*Triptych, ginger Chal 30

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 17, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
14024758-L.jpg

1/10/2005
Birds Of Shem Creek

I tried uploading a full sized "one", that wouldn't happen, so I went to a length max of 800, it seemed to work. I would prefer to enter mine as horizontal triptychs. Is this OK? Any other suggestions? I think they look better this way, like a triptych should, or something.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    Hi Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14024758-L.jpg

1/10/2005
    Birds Of Shem Creek

I tried uploading a full sized "one", that wouldn't happen, so I went to a length max of 800, it seemed to work. I would prefer to enter mine as horizontal triptychs. Is this OK? Any other suggestions? I think they look better this way, like a triptych should, or something.

ginger

I like the pictures of the birds. The placement of the individual pictures doesn't feel right though. First, I think it would look better if the horizontal pic was in the center. Then, I think the the other shots should be exactly the same size and lined up exactly. Then the space between each picture should be exactly the same. Sounds awfully pickey doesn't it. But, I'm a real stickler for detail. I don't know if this would work for the sequence of your shots, but just looking at them, it seems OK to me.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    They wouldn't move. I was lucky to get them anywhere. Thanks for mentioning them, though. I am like just exhausted, and I still have a CF card to upload.

I am not a stickler for detail........ but after I couldn't get that one in the middle, I realized it looks better at the end. Different sized birds? two are.

I have to do this thing, too tired to type.

g
    edited January 10, 2005
    Rifle Range Road
    14031332-L.jpg

I know I already put this on dgrin somewhere, it is lost, as tired as I am, if I put it in someone else's thread, I apologize.

ginger
    edited January 10, 2005
    Colors of the Creek 1/10/2005 ginger
    14035647-L.jpg

I like this format a lot.
    I am not out of this one at all.

ginger
    edited January 10, 2005
    Hi Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14035647-L.jpg

ginger

Looks like your getting the hang of it. If you want to be able to move the pictures around, you have to have each one in a separate layer. I know that much. I still have to work on the details of borders and backgrounds. I tried a llittle bit with your first one. I still have to take some shots to play around with this.
    Here's my effort.
    edited January 10, 2005
    Oh, that's not right...
    I can see that changed the dimensions of those pictures as I resized them. Well, the problem was in trying to cut your pics out of the one image. If I did my own, I would make sure that each image was the same size as I saved the separate images then put each one into a layer on a new image background. We need a tutorial on this. headscratch.gif
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14031332-L.jpg

ginger
    This is my fav so far. I like the sepia too...it adds to the rustic feel of it. The first one with the birds is okay, but I agree wtih Snappy on the details. The flow doesn't work.
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14035647-L.jpg

ginger

Ginger,
    I like this idea. I'm thinking that similar colors in all the shots, like all blues, would be good. Or else, maybe all different colors, like red, blue, yellow. The water theme ties it together, but I feel the need for more color in this one.

I like the sepia tone one with the houses and the laundry. I think that's the best so far. :D
    edited January 11, 2005
    Snappy, I appreciate what you did with the birds, it may not be perfect, but I like it.

I was too tired to do anything last night but see what those three ideas did, and if I could do it. I did it, kind of, but I never could get them in separate layers, you know 3 stacked on each other. Then the third one would go invisible on me. And that was as it was getting later. Actually, it felt like 3 AM, but it was only 11:30, that was how wiped out I was.

I like the colors of the creek best so far, and the birds......as you did them. Only I can see them with a 1% amt of white around them then the black, or something. I am fine at doing frames, but the triptych thing kind of messed me up. I wonder if they can be stitched together?

The colors of the creek is so cheerful, and that darn pelican centered. Well, it just makes me happy. The other birds goes without saying, I was quite pleased to "get". The problem is that only certain ones are in focus, and it takes a bunch of time to find the ones that are. So when I got those three....I went with it. Was not meant to be final, but I really like them.

The Rifle Range Rd, there is a history there. It was all rural when I moved here in 1985. Now that area is surrounded by million dollar houses, or a bit less sometimes, I have been so happy that a part of the rural has remained.
    I photographed it last spring, but it was on my mind yesterday that it might make a series, ie triptych. So I went back. One of the larger properties is now for sale. The residents kept sending a man out to find out what I was photographing for, and then what I was photographing of. I know those blacks do not like their photos taken, and they were already not happy, so I did not take any people, except I snuck in a couple of children: decided not to use them.

That area will be gone in a very few years. It is a part of the black rural south sitting in the middle of the new upscale rich. At least they are going to get a lot of money for their property, but I will feel the loss. I told him that was why I was taking the photos, which really is why I was/am.

