SmugMug BETA RC1 - Jan 10th, 2007

1235»

Comments

• Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    renstar wrote:
    Originally Posted by EZRyder
    I agree with the many who would prefer to see the slide-out/pop-up go BELOW the image and not onto the image at all.

Consider this 5thed, 6thed, and probably 7thed and 8thed.

And 9thed. I haven't seen anyone from smugmug comment on this, so despite all of the negatives, I'm guessing it's not going to change. Perhaps a poll should be set up so it's obvious how few people like the popup on top of the image.

- Phil
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    "Save Photo" envelope on flyout feature.
    NICE!!!

The only "option", however, is to save (download) a full resolution copy of the original (a 2MB, 3MB, +++ file, perhaps). When selecting the "Save Photo" folder, would optionally offering one or two smaller file size (and therefore lower resolution) images be problematic?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    NICE!!!

The only "option", however, is to save (download) a full resolution copy of the original (a 2MB, 3MB, +++ file, perhaps). When selecting the "Save Photo" folder, would optionally offering one or two smaller file size (and therefore lower resolution) images be problematic?
    Papa, you can just allow people to drag the -L size to their desk top if you wish.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    pmaland wrote:
    And 9thed. I haven't seen anyone from smugmug comment on this, so despite all of the negatives, I'm guessing it's not going to change. Perhaps a poll should be set up so it's obvious how few people like the popup on top of the image.

- Phil
    Hi, it's not changing with this release, but we surely thank everyone for their comments!
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    it's not changing with this release

OK, then in the future, maybe a way to have its location and orientation customizable then?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    pmaland wrote:

- Phil
    I for one do like the pop up to be on top of the image.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    pmaland wrote:

- Phil
    Can you be more sarcastic or condescending, please? Perhaps if you hold your breath you'll get this small item changed to your liking. Unless - heaven forbid - TEN people then complain that they liked it the other way! Then Smugmug would be FORCED to change it back - after all, TEN PEOPLE voiced their displeasure!

Come on guys, lighten up. Seriously, if it's that bad move on to Flicker or something. The fact that Smugmug even asks for user opinion speaks volumes. Do we have to savage them over every little nit?

[edit] sorry if this comes off too harsh, I'm not in my happy place at the moment...[/edit]
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Papa, you can just allow people to drag the -L size to their desk top if you wish.

Thanks...learn sumthin gnu every day!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Hey, I know it's not changing anytime soon, but I put my vote in for leaving the flyout just as it is. I think it's very clear the way it is. The flyout and the photo are linked in a way that no one could misunderstand. THESE actions apply to THIS photo. Perfect. You don't want it in the way of the photo? Then move your fat fingers and get the cursor out of the way. Just my opinion.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I for one do like the pop up to be on top of the image.

nod.gif Me too.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    More thoughts on the flyout
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey, I know it's not changing anytime soon, but I put my vote in for leaving the flyout just as it is. I think it's very clear the way it is. The flyout and the photo are linked in a way that no one could misunderstand. THESE actions apply to THIS photo. Perfect. You don't want it in the way of the photo? Then move your fat fingers and get the cursor out of the way. Just my opinion.

I like the functionality and have no problem with it appearing over the photo. My concerns are:
    1. How do people discover it? There are zero visual cues that it exists. You HAVE to discover it by accident. That is not what any UI design wants for first time users. I have suggested some sort of icon that invites you to click it which helps you discover it.
    2. I don't like it popping up when I didn't move the mouse and interfering with my view. Because of screen layout changes when you go from vertical to horizontal photos, it's possible for keyboard navigation to cause the flyout to be up, then down, then up as you navigate with the keyboard if the mouse in in an unlucky location. I've suggested that it ONLY pop-up if the mouse actually moves some minimum threshold, just when a photo displays under the mouse and that would fix this problem. Not a high priority issue, but annoying when it does occur.
    3. I agree with one of the earlier posters, that you might as well add a few more words in the flyout to make it "View a different photo size" so it's completely obvious what that means. And, while you're at it, you should probably make it more obvious how to get back to the original view after selecting one of those other sizes. I know there's an "X" in that view, but it could be made more obvious (larger or perhaps just use the words "return to main view" since there's plenty of space).
    4. I'd like to see it NOT pop-up when I move the mouse across the image, but don't stop on the image. If you only popped it up when the mouse was over the image and was not still moving rapidly across the image, it wouldn't be visually distracting when you're just moving the mouse over to the scroll bar or some similar destination.
    5. UI nit question. Is there a reason that the pop-up tray doesn't animate out with the items already in the tray so it looks like a fully formed tray is sliding out? Instead it slides out empty, appears to bounce a bit, then fills in the contents of the tray. I think I'd prefer to see it slide out with the contents already in it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    We're doing a major internal round of testing, pretty much the entire company, right now and for the rest of the day.

If you'd like to join in and help us out, you can find us on SmugChat.

I imagine we'll be there all night. :)

Don
  • Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Can you be more sarcastic or condescending, please? Perhaps if you hold your breath you'll get this small item changed to your liking. Unless - heaven forbid - TEN people then complain that they liked it the other way! Then Smugmug would be FORCED to change it back - after all, TEN PEOPLE voiced their displeasure!

