Options

canon 1ds mark II

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited December 27, 2004
    Both versions of PS come on the disk. Can you un-install it and re-install it
    on the mac?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    Hey, Andy--are you familiar with DxO for optical correction? For your vignetting concern, also does chromatic aberrations, distortions, blur. A buddy of mine swears by it. You can batch in it too. It's on my "list".

Lynne
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Hey, Andy--are you familiar with DxO for optical correction? For your vignetting concern, also does chromatic aberrations, distortions, blur. A buddy of mine swears by it. You can batch in it too. It's on my "list".

<http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/optics_pro/default.php&gt;

Lynne

thanks lynn, yeah i'm familiar with it, but i'm avoiding more software now like the plague. acr corrects the vigging just fine.... :D

thanks for the tip though!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2004
    16-35L edge sharpness (again)
    i'm really cool with it

here's the full pic, resized of course:
    13447993-L.jpg

and, here's an 800px by 800px 100% crop from the lower left corner. my focus point was at least halfway into the pic, btw. i shot this at f/11, focal length of 16mm.

13447992-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    more from the 16-35 f/2.8L
    just to show that this lens does indeed perform on the ff body. i'm really happy :D

shot with 1Ds Mark II, canon 16-35 f/2.8L, 16mm focal length, iso 100, 2secs at f/11, mlu enabled.

13782997-O.jpg

100% crops (direct from raw, no post processing. they respond very well to standard usm)

13782984-O.jpg

13783134-O.jpg
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Awesome
    Totally dig this photo!
    andy wrote:
    just to show that this lens does indeed perform on the ff body. i'm really happy :D

shot with 1Ds Mark II, canon 16-35 f/2.8L, 16mm focal length, iso 100, 2secs at f/11, mlu enabled.

13782997-O.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    Totally dig this photo!

thanks shay, i appreciate your comment very much!
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    oh the details!
    a little big ben, shot on tripod, 50mm f/1.4 aboard

13828486-L.jpg

and, a 100% crop

13881336-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited January 8, 2005
    Stop teasing us with those 100% crops :D

As always, beautiful shots Andy!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Nice pics - just taking a look around (NT)
    Nice pics - just taking a look around (NT) eek7.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    I saw some 40x60 prints from my friends 1Ds mkII on Friday. They are very impressive and the small details hold up very well at that size. It is amazing how good that camera is.

I think Andy needs to print a few that size to hang around his new monitor so it does not feel oversized. naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I saw some 40x60 prints from my friends 1Ds mkII on Friday. They are very impressive and the small details hold up very well at that size. It is amazing how good that camera is.

I think Andy needs to print a few that size to hang around his new monitor so it does not feel oversized. naughty.gif

i have a new order in at big posters a cuppla 3x4s and another six-footer :D

my wife is threatening to use some of my stuff really large in the house, but she's waffling over which ones... sigh
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i have a new order in at big posters a cuppla 3x4s and another six-footer :D

my wife is threatening to use some of my stuff really large in the house, but she's waffling over which ones... sigh

Big prints are awesome, even better if someone else is buying. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    performance with 85mm f/1.8
    the elitists on some boards would scoff at using a $400 lens on this camera, but canon's 85 f/1.8 is one of their best values. sharp! contrasty, fast focus, light as a feather. oh and of course fast :D

here's a 100% crop of this pic posted over in "shots"

the details this camera gets stun me.

14707166-O.jpg
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    I was debating the 85/1.8 or the 100/2, and reviews show the 85mm is the better of the two.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    I was shooting with a pro whose lens mount came loose within a week of getting his 1DsMk11 :splat Canon still have it for repair. He loves the 20d though
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    1Ds Mark II outresolves Medium Format?
    very interesting comparison of 1Ds Mark Ii to Medium Format here
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:

That has been Michael Reichman's contention since the 1ds first appeared, that the digital images are better and sharper than medium format film images.

Butnot medium format digital backs like Leaf or Kodak.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    That has been Michael Reichman's contention since the 1ds first appeared, that the digital images are better and sharper than medium format film images.

Butnot medium format digital backs like Leaf or Kodak.

imo, the canon 20d can outdo film for many purposes (say, prints up to 16x20). but this is so very subjective, isn't it?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    imo, the canon 20d can outdo film for many purposes (say, prints up to 16x20). but this is so very subjective, isn't it?

When I first stated shooting with a 10D, I was so impressed that it's images were vastly superior to most 35mm film images - particularly 35mm negative film.
    I have posted B&W images I shot on Tri-X and souped in D-76 myself, and the grain and accutance in them does not begin to compare to a 20D. Not even close. Kodachrome 25 maybe was he closest, but much higher contrast with less shadow detail.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Cunning sales pitch. naughty.gif Guerrilla marketing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Cunning sales pitch. naughty.gif Guerrilla marketing.

lol3.gif well i see that now, you've figured me out :D

i actually found that link whilst surfing this morning... didn't decide until after a big breakfast with trev, we went to our favortie greasy spoon :food bacon, eggs, bagels, home fries mmm mm :eat
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif well i see that now, you've figured me out :D

i actually found that link whilst surfing this morning... didn't decide until after a big breakfast with trev, we went to our favortie greasy spoon :food bacon, eggs, bagels, home fries mmm mm :eat
    Make that fried eggs, and add some cooked tomatoes and you have the classic English "fry up" breakfast. *Burp.*
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Make that fried eggs, and add some cooked tomatoes and you have the classic English "fry up" breakfast. *Burp.*

saturday or sunday breakfast is a rich tradition with me and my kids deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    after a brief period of brain malfunction i now have a 1Ds Mark II again clap.gif so i'm planning on keeping the 20d as my long body (for telephoto) and the 1Ds II for most of my wide angle shooting.

interestingly, i found the camera via ebay. brand new, unopened, us warranty. it was being sold by a well-known photojournalist, and i was able to verify by speaking to this photographer, the provenance and legitimacy of the seller. was able to get a sweet deal, too, supremely sweet.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    after a brief period of brain malfunction i now have a 1Ds Mark II again clap.gif so i'm planning on keeping the 20d as my long body (for telephoto) and the 1Ds II for most of my wide angle shooting.
    Didn't you just sell your 1DmkII (no s) because it was too big headscratch.gif Does this mean you really were not happy the the files produced by the 1DmkII after all?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Didn't you just sell your 1DmkII (no s) because it was too big headscratch.gif Does this mean you really were not happy the the files produced by the 1DmkII after all?

i owned the 1Ds Mark II, from Dec thru Mar... then a fellow dgrinner bought it from me. Then I used my 1Ds in Yosemite, and decided that I'd go back to the 1Ds Mark II... file size is fine - big, but fine... i upgraded my studio system to a g5 powermac back in january.

thanks bodley!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    andy wrote:

interestingly, i found the camera via ebay. brand new, unopened, us warranty. it was being sold by a well-known photojournalist, and i was able to verify by speaking to this photographer, the provenance and legitimacy of the seller. was able to get a sweet deal, too, supremely sweet.

Uh-oh. Sounds like you're about to re-purchase that 30" display for all those huge files...

actually, I AM just kidding. As sick as you are, Andy, I'm sure that you realize that the 23" really is large enough...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Uh-oh. Sounds like you're about to re-purchase that 30" display for all those huge files...

actually, I AM just kidding. As sick as you are, Andy, I'm sure that you realize that the 23" really is large enough...

i felt like i was in a tennis match with the 30" display. nod.gif the 23" is perfect size for me, really and truly.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    :bs:bigbs What else can we say. :Dne_nau.gifscratch
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com