Assignment #6: Extreme Crop

Comments

• douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Boardwalk
    Boardwalk, Bench and Sunglasses. Inspired by rutts Sunglasses photos in this thread.

94451442-L.jpg

94451432-L.jpg
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    Boardwalk, Bench and Sunglasses. Inspired by rutts Sunglasses photos in this thread.

Great entry, as always! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Hey Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:
    beast and pond
    Thanks!
    Don't you think that zooming down to dragon would make your second crop totally extreme? mwink.gif
    Antonio,
    From 16mm to 200mm
    First image is "no-show" :-( :cry
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks!
    Don't you think that zooming down to dragon would make your second crop totally extreme? mwink.gif
    Yeah, but I think I was already at 100% crop!

Here's another... Tar Pits. Darn it, Sunday night after a big backlog... I'll re-edit again later.

94493874-M.jpg

94495768-L.jpg
    Chris
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Here's another attempt....cropped in processing as I did not have a zoom on hand!

94468280-L.jpg

cropped:

94468281-M.jpg
    Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Here's another... Tar Pits
    Nice! Great crop! thumb.gif
    Saurora,
    saurora wrote:
    Here's another attempt....cropped in processing as I did not have a zoom on hand!

And that's totally fine! :):
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    First image is "no-show" :-( :cry

Nikolai,
    I think you found the 1.st photo to be inapropriate.
    I don't understand why.
    Can you tell me, please ?
    Obrigado. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Nikolai,
    I think you found the 1.st photo to be inapropriate.
    I don't understand why.
    Can you tell me, please ?
    Obrigado. thumb.gif
    It means, this link is no good:
    http://antoniocorreia.smugmug.com/photos/94363683-M.jpg
    Do you have external links on in the gallery customization?
    Antonio,
    Andy wrote:

What Andy said deal.gif
    I can't see the image, the link results to 404 (page not found)..ne_nau.gif

HTH
    Andy wrote:

Yes I do Andy.
    I think I have repaired the problem.
    I can't know if it is repaired or not because the photo is in cache and I see it all the time ... (now, tell me I am a lurk in computers :D).
    Can you check, please ?
    Will you please let me know ?! :):
    Thank you.
    thumb.gif
    Nope, still no-show
    Yes I do Andy.
    I think I have repaired the problem.
    I can't know if it is repaired or not because the photo is in cache and I see it all the time ... (now, tell me I am a lurk in computers :D).
    Can you check, please ?
    Will you please let me know ?! :):
    Thank you.
    thumb.gif

Hit Shift+F5, or clear the cache...
    It's still a no-show...:-(
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hit Shift+F5, or clear the cache...
    It's still a no-show...:-(

It shows up for me now!
    Chris
    Yay!
    ChrisJ wrote:
    It shows up for me now!

For me too!

(Andy's link still no workie, thoug:-)

Nice bold crop, Antonio! thumb.gif
    Took me a while to figure out where it came from:-) :D
    Nikolai wrote:
    For me too!

(Andy's link still no workie, thoug:-)

Nice bold crop, Antonio! thumb.gif
    Took me a while to figure out where it came from:-) :D

It is very far away indeed.
    It makes me happy you like my photos. thumb.gif

Obrigado. thumb.gif
    Antonio,
    It makes me happy you like my photos. thumb.gif
    Obrigado. thumb.gif

It's not important whether I like it or not.

I'm here only as a sideline field umpire to tell the players wether the ball is in (entry is compliant with the class subject) or out (it might be a Mona Lisa, but since no cropping is done - it's not valid. Besides, Leonardo did it way before we started the class, so he'd need to paint a fresh copy rolleyes1.gif :-)

What is important is for YOU, as a photographer, to see what this or that particular technique does, and when it can be beneficial for you to use it. Some crops can be plain ugly. Some can be meaningless. Yet some develop a totally new, interesting meaning to the whole picture.

We are all here to learn. And we learn together:-) :):
    Nikolai wrote:
    ...We are all here to learn. And we learn together:-) :):
    :):thumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    The Swartz Returns
    With yet another entry....more of an extreme crop...ha! With colors even rolleyes1.gif

94741456-L.jpg

Now mind you, I had to climb lots of stairs to do this...Laughing.gif

94745488-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    Swartzy,
    Swartzy wrote:
    With yet another entry....more of an extreme crop...ha! With colors even rolleyes1.gif

Now mind you, I had to climb lots of stairs to do this...Laughing.gif

This is awesome entry, man! clap.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Uh, I was interested so I took a look at this............Nik, what are we supposed to be learning here.

If one focuses correctly, with a great lens, etc., it is just too easy.

I mean something I can do right off has to be too easy.

And as I understand it, one can either do two shots of the same scene, one as kind of a wider look and one selecting part of the wide look and featuring it alone. One can either do that with two shots or in post, could not one? You said, "trim", that would be post would it not?

I am not trying to be argumentative here, smile, just curious...........why would one not do this in working any subject???
    If one had time and the subject was willing.

ginger (waiting on the server) I am not big on cropping much in post, but am not against it either. But I do work a shot to death.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Uh, I was interested so I took a look at this............Nik, what are we supposed to be learning here.

If one focuses correctly, with a great lens, etc., it is just too easy.

I mean something I can do right off has to be too easy.

And as I understand it, one can either do two shots of the same scene, one as kind of a wider look and one selecting part of the wide look and featuring it alone. One can either do that with two shots or in post, could not one? You said, "trim", that would be post would it not?

