Options

Canon Rebate Shady Behaviour

Comments

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    the UPC codes are showing as invalid because people don't know that the codes are 12 digits..NOT 10! You have to get all 10 larger bold number, AND the two number on each end of the UPC that are small and not bold.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    the UPC codes are showing as invalid because people don't know that the codes are 12 digits..NOT 10! You have to get all 10 larger bold number, AND the two number on each end of the UPC that are small and not bold.

I did that... and still came up invalid when they processed it! They guy on the phone spent less than five seconds looking at what I submitted and approved everything. :-)
  • Options
    surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    I did that... and still came up invalid when they processed it! They guy on the phone spent less than five seconds looking at what I submitted and approved everything. :-)

Yeah...I got some big holes in my boxes. If it was a bar code I cut the whole thing out so there would be no issue.

I am moving to Canada and I hope this gets resolved in the next two weeks
    I am not exactly an optimist
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    If you can get the canon rebate. And trust me-- you'll be fighting for this one. They have a company called Young America handling their rebates this time around and they're notorious for "keying errors" and losing your UPC codes and telling you your paperwork was wrong and anything else to get out of issuing you your rebate.

It's so bad, several state attorney generals (Mass. & Iowa) are suing them over their fraudulent rebate process.

Yeah, I've gotten previous Canon rebates no problem-- this time 'round I've been through the ringer :cry (they owe me $800 but decided I was only eligible for $50-- until I called them and they miraculously "found" the missing UPC codes they claimed I hadn't sent). eek7.gif

The Canon forums over on dpreview are full of similar (and worse) tales about this particular rebate. So what I'm saying is-- don't factor the rebate into your total cost. Even if you qualify and follow the steps EXACTLY-- you still may never get it.

I just got my rebate check for $50.00! I was supposed to get $120.00. I emailed canon support, and they told me to contact the company that sold me the products! (B&H) Or try mailing the address on the rebate form.
    I'm really losing my patience with canon! :bash
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    How to get a rebate
    Want to get your rebate in a hurry? Send this letter. You'll get your rebate immediately. Don't forget the CCs at the end.

Regards,
    -joel

CERTIFIED MAIL
    Return Receipt Requested

ATTENTION: Rebate Processing Department
    Company Name
    Address
    City, State, Zip

RE: Failure To Receive Rebate by Offer Date

(Date)

To Whom It May Concern:

I purchased a (product details), on (date) at (store) in (city and state). My decision to purchase this product was based upon your offer of a mail-in rebate of $_____ ("offer"). My purchase of the product constituted my acceptance ("acceptance") of your offer, creating a binding and enforceable contract between us.

I have performed my obligations under the contract. I paid the full purchase price and then proceeded to fill in the rebate form provided by you. I included all information requested to process my rebate, but to date I have not received a check in the amount of $____.

I respectfully request you process payment and mail it to me at the address indicated within 30 days. I have re-attached all information originally sent for your convenience.

If I do not receive payment in full by (date 30 days from mailing), I will begin legal proceedings against you and will file complaint reports with the Federal Trade Commission, the Attorneys General of the states of (your state) and (the company's state), as well as selected consumer advocacy publications and local and state consumer affairs departments.

I am sending copies of this letter to these agencies and organizations to encourage your compliance. I am also filing a report with ConsumerAffairs.Com for inclusion on their Web site.

Thank you for your prompt attention and resolution of this matter.

Sincerely,

(signature)

(Your name typed)

cc:

Federal Trade Commission
    6th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20580

Hon. (name of Attorney General)
    Attorney General, State of (state)
    (address)

Hon. (name of Attorney General)
    Attorney General, State of (state)
    (address)

[source]
    http://www.ConsumerAffairs.Com
    11400 West Olympic Boulevard, Suite 200
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    Y'all, this thread might read a little wonky - we had two concurrent rebate discussions so I merged them, probably should have done it sooner, I apologize for the wonkiness.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Want to get your rebate in a hurry? Send this letter. You'll get your rebate immediately. Don't forget the CCs at the end.

