Why cant i open 30D files in CS2 ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 7, 2006 in Finishing School
I went out with the new 30D today & set it up the same as my old 20D & shot RAW. I have loaded them into a file however CS2 sinply says .."could not complete your request because its not the right kind of document"

:scratch any ideas ?

Comments

• marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I went out with the new 30D today & set it up the same as my old 20D & shot RAW. I have loaded them into a file however CS2 sinply says .."could not complete your request because its not the right kind of document"

headscratch.gif any ideas ?

You're not running the latest version of ACR. Get it here
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    ok tks mate. Actually i cant even open them in Rawshooter either.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    Gus, you also must have Digital Photo Professional 2.1.x that shipped with the 30D. That'll open them up too.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 5, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Gus, you also must have Digital Photo Professional 2.1.x that shipped with the 30D. That'll open them up too.
    Ta mate...thumb.gif I hadnt thought of that.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    It's like every camera generates its own RAW file, and you need to add the plug-in for your camera.

*&^%$#@ Adobe won't make the 5D plug-in work for CS. They try to force you to upgrade to CS2. Me, I'm waiting for CS3 and Universal Binary before giving them any more of my money. So in the meantime, I use DPP.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited November 5, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    It's like every camera generates its own RAW file, and you need to add the plug-in for your camera.

*&^%$#@ Adobe won't make the 5D plug-in work for CS. They try to force you to upgrade to CS2. Me, I'm waiting for CS3 and Universal Binary before giving them any more of my money. So in the meantime, I use DPP.
    Yeah looks like it mate.... I have downloaded the new one that marlinspike so kindly pointed out. Am yet to load it into 'plug-ins'...it will take me 8 attempts & an hour to find the correct file to drop it in. Im seriously not into computers.
    edited November 5, 2006
    Ok...i have that update & i dropped it in the plug-in file but now i still dont get thumb nails in the browse headscratch.gif If i choose that shot it opens fine but i just cant see which im opening.

Do i need to put it somewhere else ?
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ok...i have that update & i dropped it in the plug-in file but now i still dont get thumb nails in the browse headscratch.gif If i choose that shot it opens fine but i just cant see which im opening.

gus, are you browsing in adobe bridge or windows explorer? If you're in windows explorer, you're probably using windows raw viewer in which case you're out of luck because it doesnt support the 30d yet. If you're in bridge...then i dunno.
    Pedal faster
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    it will take me 8 attempts & an hour
    Look at the timestamps, 58 minutes naughty.gif
    edited November 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ok tks mate. Actually i cant even open them in Rawshooter either.

You also need to update your RawShooter (which is luckily still available on Pixmantecs website). I would do this since who knows how much longer they'll leave it up, and if you paid for RSP (as opposed to RSE) you wouldn't want to be left with some old copy.
    edited November 5, 2006
    gus wrote:

Don't think so.

When in doubt, I go high tech: turn everything off, reboot, then start over. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited November 6, 2006
    ok..rebooted over & over. re-shot images & refiled them in new folder. Every time i open the photos in bridge i just get the CS2 symbol (apature with CS2 written on the symbol...NO THUMBNAILS ne_nau.gif If i select the shot it opens but i cant see which photo im selecting.

buller ..buller

Is it because i put the update plug-in in the wrong spot maybe ?
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ok..rebooted over & over. re-shot images & refiled them in new folder. Every time i open the photos in bridge i just get the CS2 symbol (apature with CS2 written on the symbol...NO THUMBNAILS ne_nau.gif If i select the shot it opens but i cant see which photo im selecting.

buller ..buller

Is it because i put the update plug-in in the wrong spot maybe ?

