Options

Suggestions to replace an ancient laptop please

Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited March 29, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I am almost getting forced into doing the upgrade that I have put off for a long time.

I will be coming from a Dell Inspiron 7000 purchased in 1999. It is the A400LH PentiumII with Intergrated Cache, 15.0 XGA Active Matrix Display, Floppy Drive Included. It has 128MB SDRAM, 1DIMM, 56k Internal Modem, 4XDVD, + Software Floppy Drive with Software Decoding, ATI 8MB Video Card, 6.4GB Hard Drive, Windows 98 Second Edition. I have added a PC Card that gives me 4 USB 2 ports in addition to the 2 USB 1 ports that are available with the port replicator. Also external is a Parallel Port 250 Zip Drive, USB 2 hard drive at 40GB, a CD-RW that uses one of the USB 2 ports. A card reader (used for compact flash) is also a USB 2 item. My scanner and printer use the USB 1 ports.

The pressure comes from the fact that the Microtek ScanMaker V6USL scanner is older as well and although a XP driver is available I double if one for Vista will be coming. Also, I have no desire to be an "early adaptor" of a new operating system from M$.

I run such things as the WordPerfect Office 12 suite (Small Business Edition). I upgraded to that version for the Paint Shop Pro 9 software that is included. But, I find myself still using PhotoShop 6; probably mostly because I am familiar with it. I do use the other parts of the WordPerfect Suite. My camera is the Canon D60 which was purchased used in 2005 — does that give you some idea how I squeeze a budget?

Just what do I need to look for in a laptop running XP that is powerful enough to go to Vista Home Premium if the day comes that I want or need to? What brand would you suggest? I am in the US. Dell has gone to all Vista on their Inspiron line unless you go with a refurb. The refurb would actually have an advantage of a lower price probably.

Thanks in advance
Jane B.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Anything you get is going to seem like greased lightning, compared to what you have now.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    How do I stay signed in!
    I started a reply and took quite awhile looking up all of the information as I wrote. I hit post and found it did NOT post. I was informed that I was not signed in or did not have permission. To make it even worse eventhing I wrote seems to be completely gone!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Anything you get is going to seem like greased lightning, compared to what you have now.

I agree! But, I am in a finiancal position where I need to find what I will be able to use the longest with the least up front cost. I know they don't really go together but I think you know what I mean.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    I started a reply and took quite awhile looking up all of the information as I wrote. I hit post and found it did NOT post. I was informed that I was not signed in or did not have permission. To make it even worse eventhing I wrote seems to be completely gone!
    You've probably got cookie issues in your browser on that old system of yours. Dgrin requires cookies to be accepted.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You've probably got cookie issues in your browser on that old system of yours. Dgrin requires cookies to be accepted.

Not really. I have it set to ask me and I am inclinded to turn them down until I find that I just have to accept them.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    I agree! But, I am in a finiancal position where I need to find what I will be able to use the longest with the least up front cost. I know they don't really go together but I think you know what I mean.
    Sure do!

A laptop isn't the best way to stretch your bucks or the computer's lifespan.

Desktops cost less, are more easily upgraded and will therefore have a longer useful life. Personally, when buying, I'd focus on processor speed (Intel's Core2Duo is top of the heap at this moment) and RAM memory capacity.

RAM capacity, because adding RAM as you can afford it is an easy way to improve your machine's speed.

Processor, because mostly you're stuck for life with the processor you buy, so you might a well make it a good one. Other than Mac Pros, which I'm guessing are out of your price range, I don't think there are machines in which you can upgrade the processor. Someone who knows what they're talking about might correct me.

Just my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth, I'm no expert.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    wxwax, that is a compromise that I am willing to make. I have really enjoyed having a laptop. I don't carry it around that often; but it takes up less room at home and I really enjoy knowing that I CAN easily take it along when I do want to (even if it is just out to the patio when it is pretty out) until you hang as many external upgrades on it as I have with one this old onerolleyes1.gif .
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I am looking. Can you solve these?