I love to see clothes hanging on a line. Things were going my way yesterday as far as "finds" were concerned.

ginger
    edited January 11, 2005
    Birds In Color 1/11/2005
    14073698-L.jpg
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    Hi Ginger,

I really like this one. You may want to swap the positions of the first two, I think it will balance it out a little more.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14073698-L.jpg
    edited January 11, 2005
    A larger view
    http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/gallery/353022/1/14073698

That is the link to my gallery. The originals are there, I featured this one of the birds in color, but you can look at the others if you want. Just click on original and you can see these in a decent size.

ginger
    edited January 11, 2005
    Thanks, Judy. I will try that, the swapping of those two. Tomorrow.:D

It sounds like a good idea after I kept looking at them.

ginger
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    judyfuess wrote:
    Hi Ginger,

I really like this one. You may want to swap the positions of the first two, I think it will balance it out a little more.
    I agree with judy, with that I like it.
    -Mike
    edited January 12, 2005
    Birds, rearranged
    14105604-L.jpg
    edited January 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14105604-L.jpg

This is very nice, Ginger. I like the way the shoreline seems to wrap around the composition in the two end photos. The taller birds on the ends and the shorter ones in the middle. It really works. Didn't you plan it that way when you shot it? :D Sure looks like you did. Like the frame too. The basic black sets it off. Good job!
    edited January 12, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    This is very nice, Ginger. I like the way the shoreline seems to wrap around the composition in the two end photos. The taller birds on the ends and the shorter ones in the middle. It really works. Didn't you plan it that way when you shot it? :D Sure looks like you did. Like the frame too. The basic black sets it off. Good job!
    Thanks, Snappy, I hadn't noticed the shoreline wrapping around, but I am glad it does. Actually, I resized the birds a bit, was worried about keeping that consistent. And I knew the order in which I was going to put them, thanks to Judy's helpful critique.

The color I picked up from your helpful demo of the birds earlier.
    So those were two helpfrul critiques.

I do want to keep mine horizontal, should mention that somewhere else. I don't like the idea of scrolling down. To me the idea of a triptych is partly in the "design", the way things work together when first seen. Not the individual pictures, though they are important, they do not, in themselves, denote "triptych" to me.

I do like the napping baby, but I plan to keep mine horizontal.

thanks you all,
    ginger

got another one, too.:D
    edited January 12, 2005
    14113918-L.jpg

14113917-L.jpg

I tried flipping, different photo in a different place. Do not have any others of that bird. This is the best I could come up with. I love the look that bird is giving me in the first shot, then the portrait is good, the last one just finishes it off. It does not look good flipped, that is why it is not in front. Besides, the good one catches your eye first this way. I tried the black with/without a grey line in front.

ginger
  • RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Snappy, I hadn't noticed the shoreline wrapping around, but I am glad it does. Actually, I resized the birds a bit, was worried about keeping that consistent. And I knew the order in which I was going to put them, thanks to Judy's helpful critique.

The color I picked up from your helpful demo of the birds earlier.
    So those were two helpfrul critiques.

I do want to keep mine horizontal, should mention that somewhere else. I don't like the idea of scrolling down. To me the idea of a triptych is partly in the "design", the way things work together when first seen. Not the individual pictures, though they are important, they do not, in themselves, denote "triptych" to me.

I do like the napping baby, but I plan to keep mine horizontal.

thanks you all,
    ginger

got another one, too.:D
    Wonderful work, Ginger! thumb.gif

While looking at the general tones, an idea crossed my mind: how would it look like in Sepia?

Have you tried it or would you like to?

Roger
  • RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14113918-L.jpg

14113917-L.jpg

I tried flipping, different photo in a different place. Do not have any others of that bird. This is the best I could come up with. I love the look that bird is giving me in the first shot, then the portrait is good, the last one just finishes it off. It does not look good flipped, that is why it is not in front. Besides, the good one catches your eye first this way. I tried the black with/without a grey line in front.

ginger
    As one of the pics has black background and the other 2 have white one, have you tried putting a silver or gray background to the triptych?

Roger
    edited January 12, 2005
    I did some on the first page in sepia. Thanks for the suggestion, Roger.

I will probably put some more up from yesterday and the day before, both kind of blah cloudy days.........but the birds were there.

This is more work than I thought it would be, even when it goes smoothly.

