VENDOR / DEAL: Get i2e at HUGE discount

Comments

• mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Frank just confirmed what you just said

"ICC profiling is only in the Pro version"

So I guess the issue is that ICC profiling isn't embedded IN the i2e software, so its not a factor in the processing? That means if I use other software to attach ICC data into the photo, it might change how the picture looks, forcing me to enhance manually?

Am I getting this right?

If you are printing to the costco printer I'd say the risk is minimal (why not try a sample image or 2?) If you are printing to a local inkjet with a variety of papers (glossy, matte, fine art, etc.) then the risk of color discrepancy is higher. I don't think you need to worry about it, but, like I said, try a few sample prints and make sure you are happy w/ the output.
  • TheDuckTheDuck Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    After playing around a little with i2e, I can report that it is VERY easy to use and produces GREAT results! Before I register, I wonder if Andy or anyone can comment on i2e vs. Lightroom. I haven't yet got around to looking at Lightroom, but from the brief things I've seen it looks like LR could replace the "develop" functions of i2e or DxO, while adding significant workflow benefits. At the same time, I've seen comments that LR can be slooooww on various systems, and since I really like i2e's speed compared with DxO then maybe LR won't be one-stop-shopping for all images.

Anyway, Andy published a review in Jan '06, and I wonder what thoughts are avail on LR vs i2e - do I need both, or do they overlap enough I should pick one of them? http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1109600

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    TheDuck wrote:
    I wonder if Andy or anyone can comment on i2e vs. Lightroom.

Lightroom can do more and is sleeker, sexier than i2e. I love Lightroom, and use it for many jobs. I wouldn't give up either. With such a great deal on i2e, why not have both?

i2e excels at rapid fast color correction that is really good.
    edited March 3, 2007
    My (pre-cafeinated) thoughts...
    TheDuck wrote:
    After playing around a little with i2e, I can report that it is VERY easy to use and produces GREAT results! Before I register, I wonder if Andy or anyone can comment on i2e vs. Lightroom. I haven't yet got around to looking at Lightroom, but from the brief things I've seen it looks like LR could replace the "develop" functions of i2e or DxO, while adding significant workflow benefits. At the same time, I've seen comments that LR can be slooooww on various systems, and since I really like i2e's speed compared with DxO then maybe LR won't be one-stop-shopping for all images.

Anyway, Andy published a review in Jan '06, and I wonder what thoughts are avail on LR vs i2e - do I need both, or do they overlap enough I should pick one of them? http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1109600

Be seeing you,
    The Duck

Hi Duck,

First question -- what do you want to use it for? i2e is great for big batches of pictures that you don't want to mess around w/ individually. LR allows a lot of control -- if you have many images w/ the same lighting, etc. you can apply the same settings to large batches, but there is no per image recalculation of the best changes for the image. If you are doing work that you want to publish/sell/hang on a wall (i.e. detailed work on one image at a time) I'd suggest LR (or probably CS2/CS3.)

I've got both (but I did get LR for free as a purchaser of RSP). For me, I find that the closer I get the image the way I want it, the better results I get from i2e. If there is no tricky lighting or color situation, i2e does a great job of handling the RAW files that I feed it. But sometimes it guesses wrong. I could probably fix most of the issues w/ i2e, but I'm more comfortable using LR (been doing the beta for awhile.)

Features in LR that I miss in i2e:
    • crop feature (don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the crop tool implementation in LR, but i2e doesn't seem to have any crop tool)
      • FastStone can do this for free and easier than LR
    • i2edoes not support red-eye removal
      • FastStone can do this for free and easier than LR
    • better control of tonality via histogram
    • sensor dust removal
    • "intuitive" control of fill light (for me at least)
    • vibrance control
    • basically, its just more tuned for individual detailed control
    • LR also has slideshow features, web tools and printer tools [haven't used them]
    I'm also not clear on how color management aware i2e is -- either for profiled monitors or for printer profiles -- it seems to vary by product level.

With all the interruptions and length of time its taken me to type this, I'm sure someone else has responded and probably in more depth :-)
    edited March 3, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    not grinning?

What's up with not grinning? Something we can do to help ear.gif
  • TheDuckTheDuck Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    i2e better deal than advertised!
    mkress65 wrote:
    what do you want to use it for? i2e is great for big batches of pictures that you don't want to mess around w/ individually.

