Options

SmugMug BETA RC1 - Jan 10th, 2007

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Do we have to put our CC info in the beta site to get a pro account? I was just leary of CC info on a beta site.

thumb.gif
    yours is a pro account now.
  • Options
    nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Image sizes
    Are there any plans to add larger standard viewing sizes? I'm often left wanting to view my images or other's images in a size that's slightly larger than the current "large" but smaller than the "full screen" size. A size like
    6"X9" would be a great viewing size!! Currently L size is about 6 1/2 X 4 1/2". thanks!
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    If you look at your original caption, you will notice that the apostrophe is really a non-ascii character (you probably wrote the caption in Word or another editor). HTML does not like non-ascii characters and can do strange things in browsers.
    richW wrote:
    I just uploaded a copy of one of the problem images. I added additional caption information. This is the caption i put in the IPTC using IrfanView.
    Viewing on the site the apostrophe has been removed.
    http://richw.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/32#6378
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    If you look at your original caption, you will notice that the apostrophe is really a non-ascii character (you probably wrote the caption in Word or another editor). HTML does not like non-ascii characters and can do strange things in browsers.
    Good reason for word > notepad > smug :D
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    {JT} wrote:

Thanks JT...
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    looks great!
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Hi - combined it a bunch of code on my beta site (was primarily concerned about the customized javascript I have for drop-downs, paypal, etc..) and everything is functioning great - good work team !!! (I will test a little more of course)

:) jr
  • Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    There are some color fixes we are in the process of making, to some themes, with respect to the pagepicker numbers and titles. These are in the works, and will soon be applied to the http://beta.smugmug.net

Sorry for the small delay on these :D

Hi ANdy,

1). OK, so what is the ID and password, I see the squeaky, but dont see the Pw...

2). What is the anticipated rollout date?

3). My biggest gripe with this wonderful Smugmug image engine, is the size of the thumbnails, they need to be 150pixel quares , not 100 pixels. When the design was originaly done screen resolutions were mostly 800 -1000 pixels, now screesn are growing the the thumbs are a bit too small.. or have a large thumb choice for the standard Smugmug 15 image screen...
    And the large is not quite large enough to fill the screen, without pixelation when one choosed the slide-show.

4). For the monthly Statistics, I Wish there was a table view, with rows and columns, of the monthly statistics rather than just the graphs... and being to drill down to the image statistics.;

Happy new year and great job.

We average over 600,000 page hits a month from 120 countries, and we get a log of great comments on www.416-1100.com so there is no big complaints.

JimW
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    FAU4U wrote:
    Hi ANdy,

1). OK, so what is the ID and password, I see the squeaky, but dont see the Pw...
    Look in your control panel, system messages from us on your SmugMug site, there is a username and password there for you to use deal.gif
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Thanks boss... it said my CC info was invalid before. I'll go play now.

Andy wrote:
    yours is a pro account now.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    When is the expected roll-out date? Are we talking days, weeks, or months? Just wondering because I was going to create a page to help my clients navigate their galleries, but if the interface is going to change this week, I don't want to invest too much time. If the interface change is still weeks/months away, then I will go ahead and get to work.

That being said, I like it. Some of the other users have made good comments, so I will just wait in anticipation.

Thanks.
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Looks Great
    The only thing i would add if someone hasn't already mentioned it would be to have the up and down arrow keys move you vertically through the gallery of images instead of only left or right.

thanks for you commitment to us.

shane mcdermott
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 14, 2007
    brjphoto wrote:
    When is the expected roll-out date? Are we talking days, weeks, or months? Just wondering because I was going to create a page to help my clients navigate their galleries, but if the interface is going to change this week, I don't want to invest too much time. If the interface change is still weeks/months away, then I will go ahead and get to work.

That being said, I like it. Some of the other users have made good comments, so I will just wait in anticipation.

Thanks.