In looking for possible connection of my scanner, Microtek ScanMaker V6USL, I got nothing by using google as suggested on the Apple site. Linking to Microtek’s site and checking that model did bring up reference to OS 9. Where would that leave me with the latest which I think is OS X?

My backpack cd-rw is for Windows; but, I would want DVD writer on next computer (what DVD built in to the computer I have is just rom).

My Buslink USB 2.0 external hard drive just mentions Mac OS 8.6-9.x and USB 1.x support. Not sure what would happen if connected to OS X. It does mention Windows XP and USB 1.x & 2.0.

They seem really proud of the fact that M$ Office works with Mac. BUT, I DO NOT LIKE M$ Office. I use WordPerfect Office 12 Small Business Edition. I upgraded to that version for the Paint Shop Pro 9 that is included but find myself using my old PhotoShop 6 mainly because what comes from my Canon D60 doesn’t seem to need things that it won’t do and I am familiar with it. I DO use the other things from the suite. WordPerfect does not have a Mac version.

My old PhotoShop is labeled for Windows, no mention of Mac also being on that disk.

I like my 15" screen and to get 15" in Mac I would have to go to the MacBook Pro which Apple’s site says STARTS AT $1,999 (you might as well say $2,000)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    I am looking. Can you solve these?

In looking for possible connection of my scanner, Microtek ScanMaker V6USL, I got nothing by using google as suggested on the Apple site. Linking to Microtek’s site and checking that model did bring up reference to OS 9. Where would that leave me with the latest which I think is OS X?

I'm pretty sure there's fix for this, I have a message out to a friend that found a universal driver for older scanners, stand by.
    My Buslink USB 2.0 external hard drive just mentions Mac OS 8.6-9.x and USB 1.x support. Not sure what would happen if connected to OS X. It does mention Windows XP and USB 1.x & 2.0.
    Any USB2 drive should be fine. You may have to reformat, but the drive should be fine. I've never heard of a problem there.
    They seem really proud of the fact that M$ Office works with Mac. BUT, I DO NOT LIKE M$ Office. I use WordPerfect Office 12 Small Business Edition. I upgraded to that version for the Paint Shop Pro 9 that is included but find myself using my old PhotoShop 6 mainly because what comes from my Canon D60 doesn’t seem to need things that it won’t do and I am familiar with it. I DO use the other things from the suite. WordPerfect does not have a Mac version.
    You're in the same boat as my mom. She loves WP. MS Word is better on the Mac, by all accounts, but I know that doesn't really help. I guess you'll have to make a call on what's more important to you. You could run WP via parallels, but that's a PITA.
    My old PhotoShop is labeled for Windows, no mention of Mac also being on that disk.
    You can get a crossgrade on that, transfer your serial number to a Mac version.
    I like my 15" screen and to get 15" in Mac I would have to go to the MacBook Pro which Apple’s site says STARTS AT $1,999 (you might as well say $2,000)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the lack of a 15" MacBook can stink. The MBP is a really sweet machine, but I understand the concern. If you compared it with an equivalent PC you'd find the value to be close, but you do have fewer options when buying Mac, so that can be of little help if they don't have the size/price point that you want.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    That scanner software is VueScan. Check it out.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Well. . . . . it looks more and more like it is back to what comes with XP. It is a matter of what I already have, what I have available to make the change with, etc.

My background goes all the way back to the Radio Shack Model III. It has just kinda evolved over the the years from the 1980's. Influnced primairly, in the early years, by what we were using at work and that was Model III, IV and then PC. So, when I got my first one at home naturally I got PC to be able to bring work home easily.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Since you are looking at a XP Home laptop, teh Dell Latitude D820 comes to mind in the 15" range

I configured on @ dell.com w/ 2GB RAM, 48XCDRW/DVD, 100GB 7200rpm drive, 256 MB nVidia Quadro video card, Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 processor, XP Home, 9 cell battery for $1561. You can partition the drive if you want (they'll do it for free).

