Options

My first week as a studio photographer

2»

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    ...another issue is how to trigger them from my Canon 30D DSLR (without a PCconnection)

I have been reading about the radio slaves and prefer to be all wireless and be able to control when the strobes flash, not wondering if an IR transmitter is within range to do it...I have never used these and don't know where to look for the the equipment that will all work together. If anyone can give me some expert advice or tips I'd appreciate it.
    From what I hear, PocketWizards (PWs) are the "Cadillac" of wireless controllers ... at a little under $200 per unit (ouch). Some day, maybe I'll end up with PWs...

In the meantime, I've been pretty happy with a much more reasonable-cost option, the YHDC-B 4-channel wireless system (such as this eBay listing). I have two pairs of receivers/transmitters and they've worked well. I've used this wireless system on a 20D with 2 or 3 remote strobes. Unlike my 580EX/420EX (which uses infrared), these use radio frequencies so are not limited to line-of-sight.

I use one transmitter in the hot-shoe socket of the 20D, and carry the other one in my pocket to manually trigger the flashes when I'm metering them. The receivers run on AA batteries, which is nice because they're available anywhere, in case I forget to bring spares. (some others run on AAA or more exotic batteries)

I've even used the receivers to trigger remote shoe-mount flashes (flashing in manual mode) using an adapter. I've done this with a 420EX and it worked fine.

(actually, I'll be listing these wireless units in the DGrin Flea Market as soon as I get around to it, because I'm planning to switch to a 16-channel system with 100' range instead of 30' ... probably ask $17 per xmit/recv pair or $32 for both pair, free shipping... as in, if you see this you might be able grab them even before I have a chance to post them for sale mwink.gif).
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...