Thanks for the detailed comments! Your (and Andy's) descriptions of i2e's strengths are exactly why I was looking to supplement DxO, and why I may use it even if I also decide to get LR (why am I spending so much money on software instead of more lenses?? headscratch.gif). My youngest son plays baseball April-October and I shoot the games for fun. I got tired of the amount of time it took to process all the games through DxO and upload to SM (I *hate* async speeds from Comcast!). DxO results are great, but take up to 1.5 minutes per photo to process - ouch.

I probably only needed the std i2e, but went with pro to be able to save various settings (baseball games vs. indoor school events, etc.)

BTW, Andy announced the deal as $150 instead of $600 - but if you look at i2e's normal registration page, the normal cost is 600euros or $780...that $150 price is $180 better than the already great deal expected wings.gifivar. Hopefully Mrs. Duck will look at the amount NOT paid as much as the amount PAID!

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    If I wait for my 20 day trial to end, am I risking losing out on this deal?

How long can we expect this to last?
    edited March 3, 2007
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    If I wait for my 20 day trial to end, am I risking losing out on this deal?

How long can we expect this to last?
    Long enough thumb.gif

I wouldn't worry.
  • gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Is there any type of forum for this software? An area users could compare outcomes, and different settings for different situations would be very helpful.
    For instance, Andy's recommended settings are good on some prints, I have other channels I like better on others.
    Thanks
    Gary
    edited March 5, 2007
    gchappel wrote:
    Is there any type of forum for this software? An area users could compare outcomes, and different settings for different situations would be very helpful.
    For instance, Andy's recommended settings are good on some prints, I have other channels I like better on others.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Sure, make a post in our Finishing School :)

i2e does not have a forum of their own. I'd LOVE to see your thoughts!
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    gchappel wrote:
    Thanks
    Gary
    Great idea, Gary! (I was thinking of that myself:D). I've only tried i2e with one batch of informal portraits (think I used Andy's settings?) and it came out very contrasty and way too sharp for that application. I set it aside until I had more time rolleyes1.gifto experiment. A "user" thread on this would be very helpful, as I don't know beans about the program, and their "manual" is bare bones to say the least.
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

edited March 9, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Great idea, Gary! (I was thinking of that myself:D). I've only tried i2e with one batch of informal portraits (think I used Andy's settings?) and it came out very contrasty and way too sharp for that application. I set it aside until I had more time rolleyes1.gifto experiment. A "user" thread on this would be very helpful, as I don't know beans about the program, and their "manual" is bare bones to say the least.
    Post in Finishing School right here on Dgrin deal.gif
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Woot! Awesome Program, Finally picked it up!
    loving it!

Thanks again Andy and Colour Science!
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I am impressed-and I think I even sold my husband on it!
    I downloaded the trial and have been very impressed with how some of my pics are looking after using the default channels to just play around. I haven't even gotten to tweaking them myself-but I showed my DH one of the really dark photos from my nephew's christening (I hate church lighting sometimes!) but it looked amazing!

My one question, and I read the thread but forgive me for still being a bit confused about the actually printing of these photos. If I make an adjustment, then save that image, and print it from home (I have a canon pixma 6600) will it print like I think it will? what about if I order it from an online print place or take to be printed? Is there anything fancy I would have to do or is it really as simple as saving the file with a new name (I always preserve the originals!)

I want to play around some more to try out different features and go look at their site documentation a little more to see dif between standard and pro but my DH already said "get it" so it will be in my near future!

Thanks!!
    edited March 20, 2007
    swcolleen wrote:
    <snip>
    If I make an adjustment, then save that image, and print it from home (I have a canon pixma 6600) will it print like I think it will? what about if I order it from an online print place or take to be printed? Is there anything fancy I would have to do or is it really as simple as saving the file with a new name (I always preserve the originals!) <snip>

Your prints should look just like any other application you use to print -- you can always open the resulting jpeg in the other application you use to print and print from there just to double check.

Since SmugMug has EZprints use i2e by default when you send them files to print, you'd want to make sure that you have selected "True Color" rather than "auto color" to prevent i2e from trying to improve it again. The second time through actually has a pretty substatial negative impact on the image -- at least it does for me.

For any other online photoprinting site, I have no idea if they optimize or not. I do know that Zenfolio, who also uses EZprints as one of their providers, does NOT have EZprints default to using i2e, so it sounds like its pretty much based on which service you pick. You can always ask before you send the prints to them.
    edited March 20, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    I do know that Zenfolio, who also uses EZprints as one of their providers, does NOT have EZprints default to using i2e,

Yeah they use a different auto color routine.
    edited March 21, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    Your prints should look just like any other application you use to print -- you can always open the resulting jpeg in the other application you use to print and print from there just to double check.

