All my gallery keywords have vanished ?

2»

Comments

• HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    They are important for searches. Both SmugMug searches and external searches (google, yahoo, altavista, etc)
    I agree, they are important and would be even more useful if they worked the same at the gallery level as they do for individual photos.

If every photo in a gallery was taken in Las Cruces, New Mexico, it makes sense to enter "Las Cruces" "New Mexico" as gallery keywords rather than clutter up the photo keyword area with the same words in every photo. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work; saving the photo keywords for unique identifiers for the photo?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    HDVideo wrote:
    I agree, they are important and would be even more useful if they worked the same at the gallery level as they do for individual photos.

If every photo in a gallery was taken in Las Cruces, New Mexico, it makes sense to enter "Las Cruces" "New Mexico" as gallery keywords rather than clutter up the photo keyword area with the same words in every photo. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work; saving the photo keywords for unique identifiers for the photo?
    It does work like that, doesn't it? or maybe I misread your question?
  • encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hmmm... I'm not sure... Hence my earlier questioning of the importance / use of gallery keywords... I'm thinking aloud here so bear with me (And I'm thinking of keywords from a cloud tag perspective - are there any others?):

An example on my own site (encosion.smugmug.com)... If you do a search for "Bolivia" it'll come up with the galleries and sub-catergories, but no photos... I don't have a problem with this... I entered "Bolivia" as a gallery keyword in those galleries... I don't have any photos keywords with "Bolivia" in them... But the tag cloud on the homepage doesn't have the word "Bolivia" either... So the tag cloud is for photo keywords only... But I somehow expected the word "Bolivia" to be in there somewhere...

If you did a search for "Ipanema" on the other hand, You'll find both galleries and photos come up... And it's in the cloud tag... This is because "Ipanema" has been used in both gallery keywords AND photo keywords...

So, yeah... I guess I'm just questioning why the gallery keywords aren't included in the tag cloud?
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2006
    encosion wrote:
    Hmmm... I'm not sure... Hence my earlier questioning of the importance / use of gallery keywords... I'm thinking aloud here so bear with me (And I'm thinking of keywords from a cloud tag perspective - are there any others?):

An example on my own site (encosion.smugmug.com)... If you do a search for "Bolivia" it'll come up with the galleries and sub-catergories, but no photos... I don't have a problem with this... I entered "Bolivia" as a gallery keyword in those galleries... I don't have any photos keywords with "Bolivia" in them... But the tag cloud on the homepage doesn't have the word "Bolivia" either... So the tag cloud is for photo keywords only... But I somehow expected the word "Bolivia" to be in there somewhere...

If you did a search for "Ipanema" on the other hand, You'll find both galleries and photos come up... And it's in the cloud tag... This is because "Ipanema" has been used in both gallery keywords AND photo keywords...

So, yeah... I guess I'm just questioning why the gallery keywords aren't included in the tag cloud?

encosion,

I know where you are coming from, but no everyone may want it to work this way.

This is something that has been on my to-do list for SmugBrowser for sometime. I want to implement keywording so the keywords can be applied at the Account, Category, Sub-Category, Gallery or Photo level. In doing so, everything will inherit keywords from its parents...and automatically apply the gallery and image keywords.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Gallery keywords, AFAIK, are different than photo keywords. I suppose we won't ever know for SURE what Google et. al. does with Gallery Keywords, but they ARE used by SMUGSEARCH.

They're used to help people find your galleries. For example, you might create a gallery called Ben and Mark's Italian party. But someone may search for Ben MacDonald, or Florence vacation. This field allows you to include search words that will help people find your gallery and are hidden so they don't make your gallery title too long.
  • HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    No, it doesn't work like that. If you use quotation marks around any group of words in the Gallery Keyword box, all keywords in the box are erased when you save your changes. I would therefore have to enter New and Mexico as unique words.

In the bulk and individual photo keyword edits, you can use quotation marks to combine the words "New Mexico" resulting in new mexico rather than new mexico.

I'm obviously not making this clear since several of us have posted the same question in various ways and it's still confusing. I think if you just go to Customize Gallery and try to enter anything with quotation marks around it, then save your changes. When you go back into Customize Gallery, you'll see that whatever you entered into the keyword box is now gone. That's what I'm talking about and what I think was addressed by the OP.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    OK, this is really stupid, but I am looking for the most time efficient way to key word my whole site. Is it possible.

I used to be able to google myself. Now I could find a needle in the proverbial haystack easier.........I assume due to the growth and use of the internet.

I then tried to key word everything. Drove me nuts!!! I don't have time to key word everything.

Then I found someone else in Charleston who was using something I wrote her and she could be googled. I went to her site, no sign of my words, but I know what I wrote her, and I know that she does not belong all of those places. And they were in her Google post as though she had written them.

However, I post lots of photos that could be keyworded many different ways. I see other people's key words, they take up more space than the photo in some cases, exageration there. I just can't take that time with each post. Besides, I don't want those key words around my stuff. The answer to that might be in the help section.

But the most efficient way time wise to get noticed...........what have you found? I would give up some "notice" to save time. No way am I going to get everything key worded.

any hints.?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    any hints.?

ginger
    1) add keywords from Adobe Bridge *before* you upload. Fast, easy and efficient.

2) use "bulk keywording" on SmugMug

3) See the rest of my tips here:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/MaximizeYourFindability

Got some tips? Add to the wiki!
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    That will work - Thanks
    nm

Michael

Allen wrote:
    In gallery look under "photos tools" for "edit captions/keywords bulk".
    At the top enter "key1 key2" in quotes, toggle keyword at right and
    hit preview button. They will now be on every pic in that gallery.

Put in another and do same.
    That what you're looking for?
    Al
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    So...what is the exact difference between Gallery and photo keywords?
    I guess what I am asking is..is there a difference in the search function of the two different area keywords? I assume Gallery keyword "search hits" if clicked on will bring up a Gallery - Photo keywords hits will bring up individual photos?

Michael

Andy wrote:
    1) add keywords from Adobe Bridge *before* you upload. Fast, easy and efficient.

2) use "bulk keywording" on SmugMug

3) See the rest of my tips here:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/MaximizeYourFindability

Got some tips? Add to the wiki!