughty.gif
    OK we need to check for packet loss:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems
    there's a link here to dslreports, run the line quality test and paste the results/link back here please.

One possibility, is that packetloss could corrupt the file on upload. We need to try and rule this out.
    Andy wrote:
    OK we need to check for packet loss:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems
    there's a link here to dslreports, run the line quality test and paste the results/link back here please.

One possibility, is that packetloss could corrupt the file on upload. We need to try and rule this out.

Andy,

I did three things:
    1. Removed the router and connected to internet direct through the cable modem.
    2. Did a packet loss test after removing the router:
    http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2090663
    3. Tried to upload the file again. File upload still produced some form of error.
    RogersDA wrote:
    Andy,

I did three things:
    1. Removed the router and connected to internet direct through the cable modem.
    2. Did a packet loss test after removing the router:
    http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2090663
    3. Tried to upload the file again. File upload still produced some form of error.
    OK I'm going to get some additional help here. Thanks for your patience.
    Andy wrote:
    OK I'm going to get some additional help here. Thanks for your patience.
    Thanks for the help....
    I am off for some BBQ :eat :food binge.gif and a beer 1drink.gif :booze
    with the family.

So...no rush (not that there ever was one in the first place):D
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks for the help....
    I am off for some BBQ :eat :food binge.gif and a beer 1drink.gif :booze
    with the family.

So...no rush (not that there ever was one in the first place):D
    Thanks for your patience. I have other folks trying to troubleshoot for us, too.

I was able to upload the photo you gave me today, here: http://darphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/1889037/1/95518238
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for your patience. I have other folks trying to troubleshoot for us, too.

I was able to upload the photo you gave me today, here: http://darphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/1889037/1/95518238

Tried to upload to http://darphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/1806637

No go...
    RogersDA wrote:
    Check your email... Thanks!
  • DKwanDKwan Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    Errors
    Has this issue been resolved? I've been getting the same problem to any gallery I create since last night. Problem is also happening to some of my existing galleries. I tried a bunch of different images to see what works and what doesn't. Most got errors but a few got through. And the files that get errors can sometimes be uploaded to old galleries and not get errors. And sometimes they can't. Customer service said they're forwarding the problem to one of their engineers but I'm guessing they're all off work by now. Just wanted to see if there was a solution here.

Here's a gallery that gives errors.
    http://dkwan.smugmug.com/gallery/1942270
    Any new gallery I create seems to have the same problem.
    DKwan wrote:
    Has this issue been resolved? I've been getting the same problem to any gallery I create since last night. Problem is also happening to some of my existing galleries. I tried a bunch of different images to see what works and what doesn't. Most got errors but a few got through. And the files that get errors can sometimes be uploaded to old galleries and not get errors. And sometimes they can't. Customer service said they're forwarding the problem to one of their engineers but I'm guessing they're all off work by now. Just wanted to see if there was a solution here.

Here's a gallery that gives errors.
    http://dkwan.smugmug.com/gallery/1942270
    Any new gallery I create seems to have the same problem.
    Hi dkwan, I see five photos loaded into that gallery - all seems fine? Let us know if you are still having any problems, write back to the help desk and we can troubleshoot.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi dkwan, I see five photos loaded into that gallery - all seems fine? Let us know if you are still having any problems, write back to the help desk and we can troubleshoot.

Where's the help desk? :P

Yes I'm still having problems. Those images got through fine but most did not, even ones that I've already uploaded prior to last night. If you can see my upload log you'd see a whole bunch of errors.

Edit:
    Here's a file that gives errors when uploading to that gallery, but uploads just fine into an older gallery.
    http://files.danzeth.com/tmp/IMG_1492.JPG
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    DKwan wrote:
    Where's the help desk? :P

Yes I'm still having problems. Those images got through fine but most did not, even ones that I've already uploaded prior to last night. If you can see my upload log you'd see a whole bunch of errors.

Edit:
    Here's a file that gives errors when uploading to that gallery, but uploads just fine into an older gallery.
    http://files.danzeth.com/tmp/IMG_1492.JPG

Help desk is help@smugmug.com thumb.gif

However, I'm looking into this at the moment so standby.

-Anne
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Help desk is help@smugmug.com thumb.gif

However, I'm looking into this at the moment so standby.

-Anne

Ok, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that you're not crazy. The bad news is that I can't upload to that gallery either :( . Is this happening on every new gallery you create? I peeked at your customization and nothing like upload=false was in there... :D

If you have any more details, please share... as I'm going to bug report this.

Sorry for the trouble!

-Anne
    All better? Please try uploading in existing galleries and creating new ones as well. Holler if you run into any more issues.

Sorry for the trouble!

-Anne
    Okay, the gallery I had problems with before now works. But when I made a new one (called "testing"), I got errors again.
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    All better? Please try uploading in existing galleries and creating new ones as well. Holler if you run into any more issues.

Sorry for the trouble!

-Anne
    DKwan wrote:
    Okay, the gallery I had problems with before now works. But when I made a new one (called "testing"), I got errors again.

I was able to add photos to your new gallery without any problems and it looks like the last 12 images you added didn't have any problems either. This is a very elusive bug and I'll keep working on it!

-Anne