edited October 24, 2006 in SmugMug Support
here we go again.....

think i put this in the wrong place...oopppsss

Comments

• red hot sheepred hot sheep Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Smugmug uploads taking excessively long
    Hi,

I uploaded a fairly large (12 megapixel pano ~7mb) using the drag and drop uploader. The status bar went across fine, and the window said the file had uploaded. I looked in the gallery, and there was no sign of it (not even a processing image icon). I thought something had gone wrong, so I uploaded it again. Same thing happened.

Around 40 minutes later, two 'processing image' logos appeared in the gallery. But this has been like this for another hour!

Can anyone help?

Francis
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hi guys,

We're sorry for the delays, it seems to be the sunday-rush hours. We're looking into it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Your images will be processed, just not as fast as you are used to. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
  • florindoflorindo Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hi,

I uploaded a fairly large (12 megapixel pano ~7mb) using the drag and drop uploader...Around 40 minutes later, two 'processing image' logos appeared in the gallery. But this has been like this for another hour!

Francis

I too am having a difficult time posting to my gallery. I've been having this problem since last night. ne_nau.gif It seems Smugmug is running really slow. Don't know what the answer is, but hopefully it will be better soon. I have clients waiting for their pictures!!
    _________
    Florindo
    www.bellacosaphotography.com
    florindo.smugmug.com
    edited October 22, 2006
    florindo wrote:
    I too am having a difficult time posting to my gallery. I've been having this problem since last night. ne_nau.gif It seems Smugmug is running really slow. Don't know what the answer is, but hopefully it will be better soon. I have clients waiting for their pictures!!
    Hi Florindo, If you're having problems last night already, you are exeriencing something different than the sunday rush. It was not slow last night. What problems did you have last night? ear.gif
    edited October 22, 2006
    Still hasn't finished processing. It's been going for around 3 hours now.
    edited October 22, 2006
    Still hasn't finished processing. It's been going for around 3 hours now.
    You have a link to your site? ear.gif
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hi Ivar,

Probably wasn't the right thing to do, but I deleted the two 'processing image' files, and tried a different uploader. Of course the same thing has happened, and I can't 'see' the photo at all (no processing image). Silly me :cry. This new upload is still in queue.

btw, my site is
    http://studiocreations.smugmug.com

Thanks,
    Francis

PS: interestingly, in my upload log, it now says the previous two processing images that I deleted were complete headscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Hi Ivar,

Probably wasn't the right thing to do, but I deleted the two 'processing image' files, and tried a different uploader. Of course the same thing has happened, and I can't 'see' the photo at all (no processing image). Silly me :cry. This new upload is still in queue.

btw, my site is
    http://studiocreations.smugmug.com

Thanks,
    Francis

PS: interestingly, in my upload log, it now says the previous two processing images that I deleted were complete headscratch.gif
    They *will* complete, there's just a bit of a queue, Sundays are busiest for uploading. Thanks for your patience!
  • simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    I too have noticed the slow processing times. I am only uplodaing photos.

Kristi
    edited October 22, 2006
    It's done! Hoooray!! clap.gif

104524957-L.jpg
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    They *will* complete, there's just a bit of a queue, Sundays are busiest for uploading. Thanks for your patience!

i love my smugmug, and i don't intend to bash it in any way, but is this something i should get used to? i shot three different college sports yesterday, edited them for the greater part of today, and expected them to be online for display this evening. i hate to sound rude, but this slow-down is somewhat unnacceptable.
    edited October 22, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    i love my smugmug, and i don't intend to bash it in any way, but is this something i should get used to? i shot three different college sports yesterday, edited them for the greater part of today, and expected them to be online for display this evening. i hate to sound rude, but this slow-down is somewhat unnacceptable.
    It's not somewhat unacceptable.

It's VERY unacceptable. Onethumb and Wireless and Primetime are working on confinguring a bunch of new hardware just the right way. There's load balancers and networking and more. And we're continuing to spend $$ and work on a setup that will be robust, speedy, and also not cause a long queue on Sunday nights.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. And yeah, it's been a few slow Sundays. We'll get there, I'm sure- I have complete confidence in our tech team. In fact, I know that they are working right now even, on Sunday evening, to improve things.
  • FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Processing or not?
    I am encountering what is probably somewhat related... I uploaded a series of photographs earlier today. According to my upload log they have all been processed and completed, but the image doesn't appear in the log, the hyperlink to the image number is inoperative, and the gallery still displays the "processing image" icon.

http://armchair-traveler.smugmug.com/gallery/1149669

Thanks.
    edited October 22, 2006
    I am encountering what is probably somewhat related... I uploaded a series of photographs earlier today. According to my upload log they have all been processed and completed, but the image doesn't appear in the log, the hyperlink to the image number is inoperative, and the gallery still displays the "processing image" icon.

http://armchair-traveler.smugmug.com/gallery/1149669

Thanks.
    They'll process. They will take longer, but they will process. Thanks for your patience.
  • AcediaAcedia Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ~snip We'll get there, I'm sure- I have complete confidence in our tech team. In fact, I know that they are working right now even, on Sunday evening, to improve things.

Well, it wasn't '3 hours' when I uploaded some pictures earlier - but it was a bit of a wait!

But I was not in any great hurry tonite

84015405-S.jpg
    Acedia
  • FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    They'll process. They will take longer, but they will process. Thanks for your patience.