They do have larger drives but only 5400 rpm. Another 2GB RAM is $750.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    If you want XP, you should go into a store - and go quickly. Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City - all of them will be selling off whatever XP systems they have left.

There's really no need to stay away from Vista though. Your USB hard drive will work, your scanner will work (according to driverguide.com, there's already a driver). But - if you want XP, go out and find one quickly!
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I just got a mac - best $3000 I ever asked my parents to spend. rolleyes1.gif it's amazing. I tell you, I don't know how I lived so long without one! LOOK INTO IT! [MOD EDIT: Under no circumstances is it acceptable to post about buying equipment by means of lying, stealing, or anything other than legal purchase or barter.]

or you can look at the 15" it's substantially less and still a great computer! is a there a price convenience?!

- RE

like andy said, JUST CONSIDER IT, you WILL NOT regret it!

EDIT: why would it be lying or cheating if it's a direct link from their site? and on another subject...wouldn't all the talk about the B&H codes fit under that category if you follow those rules?
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    The only site I have looked at so far is Dell. The thinking there came to one of their refurb Inspirons. I would like suggestions of where else to look. Also, who has what kind of support; it has been so long I am not up to date on that either.

As far as going into a store that is about 50 miles away! I am in a small town of about 15-20 thousand when you combine 3 communities that run together (If Ziggy is in a cornfield I am in a soybeen field, I think south of him). Wal-Mart had 2 Toshiba (sp?) single core out!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    The only site I have looked at so far is Dell. The thinking there came to one of their refurb Inspirons. I would like suggestions of where else to look. Also, who has what kind of support; it has been so long I am not up to date on that either.

As far as going into a store that is about 50 miles away! I am in a small town of about 15-20 thousand when you combine 3 communities that run together (If Ziggy is in a cornfield I am in a soybeen field, I think south of him). Wal-Mart had 2 Toshiba (sp?) single core out!

personally, I would NOT get a toshiba. that's what I had before my mac, and the battery life was deplorable and after about 16 months of owning it the logic board went bad and of course it was out of warranty so it was going to cost about $700-$800 to fix which is more than the computer is worth because toshibas lose their value so quickly. I'm not familiar with the toshia customer support, but I doubt it lasts long. Dell has plenty of customer support - - - in India. I've called them multiple times because of the desktop I was forced to use between laptops, and if they have a US office, they must only hire foreign people, because everyone I talked to spoke like they were having trouble. have you looked into an HP? haven't ever had one, but I they look good and Cnet.com seems to give good reviews.

go to Cnet.com and see what the reviews are and the prices that are good for you.

Also, I don't know how fast you want a laptop, but you know, Computer companies usually do good deals around May or so because of graduation and everyone and their brother getting laptop...maybe you could wait and see? I mean, the company's gonna get their money either way, so it might not be that big of a difference, but just an idea!

um...that's all the advice I can give right now. if you have any other questions...

- RE

P.S. - Apple has award-winning customer service and I've called them multiple times, since this was my first mac I had little idea what to do so I called them about 4 times (they probably red flaged my number haha) and I didn't have to wait on hold for a long time (maybe a minute at most?) and the guy knew exactly what he was talking about, or at least he did a good job looking it up really quickly. just a tad bit of extra information :)
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Lenovo used to be the IBM laptop series. I'd Google them for reputation. Me, I've heard good things, even tho the company has changed hands.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Anyone's suggestion on a particular brand (for or against) should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Some people have had great compaqs - other people have had multiple horrible compaqs. Same with Dell, HP, Toshiba, IBM, Gateway, e-machines, etc. Every company makes lemons, even Apple, you just have to hope you don't get one. Every company has some employees who offer excellent customer service, and some who don't speak your language and can't offer any real help at all.

