AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

1111213141517»

Comments

• BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    wellman wrote: »
    AlbumFetcher is currently dead, given SmugMug's new awesomeness and new API.

It might be easily resurrected by someone who can do some C++ updating. Source code is still available (see first post in thread).

I'm just weighing in here to grovel for some generous soul to please take this on. I'd do it myself if I knew the first thing about C++.

This is a unique and valuable tool, one I've come to depend on for regular backups that give me tremendous peace of mind. AFAIK, there is no other utility that does all this:
    (1) allows the bulk download of any number of galleries at once (select from a list populated real time)
    (2) downloads their respective gallery descriptions
    (3) downloads all included images (both true and virtual)
    (4) embeds in those downloaded image files the Keywords* and Captions (IPTC Description)* that I have maintained through the years using the SmugMug editing tools (not in my original upload files)
    (5) preserves my original filenames (no SM prefixes/suffixes).

I hope I never need to, but if necessary, this positions me to be able to easily switch to a different image hosting service.

*Note that the new SmugMug version has added display and maintenance of an additional field that would also need to be embedded in the image metadata: Title.

Thanks!
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    I'm just weighing in here to grovel for some generous soul to please take this on. I'd do it myself if I knew the first thing about C++.

This is a unique and valuable tool, one I've come to depend on for regular backups that give me tremendous peace of mind. AFAIK, there is no other utility that does all this:
    (1) allows the bulk download of any number of galleries at once (select from a list populated real time)
    (2) downloads their respective gallery descriptions
    (3) downloads all included images (both true and virtual)
    (4) embeds in those downloaded image files the Keywords* and Captions (IPTC Description)* that I have maintained through the years using the SmugMug editing tools (not in my original upload files)
    (5) preserves my original filenames (no SM prefixes/suffixes).

I hope I never need to, but if necessary, this positions me to be able to easily switch to a different image hosting service.

*Note that the new SmugMug version has added display and maintenance of an additional field that would also need to be embedded in the image metadata: Title.

Thanks!

So still no updates on this program? Anyone want to pitch in to have it updated?
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    wellman wrote: »
    AlbumFetcher is currently dead, given SmugMug's new awesomeness and new API.

It might be easily resurrected by someone who can do some C++ updating. Source code is still available (see first post in thread).
    eek7.gif:cry:cry:cry:cry

It deeply saddens me that such a wonderful tool no longer works with SM. I used this program religiously to backup and compare an upload before deleting the original material. It was so good, it even exceeded SM's own 'download all' feature.

I know there were certain bugs because SM has evolved from the time I started using AF, but it really is a loss to not have this tool anymore. I will have to completely re-think my workflow once I get back to publishing 2000 photos a weekend.

Thank you for the fish. bowdown.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!