*Triptych, ginger Chal 30

2»

Comments

• obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Hmm, no, the gulls look natural to me, I thought it was a very good trio, particularly with a darker background.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    I like it the way it is...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion and the comments. I have been trying to figure out where that black background came from. It is in all the head shots. Almost seems like I took a bird into the studio, photographed head shots or extreme closeups on black, then switched to a white background. It is all nice and studio clean. rolleyes1.gif I just can't figure out the black. I know where the white came from. I was sitting on the dock waiting for the "good" birds and this darn gull decided to clean and just do stuff in front of me, I got bored, and I shot up using the sky as a background. Remember I did that with Bill. But a black?

Anyway, wonder if I could reshoot? Not today anyway. I am not sure I wouldn't lose something by making them all one color. Sometimes things work because of what appears to be a flaw......that has been my experience anyway. The only way to know for sure would be to try. PS would be something I could try, you are right, if any one should be easy that one should. But I do have an appt in an hour or so......

ginger

Hi Ginger,

For what it's worth, I like the black background on the center picture. I think it is the reason the photo grabs your attention. The contrast between the black background and the white bird. The other birds have a black post that they are standing on, so they can't go black. I like it as is. Just my opinion of course, these things are so subjective. It seems well balanced as it is and the pictures are all crisply in focus.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    thanks, all and Snappy, I agree. The flaw that makes the photos work so wellrolleyes1.gif

appt with my oncologist, regular appt, but late as usual.

bye,

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Hi Ginger,

I really like this one. The grey looks great! You may also want to try more of a brownish background ... Not sure if this will help or not :)
    Also would it be possible to have the bird in the first picture moved down a bit?

-Judy

ginger_55 wrote:
    14119291-L.jpg
    edited January 13, 2005
    If I could have moved that bird down, I would have. Except for the change to 5 X 7, those are all full frame, and that one, I used all of the top there was and wished for more.

I frame in the camera, and it can get me in trouble.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

ginger,

I suppose a whiz with PS might know how to move the frame up and pour the same color as the background in, seamlessly and perfectly. The bird should only come down a tad or there would be a size difference.

I wonder how to do that??????ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    edited January 14, 2005
    Bird In Silver
    I did it! I gave the bird some head room! It was easy, too. Looks OK to me right now, hope it doesn't fall apart.

14177606-L.jpg
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I did it! I gave the bird some head room! It was easy, too. Looks OK to me right now, hope it doesn't fall apart.

14177606-L.jpg

Great goin' Ginger, I was going to suggest cropping your pictures to 8x10 and making a proportionate frame. That would make them a little more square than 5x7. It might be a better shape for these birds. It will still reduce down to a good shape for viewing.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited January 14, 2005
    Winter from the Battery
    I know, I know, I am going to use the seagull, but I took these photos yesterday since I was downtown anyway, so I worked them up. It is the very tip of Charleston, from which the battle of the civil war could be seen, or at least from the houses behind the park. Some of this was swamp land then, I think. I drive by every once in awhile to see if it is still there.

There was another photographer there. That was very exciting, he told me of some places to go to shoot birds. Etc. I was a bit smarter this time, I got his phone number first off. g

14202443-L.jpg
    edited January 14, 2005
    The Battery, Charleston, South Carolina, low country, east coast, USA
    I made this better. In the middle I am standing in the same place, but I have turned to look up East Bay St. The big yellow house, first one, it is one you could think of them sitting foolishly to watch a war rage. It is quite an historic area. I have toured the yellow house in a garden tour. g

14211768-L.jpg
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Ginger,

Your doing a great job with this challange.

Keep up the good work!thumb.gif
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • beebibibeebibi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    14113918-L.jpg

14113917-L.jpg

I tried flipping, different photo in a different place. Do not have any others of that bird. This is the best I could come up with. I love the look that bird is giving me in the first shot, then the portrait is good, the last one just finishes it off. It does not look good flipped, that is why it is not in front. Besides, the good one catches your eye first this way. I tried the black with/without a grey line in front.

ginger
    Great work, Ginger... fine bird shots - I definitely prefer the black background with the grey surround the best - the silber background is nice but black looks so classy - so sophisticated!

You see, it emphasizes the dominant pic in the middle which also has a black background - also the pics on the outside have lots of white in their backgrounds and consequently will stand out more with the black overall background.... Hope I make myself clear enough, English is not my native language :D

Just one more thing - if you could give the bird in the left pic. more headroom like you did in your version with the silver background, it would be perfect!!!

Having said all that, bear in mind that this is only my opinion - my advice is: go with your original instincts thumb.gif
    Cheers, Bee
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Hi Ginger,

Great job!! I don't seen any lines or anything. It looks a lot more balanced!
    -judy
    ginger_55 wrote:

14177606-L.jpg