Buying a computer is really a craps shoot - bad as that sounds. Get the best you can afford without spending over your budget, take good care of it, and let the chips fall where they may.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Anyone's suggestion on a particular brand (for or against) should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Some people have had great compaqs - other people have had multiple horrible compaqs. Same with Dell, HP, Toshiba, IBM, Gateway, e-machines, etc. Every company makes lemons, even Apple, you just have to hope you don't get one. Every company has some employees who offer excellent customer service, and some who don't speak your language and can't offer any real help at all.

Buying a computer is really a craps shoot - bad as that sounds. Get the best you can afford without spending over your budget, take good care of it, and let the chips fall where they may.

well, I consider macs the lexus of the computer world. they're made by toyota and are one great car. then all of the other I've had experience with are the american made car that people just trade-in in a year or two because it's actually cheaper to just buy a new car then to upkeep the one they have now. I mean, I had a toshiba laptop (crap after 16 months), I've had a Dell desktop (has gotten exponentially worse and runs only when in a good mood), and I used to have an HP desktop which quickly took turns for the worse around every corner, and dad has a dell laptop that he seems to like, but he doesn't do anything very exciting like photo editing or anything. it works great if all you want to do is surf the net! And hey, I'm not a pro on apple either! I've only had my computer a few weeks! who knows, the screen might go completely dead someday, but hey, for three years, it's garaunteed to be absolutely perfect (via applecare - reasonably priced for such a great deal). so I can't tell you that macs are a must for a dependable computer, but the common trend among owners of macs are that they're awesome! that's why I got one! but then of course you have those die hard, I'm always gonna own a dell people - just like the red necks down here in Louisiana who will never drive anything other than a ford jacked up with a ladder.

either way, I can't wait to hear your decision! but did you go to cnet.com like I recommended? I'd trust them with my decision if I were you, they put things to the test. and epinions.com maybe? I mean, you need to look up reviews of certain comptuer, we can only help you so much because we're a limited number of people with a limited number of experiences to help you. people leave reviews all of the time all over the place. see what they say!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I just got a mac - best $3000 I ever asked my parents to spend. rolleyes1.gif it's amazing. I tell you, I don't know how I lived so long without one! LOOK INTO IT! [MOD EDIT: Under no circumstances is it acceptable to post about buying equipment by means of lying, stealing, or anything other than legal purchase or barter.]

or you can look at the 15" it's substantially less and still a great computer! is a there a price convenience?!

- RE

like andy said, JUST CONSIDER IT, you WILL NOT regret it!

EDIT: why would it be lying or cheating if it's a direct link from their site? and on another subject...wouldn't all the talk about the B&H codes fit under that category if you follow those rules?

Ross, what you suggested was to lie in order to get a discount that a person didn't qualify for. Stop promoting that on this site. It is not allowed. No posts, no PMs, nothing. Dgrin will not be a party to it, period.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ross, what you suggested was to lie in order to get a discount that a person didn't qualify for. Stop promoting that on this site. It is not allowed. No posts, no PMs, nothing. Dgrin will not be a party to it, period.

got it :D
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    got it :D

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Lenovo used to be the IBM laptop series. I'd Google them for reputation. Me, I've heard good things, even tho the company has changed hands.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Of course, the "starts at" price does not have what I prefer in the way of specs. but would like the pricemwink.gif. May well try their "chat" later. Would you happen to know if their ThinkPlus USB Serial Parrallel Adapter would work with a parallel 250 Zip drive?
    Jane
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Of course, the "starts at" price does not have what I prefer in the way of specs. but would like the pricemwink.gif. May well try their "chat" later. Would you happen to know if their ThinkPlus USB Serial Parrallel Adapter would work with a parallel 250 Zip drive?
    Jane

The people on their "chat" seem to think that I could attach my Zip 250 drive via the above mentioned adapter to a 3000 C200 with Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 running XP Pro.