Since SmugMug has EZprints use i2e by default when you send them files to print, you'd want to make sure that you have selected "True Color" rather than "auto color" to prevent i2e from trying to improve it again. The second time through actually has a pretty substatial negative impact on the image -- at least it does for me.

For any other online photoprinting site, I have no idea if they optimize or not. I do know that Zenfolio, who also uses EZprints as one of their providers, does NOT have EZprints default to using i2e, so it sounds like its pretty much based on which service you pick. You can always ask before you send the prints to them.

Thanks for the information. I just wanted to be sure I understood it all correctly before purchasing. Thanks!
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Just one question:
    On Andy's recommendations, is the setting for Contrast Shadows a plus 20 or a minus 20? It looks like it has a minus in front of it and since the ones around it does not I assume it is a minus. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. Are any of the others a minus or is that just hyphens?

ABE- 50
    ACE- 50
    MCE- 100
    shadow enhancement - 60
    highlight enhancement - 100

brightness 15
    contrast highlights 0
    contrast shadows -20
    all the rest, 0
    edited April 13, 2007
    Quick question:

And forgive me if I missed it in the thread but I was wondering if the only difference between Home and Standard was the ability to process RAW without first converting to a JPEG?

I am more of a hobbyist and dont shoot in RAW very often b/c its so complex and I am not comfortable there yet, plus for most of what I do its just a hassle to go through converting from RAW to JPEG....

BUT....if it is really worthe the extra $ to go for the RAW and try using that I could be persuaded, I just wanted to get a feel from people who are more comfortable with RAW and this program. I enjoyed using it during the trial with my JPEGS and was pretty happy with most results-especially the ability to batch fix. I had some trouble with some of my own adjustment attempts but I am sure with practice I will get that, I typically used the default and it worked for the most part.

Thanks-I am anxious to purchase just want to get the one that really suits me.
    edited April 13, 2007
    At this price, why take a chance?
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    At this price, why take a chance?

basically-i have so many photo programs that do different things, I just hate to buy more than I need. I know its a great price either way but like I said, if the RAW option is the only difference, then I just want to be sure I will actually USE that option since I dont generally shoot in raw now. Did that make sense?

thanks
    edited April 13, 2007
    swcolleen wrote:
    basically-i have so many photo programs that do different things, I just hate to buy more than I need. I know its a great price either way but like I said, if the RAW option is the only difference, then I just want to be sure I will actually USE that option since I dont generally shoot in raw now. Did that make sense?

thanks
    Yep. The Standard edition works faster, too. Same color engine inside deal.gif
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yep. The Standard edition works faster, too. Same color engine inside deal.gif

Thanks.
    edited April 14, 2007
    Quick question...I was looking at the comparision chart ie2 has on their purchase page, can someone tell me what the "multilple channels" is? Its in pro not standard and I just wondered what it is.
    thanks
    edited April 14, 2007
    swcolleen wrote:
    Quick question...I was looking at the comparision chart ie2 has on their purchase page, can someone tell me what the "multilple channels" is? Its in pro not standard and I just wondered what it is.
    thanks
    You can save multiple types of settings :)
    edited April 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You can save multiple types of settings :)

so with out it, you can still try different settings just not save them for ease of use again later?
    edited April 14, 2007
    swcolleen wrote:
    so with out it, you can still try different settings just not save them for ease of use again later?
    I do not know for sure but I believe that's the gist of it. You could write Colour-Science and ask :D
    edited April 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I do not know for sure but I believe that's the gist of it. You could write Colour-Science and ask :D

Thanks. time to go shopping!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited April 16, 2007
    After trying i2e on an older machine to see if it would work to my purpose, and then buying a new computer with much better specifications just to support the software, I am now a proud registered i2e Image Editor user.

Great stuff! thumb.gifthumbway up!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    I too am now a registered i2e Image Editor user. I just spent the last 2 hours doing a comparision test on 2 seperate sports shoots I did yesterday, i2e to DPP. One was inside and one out. Speed wise i2e is the winner hands down.

I shot a couple hundred photos at each event, all raw. I need to get something posted quickly for one event (the indoor event) and I can certainly do that with i2e.

Thanks for bring this product to us at a more affordable price!!!:ivar