Come on guys, lighten up. Seriously, if it's that bad move on to Flicker or something. The fact that Smugmug even asks for user opinion speaks volumes. Do we have to savage them over every little nit?

[edit] sorry if this comes off too harsh, I'm not in my happy place at the moment...[/edit]

Read through the gallery comments here:

http://hotness.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/243#5909

You'll see a bunch more complaints about the popup over the image. I just don't get why it has to appear OVER THE IMAGE I'M TRYING TO LOOK AT. There's tons of black emptyness below it... it can popup to the left over the thumbnails I'm not interested in at the moment... plenty of people saying the same thing as me.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    pmaland wrote:

You'll see a bunch more complaints about the popup over the image. I just don't get why it has to appear OVER THE IMAGE I'M TRYING TO LOOK AT. There's tons of black emptyness below it... it can popup to the left over the thumbnails I'm not interested in at the moment... plenty of people saying the same thing as me.
    Well once it goes live I'm quite certain don and the boys & girls will be getting tons of feedback that you're not even aware of that will let them know for certain if the pop up should go over or not. And obviously SM has shown their willingness to listen to and act upon the opinions of its users. So between now and the time the ultimate decision is made, you'll just have to get used to it. deal.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DonovanJDonovanJ Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2007
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" for the changes in the site. I honestly can't wait!!

For the complainers.... As far as the "pop-up" over the pic goes -- they aren't going to see it unless they mouse over it, trying to see if they can do something to the pic anyway - like right-click save it.

And to all those who keep talking about "wasted space" beneath their pics.... well, I shoot 99% portrait, so there IS NO space beneath the pic, but tons of it to the right, so don't go making generalizations.

(Although in a future release, maybe the position COULD be customizable, or based on screen resolution or something.....)

Thanks again for all the hard work!!

Donovan
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    pmaland wrote:

As I said, I was in a bad mood and something in my perception of your tone set me off. I heard it something like "hey, 9 of us don't like this but since you haven't answered our concerns you must be dismissing us. Let's take a large vote so you can see that I am right and there are thousands of us upset about this." I realize that is entirely my own interpretation of your typewritten words (meaning no tone of voice is available for me to factor into my interpretation of your intent).

So, as I said before, sorry to come off harsh.

Moving on, I disagree with your preference to have it pop over the thumbs. I use the thumbs to determine which ones I want to see bigger, so this would be a major pain for me. I just don't mouse over the big photo when I am looking at it. My personal preference would be a flyout that stays hidden unless you click a little arrowed pane on the side of the image. But I know why that is not a good solution for the masses, so I can deal with things as they are.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I like the functionality and have no problem with it appearing over the photo. My concerns are:
    How do people discover it? There are zero visual cues that it exists. You HAVE to discover it by accident. That is not what any UI design wants for first time users....
    I agree with one of the earlier posters, that you might as well add a few more words in the flyout to make it "View a different photo size" so it's completely obvious what that means. And, while you're at it, you should probably make it more obvious how to get back to the original view after selecting one of those other sizes. I know there's an "X" in that view, but it could be made more obvious (larger or perhaps just use the words "return to main view" since there's plenty of space).

And the earlier poster thanks you for coming out publicly and agreeing! For those who eat, sleep and otherwise deal with all this wonderful technology on a daily basis, of course it's "easy" to understand and it's "completely clear". But the rest of us appreciate plain English instead of icons ad-nauseum or space-saving jargon that doesn't make things entirely clear. Using "return to main view" is pretty darn clear. Big or small, though, an "x" is still, well....just an "x".

Am I happy about the improvements?...YES, very! Are there legitimate points of constructive criticism? YES, definitely...and non-geek users provide some useful criticism because they're not all tied-up in love with the technology for technology's sake. I'm glad Smugmug provides an opportunity to present feedback before locking-in something that's potentially easy to change pre-launch. It often seems more problematic to change post launch.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    It often seems more problematic to change post launch.
    Not always true :D

We puked badly when we first launched lighbox a year ago. We changed it dramatically after a lot of customer feedback.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    Originally Posted by papajay

I meant "genericly", not so much Smugmug-specific.

Andy wrote:
    Not always true :D

We puked badly when we first launched lighbox a year ago. We changed it dramatically after a lot of customer feedback.

Another reason why Smugmug has so many loyal customers...your customer feedback system is about as "public" as it gets through Dgrin. It takes some guts to open the doors to criticism, to accept responsibility , and to do something about it when warranted, all in a public forum. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    Originally Posted by papajay

I meant "genericly", not so much Smugmug-specific.

Another reason why Smugmug has so many loyal customers...your customer feedback system is about as "public" as it gets through Dgrin. It takes some guts to open the doors to criticism, to accept responsibility , and to do something about it when warranted, all in a public forum. bowdown.gif

wave.gif join us in our TESTING PARTY, papa :D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51791 and you can see us tonight all with our hair down lol3.gif
  • Options
    nocturne1nocturne1 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Not sure if this was previously mentioned, but when you click on "Share", it has links for email and blog, however, the forums page is the only one that's active, even when you click the other ones:
    Flaunt your photos: email | blog | forums
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    We're getting really really close now, and as a result we're on to RC2!

Don
This discussion has been closed.