Options

Transoxania (Uzbekistan)

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    So when did you say you were leaving for Portugal??

I'm leavng for Portugal in December- I'll try to pry my wife away from her relatives long enough to go someplace interesting (I could do an in depth expose of a Northern Portuguese village, but I'm not sure how far that could go.)

It's a long way off- but until I can make my photography pay the rent, I'm still stuck with three weeks of vacation:cry.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    I just got told that I'll take over responsibility for my companies activities in South America come April.

Now I'm thinkin' Brazil.

Anybody been down there?
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I just got told that I'll take over responsibility for my companies activities in South America come April.

Now I'm thinkin' Brazil.

Anybody been down there?

Yes, from 1974 (when I was born) to 2000... I lived in Sao Paulo (city), but travelled around a bit.

What do you want to know?

If you need an immigration lawyer, I used to skydive with a good one (she takes care of executives from big multinational companies).
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    Hey J - You've been found on smugmug! clap.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey J - You've been found on smugmug! clap.gif

That's cool. It's been there since december and I had no idea. What is that, exactly?
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    padu wrote:
    Yes, from 1974 (when I was born) to 2000... I lived in Sao Paulo (city), but travelled around a bit.

What do you want to know?

If you need an immigration lawyer, I used to skydive with a good one (she takes care of executives from big multinational companies).

I probably won't be going down there until may, but it will likely be Sao Paulo, so I will hit you up for tourism tips!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    That's cool. It's been there since december and I had no idea. What is that, exactly?
    Found on Smugmug? Exactly what it says: cool stuff that the onethumb and the gang find and "highlight" for others in a blog format. It's also linked from the smugmug browse-page (with the popular photos and such).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I probably won't be going down there until may, but it will likely be Sao Paulo, so I will hit you up for tourism tips!

Does this mean that you and I won't be going to Chad this year?

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:

That's my city. Just tell me what type of things you want to see.

Cheers
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Persuant to Smugmug's new partnership with Blurb, I have turned the travelogue into the following photo book.

Is your favorite celebrity the notorious Tamerlane?

Is your father/sister/brother/creepy and possibly serial-killery cousin a huge fan of Turkestani Architecture?

Do you like full color photographs of cool ass places like the Registan of Samarqand?

Does your coffee table cry out for books that make you look intellectual? Would you like to remark to an admiring guest at one of your parties "Oh, that? Yeah, my friend wrote that..." in an offhand way that makes you look totally cool?

Would you like to finance my next camera purchase?

This is the smaller version of my massive 200 page opus. It has the best photos, but lacks the funny stories about Russian frontier guards in mini-skirts and the toilet from hell.

At 80 10x8 pages It is really more "photo" than "essay"- the massive book I am proofing is 200 13x11 pages, and has even more insightful and brilliant commentary, and of course pictures of Misha the farting camel and Dante's Toilet. If you are obscenely wealthy, you should be able to buy the big one at the end of the week, as soon as Ms. Justi finishes checking my appaling spelling.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Persuant to Smugmug's new partnership with Blurb, I have turned the travelogue into the following photo book.

Wow, Ryan, you did spend some time on this, didn't ya? mwink.gifthumb.gifbowdown.gif
    How long did it take you to assemble all this, if you don't mind my asking? I mean the whole thing - coming with the selection, writing texts, laying pages out... headscratch.gif
    And please let us know when you get sales! mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow, Ryan, you did spend some time on this, didn't ya? mwink.gifthumb.gifbowdown.gif
    How long did it take you to assemble all this, if you don't mind my asking? I mean the whole thing - coming with the selection, writing texts, laying pages out... headscratch.gif
    And please let us know when you get sales! mwink.gif

This is the pared down version that people might actually buy. The printing costs of the 200 page mega book is like $99.95 plus shipping. If I throw in $10 profit, it might come out to $140 or so, and I really don't see people plonking down $140 for a random photo book. Although I myself thinks its pretty cool.

I wanted the big book for myself really, as I always like to have "hard" copies of the photos (crahsing hard drives and whatnot) and when you take notes and write up travelogues you remember stuff you normally wouldn't, say, 10 years from now. I still whip out my Burma book I did with mypublisher on occasion.

for the big (200 page book) I started in April. I would guess that I put at least 500 hours into making it, or more. It basically contains the text of the travelogue here plus more stuff that I have written. The bookw ould have been done earlier, but I ahd to halt work for 2 months while blurb unbugged their program (it is still a beta).

The smaller book, the one that I am selling, only took me a week- essentially to edit it down from the original.

The layout is pretty cool. There were a few times where I wished I could design my own layout, but their selection of templates is good, and the setup makes creating a photobook of a few hundred pages pretty quick. Most of the time spent in creating the book was actually devoted to the writing section of it (the big book, that is, the small one has far less writing). I wanted it to be really good, and rewrote a couple of sections.