I am not trying to be argumentative here, smile, just curious...........why would one not do this in working any subject???
    If one had time and the subject was willing.

ginger (waiting on the server) I am not big on cropping much in post, but am not against it either. But I do work a shot to death.

Thank you for asking!

What we (are trying to) learn here is to look at the scene and try to "see" something that is not probably visible at a causal glance.
    Look at the harbor and try to see a beautiful ship.
    Look at the tar pit and see a birsting bubble.
    Look at the garden and notice a dragonfly.
    Look at the dragonfly and notice there are, in fact, two of them, mating.
    Look at the sanctuary and see a tiny stained glass flower far up in the window.
    Look at the suburban summer heated cul-de-sac and the a fallen leaf, a message from a coming fall...

Pros and experts (like you) do this automatically. Mere mortals, like the rest of us, need to be trained.

Wanna play? mwink.gif
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    Hi Ginger -

I think that one lesson we can take away from this is that we can become more aware of the details within a scene.

I think there are various ways that one could challenge themselves with this assignment.

1. Would be to take an ordinary scene and take a picture. Then, go in either with your lens or with your feet or both and find a really interesting detail that can be composed and photographed.

2. Take a really interesting picture which covers a wide view. Then see if there is something within the frame that is interesting in and of itself. Crop to see if it is a composition unto itself.

3. Take a picture of the wide view that is compelling, well-composed and well-photographed. A wide view (not necessarily wide-angle) that can stand on it's own. Then - choose an interesting detail and compose a close-up photo that stands on it's own as well - compositionally, technically, artistically. Accomplishing this would be impressive.

It's an interesting challenge to compose the large shot and to then try and re-compose the detail (extreme crop) shot. So far, I think that the submissions that are actually two different images have been most interesting. Capturing only one scene that is interesting in full-view and then cropping it in PP is something that I think would be quite a challenge - but then that is why this is a great educational set of entries that Nikolai has put together.

So, that's my take on it.

I have a second submission. I don't like this one as well as the first pair that I entered. I think the first image is pretty boring. There wasn't really any composition to speak of and it's full of unnecessary information. I like the second shot and took the first one with the second, close-up image in mind.

Wide view of things:

Boring:
    94201452-M.jpg

Not great, but a bit more interesting, I think:
    94201466-M.jpg

(both of these were taken with my 50mm lens - so the extreme crop is almost all due to my physical location - just a little bit of extra cropping PP)

I knew when I looked around on the street that I wanted my close-up to be of the yellow tape against the orange plastic. I took the first shot so that I could take the second one!

(note - now that I look at the first photo - I think that there may have been something interesting to explore with that black piece of "hardware" that is attached to the concrete in front of the cones - what is that? It looks kind of cool!)

One more thought (and as Nikolai said, the experts may do this automatically). There is a difference between going out to take pictures of the things that we already know are beautiful - a flowing waterfall, a freshly bloomed rose, a bee on a sunflower). The real challenge is to go out and find the captivating image that everyone else overlooks. This assignment is good training for the second approach. I know that's what I really want to learn and perhaps why I was motivated by this assignment.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
    edited September 12, 2006
    I have another question then. Mary, you knew that yellow and orange thing was your goal. I think it is very interesting, inventive thinking outside of the box, etc.... all you were striving for.

But could you go back and shoot a non boring photo of the wider look?

Just a thought and an idea. I am itching to do it, but it is not my shot, I don't live there, and I have to be at the oral surgeon's tomorrow.

I do think that you captured exactly what you wanted in the second shot.

ginger

I actually don't know what I took over the weekend, I could dig up other shots, say of the harbor, but lately I have gone to quite nice looking places, IMO. Unfortunately.....................darn!!!
    Ginger - It's funny that you ask - because when I looked around for the first shot the whole scene just looked so ugly! Taking a picture of the scene that would be interesting would definitely be a challenge. Which is another lesson - sometimes the wide scene is most captivating - sometimes it's the details. And, if both can be compelling - well that is something!

I may not be able to get another shot in the near future, though if I'm not running late for class on one of the nights this week I may try. This was shot mid-day on a Saturday so a weekday evening may make for something completely different. There will be more automobile traffic during rush hour and probably more people which could result in more options for an interesting image.

Thanks for the challenge! ;)

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
    Triptych using the idea of the "wider" view, the sum
    of the parts.........and then a closer view of the parts.

93752846-L.jpg

I did this a week ago and posted it on the Daily Community, but is it not a different type of example of which you all are talking about. Three separate photographs. Full frame, or if not, almost. No reason to crop them. The middle photograph I was a bit disappointed in. I liked the other two, but thought they would make a good "arrangement" seen in context, yet separate.
    ?????

Will look for another example that was a crop. I worked the flowers. But using people I don't know, or where the shot could be lost, I sometimes do have to crop.

ginger (I was working up some more photos, things I wanted anyway, when I realized that I can't stay up for a couple of hours until the server could bring my photos to smugmug. I will put them up tomorrow, or so. Unless I go shoot, if I do, I will remember this assignment and shoot some for it.)
    See, Ginger - you already have an eye for this! I really like the image on the left - the sweep of the flower across the picture is really lovely.

:) Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    IDK if you have ever seen these cars in person. Truely jaw dropping! By that time they were probably going a bit over 100mph (they get to 75mph in less than 1 second!!!!!

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1557s.JPG
    sirsloop wrote:
    IMG_1557s.JPG

Did you say cars ?! ... eek7.gif
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    Did you say cars ?! ... eek7.gif

race car... rail... dragster... its got 4 wheels, a huge engine, and a nut behind the wheel -> car :) Just happens to be the fastest one on the planet :)