Smile, ginger
    edited January 12, 2005
    Thanks for that suggestion on the background color, too, Roger. I am kind of a "black" person. Besides ............ well, no I had not thought of it. The white was because I was too worried about the idea of a triptych to think of the black which is usually what I go with. I want the emphasis on the photos not the background, that is my excuse anyway. I had seen a lot of triptychs online done with just white, so that is why I went that way.

ginger
    edited January 12, 2005
    A place in the marsh where old fishing things go to die
    14117566-L.jpg
    edited January 12, 2005
    Birds in a different color
    14119291-L.jpg
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14031332-L.jpg

I know I already put this on dgrin somewhere, it is lost, as tired as I am, if I put it in someone else's thread, I apologize.

ginger

G, I really like this one... I think it tells a story. The others are great shots too, however, this is my fav.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited January 12, 2005
    johno wrote:
    G, I really like this one... I think it tells a story. The others are great shots too, however, this is my fav.

peace.
    johno~
    It is certainly up there with my favorites, and it will "last" the longest as a favorite, but I figured I need people in there for that heart strings appeal. I suppose I have people in that I have the "things" of people. I will think on it.

Those people don't want me taking photos, I really would not ask them for a picture. And without anyone to "hear" for me, I can't understand them that well. I can tell that they are annoyed and shouting at me. I promised the man I was not a pro and would not take people. I have a shot with two little kids in it, but I don't think it would do it. I will check on it.

I can just see it now. I pussyfoot around, am scared of their yelling at me and all, can't hear them. What I can see is a big feature story with lots of photographs in one of the main papers here. Happens to me a lot.

I would have to hire an interpreter, I just pretend to hear. I fill in the gaps, I did hear some things, but not enough to "get friendly" enough for him to like me and want to help me, or anything. My husband says he can't hear and interpret at the same time.

Ignore all that, just blowing off steam. It sounds so easy when Andy says he has a conversation with someone and they let him take their photo. I think, yes, I should be doing that..........won't happen.

ginger (I will check out the one with the kids coming out of the door. I was pretending to take a photo of the clothes line, but I didn't want to push it. That makes me nervous and I do have a problem with shake then.)

It is a story to be told.......I don't know why they are still there, and I don't know why there is one of their houses for sale now. Is it over?
    edited January 12, 2005
    Ginger,
    I really like the silver grey background for the birds. It makes the bird pictures just pop out.

I actually find the white a little bright for the sepia pictures. White almost seems too bright and overpowers the pictures.

I tried a vertical panel setup and I like it. I don't have to scroll at all to see the Smugmug L size on my monitor. It certainly would let you see more of the detail in your house pictures. Just an idea.
    edited January 13, 2005
    Snappy, I hear you on the white color, unfortunately, or fortunately, or whatever, I can't find that I saved all the photos when I did that sepia thing. I have tried and I can't match the colors. Even to three photos, maybe I am just tired. I have an appt tomorrow afternoon. It would be best if I don't get caught up in this stuff. I never know, though.

Thank you for commenting on the silver frame. It was Roger's idea, worked great.

ginger

I still want to stay horizontal, though your flowers do look great. If I stay with the silver framed one, I think those photos pop right out, even though they are small. Some others aren't as effective, or something.

It would be my definite choice, I just don't see that many people getting emotional about birds. But I like it, spent a lot of time, really, on taking those bird shots. Why did I take them if I cared about other people's emotions?

Oh, well....................... am really tired.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 13, 2005
    i think the gulls are the best so far. the central portrait/closeup of the gull really grabs your attention and is the focus of the triptych, as it should be. then you have the supporting photos on either side. Classic.

only technical suggestions: the gray background helped, but any chance you can make the background consistent in all the shots? You could PS it, or maybe even reshoot another gull closeup in similar light. I think the PS route might be easy, as that is already a great closeup shot and the background is all black. You could easily clone in the color from the other 2 shots.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i think the gulls are the best so far. the central portrait/closeup of the gull really grabs your attention and is the focus of the triptych, as it should be. then you have the supporting photos on either side. Classic.

only technical suggestions: the gray background helped, but any chance you can make the background consistent in all the shots? You could PS it, or maybe even reshoot another gull closeup in similar light. I think the PS route might be easy, as that is already a great closeup shot and the background is all black. You could easily clone in the color from the other 2 shots.
    Thanks for the suggestion and the comments. I have been trying to figure out where that black background came from. It is in all the head shots. Almost seems like I took a bird into the studio, photographed head shots or extreme closeups on black, then switched to a white background. It is all nice and studio clean. rolleyes1.gif I just can't figure out the black. I know where the white came from. I was sitting on the dock waiting for the "good" birds and this darn gull decided to clean and just do stuff in front of me, I got bored, and I shot up using the sky as a background. Remember I did that with Bill. But a black?

Anyway, wonder if I could reshoot? Not today anyway. I am not sure I wouldn't lose something by making them all one color. Sometimes things work because of what appears to be a flaw......that has been my experience anyway. The only way to know for sure would be to try. PS would be something I could try, you are right, if any one should be easy that one should. But I do have an appt in an hour or so......

ginger