Options

Transoxania (Uzbekistan)

124»

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    New and improved! With added ethnic chauvinism!
    I found this guy hotlinking my images from Dgrin:

http://tajikam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3711.0

He even copied the text of the travelogue and presented it as his own. This would be irritating, rather than insulting, if he hadn't decided to "improve" the text by sticking in Tajik nationalist claims. Nice.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 5, 2011
    This is where you use the Smugmug replace function to change all the images to one containing the single message "Stolen Image". Or use some other equally insulting image.

BTW, evidently he's been using your images since 2008.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Just add a watermark ....using your web address as the watermark and include a © statement.......

That sux.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    This is where you use the Smugmug replace function to change all the images to one containing the single message "Stolen Image". Or use some other equally insulting image.

BTW, evidently he's been using your images since 2008.

I had no idea the replace function existed. I just discovered the "referrers" section recently. I am not exactly tech savvy. :(:
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Justiceiro wrote: »
    I found this guy hotlinking my images from Dgrin:

http://tajikam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3711.0

He even copied the text of the travelogue and presented it as his own. This would be irritating, rather than insulting, if he hadn't decided to "improve" the text by sticking in Tajik nationalist claims. Nice.

Wow.

What price fame?

Seriously though that really, really sucks. Can you apply a watermark to everything in your gallery? Those should propagate over the display copies he's posted.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 5, 2011
    When you upload an image to Smugmug and an image of that name already exists in your gallery, the loader gives you the choice of ignoring it, replacing (overwriting), or adding the new version under a different URL. If you choose the replacing option, the old URL will still work for the image. it would take a bit of work on your part to do this, especially if you did it to all your images. It would also mess up the images in this thread of course as well.

Actually, I think Art has the best idea. Just add a watermark to your images and be done with it. It's super easy, and the watermarks will show up on the bad guy's website as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    VanceVance Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2012
    Hi Justicero

Well actually despite the bleak images from your photo essay Nukus is not that bad a place to live. Yes its a desert city and its dusty and yes it needs a lot more money to bring up the city once again to the beautiful place it once was. So much negative rubbish has been written about it that it really pisses me off . The real Nuklus has had a lot of redevelopment in recent years particularly in the centre and its most certainly not all doom and gloom. The block of flats you show by the way is definetly not abandoned (I have some of my wifes family living there) and if you go inside those flats you would be amazed just how nice they are.

Want to see a more positive image of Karakalpakstan and Western Uzbekistan go to my blog http://karakalpak-karakalpakstan.blogspot.com.au/

Regards,

Vance
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    Vance wrote: »
    Hi Justicero

Well actually despite the bleak images from your photo essay Nukus is not that bad a place to live. Yes its a desert city and its dusty and yes it needs a lot more money to bring up the city once again to the beautiful place it once was. So much negative rubbish has been written about it that it really pisses me off .

Thanks for the comment Vance. Unfortunately, I think you would have to be, shall we say, over-charitable to describe Nukus as anything other than bleak. It is, in fact, pretty bleak. Not that this means it isn't worth visiting. I would certainly hope that someone reading my post would be encouraged rather than discouraged from visiting (on a side note, A friend of mine went there on my recommendation and enjoyed herself as much as I did). The bleakness is in no way a turnoff.
    The real Nuklus has had a lot of redevelopment in recent years particularly in the centre and its most certainly not all doom and gloom.

The best parts about Nukus, to my mind, were the incredible hospitality of the locals and the world-class art museum. Bearing in mind that my trip was some 5 years ago, it is certainly possible that a tourist infrastructure has been developed. I rather doubt it, but then again, I went some time ago (and wrote the posts immediately thereafter). It would do Nukus a disservice to pretend that the situation there is other than it is. I went with no expectations, and was not disappointed. Were I to lead people to believe that the hotels there were anything approaching even two star, this would be deceitful. My feeling is that one should underpromise, and overdeliver.

That being said, I hope that no readers would take away the idea that I would recommend against visiting Nukus. Quite the opposite. But it is what it is.