I have also been looking at Dell's Outlet site as they have gone to Vista for their new computers. I am still not sure just what it would need on it to go above Home Basic if (when?) the day comes that I want to upgrade without changing computers. I just got the idea this morning to look and the specs. for their new ones that run the different Vista OSs and compare what hardware is one them to some in their outlet.

Also, by the way whatever happened to Gateway? It seems they used to be a real "name" mfg. but I hardly hear of them any more it seems.
    Jane
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:

Also, by the way whatever happened to Gateway? It seems they used to be a real "name" mfg. but I hardly hear of them any more it seems.
    Jane

I just bought a gateway laptop today at Best Buy. $650 for Intel Dual-Core, 1GB Ram, 100GB HDD, DVD+DL Burner. It has vista home premium though, so you may not want it. I'm rather pleased, so far.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Just my two bits to add to the party line here...

I'm into my 5th year with my Dell Inspiron 8200 P4 1.6Ghz laptop. The screen was replaced under warranty about 11 months after I bought it as the backlight failed. Couriered it to Dell on a Friday afternoon and it was back at my door Tuesday at 9:00AM. And while they had it they also replaced the DVD drive (at no cost to me) which I had not asked them to do but they did anyway. I later read that those DVD's were a problem for some users.

Under what I call normal wear and tear, after 3 years I replaced the main battery and about 4 months ago the fans. The fans required I completely disassemble the laptop. That was nerve wracking but also a revelation. Dell has an excellent guide available from their website that shows clearly how to replace the fan. Several other Dell enthusiast sites also provided nuggets of info to make the job easier. One was http://www.bay-wolf.com/index.htm.

Due that it has a "real" Nvidia graphics processor I've been able to source updated video drivers via http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ where modified drivers are available. Dell only released a couple of updates themselves so this site has been extremely valuable.

I also use an great fan control utility "I8kfanGUI" from http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html that allows me precision control over my cooling fans. I don't mind a little bit of extra noise if it means I get a few more years our of the system.

Along the way I've also sourced a 3rd party memory upgrade from http://www.crucial.com/ and installed it myself which saved a few bucks and greatly improved the system performance.

I'm now onto my 3rd harddrive update. None of them have failed.... I've just required more room on board and also wanted to upgrade the drive speed from the pokey 4200rpm original to a more brisk 7200rpm. I was able to remove my 3.5" floppy drive in its' modular bay and buy an adapter kit which let me mount a second harddrive. I've placed the original 30G 4200rpm drive in this secondary bay and it holds my photos (backed up by external drives).

This laptop normally feeds an external monitor while in the home office which I'm hoping allows me to extend the life of the backlight in the panel so that I hopefully won't have replace it again before the laptops useful life is done. The panel does get its' use though as I travel frequently all over North America with it. It's been stepped on, baked, and frozen.

I think my Dell has been a good investment in part due the large user community and accompanying enthusiast community who have provided invaluable tips and software that makes operating this laptop just a little easier.

• Options
    DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Since you are looking at a XP Home laptop, teh Dell Latitude D820 comes to mind in the 15" range

I used to have this exact laptop and I ~loved~ it. It had the most amazing battery life of any laptop I've ever had (even to date). I have also had Toshiba (crap screen, among other things), IBM Thinkpad (meh, nothing special), HP (clusters of dead pixels), G4 Powerbook (issues there too!), and am getting another HP (simply because I can get 4 GB of RAM and my company likes HP).

