*Challenge 29, Snappy

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited January 10, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just grabbed this shot while we were all at the park yesterday. I wish I knew a way to get both hand and boy in focus. I guess that would have to be done in photoshop. But, this was fun for the grandkids too. They got a big kick out of it.

How tall is my grandson?
13587306-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Another "boy in my hand"
    My other grandson
    13587309-L.jpg
    edited January 2, 2005
    Not first person
    This one is not "First person" but the boys got into the idea and wanted to try this. They had so much fun.
    13587301-L.jpg
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Snappy, that is kind of cool, however, there is always next week.

Just wanted to mention that Andy's hand wasn't in focus with the moon shot, not that I remember. I think some of these people have gone way beyond Andy. Of course, reaching for the moon is a worthy goal. Especially when you are Andy Williams and your photography is Moon River.
    And your little boy adores the whole thing.
    In the poker shot, that is different, and only one hand, too. All these other people are doing both hands.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Hi Snappy!
    Great ideas. I really love the third one - works perfectly!.
    You're probably right that it isn't 1st person, but it is still a really great shot. :D

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    Wonderful ideas. Not being 1st person, but I also like the 3rd one best. Quite a weightlifter. thumb.gif
    Getting both the hand and kids sharp would have been a whole lot of work while shooting and I guess it's very hard to get this looking good in PS.

Bye,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    3rd shot with your hand under the fg little guythumb.gif
    edited January 2, 2005
    Thanks all...
    MHJS wrote:
    3rd shot with your hand under the fg little guythumb.gif
    Good idea MHJS. I can still try that.

Thanks for stopping by, Ginger, Kate, Sebastian. I'm glad you enjoyed my shots. My son took one of a boy in his hand. His hand was not blurry. He said he just had the camera on "program". I think my arm is too short.rolleyes1.gif

I'll have more time to work on this next week. I have a few ideas for first person shots. I've just been so busy with family visiting this week. We had a good time with this one though. Thanks again for your kind comments.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Hi snappy.. happy and healthy new year!

Looks like a funday with the kids! did you try using the auto timer on your camera? might work for this one.. just a thought...:D
    edited January 3, 2005
    Hi Lynn
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi snappy.. happy and healthy new year!

Looks like a funday with the kids! did you try using the auto timer on your camera? might work for this one.. just a thought...:D
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did not have my tripod with me, so no autotimer. I have one more day with the kids before they head for home. Maybe I can try this idea in another location. I'm not sure how you meant to use the timer. It's real hard to line up the two people exactly, so I don't know how to do it with the timer. If I put my hand out there far enough to be in focus there will be no one behind the camera to see if I'm lined up.eek7.gif
    edited January 3, 2005
    Another idea
    Special memories to treasure
    13675679-L.jpg
    edited January 3, 2005
    And yet another idea...
    Check! - January 3, 2005
    13675678-L.jpg
    edited January 3, 2005
    I actually like the holiday one best, Snappy, and I don't like holiday photos for contests, but in this case, there is something nice about the way your hand is turned.

I would use that direction for your hand, I just like it better. And I like the ornament, smile.

ginger
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Checkmate - January 3, 2005
    13675678-S.jpg

For the record, this is only Check. By moving the rook forward the check can be blocked...

:D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    nice work, snappy. you could also enter these types of shots (the kids) in our "illusions" challenge which we'll be having in the spring time :D

i dig the chess game, too...

keep up the good work!
    edited January 3, 2005
    You're right Greaper
    GREAPER wrote:
    For the record, this is only Check. By moving the rook forward the check can be blocked...

I noticed that as I was posting the shot. I was hoping no one would notice before I had a chance to set it up again. But, then I *knew* one of you guys would be on the ball. I'll have to retitle this "Check". rolleyes1.gif

My grandsons are in a chess club. They have been playing chess for a year or so. They just turned 8 in December. They can beat the pants off me. Deven was playing some chess games on the computer today. He beat one guy, but he had to concede when he tried to play Bobby Fisher.:D

Thanks for the comment. I'll reshoot this one.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    It's a very nice shot regardless and a great idea...

Just change the title to "Check". I like the shot a lot.

I will say that I think Lynnma is going to be tough to beat.
    edited January 3, 2005
    Thanks Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I actually like the holiday one best, Snappy, and I don't like holiday photos for contests, but in this case, there is something nice about the way your hand is turned.

I would use that direction for your hand, I just like it better. And I like the ornament, smile.

ginger
    I didn't have high hopes for that one. With the bright white tissue paper, I was worried about blowing out the white. But, it actually turned out pretty well. I think it needs something though. It seems a little plain.
    edited January 3, 2005
    Right again Greaper,
    GREAPER wrote:
    It's a very nice shot regardless and a great idea...