The design process wans't tough, other than the software issues which blurb seems to have solved. I shoudl recieve my copy of the small book next week, and I will let you know how the quality is.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    This is the pared down version that people might actually buy....
    Thanks, man, appreciate the info. thumb.gif
    500+ hours, wow! Ten 50-hour weeks, so pretty much three months of the full-time work. eek7.gifbowdown.gif On top of that $140 really does not look like much... mwink.gif
    Good luck! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Wow!! I am awed, Ryanclap.gif ......Looking forward to your feedback about the actual printed book.

Great stuff

ann (kicking horse)
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Insane Ryan. So freaking awesome. It was like I was there. The whole toilet part had me laughing out loud at work. It was hilarious !! :D

Awesome shots. I may be apt to pick up your book.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I'll say it again: What an awesome thread! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I've been doing the same for some of my exploring photos but your travels in this part of the world are much more interesting to me!

WTG, man! thumb.gif

(... and for better or worse, I think of you every time I come across a squat toilet)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 18, 2007
    The quality of the blurb books is pretty good. I like them. I think you'll be
    quite pleased.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    Wow.

This and your Burma travelogue are my two favourite ever threads on this forum - wonderfully entertaining text, beautiful photos, and generous advice on what to see, how best to view it, and even what to pay for it!

Good luck with the book sales. I can't wait to see where you explore next.
    clap.gif

I'm off to Uzbekistan myself in May 2008, so I've taken notes! thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:

Ordered! wings.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    clap.gif

Just got my copy! It looks great sitting next to Schmoo's, and I'm looking forward to having a whole Dgrin/Blurb collection on my bookshelf. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Wow, how many sleepless nights did this take? Laughing.gif

Well, this post sure brought some fun memories. I've never been to this part of former CCCP, but knew everything what you wrote. It seems like really nothing changed over there, same people, same style, same everything. Now i really really miss plov, this is by far the best meal they can offer. thumb.gif Shashlik is another yummy treat, though republic of Georgia makes it best! If you ever have a change to visit, definately try theirs.
    Chicks look the same as anywhere else in Russia. Huh, they love to show their legs, miniskirts are always in style rolleyes1.gif
    I'm sure you had a great trip and what a fantastic experience.
    My BIL is in Kazakhstan, he's an archaeologist and been digging there for over 15 years. Another great place to vist, very similar to this one.

Thank you again for a great memory lane. It was awesome to see all the pictures and read all about your fine experience. Hope you'll have more chances to visit this vest and beautiful country. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I doubt I would have seen this journey without the mention of "blurb" over the last few weeks. I'm glad I did. What a facinating trip. Thank you for taking the time to share.

You mentioned photography was prohibited in the airport. I gather taking pictures everywhere else was no problem? No hassles taking street shots in the bazzars and such? Did you travel pretty light, photographicly speaking?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    You mentioned photography was prohibited in the airport. I gather taking pictures everywhere else was no problem? No hassles taking street shots in the bazzars and such? Did you travel pretty light, photographicly speaking?

Hey Stuff,

Photography was unproblematic almost everywhere. With a few notable exceptions- i.e, anything that might be considered a military target.

Before the American intervention in Afghanistan the Taliban use to raid across the border, and tried to set up a nascent taliban like movement in the Fergana valley. (don't let this freak you out- Uzbeks really don't go for the crazy religion stuff, their islam isvery chill).

So no airports, no cops, don't photograph the checkpoints in the mountain passes. Other than that, it is wide open.

I can't recommend it as a destination enough.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Ryan,

I got your book today, finally. It looks fabulous, dahhhhlink! thumb.gif:D
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Ryan,

I got your book today, finally. It looks fabulous, dahhhhlink! thumb.gif:D

Fantastic! I have to say, I am really impressed with these blurb books!
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    OK, quick question. I just finished the long form of the book. I recieved it, all 200 pages, from the printer. Here's the link:

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/677786

So give me an honest opinion. Should I plonk down my $35 and put it in the photography book now competition? And if so, which category should it go in? Editorial?

I am afraid that they won't care for the travelogue type stuff over there, being mor inclined towarda artsy books.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    If it were me, I would. There are some fantastic photos and very good writing to go with. From the description, I'd guess the right category is editorial.

Justiceiro wrote:
    OK, quick question. I just finished the long form of the book. I recieved it, all 200 pages, from the printer. Here's the link:

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/677786

So give me an honest opinion. Should I plonk down my $35 and put it in the photography book now competition? And if so, which category should it go in? Editorial?

I am afraid that they won't care for the travelogue type stuff over there, being mor inclined towarda artsy books.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Doo eet!! I agree, Editorial. I have your book (though it is packed away in storage) and think that if it's not a contender, then I don't know what is.

Or, can you slap some photos into your blog and make that into a book? Pure. Genius. :D
  • Options
    8zil8zil Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    wow, you have some pretty neat candid shots, I loved the ones of the market the most, you know what they say, you haven't really been somewhere unless you have read their newspappers, and been to their markets, great series!!!! I think it was worth the hazzle