I can't speak for smugmug, but i suggest that you might want to wait.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    nice and zippy, once it loads
    five observations:
    1. comment pages are broken currently. Any gallery with more than one page of comments seems to re-render the first page worth of comments for all pages. But it still truncates the last page at the right number.
    2. photo information dialog seems rough, unpolished. Clearly a fair amount of polish went into the new design, especially the fading in/out of images (could a cross fade be done to speed it up?) however the photo details box doesn't seem to have gotten much loving, especially in the code that resizes it when the amount of photo details change. After it slid on screen, I expected it to grow/shrink to accomidate the new content. (grow before the content changes, shrink after it changes.) Instead it just pops to the new size. You can actually catch it rendering the new text over the top of the new photo, before it paints the background larger currently... kinda funny if your a nerd like me, kinda looks tacky to others (so says the wife).
    3. no platform dependent icons!!! Can we please get rid of the windows XP theme'd "close" icon on the photobox? the smugmug theme'd lightbox version with /COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]X[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkSlateGray" is just perfect.
    4. photo info box sometimes gets weird position. As near as I can tell, this happens sometimes when you change BACK to a smugmug tab from another tab, and the top of the image is scrolled off the top of the page. I've been able to do this twice now, first time I thought I was hallucinating. It stays there as you scroll around the page too:
      123150942-S.jpg
    5. popup is inconsistent when using arrow navigation. If I use the arrow keys to move between photos (smashing good idea!) and happen to have left my cursor in the image area, then it disappears when I start navigating through the images, BUT it's position must somehow still matter, as the pop up photo controls continually pop into and out of place as I go from image to image. Perhaps, like the photo info box, they could just STAY there while replacing images under it? (and if you happen to have left your mouse just at the BOTTOM edge of a tall image, then navigate into a shorter image with the keys, it seems to go away for good, only to return when you navigate into a taller image... leaving you to wonder what the key is that some images get it and others don't.... very confusing until I figured that bit out!)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    RichSRichS Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    nalvarez wrote:
    Are there any plans to add larger standard viewing sizes? I'm often left wanting to view my images or other's images in a size that's slightly larger than the current "large" but smaller than the "full screen" size. A size like
    6"X9" would be a great viewing size!! Currently L size is about 6 1/2 X 4 1/2". thanks!

I have the same comment. On a 1680x1050 20" monitor a portrait image takes up less than 10% of the screen real estate. All of the thumbnails, controls, images, etc. together take up about 1/2 the available viewing area.

And I think I still much prefer having the size, exif, save, etc. functions under the image, instead of popping it up over and obscuring 15-20% of the image, often accidentally. Can it fly out to the right of the image? Or below it?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2007
    RichS wrote:
    I have the same comment. On a 1680x1050 20" monitor a portrait image takes up less than 10% of the screen real estate. All of the thumbnails, controls, images, etc. together take up about 1/2 the available viewing area.
    We'll get there deal.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32241
    Add your voice to that thread.

wave.gif welcome!
  • Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    I have to agree, the pixel dimensions of T, S,M,L need updating
    [
    I have to agree with the present postings, the pixel dimensions of T, S, M, L need updating, as monitor resolutions have increased dramatically since these sizes were decided yearws ago. And since there is an overhaul in process, may as well get on with this too. deal.gif

For example:

Change Sm Thumbs from 100pix to 150pix
    Change Thumbs from 150pix to 250pix
    Change Small from 300pix to 500pix
    Change Medium from 450pix to 650pix
    Change Large from 600pix to 800pix
    Create a new XLarge at 1200pix

JimW

quote=Andy]We'll get there deal.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32241
    Add your voice to that thread.

wave.gif welcome![/quote]
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Hey Guys,

I am almost positive that I bugged this in one of the previous threads.

If you are using 'useLightbox = false;' in customisation, if you click the main image the browser attempts to open a new window to display the image...however, if you have a popup blocker the window fails to open.

Firebug reports...

smugmug-200701112... (line 870)
    10:15:18 AM (20ms): global: newWin has no properties (http://devbobo.beta.smugmug.net/include/js/smugmug-20070111215919.js, line 870)
    newWin has no properties
    [Break on this error] newWin.focus();

But the major problem is that SM continues to attempt to open the window constantly.

Check it out in this gallery.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    I'm guessing you guys would have rather spent the night toasting your new successes on the beta stuff than fussing with silly old hardware, so I'll help you out.

The new auto-resizing smugmug and the spinny circle thing ROCK! I'm thinking this feature will come in mighty handy when SmugMug XL is released. :D

Question... Will there be such thing as "smugmug small" anymore, or will there just be one auto-resizing smugmug?

Great work again, guys. Anxiously awaiting the rollout!
    -Greg
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    The new auto-resizing smugmug and the spinny circle thing ROCK! I'm thinking this feature will come in mighty handy when SmugMug XL is released. :D
    nod.gif indeed nod.gif
    Question... Will there be such thing as "smugmug small" anymore,
    No
    or will there just be one auto-resizing smugmug?
    Yes.

Great work again, guys. Anxiously awaiting the rollout!
    -Greg
    thumb.gif me too. Sorry for the short replies, I was up late with JT working out a few kinks on this feature and now I gotta pack and head back to NYC - vacation over :cry
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry for the short replies, I was up late with JT working out a few kinks on this feature and now I gotta pack and head back to NYC - vacation over :cry

No worries - safe travels.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    WOW !!!! i missed this earlier ...sweet as clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    wellman wrote:
    Question... Will there be such thing as "smugmug small" anymore, or will there just be one auto-resizing smugmug?

