Options

motorcycle racing

13»

Comments

• Options
    barpbarp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2007
    what the heck....i can't resist. i came in here looking for help on customizing my smugmug site, and of course....got sucked into the first motorcycle thread i saw. it's just in the blood....i ride them, i shoot them, i love them!

aaron-smith-launch-800.jpg

chad-johnson-launch-800.jpg

steven6.jpg

wp.
    www.dapixa.com
  • Options
    galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    anyhow, i primarily shoot motorcycles at the track... some street stuff too. figured i'd share a few for giggles. :D

Very nice photos. thumb.gif

But I think $10 for an image is outrageous.

I'd lower it to around $8.50.

Or maybe even $3.

These professional motorsport photographers act as if they need an income that covers expenses for government fees, mortgages, vehicles, equipment depreciation, business and health insurance, child care, and retirement plans.

Everyone knows these expenses don't exist, so when they sell their photos for $10, they are able to easily sustain a thriving six-figure income.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Saxon wrote:

$10...for an 8x10, outrageous? You are off your rocker..........:D I know we should all give our stuff away! thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    awwwww, yeeeaaah! i LOVE this shot. wide dirt shots rock. glad we sucked you in enough to share! good stuff! look forward to seeing more. :D

barp wrote:
    what the heck....i can't resist. i came in here looking for help on customizing my smugmug site, and of course....got sucked into the first motorcycle thread i saw. it's just in the blood....i ride them, i shoot them, i love them!

steven6.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    Saxon wrote:
    Very nice photos. thumb.gif

I'd lower it to around $8.50.

Or maybe even $3.

These professional motorsport photographers act as if they need an income that covers expenses for government fees, mortgages, vehicles, equipment depreciation, business and health insurance, child care, and retirement plans.

Everyone knows these expenses don't exist, so when they sell their photos for $10, they are able to easily sustain a thriving six-figure income.

haha! i'm not sure whether to read sarcasm in your post or not! haha!

$10 = original image. my competitors charge $25 for the same.

taking pics ain't cheap...i'm sure you know that. :)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    Call it satiric humor.

It seems to me that charging what amounts to lunch money for a photographic service is declaring war on every professional photographer with a real business trying to make a living. That was my point about $10 photos.
    In the spirit of helpfulness, there are several good resources out there: ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography, for example. Well, that's enough as it's probably more appropriate for the business section of the board.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    Saxon wrote:
    Call it satiric humor.

It seems to me that charging what amounts to lunch money for a photographic service is declaring war on every professional photographer with a real business trying to make a living. That was my point about $10 photos.
    In the spirit of helpfulness, there are several good resources out there: ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography, for example. Well, that's enough as it's probably more appropriate for the business section of the board.

Cheers

i rely on bulk ordering. i mean, back before i was shooting at the track and simply doing trackdays, it was a little annoying how much pics would cost at the track. i've seen as high as $100 for a CD. that's more than half of the cost of most trackdays! f-that. i charge LESS that way i can sell to more people. $40 for a CD of all their pics for the day seems fair. i also based my pricing given that most people tend to have two $20 bills in their wallets... impulse buys = $$$$$$.

i'd rather sell to 80 people in a day and make $3200 than sell to 40 people and make $3200. :) that means i've got 40 more happy customers. hence: 4 the riders.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    PS - saxon...i checked out your portfolio...great shots! :)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    PS - saxon...i checked out your portfolio...great shots! :)

Thank you!
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Saxon wrote:
    Call it satiric humor.

Cheers

Ahh, humor....nope didn't detect that at all. Can't really tell if someone is serious or not with just typed words. Try one these...rolleyes1.gif it helps read your mood.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    samwisesamwise Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    I've been taking pics of the TT races here on the island for the last few years on my Nikon Coolpix 3500 - the vast majority don't come out well, mostly to my lack of skills, partly to the camera not being that quick and needing a longer optical zoom than it has, so I'll probably be upgrading to something else this year (especially as the camera hasn't been happy since I came off my bike with it in the breast pocket - there was a crunching sound when I rotated the lens 11doh.gif )

Anyway, here's a couple of mine:

73190514-M.jpg
    Bit of cropping needed, methinks
    72198430-M.jpg
    so close to a good shot, yet so far :D

Loads more work needed to learn stuff etc, but that'll have to wait for two reasons - no racing at the moment :D and the new camera choice ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Maladin taking the lead at VIR
    90263858-L.jpg
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    thought i'd throw in a couple from Atwart Kart Track as i was just browsing some old files just now. :D

i'm amazed by how awesome your guys' shots are as well. please, keep posting! i love moto+photo, so this thread is AWESOME, IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    another of #40, danny casey, SMUSA.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    anyone ever shoot MC racing at night? or close to night before? i've only had one chance... my pics were garbage too...even using the 1.8 @ 1600 ISO. only a few came out halfway decent...