Andy,

Just FYI, lots of photos uploaded after these problem photos have already been processed. I think these got lost somewhere and probably aren't going to process. I'll have to re-upload them.
    edited October 22, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Florindo, If you're having problems last night already, you are exeriencing something different than the sunday rush. It was not slow last night. What problems did you have last night? ear.gif

Last night, beginning around 10(?) Eastern or so, I began uploading pictures. The uploading itself went smoothly, but the system was processing the pictures very slowly: after uploading, the "processing image" icon stayed quite a while, and then once the pictures appeared, the rotating of images took forever (at least 20-30 minutes). Early this morning (around 7AM Eastern) the system seemed to be running normally, but again was very slow this afternoon (around 1PM Eastern), and throughout the day. It's now 8:24PM Eastern and I have a bunch of images that have been trying to post from uploads and rotate since around 6PM Eastern or so.

Hey, these things happen. Being an IT guy myself I understand. I'll let the client know that there will be a bit of delay. Everything's cool. :ivar
    _________
    Florindo
    florindo.smugmug.com
    edited October 22, 2006
    florindo wrote:
    the rotating of images took forever (at least 20-30 minutes).

Yo, Florindo, how are you? Long time no talk. FYI (And even I didn't know this!), using the bulk-rotate tool, those rotations will be delayed until the queue gets back to normal. Since I know you shoot Canon, here's what I do: Camera set to auto rotate- then in Bridge/Photoshop, the files are already properly rotated. Upload to SmugMug - boom-done-let's-go-get a pastrami sammich thumb.gif

We gotta shoot one of these days!
    edited October 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:

It's VERY unacceptable....

Hey Andy! Personally I don't think it's necessarily "unacceptable," in that I know that these things tend to happen. Yeah, smugmug has had it's issues (tennis, anyone? :D ), but overall it's been a great service for me.

I'm personally glad you guys are on top of it. One thing is for sure - smugmug has never sugarcoated anything, nor has it ever not owned up to a problem. Ya gotta get some kudos for that.clap.gif
    _________
    Florindo
    florindo.smugmug.com
    edited October 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yo, Florindo, how are you? Long time no talk. FYI (And even I didn't know this!), using the bulk-rotate tool, those rotations will be delayed until the queue gets back to normal. Since I know you shoot Canon, here's what I do: Camera set to auto rotate- then in Bridge/Photoshop, the files are already properly rotated. Upload to SmugMug - boom-done-let's-go-get a pastrami sammich thumb.gif

We gotta shoot one of these days!

ACK!! I never even considered that! You are da man, as always! bowdown.gif

I'm definitely up for heading into the city for another day of shooting with you. It's been a while since I've been there for other than work. Hey - remember our sunrise shoot of the skyline from New Jersey? It was FREEZING, and you busted that cop sleeping in his car. Classic times, my friend! rolleyes1.gif
    _________
    Florindo
    florindo.smugmug.com
    edited October 22, 2006
    florindo wrote:
    Hey - remember our sunrise shoot of the skyline from New Jersey? It was FREEZING, and you busted that cop sleeping in his car. Classic times, my friend! rolleyes1.gif
    How could I forget lol3.gif
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Not only is the processing taking forever, but now if I try to upload say 5 images, only 2 make it then the loader "hangs" and gives me a "network error" message.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    How about creating a page that gives information such as
    "Current queue length"
    "Current processing wait time"
    "Number of photos processed in the last hour (over the whole of smugmug)"
    "Graphs?"

A page like this will allow the uploaders to see whether it is site-wide issue, or something that went wrong with their upload. Don't forget that for everyone who posts to dgrin, there'll be 100 people who don't.
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Do we have an upload time limit? I tried using the green smuggie upload and got the java socket error thing again. Many times this happens when uploading bookoo bytes. It's frustrating as some upload and keep, some upload and go away, and it's hard to find which have and haven't to restart. So... I have been deleting the entire gallery and starting over with the "send to smugmug" program. So far so good with that, although, even though I've already made an existing gallery with a sub cat, it won't show up when using the "add to existing gallery". Ahhh.. sorry, rambling on here, just getting frustrated today.
  • simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:

It's VERY unacceptable. Onethumb and Wireless and Primetime are working on confinguring a bunch of new hardware just the right way. There's load balancers and networking and more. And we're continuing to spend $$ and work on a setup that will be robust, speedy, and also not cause a long queue on Sunday nights.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. And yeah, it's been a few slow Sundays. We'll get there, I'm sure- I have complete confidence in our tech team. In fact, I know that they are working right now even, on Sunday evening, to improve things.

I don't mean to be a pain. Are they still working on the issues? I am still experience slow uploads. Now I have pictures that do not completely upload. I am using the IE Uploader with IE 6.0.

Thanks,
    Kristi
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I am too also experiencing very slow uploading at home now and my uploads are usually very fast.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited October 23, 2006
    I am too also experiencing very slow uploading at home now and my uploads are usually very fast.
    Slow uploading or slow image processing?

If uploading, what uploader? Are you getting any error messages? There are some prob determination steps you can do, outlined here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Let us know how we can help, ok?
    edited October 23, 2006
    slow uploading problems using the universal drag and drop, and I am using
    Mac's osx and firefox
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited October 23, 2006
    slow uploading problems using the universal drag and drop, and I am using
    Mac's osx and firefox
    OK, thanks - do try the line quality test please - uploading is working normally (quite fast) here for me, and we're getting no system wide complaints. We need to trouble shoot your connection.
    edited October 23, 2006
    ok thanks I'll check out all my connections here
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    MacBook, MacPro