I reckon "smugmug small" may still be a possibility since it has a different number of thumbnails...but I could be wrong ne_nau.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    WOW !!!! i missed this earlier ...sweet as clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Yeah, JT rocks. JT's got a javascript variable, too, so that if a power or pro customer, designs the page to be smugmug-wide, and insists on having 15 thumbs and medium main image all the time, then you can override the shift to 9 thumbs and small main image. I just don't know the variable, JT will post it later.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Question... Will there be such thing as "smugmug small" anymore,

No

In a sense there is ... at least right now ... though right? When you resize to a small screen you get an ajaxified loading of the smugmug small gallery style complete with the smugmug_small body tag class and all. That's good, very good!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    site customization.
    No you dont have to redo your whole site, this has nothing to do with your main site. Just create a new account through the blog link listed, its only for test any way. just upload a few images I uploaded only four and then just copy some of your customization from your site and just test to see if it works.

Thats all I did and it works just fine. The smugmug blog says its going to be deleted any way later on
    OK, I'll ask. I'm new to smugmug and therefore have not been through an upgrade before. When this goes live, it will be affecting the smugmug style, right? Does that mean that I've got to re-code all of the customization that's on my current site when the beta goes live?

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    OK, I'll ask. I'm new to smugmug and therefore have not been through an upgrade before. When this goes live, it will be affecting the smugmug style, right? Does that mean that I've got to re-code all of the customization that's on my current site when the beta goes live?
    We've done our best to make sure this is not the case, but your best bet is to get yourself a beta account and make sure. Go to your control panel and check your system messages, all the info for setting up a beta account is in there.

I have fairly extensive customization on my site and when I tested it out on the beta site everything worked perfectly. I have yet to hear from anyone who had to make any changes to their site because of the new features.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    flyout 'away' from the pic
    I've been quiet for a while...

please have an option to have the flyouts NOT appear on top of my pic... I like to use my mouse and point to details within my pics without anything getting in my way... just have the flyout (if we must have em) pop out to the right or something.

please leave an option to have cooresponding links/buttons below the pic to execute features that are currently only available via the flyout. (why have blank space where the links/buttons used to be?)

hopefully you are considering adding some features to the journal style... it, already has "pre-fetching" and I can zoom through my pics way faster than clicking on each thumbnail one at a time (ok,ok, you can use the arrow keys too)... it truely is the easiest way to view lots of pics (in my opinion of course.. mwink.gif) I've already added features (ie Journal Large) to my journal style via customization, so it can't be that hard for you guys to improve it...

-option to add comments for a pic
    -option to show comments
    -option to adjust how many pics per page (not just 10)
    -option to select what size pics to display
    -option to display selected exif info
    -check box to select pics while viewing so I can order prints of those selected.

since you have the beta site going, why not add some cool stuff for us Journal users.... please???
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    We've done our best to make sure this is not the case, but your best bet is to get yourself a beta account and make sure. Go to your control panel and check your system messages, all the info for setting up a beta account is in there.

I have fairly extensive customization on my site and when I tested it out on the beta site everything worked perfectly. I have yet to hear from anyone who had to make any changes to their site because of the new features.
    I love being the newbie that everyone can laugh at wings.gif

OK. I've set up my beta and so far I've only uploaded one image. That then creates a web page that looks exactly like my page did on the first day I came to smugmug. I guess what I'm asking is, do I (or will I) have to re-upload all of my banners, graphics, and images to the beta when it goes live; will I have to recreate my gallery structure; will I have to reload all of my images; [EDIT] will I have to re-key my customization in CSS / javascript etc, and repoint to new image names where applicable?

I doubt it, because I think someone else would have already said something, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    first thoughts
    OK, aside from my more important (for me) questions above, here are my first thoughts:
    1.) If you're going to keep the mouse-over pop-up in place, I think the options that pop-up at gallery level (rate, S, M, L, O, info, and save) should also be available as a mouse-over pop up once the user selects S, M, L, or O. Say you pick "S" and it's TOO small... then you've got to close it and pick a larger size from the underlying screen.
    2.) I'd LOVE it if the EXIF information could be selected and copied.

That's all I've got so far, but I've only seen the beta for 37 seconds.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    I love being the newbie that everyone can laugh at wings.gif

OK. I've set up my beta and so far I've only uploaded one image. That then creates a web page that looks exactly like my page did on the first day I came to smugmug. I guess what I'm asking is, do I (or will I) have to re-upload all of my banners, graphics, and images to the beta when it goes live; will I have to recreate my gallery structure; will I have to reload all of my images; [EDIT] will I have to re-key my customization in CSS / javascript etc, and repoint to new image names where applicable?

I doubt it, because I think someone else would have already said something, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

When SmugMug pushes the beta stuff to the live site, everything will be seamless. You're site will (as Mike Lane says) automagically get all the new functionality. It's technically not a matter of your images being "redone." It's all about how SmugMug's front end displays all your images, which are in its backend databases. Hope that's a little clearer than mud.

As for your customization, it should still work fine. Everything I've heard as that people are having no issues. If you want to be sure, try out your site's customization on your beta account.
    -Greg
This discussion has been closed.