Looks good! Thanks, Joel. Should I send that to Young America or to Canon?

Of course, I'm hoping I won't have to, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared :D
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Options
    XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Wanted a paper trail so I emailed my rebate question to here CareCenter at cits dot canon dot com.

Got a reply which didn't answer my question so I replied back on Monday. Today I got a email from someone else who told me to fax the info to him. So I'm making progress, I think. rolleyes1.gif
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 12, 2007
    El Kiwi wrote:
    Looks good! Thanks, Joel. Should I send that to Young America or to Canon?
    I would send it to whomever you sent the rebate form to. If that's Young America, so be it. I would also copy Canon Headquarters on it. Not sure which address. If the rebate company claims to be missing information that you know you've sent, don't even bother responding to them. Just send out the letter and indicate that you have proof that you've complied with the terms of the agreement.

The reason I showed this letter in this thread is because of a story I read in another forum. There's a guy who runs purchasing for a large company and they buy all their IT equipment under rebates. They have a computer program that tracks their rebates, and the minute the rebate becomes overdue, they automatically generate this letter and send it out to the long list of consumer protection groups that were listed. They give the rebate company zero slack, and apparently they have a 100% success record in receiving their rebates. Evidently there's a maximum amount of time a company has to honor the rebate. I don't know if that's government mandated, or listed in the fine print on the rebate. So you would probably want that information as well. This strategy does work. On the other hand, if you calculated how many hours you'd have to put into chasing your rebate, you'd probably find that you'd be making minimum wage. That's exactly what these slimey rebate companies are banking on. They've been the subject of numerous investigations, and somehow always come out unscathed. :bluduh But they are skating on very thin ice.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    On the other hand, if you calculated how many hours you'd have to put into chasing your rebate, you'd probably find that you'd be making minimum wage.

Well, my rebate is substantial, so I'm hoping I can make more than McDonalds wages! I also think the zero-tolerance policy is the way to go, I'll let y'all know how I get on. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Maybe I'm just lucky. Or, maybe I'm speaking a little too early. But, I just got e-mail confirmation that the check is on it's way.clap.gif

I checked the rebate site and it also says the check is on it's way.clap.gif

And, what they say is the value of the check is exactly what it's supposed to be.clap.gif

The e-mail did say that I should allow 6-8 weeks for final processing (what ever that might be)headscratch.gif. So, there's still room for it to fall over but I'm getting more and more hopeful!
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Maybe I'm just lucky. Or, maybe I'm speaking a little too early. But, I just got e-mail confirmation that the check is on it's way.clap.gif

I checked the rebate site and it also says the check is on it's way.clap.gif

And, what they say is the value of the check is exactly what it's supposed to be.clap.gif

The e-mail did say that I should allow 6-8 weeks for final processing (what ever that might be)headscratch.gif. So, there's still room for it to fall over but I'm getting more and more hopeful!

Scott ~
    When did you mail it in?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    XHawkeye wrote:
    Wanted a paper trail so I emailed my rebate question to here CareCenter at cits dot canon dot com.

Got a reply which didn't answer my question so I replied back on Monday. Today I got a email from someone else who told me to fax the info to him. So I'm making progress, I think. rolleyes1.gif

Got an email Monday saying my rebate check was in the mail. YA lost my rebate. Took 3 weeks from the first email for Canon to approve the rebate.
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    An update...
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Scott ~
    When did you mail it in?

IIRC, I mailed in the rebate stuff in the middle of Dec '06.

I got the check (for the correct amount) in the mail two days ago. It's off to the bank with me later today!!
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    I have not been having much luck with Canon! I bought a 70-200L 2.8 and a 430EX flash. My rebate should have been $120. I got a check for $50 with no explanation why the rest of my rebate claim was rejected. I emailed Canon from "support" on their promotions page. They told me it had nothing to do with them and contact the store I purchased it from, or contact the address on the rebate form. So I sent the $50 check back with a note asking for the complete amount. I recently got another check for $70 headscratch.gif

Not quite sure how they are doing the math over there! Maybe they should use the rebate calculator on their website!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    I've read this entire thread (I guess both of them!), and you know what? I'm really surprised someone didn't just say Bork this, see ya in court and sue their butts off.

