Options

alternative to iPhoto? just for viewing

2»

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    They're supposed to be releasing 3.6.1 soon.

It is available for download now from phaseone.com. I ran check for updates and it found it.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    fish wrote:
    If you look at what macaroni does, it's pretty much just cleaning up files and rotating log files. Shouldn't be a huge impact on performance. Sure, over time, it might bog it down, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic increase. Unix is NOT anything like winders, where a few funked up settings will hose it.

True, but Macaroni also repairs permissions for you, which can slow you down or just grind you to a halt if they're not set right.

The Doctor, I believe, has been up and running on his powerbook for quite a while never having run that stuff.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 22, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    True, but Macaroni also repairs permissions for you, which can slow you down or just grind you to a halt if they're not set right.

The Doctor, I believe, has been up and running on his powerbook for quite a while never having run that stuff.
    you would be right. it's hard to quantify something like that, and maybe its just the placebo, but I think I recognize a slight improvement in performance now. I like that Macaroni is a set and forget app too thumb.gif

I ran the "light cleaning" in PCC as well. They make it sound really scary though, can you by any chance elaborate on that what the cache cleaning really entails, and should I check all the options (I did the first time - local cache, etc...)?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Ed Zachary. Also, make sure you run out the battery completely once in a while.
    I like to take it all over the place, so I end up doing this about once a week. I was sure to read up on that aspect of powerbook ownership. As long as those electrons are flowing, life is good :D
    Erik

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2004
    So many questions that probably apply to both Qpict and iView
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I like Qpict for being able to view lots of stuff and more sorting options (and slideshows for when I want to show friends) but to be honest, I think I'll use it sparingly.
    I downloaded Qpict today and it looks pretty powerful, including handling RAW files (which you don't get with iView, unless you go "pro").

Now I'm faced with the daunting task of reorganizing the 6300 images I have in iPhoto. I have no idea where to start or how to set up a good, scaleable filing system. Since you're now a pro at Qpict, doc, wtf do I do?

Should I set up a folder hierarchy in the Pictures area? Export rolls, albums or the entire library from iPhoto at once?

What's the difference between categories and keywords, and how should I use them? I'm thinking categories are the highest level in the hierarchy, with multiple keywords on each image.

I can't remember the last time I was this stumped with a software app.

help!

:dgrinyelrotflmao.gif:(:
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2005
    okie dokie. took a few hours, but I'm going to try to return Qpict. Just doesn't work for me. and i have the forehead bruises to prove it. no, you can't see any photos.

i think the one single thing that pissed me off most about Qpict was that as extensive as the search function was, it didn't offer a dropdown list of existing annotations (categories, keywords, image names, etc). No, you have to remember the annotations you used and search on plain text. Hell, even iPhoto has this feature. Foul. Unsportsmanlike conduct. 15 yards.

I am trying to resist just plonking down another 200 clams down on iview mediapro2. Please try to convince me that this will be x times better than iPhoto.

This is funny...it reminds me of New Years Eve 1999, and I had to finish building my AR15 assault rifle before New Years Day 2K when a CA ban cut-in. I was on the phone to three different vendors, who stayed open late 12/31/99 just for us CA folks.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2005
    Look...I can't hold this thread afloat by myself, ya know.

Ian. What do you use?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Look...I can't hold this thread afloat by myself, ya know.

Ian. What do you use?

Funny.

If you don't want to lay down $200 for iVMP, then just get the plain vanilla version.

I use IVMP, and while it's not perfect, it is the best app around for what it does.

It supports RAW, so that makes is x times better than iPhoto.

It doesn't force you to manage your files in any particular way, but works around you.

It's about workflow and ease of use as well as power. It puts the control back in your hands.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Funny.

If you don't want to lay down $200 for iVMP, then just get the plain vanilla version.
    I've been playing with the PV demo version, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't do RAW and it doesn't allow batch annotation.
    It doesn't force you to manage your files in any particular way, but works around you.
    Yes, it seems to do that better than Qpict. Much better, in fact. Just curious, but if I decide to move a bunch of photos, will it know it?

Guess I'll have to try downloading the iVMP2 demo.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Ian. What do you use?
    Windoze file browser....but I sent my seester e-mail asking about a PB vs. a
    desktop...I have to run. F'd up a windoze server...whoops.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I downloaded Qpict today and it looks pretty powerful, including handling RAW files (which you don't get with iView, unless you go "pro").