To refer back to what someone else says (and I'm paraphrasing here)... Get what works for you, since everyone has horror stories or great stories to tell. Take care of it and hopefully it'll last you a while :)

One other thing to consider when looking at specs for PC vs. Mac laptop is:

- The performance of applications on a Mac running an XP emulator (because that emulator will suck up resources)
    - The keyboard. Yes, the keyboard. As much as I love OSX I cannot type productively on a Mac keyboard and after making "the switch" I switched back within a few months. I have to type for a living (web development), it's the sad truth of it, and I cannot get used to the shortcuts and keyboard layout. Plus the lack of an application background in Photoshop (without having to maximize the current document) drove me nuts. I love OSX, and will use the Mac during off hours, but I can't work on it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    One other thing to consider when looking at specs for PC vs. Mac laptop is:
    - The performance of applications on a Mac running an XP emulator (because that emulator will suck up resources)
    - The keyboard. Yes, the keyboard. As much as I love OSX I cannot type productively on a Mac keyboard and after making "the switch" I switched back within a few months. I have to type for a living (web development), it's the sad truth of it, and I cannot get used to the shortcuts and keyboard layout. Plus the lack of an application background in Photoshop (without having to maximize the current document) drove me nuts. I love OSX, and will use the Mac during off hours, but I can't work on it.
    Just my 2 cents.

Just a few clarifications:

- There are no shipping Macs today that run XP through an emulator. The discontinued PowerPC CPU Macs required an emulator for Windows, but the current Intel models do not. If you want to run Windows, you have two choices: Virtualization, which is not emulation because it runs directly on the Intel chip. There is very little speed penalty. It would be like virtualization of multiple copies of Windows on a regular Windows PC. With virtualization, you run Windows within OS X, giving you near-full-speed access to applications on two platforms at once. (Three platforms if you run Unix in a terminal window.) The second choice is booting into Windows XP, which has zero performance penalty, to the point that there have been articles on the Web from non-Mac sites claiming that the best Windows laptop is a MacBook Pro. (I don't necessarily believe that, but apparently some do.)

- There is not one Mac keyboard. The MacBook keyboard isn't that great, but I have the Pro keyboard, which I have written books with. I actually bought a desktop keyboard to plug into the laptop at home, but I ended up preferring the built-in keyboard. Also, programmers seem to have no problem with the keyboard, given the reported sharp rise in Mac laptops at Unix conferences.

- in the public beta of CS3, Adobe has added an application background mode that you can access on the Mac as well.

Interestingly, if you go to PC Magazine's Editor's Choice page, there are five laptops listed, and the MacBook Pro is one of them.

None of this is meant to sway Jane B. to a Mac. If Windows is a better and more comfortable fit, get a Windows laptop. I just wanted to set some facts straight.
  • Options
    DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Just a few clarifications:
    - There are no shipping Macs today that run XP through an emulator.
    Ahh, cool. I didn't know that it wasn't running through an emulator. Bad assumption on how that worked on my part, hehe.
    colourbox wrote:
    - There is not one Mac keyboard. The MacBook keyboard isn't that great, but I have the Pro keyboard, which I have written books with. I actually bought a desktop keyboard to plug into the laptop at home, but I ended up preferring the built-in keyboard. Also, programmers seem to have no problem with the keyboard, given the reported sharp rise in Mac laptops at Unix conferences.

Well, I'm sure for many the keyboard isn't even a factor, but for some it might be, and just throwing it out there. Had I spent more time typing on a Mac before buying one I might have saved $3000+. :) So that's my preference there. As I said before, I love OSX, but I can't type on it. My hurdle is the different CTRL, ALT, SHIFT layout. Throw in the apple key and I can't type as effectively. Maybe I've been using my shortcuts in Homesite toooo long.
    colourbox wrote:
    - in the public beta of CS3, Adobe has added an application background mode that you can access on the Mac as well.

A nice addition that I'll like on the Mac and many designers on my team will love that! If that had been around 2 years ago I might have pushed through the typing hurdle and not have switched back, hehe :)
    colourbox wrote:
    None of this is meant to sway Jane B. to a Mac. If Windows is a better and more comfortable fit, get a Windows laptop. I just wanted to set some facts straight.

I appreciate the update on the XP on a Mac, wasn't something I knew about.

As for swaying, of course I agree that it's up to the user and nobody should try to sway one way or another. Just think about what the needs are and consider them all, fully. :)
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org