Personally I would have. One guy mentioned $500? You follow the instructions to the letter, and they make up some thing to not pay you? I consider this fraud myself.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    I have not been having much luck with Canon! I bought a 70-200L 2.8 and a 430EX flash. My rebate should have been $120. I got a check for $50 with no explanation why the rest of my rebate claim was rejected. I emailed Canon from "support" on their promotions page. They told me it had nothing to do with them and contact the store I purchased it from, or contact the address on the rebate form. So I sent the $50 check back with a note asking for the complete amount. I recently got another check for $70 headscratch.gif

Not quite sure how they are doing the math over there! Maybe they should use the rebate calculator on their website!

What email did you use?

My steps
    Sent an "email" via the Canon website. YA "lost" my rebate and wanted to deal with Canon not YA.

Got an email telling me to email my question to carecenter at cits dot canon dot com

8 days later got another email from a person asking me to send/fax/email my rebate stuff.

10 days later got an email saying my rebate had been approved.

7 days later my check arrived.
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    How it works
    I have most always had success with rebates. The way it makes sense for the company is that not everyone who could, sends them back. This way they encourage sales, but play the odds. They usually make the paper work somewhat tedious to discourage you.

The one company who does it right is Staples. They have a rebate site where you just enter the code number on the sales receipt and your name etc. This works seamlessly. Unfortunately they dont sell higher level camera equipment.....

Keep copies or scans of all papers and see what you get back.

Good luck rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dups41dups41 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Canon rebate hassles...
    Hi everyone,

I am interested to hear people's experiences with Canon rebates.

In mid December I submitted a fall rebate for a 5D and 17-40 f/4. The total rebate amount comes to $695. Today, exactly two months later, I received a card stating that my rebate has been declined because I submitted an invalid UPC. I have copies of everything I sent in, but I expect that simply resubmitting is not going to help. They want me to submit valid UPC but both boxes have nothing empty space where the UPCs were cut out to be sent in with the original submission.

And this is after I received an email three weeks ago stating
    Thank you for participating in the Cash in with Canon Promotion. We have processed your submission. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive your award.

Any suggestions?

If you have sent in a Canon rebate for the current or previous promotions please vote in the poll and let us see what the overall result looks like.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edit: oops, cannot add the poll after my post was merged into the appropriate thread...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I have had this very same problem with: computer diskette, hardware, cd, dvd, sporting goods,...it seems that there is an equation that says every so many people get denied and reject their rebates and really I don't think there is a way to fight it....if they say there was no UPC lables (that has been the reason for all my denials) what can you do.....

I truly understand your angst.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Your in America right?!!! surely you can just threaten to sue them? a $50 lawyers letter should get them going.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Well, I called Canon / Young America this morning to find out just what was wrong with the UPCs I sent in. It took them a few minutes to check the scans of my submission (or at least tell me they were doing so and go have a cigarette) and discover everything was in fact ok. They say a check will be in the mail in around four weeks. Sounds good as long as they don't dream up some other excuse and then claim that it is too late because the March 15 submission date has gone by.
    Stustaff wrote:
    Your in America right?!!! surely you can just threaten to sue them? a $50 lawyers letter should get them going.

thumb.gif Indeed, next step if they come up with any more bogus invalidations.
  • Options
    RedHat30DRedHat30D Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2007
    I'm curious if you did the online... pre-submission... sign-up thing for your rebate before you mailed it in. Sigh....after reading this thread, I guess I am hoping that I will have an easier time with the rebate. I took pictures of the UPC codes and everything that was going into the envelope (next to the addressed envelope) and mailed it certified w/return receipt. A girl can't do much more than that........
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    RedHat30D wrote:
    I'm curious if you did the online... pre-submission... sign-up thing for your rebate before you mailed it in. Sigh....after reading this thread, I guess I am hoping that I will have an easier time with the rebate. I took pictures of the UPC codes and everything that was going into the envelope (next to the addressed envelope) and mailed it certified w/return receipt. A girl can't do much more than that........