Just change the title to "Check". I like the shot a lot.

I will say that I think Lynnma is going to be tough to beat.
    I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something that can equal Lynma's great shot. Gonna have to st-r-e-a-t-c-h again. :D I got my work cut out for me this week.
    edited January 3, 2005
    Hey Andy,
    andy wrote:
    nice work, snappy. you could also enter these types of shots (the kids) in our "illusions" challenge which we'll be having in the spring time :D

i dig the chess game, too...

keep up the good work!
    Thanks! I'll be looking forward to the illusions challenge. I hope my grandkids are around at the time. If not, I'll have to find some other subjects.

Glad you liked the chess game. I would enter that, but I don't think it would be a winner. Hmmm, need something with some real sizzle. ???

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate it.
    edited January 4, 2005
    Family visits - it's all about the food!
    I did say sizzle didn't I? Meatballs! Mmmmm - January 4, 2005
    13701387-L.jpg
    edited January 4, 2005
    The pasta!
    Ravioli. Mmmmm. - January 4, 2005
    13700770-L.jpg
    edited January 5, 2005
    I would say the chess, even though I like these better. I don't like them enough better that they tug at my heartstrings. Kind of sterile actually for a family gathering.

Now that just may be me, so listen for chatter. I really liked that family kitchen shot from Nir, I think, it made the finals, but it didn't win or get many votes....might not have made the finals. I could be on left field here.

But the chess seems to have pulled people in, could you play with it a bit, come in tighter maybe, play with the focus.

Sorry if that goes beyond anything I should say, if it does, please disregard, as the judge tells the jury.

ginger

I want to eat something. Am not hungry, just want to eat. I love the spaghetti and the pasta, technically I think they are superb.

I just saw the chess again, I know what bothers me, and everyone else loves it, it is once again the sterility. The white wall distracts me.
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I like this one the best so far. It is simple, not too much going on, but still tells a story. Great job!
    snapapple wrote:
    Special memories to treasure
    13675679-L.jpg
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I like the ornament the best. I had the same idea while putting away Christmas.
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 7, 2005
    What do you think about this one?
    "Blood Orange" Juice
    13845819-L.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    "Blood Orange" Juice
    Hi snappy.. this one is very colorful, I like the ornament, I liked the chess but I think it needed another person as the "other player".. I'm having a hard time with this challenge.. all feels contrived and sterile to me.. I'm struggling with it, nearly pulled my entry completely and then thought.. what the heck. I'ts a great learning tool is'nt it.. being pushed like this. I love it really even if it does drive me to distraction, as It does you too rolleyes1.gif
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Snappy,

I like the oranges and the ornament... can't decide between the two.
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    I like the ornament still, but I like the oranges too...I can't decide!
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 7, 2005
    Thanks guys, I think...
    Lynn, Cletus, Laurie, thanks - I can't decide either. So far my thinking goes like this: The ornament has good focus and good light. The French ornament and tag sort of tell the story. I used window light and spent a couple minutes on the shot. I like it a lot for it's simplicity, great detail, and great light.

The orange juice shot, on the other hand, took hours to shoot. I set up white poster board on the kitchen table. Used pole lamps in addition to the kitchen lighting. Used the flash set on a low level. I shot the thing every which way from Sunday. The time is a big factor in my mind and, of course, colors my thinking. mwink.gif

But, back to the picture... The most important thing, I think, is the "first person" aspect. It really shows me doing something. It catches the action. The composition seems good. It's clean and simple. The repitition of the oranges is a good thing. I caught the motion of the juicer. I caught the juice going into the glass. (some tries had no juice flowing) I got lots of nice bubbles in the glass of juice. The lighting is good. There is just a lot more to this shot than the ornament shot. (but is it too much?) When I moved the cut orange, it left two drips on the white-board. At first I was bothered by this, but later I decided that it made the shot a little less sterile. A like it for it's bright, crisp, colorful look and the life shown in the action going on.
    For now, I picked the oranges because it's a more unique entry. Great reason, huh? eek7.gif

This challenge has really been tough. I know we've all been wracking our brains for ideas. It's the first time I've used a "studio" set-up. A great learning experience. St-r-e-a-c-h-e-d again!! I've put in all the time I can spare on this. I do have a day job, too. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks again for your input. If you have any other nits about either shot, please let me know.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:

yep, and you're going to have to get that other rook in the game to knock out some of the pawns to mate.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson