Canon 70-200L f/2.8 focus issues

2»

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    hesaias wrote:
    My UV is a Cokin U.V.0

I may try shooting with it off. I am having focus issues with still shots too, and that may be the issue.

I haven't liked it for stills. It's really there for objects that are in motion. It allows the camera to continually track that object. You have to remember it only works in continuous servo AF mode. If you are doing portraits or stills you're better off setting the camera to single servo AF. The camera should only fire when the subject is in focus at that setting.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    The first picture seems a bit soft but the second one doesn't look OOF to me. The problem seems to be JPEG compression (at least with what got posted) and chroma noise. Are you shooting RAW or JPG?

You could have a bad copy. The quality of your pictures look similar to what I would get with a cheap lens and a highly cropped JPG.

I have the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and haven't had problems with soccer (of course that's outside in bright conditions). I'll check out low-light and see if I get a similar problem. I use the 20D.

When I shoot sports I hardly ever go to servo and let the camera track focus. I usually prefocus or I'll use one-shot AF and repeatedly press the focus button as I track the subject until I get to the spot where I want the shot. I find this is more accurate.

Erich
  • KSuchyKSuchy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2007
    lighting
    have you had the same problem in different gyms? I have found that the type of gym lighting can make a difference. The closer you are to the floor the better. Even though you have a good lens you may be getting different noise levels from the lights.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    sure u can
    underexpose, shoot in RAW and recover EV in PP
    Sorry, lost track of the thread, randy.

You can do what you suggest. But you'll introduce a horrible amount of noise.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au