I did use the online submission, although the status of my rebate on their web site hasn't budged from "Awaiting your mailed submission."
  • Options
    oriskyorisky Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2007

I think what might have happened is that they split the processing of your rebates to each item. So maybe one item is a $25 rebates (x2) and the other is $35 (x2)?

Looks like that's what they're doing with mine, $300 x2 and other lenses totaling $240. Though I'm having issues too like everyone else. :bash
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    dups41 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am interested to hear people's experiences with Canon rebates.

In mid December I submitted a fall rebate for a 5D and 17-40 f/4. The total rebate amount comes to $695. Today, exactly two months later, I received a card stating that my rebate has been declined because I submitted an invalid UPC. I have copies of everything I sent in, but I expect that simply resubmitting is not going to help. They want me to submit valid UPC but both boxes have nothing empty space where the UPCs were cut out to be sent in with the original submission.

And this is after I received an email three weeks ago stating

Any suggestions?

If you have sent in a Canon rebate for the current or previous promotions please vote in the poll and let us see what the overall result looks like.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edit: oops, cannot add the poll after my post was merged into the appropriate thread...
    EXACT same issue I'm having. email says everything is dandy. Then check the website and it says invalid UPC. I'm expecting the denial card any day now. I have a call into Canon Support's rebate center. Someone from Canon is supposed to call me in 24-48hrs....it's been about 30 :pissed

Unfortunately this is not surprising to me given that every Canon photography forum has multiple threads on this BS rebate program. I really hope YA goes down for this as well as whoever at Canon made the decision to go with YA.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    dups41 wrote:
    I did use the online submission, although the status of my rebate on their web site hasn't budged from "Awaiting your mailed submission."

I actually have 2 - the one I did online and then the one that was mailed in. The online has the 'awaiting' status. The other is approved (for the last 4 weeks) I'm giving them til March 1, which is 8 weeks after they acknowledge receiving it.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    So I called Canon today to ask about the rebate since I got the infamous non-compliance notice. I told them I have photocopies of everything deal.gifThey asked me some information, then asked me to hold (about 3-5 minutes). then they said that everything was fine and my rebates checks were approved. I'm still abit skeptical so I'll contain my excitement until the checks arrive.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I have 3 rebates turned in (poor planning or they'd all been done together) and the first one shows that the check is being "processed" and I got an email saying that they have mailed it. So we will see, in 2-3 weeks if it is true or not. (I had prefiled on all my rebates.)
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    So I turned in my rebate for my 5D and two lenses, $680 total with the double rebate offer. I followed all the instructions in this thread, pre-approved the rebate and took photos of everything I sent so I have a good audit trail. I sent it registered mail so I have evidence that USPS delivered it.

It showed up as awaiting the mailed submission for about 2 weeks after that, then I had an email exchange with a Canon rep where he told me that I should call. I didn't have time, but mysteriously it then showed up as received right afterwards. Of course they granted the $80 from the two lenses, but declined the $600 from the camera for "invalid upc".

I just rang them now, first the woman told me she couldn't do it until I received the card in the mail, then she said she couldn't do it until they had sent it out. I pointed out that the website said the card had been sent, so she said she would try but wouldn't be able to tell if it had worked. I told her that was the most ridiculous thing I'd heard all day, and suddenly she said that it had in fact worked and that I'll have my cheque in 10 days. We'll see.

Seriously, it's impossible not to see this as a deliberate policy decision on Canon's part. All the problems are too consistent, and much as I'm loath to say that no company can be this incompetent, well, no company can be this incompetent.