Did you put it in the C:\program files\common files\adobe\plug-ins\cs2 folder?
    edited November 6, 2006
    Did you put it in the C:\program files\common files\adobe\plug-ins\cs2 folder?
    Nearly...this is where i put it.

c:\program files\adobe\adobe photoshop CS2\plug-ins
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Nearly...this is where i put it.

c:\program files\adobe\adobe photoshop CS2\plug-ins

Well move it and see what happens.
    edited November 6, 2006
    Well move it and see what happens.
    Where though ? Inside c:\program files\adobe\adobe photoshop CS2\plug-ins i have these folders ..sorry mate but im really good at reaching stuff up high & lifting heavy things.

a/ adobe image read only
    b/ adobe photoshop only
    c/ extensions
    d/ file formats (tried this one already & it didnt work)
    e/ import export
    and...
    f/ few other filter ones etc
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Where though ? Inside c:\program files\adobe\adobe photoshop CS2\plug-ins i have these folders ..sorry mate but im really good at reaching stuff up high & lifting heavy things.

a/ adobe image read only
    b/ adobe photoshop only
    c/ extensions
    d/ file formats (tried this one already & it didnt work)
    e/ import export
    and...
    f/ few other filter ones etc
    Um...C:\program files\common files\adobe\plug-ins\cs2 folder?

I'm going to bed since I have to wake up in 5 hours, but I'll check back in the morning.
    Read that carefully, you are going to program files then common files, not straight into adobe.
    edited November 6, 2006
    Um...C:\program files\common files\adobe\plug-ins\cs2 folder?

I'm going to bed since I have to wake up in 5 hours, but I'll check back in the morning.
    Read that carefully, you are going to program files then common files, not straight into adobe.

Ok...i did exactly as you said re-booted & no luck. I have thumb nails selected at the bottom also.

Man computers suck.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Gus, what folder was your older copy of ACR located?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 6, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Gus, what folder was your older copy of ACR located?

headscratch.gif good question...just had a look & cant see it. Doing a search now.

Any hints ?
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:

Gus, it might be worth trying to purge the cache for that folder (somewhere in the bridge drop down menus)
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ok...i did exactly as you said re-booted & no luck. I have thumb nails selected at the bottom also.

Man computers suck.

Gus, can you e-mail me a 30D file? I want to fiddle. rishayegan at davidson dot edu
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:

Man computers suck.
    I agree. This kind of stuff ties my stomach in knots because I feel so out-of-control.
    Sid.
    edited November 6, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    Gus, it might be worth trying to purge the cache for that folder (somewhere in the bridge drop down menus)
    Ta mate...just tried all that & it didnt open the thumbnail.
    edited November 6, 2006
    Gus, can you e-mail me a 30D file? I want to fiddle. rishayegan at davidson dot edu
    Ta mate...i deleted them so i will take another this arvo & send it. Out the door to work atm.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    gus wrote:
    ..sorry mate but im really good at reaching stuff up high & lifting heavy things.

rolleyes1.gif Man, Gus, you say some funny stuff.

Sorry I don't have any help to offer, raw is a jungle.

Malte
    edited November 7, 2006
    Hope that worked mate...its 8 meg..went fine from this end.
    edited November 7, 2006
    Still no luck?
    Sid.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    instructions for PC'ers directly from adobe
    CAMERA RAW 3.4 1st Raw plug in for the 30D canon...........

Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Creative Suite 2:
    Windows®:
    1. Exit Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge.
    2. Open My Computer.
    3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
    4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.
    5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
    7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.

The yellow line may be where your problem was you were not going far enuff into the plug ins folder......

Hope this helps....oh yeah now for my smartass side....those adobe read me's are really helpful if you print them out....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 7, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    CAMERA RAW 3.4 1st Raw plug in for the 30D canon...........

Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Creative Suite 2:
    Windows®:
    1. Exit Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge.
    2. Open My Computer.
    3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
    4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.
    5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
    7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.

The yellow line may be where your problem was you were not going far enuff into the plug ins folder......

Hope this helps....oh yeah now for my smartass side....those adobe read me's are really helpful if you print them out....:D
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Thankyou Art...

I was dropping the new Raw file in beside file formats...i didnt realise i had to actually open this file (called file formats) & paste the new one in there...as i did this it asked if i wanted to replace the old one (this is how i just read Arts post) & before i did as art said & kept the original. I allowed the comp to replace it & thats it...im opening the 30D files.

Thankyou heaps Art...your a visionary...you realised i was a lot more of a computer idiot than marlinspike assumed. Karma for you both for persisting.