Now I'm faced with the daunting task of reorganizing the 6300 images I have in iPhoto. I have no idea where to start or how to set up a good, scaleable filing system. Since you're now a pro at Qpict, doc, wtf do I do?

Should I set up a folder hierarchy in the Pictures area? Export rolls, albums or the entire library from iPhoto at once?

What's the difference between categories and keywords, and how should I use them? I'm thinking categories are the highest level in the hierarchy, with multiple keywords on each image.

I can't remember the last time I was this stumped with a software app.

help!

:dgrinyelrotflmao.gif:(:
    fish, just noticing this now. Sorry, seems like you had a bad experience with Qpict. I really woudn't have been able to help anyway. I downloaded it, and ended up abondoning it. My OCD way of organizing my files on my hard drive is so ingrained in my workflow, that all these browsers just add a step for me. I kept Qpict however for one reason - to make on screen slideshows to show people on the powerbook (but after I view it, I don't save the "directory"). Other than that, PS CS file browser and my own organization is enough. I think I just hate the extra clutter of index files that there browsers give me. Am I stupid?

ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    fish, just noticing this now. Sorry, seems like you had a bad experience with Qpict. I really woudn't have been able to help anyway. I downloaded it, and ended up abondoning it. My OCD way of organizing my files on my hard drive is so ingrained in my workflow, that all these browsers just add a step for me. I kept Qpict however for one reason - to make on screen slideshows to show people on the powerbook (but after I view it, I don't save the "directory"). Other than that, PS CS file browser and my own organization is enough. I think I just hate the extra clutter of index files that there browsers give me. Am I stupid?

ne_nau.gif
    Nope, I don't use one either. Glad to hear you don't - I always figured I was not understanding something. I just create my own folders, and keep both the RAW and finished shots in them. I guess I can't do a slideshow. ne_nau.gif But a well labeled folder seems to be enough for me to keep track, given the low volume of shots that I actually end up keeping.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nope, I don't use one either. Glad to hear you don't - I always figured I was not understanding something. I just create my own folders, and keep both the RAW and finished shots in them. I guess I can't do a slideshow. ne_nau.gif But a well labeled folder seems to be enough for me to keep track, given the low volume of shots that I actually end up keeping.
    you're on a PC, right? slide shows are no problem, just like Ian said, Windows file browser lets you do all that, just change your view to fullscreen. I'm not talking fancy shows here, just showing other people my photos without launching PS or somethine else - in windows XP, you can change view anywhere from list, details, thumbnails, or then "slide show", that's all I was referring to. The only reason I use Qpict at all is because the Mac OS finder doesn't have that last "slide show" option, only goes up to thumbnails (but you can set the size of those, nice) that windows file browser does.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The only reason I use Qpict at all is because the Mac OS finder doesn't have that last "slide show" option, only goes up to thumbnails (but you can set the size of those, nice) that windows file browser does.

There are better options for slideshows. Like
    JPEG Deux, or you can check versiontracker.com for more options.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    There are better options for slideshows. Like
    JPEG Deux, or you can check versiontracker.com for more options.
    see - and that's why forums like this are awesome. thanks for the tip thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you're on a PC, right? slide shows are no problem, just like Ian said, Windows file browser lets you do all that, just change your view to fullscreen. I'm not talking fancy shows here, just showing other people my photos without launching PS or somethine else - in windows XP, you can change view anywhere from list, details, thumbnails, or then "slide show", that's all I was referring to. The only reason I use Qpict at all is because the Mac OS finder doesn't have that last "slide show" option, only goes up to thumbnails (but you can set the size of those, nice) that windows file browser does.
    Hah, I'll have to try that. Thanks!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    see - and that's why forums like this are awesome. thanks for the tip thumb.gif

Actually, I have to admit that I haven't used JPEG Deux in quite a while, and there may be better alternatives than that. The one thing it has going for it is price (free), but I see that it hasn't been update for 2 years...could be good, could be bad, too soon to tell...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Actually, I have to admit that I haven't used JPEG Deux in quite a while, and there may be better alternatives than that. The one thing it has going for it is price (free), but I see that it hasn't been update for 2 years...could be good, could be bad, too soon to tell...

JPEG Deux rocks, works fine in Panther. I love the d for delete feature, and use it to review jpg shoots for its speed and color quality.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    JPEG Deux rocks, works fine in Panther. I love the d for delete feature, and use it to review jpg shoots for its speed and color quality.

You know, Lynne, just tried the latest version in 10.3.7, and it won't open. Starts to, then just closes right back up.
    Moderator Emeritus